PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Journal-Constitution: Waiting on Artest… still

blanket
01-10-2006, 07:30 PM
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/hawks/entries/2006/01/10/waiting_on_arte.html

Waiting on Artest… still
By Sekou Smith | Tuesday, January 10, 2006, 03:50 PM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

As much as I’d like to be past this now that we’re in the 2-double-0-6, we’re still here in the Artest Zone, waiting for the disgruntled Pacers All-Star to either be traded or shelved for the season.

But one thing that’s become increasingly clear as the days pass is that the inaction on the Artest front is holding up all the other deals that could be made. And from conversations with players, several player agents and other NBA sources, there are quite a few prospective deals that have been discussed— only to be dismissed because everyone is waiting to see what happens with Artest.

Since we’re all huge fans of rumors and speculation, try this wild one on for size:

A four-team deal involving the Hawks, Pacers, Nuggets and Sonics. The Nuggets get Artest, and a much-needed dose of adrenaline for the stretch run in the always-feisty Western Conference.

The Sonics get Denver’s Earl Watson — insurance for the oft-injured Luke Ridnour and a player who’s already done time with the organization.

The Pacers get Al Harrington, another former player who fits their most glaring need: Artest’s starting role and the locker room presence and personality the Pacers have missed since trading him to the Hawks for Stephen Jackson.

The Hawks get — and you have to brace yourself for all this — injured Nuggets forward Nene, Sonics Reggie Evans and Flip Murray (both playing on contracts that expire at season’s end) and a coveted first-round draft pick, though I can’t imagine why GMs continue to chase these things when its proven that established players outperform draft picks on the regular.

Wild rumor huh?

I don’t doubt that some form of that deal might have been discussed, but keep in mind that none of the team executive involved would even justify the rumor, let alone admit to it being even partly true. But there would have to be some seriously creative planning done to make sure that deal, or something along those lines, can be done to every team’s specifications and meet the league’s requirements for blessing.

I can see the benefits for all sides, as can anyone with 20/20 vision. Something is holding things up, though — and holding things up for everyone.

I won’t blame Artest personally, since he gets the blame for everything Al-Qaeda doesn’t. But his situation is holding up the process for trades, rumored and otherwise, around the league.

I’m convinced more than ever that we’ll go down to the February trade deadline before anything happens. And even then, the Hawks might just be observers; they might prefer to keep their cap space and flexibility for summer and the annual free-agent frenzy.

That leaves the Harrington issue still unresolved. And the risks then will be the same ones we’ve been discussing here forever: You could lose him for basically nothing instead of securing players and/or draft picks for him now.

It’s strange, the more games that are played and as the days go by, we’re still talking about the same old STUFF around here. To make a move or not to make a move, my friends, that is the seemingly eternal question.

McKeyFan
01-10-2006, 07:39 PM
Talk about courting the home crowd. Atlanta would get a lot of nice stuff for a guy about to become a free agent. This rumor is goofy.

Harrington < lots of other possibilities for the Pacers

CableKC
01-10-2006, 07:56 PM
So Atlanta would get Nene, Reggie Evans, Flip Murray and a 1st round draft pick for Harrington?

Wow...that sounds good for the Hawks....where do I sign up? Oh wait...I'm not a Hawks fan...NM.

ChicagoJ
01-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Did Sekou land on his feet after he left Indy, or did he land on his head?

sixthman
01-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Where is that trade unrealistic or off-base?

If the Pacers want Al Harrington, it's a good deal for Indiana. I'm not all that hot about Al starting ahead of Danny at small forward, but I do like the idea of adding Al's post presence, especially for the times JO isn't on the floor.

Denver gets Ron Artest for what it wants at the price it is apparently willing to pay.

Seattle lands a much needed point guard in Earl Watson, one who is a much better defender than what they have now - and they only give up Flip Murray and Reggie Evans, two guys they probably won't want to spend much money on re-signing anyway.

Finally, the Hawks get Nene, arguably the best player in the deal other than Artest, and the Hawks with salary flexibility in the summer get to audition Flip and Reggie for the remainder of the year.

Don't know who is giving up the draft pick, however, to the Hawks. And not sure that any of the other teams will want to do that. Don't know if the Hawks would need a pick to pull the string on this one.

Diamond Dave
01-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Seattle's side is what makes this ridiculous IMO. Flip Murray, Reggie Evans for Earl Watson? WTF?

Tom White
01-11-2006, 02:38 PM
Seattle's side is what makes this ridiculous IMO. Flip Murray, Reggie Evans for Earl Watson? WTF?

If memory serves me correctly, one, if not both of the Seattle players have a contract clause requiring player approval of a trade. I would doubt either of those guys cherish the idea of playing in Atlanta.

blanket
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
If memory serves me correctly, one, if not both of the Seattle players have a contract clause requiring player approval of a trade. I would doubt either of those guys cherish the idea of playing in Atlanta.

Yes, to my understanding Flip and Reggie (as well as Vlad Rad) not only have to approve any trade they're in, but in doing so they lose their Bird rights, and therefore the chance to get a better contract next summer.

Don't see them taking that chance.

sixthman
01-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, to my understanding Flip and Reggie (as well as Vlad Rad) not only have to approve any trade they're in, but in doing so they lose their Bird rights, and therefore the chance to get a better contract next summer.

Don't see them taking that chance.

What you could be missing here is that the Hawks will be way under the cap this summer and one of the few teams that might be able to pay them what they think they are worth. No way Seattle is going to pay these two one dimensional players MLE money anyway.