PDA

View Full Version : Boston Herald: Losing has PAul Pierce thinking of demanding a trade

Slick Pinkham
01-10-2006, 09:15 AM
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=120677

Losing has Pierce thinking of a trade

By Lenny Megliola/ MetroWest Daily News
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - Updated: 06:41 AM EST

If the Celtics don’t turn their dismal season around, Paul Pierce can picture himself in another uniform before the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

And he wouldn’t mind winding up with a contender.

“It’s something I’d give a lot of thought to,” Pierce said before scoring 32 points in last night’s 104-102 Celtics’ loss to the Mavericks at TD Banknorth Garden.

Statistically, Pierce is having his best season.

“But I’d rather have a season like this when we’re winning,” he said.

“A career is defined by winning games and championships.”

Pierce, 28, and in his eighth season, said he feels he’s running out of time. “I’m not getting any younger,” Pierce said. “(A trade) is something I’d give a lot of thought to.”

Pierce said he might lobby for a trade himself or it could be instigated by Celtics executive director of basketball operations Danny Ainge.

Pierce entered last night’s game averaging 26.3 points, 7.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists. He’s shooting just under 50 percent.

Some teams would consider Pierce just what they needed in order to make a deep playoff run.

--------
Hmmmm.....

What teams might be in the market for a talented swingman?

Bball
01-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Do they want Artest, Tinsley, and Sjax?

-Bball

Napptown
01-10-2006, 09:22 AM
That is very nice. I do think though that it would take too much. Ainge would want to go young. Pretty sure he would ask for Artest (if still around, which he will be) Granger and either a 1st or Harrison and whatever filler it wopuld take to make salaries match.

Don't think we have any chance. But that would be sweet.

Unclebuck
01-10-2006, 09:24 AM

-Bball

I'd do that trade. Although maybe we could get their point guard West in the deal. I'm not a big Pierce fan, but maybe he's maturing to the pioint where he''ll do whatever it takes to win. One thing we know is that Pierce and Jax could not co-exist.

None of this is going to happen. The oney player the Celts likely would really want besides J.O is Granger

Raskolnikov
01-10-2006, 09:24 AM
:chin: :chin: :chin: :chin: :chin:

:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

He would be exactly what we need to make a strong playoff run...

Off course, Jack has to be shipped out if we get Paul.

Bball
01-10-2006, 09:28 AM
I'd do that trade. Although maybe we could get their point guard West in the deal. I'm not a big Pierce fan, but maybe he's maturing to the pioint where he''ll do whatever it takes to win. One thing we know is that Pierce and Jax could not co-exist.

None of this is going to happen. The oney player the Celts likely would really want besides J.O is Granger

Well, we've probably talked with enough teams in the league to know where we could find 3rd and 4th trading partners and maybe get the Celts something they'd want... somehow....

Obviously, Sjax would have to go in any scenario that brings Pierce here.

-Bball

naptownmenace
01-10-2006, 09:33 AM

-Bball

They could trade those 3 for Paul Pierce and Mark Blount. A better trade for Boston and one they might do would be Artest, Tinsley, and Scot Pollard for Pierce and Blount. The Pacer would have to throw in their trade exception to make it work though.

The Celts have been trying to move Blount's Bender-like contract (ie, a big mistake) all season so if the Pacer agree to take him they probably could have Pierce for the 3 players mentioned above.

If the Pacers could somehow get Delonte West in return that would be great too because he's showing some real promise as a PG.

PacerMan
01-10-2006, 09:36 AM
Though he's one of the longer shots, I've had a feeling for a while now that he'll be the guy we end up with.

Bball
01-10-2006, 09:48 AM
They could trade those 3 for Paul Pierce and Mark Blount. A better trade for Boston and one they might do would be Artest, Tinsley, and Scot Pollard for Pierce and Blount. The Pacer would have to throw in their trade exception to make it work though.

The Celts have been trying to move Blount's Bender-like contract (ie, a big mistake) all season so if the Pacer agree to take him they probably could have Pierce for the 3 players mentioned above.

If the Pacers could somehow get Delonte West in return that would be great too because he's showing some real promise as a PG.

I suppose I'd do that too but my oh my I don't know if Sjax and Pierce could co-exist. But, IMHO you have to take that chance in order to move forward. Maybe there's another deal down the road that could be made if Sjax has to go.

-Bball

naptownmenace
01-10-2006, 09:52 AM
I suppose I'd do that too but my oh my I don't know if Sjax and Pierce could co-exist. But, IMHO you have to take that chance in order to move forward. Maybe there's another deal down the road that could be made if Sjax has to go.

-Bball

The Pacers could always trade him to Denver for Earl Watson. They also could just move him to the bench for awhile and wait until the trade deadline to see how it works out.

DisplacedKnick
01-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I hope Pierce pitches an absolute fit and Danny Ainge has a Ron Babcock moment and trades him for Penny Hardaway or Antonio Davis.

I can't see that happening - but I couldn't see the Vince Carter trade last year either.

Slick Pinkham
01-10-2006, 11:20 AM
This would crank up the Boston-Indiana rivalry a notch.

It would require PP to actually demand it for Boston ownership & fans to accept taking on Ron. They about had a cow when Ainge brought in Ricky Davis.

Fool
01-10-2006, 11:54 AM

Agreed. Because as much as PP and Jax wouldn't work together, Ricky Davis and Jax would work even less.

Gamble
01-10-2006, 11:55 AM
Hopefully it happens but i won't bet the bank on it.
What if he goes to the Pistons, ha now there's a thought.

NPFII
01-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Hopefully it happens but i won't bet the bank on it.
What if he goes to the Pistons, ha now there's a thought.

Or Miami, or the Spurs...

If Pierce is on the block - I'd pull the trigger !

DG-33
01-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Artest Tinsley Croshere for Pierce and Blount works in the checker.

Starters: Saraunas - Jackson - Pierce - O'Neal - Foster
Bench: Danny - Fred - Blount - Johnson - Pollard - Harrison

DG-33
01-10-2006, 12:13 PM
And yeah I too hope Pierce comes out and just demands a trade. He can't be happy on such a bad team.

rexnom
01-10-2006, 12:50 PM
This has been my original dream trade but I can't see this happen unless there is a third team. What if Golden State got in an gave some young players and expiring contracts to boston and we helped by throwing in picks and scot pollard's contract then GS would finally get Artest, we'd get Pierce, and Boston would get young players, picks, and expiring contracts. Sounds too logical and too good to be true, doesn't it?

Otherwise I imagine a conversation between Donnie Walsh and Danny Ainge going a little something like this:

DW: So you up for trading Pierce.
DA: Yep, we gotta a few Pacers we like in addition to Artest. First, Freddie Jones.
DW: Ok.
DA: Future picks.
DW: I guess.
DA: Danny Granger?
DW: Goodbye!
DA: Also, you would have to take on Mark Blount's bad contract!
DW: Not gonna happen, fun talking to you.
DA: Fine, I'll just go talk to Detroit, they just offered Darko.

rexnom
01-10-2006, 01:02 PM
"There have been rumors they're [Pacers] talking to Boston about Paul Pierce"

That's from cbssportsline.com. I would love for this to happen people. To me anyone not named Jermaine or Danny is fair game.

Raskolnikov
01-10-2006, 01:17 PM
To me anyone not named Jermaine or Danny is fair game.
I would like to add Sarunas, David and Cro.

But yeah, Donnie and Larry, go for Pierce! :D

bnd45
01-10-2006, 01:34 PM
Do NOT give up Tinsley. Artest and Pollard for Pierce would be a fair offer if Pierce demands a trade.

Bball
01-10-2006, 02:18 PM
Do NOT give up Tinsley. Artest and Pollard for Pierce would be a fair offer if Pierce demands a trade.

If Artest was sane, I'd agree that was plenty... He's not. We don't need 4 PG's so any deal that can take a PG away is fine by me. And if Tinsley never plays as a Pacer again I'll be fine with that.

-Bball

ABADays
01-10-2006, 02:19 PM
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=120677

Losing has Pierce thinking of a trade

By Lenny Megliola/ MetroWest Daily News
Tuesday, January 10, 2006 - Updated: 06:41 AM EST

If the Celtics don’t turn their dismal season around, Paul Pierce can picture himself in another uniform before the Feb. 23 trade deadline.

And he wouldn’t mind winding up with a contender.

NO WAY!!!! WOW!!!!!!

microwave_oven
01-10-2006, 02:35 PM
I would not trade Tinsley unless we got a good back-up to Saras...AJ makes my head hurt.

Gamble
01-10-2006, 02:36 PM
Whens the last time Tinsley played? I just can't remember.
Plus its not like Tinsley will be healthy in the playoffs anyway so
why worry playing against him.

bnd45
01-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Well Sarunas has showed he is not a starting PG. So do you really feel confident with AJ come playoff time? The fact of the matter is Tinsley is our best PG.

ABADays
01-10-2006, 02:57 PM
Tins is closing in on only playing 50% more than Bender.

Eindar
01-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Well Sarunas has showed he is not a starting PG. So do you really feel confident with AJ come playoff time? The fact of the matter is Tinsley is our best PG.

I'd like to point out that Paul Pierce is a good enough ball-handler that he could bring the ball up, or at worst, would be a good outlet pass for AJ if he gets trapped.

I really hope this gets done. Boston is the one Eastern Conference team I would trade Artest to, because he has virtually no effect on PP's game. PP is also pretty clutch, which is something we're kinda lacking. I'd be willing to give up Artest, Tinsley and Jax. I'd also be willing to give up Artest and Granger, assuming we made another move to get rid of Jax and bring in a more consistent SG.

Anthem
01-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I really hope this gets done. Boston is the one Eastern Conference team I would trade Artest to, because he has virtually no effect on PP's game.
You've got to be kidding me.

I like Paul Pierce, but Ron owns him. On offense and defense.

Bball
01-10-2006, 03:10 PM

I would take Sarunas starting over Tinsley...
altho at this point I'd take Best starting over Tinsley :eek:

Of course there's really no debate because Tinsley isn't even playing.

I used to like Jamaal... but no longer. I began to question him and slowly soured on him and then this season I am thru with him. Good thing I'm not the GM, huh? :)

-Bball

Eindar
01-10-2006, 03:23 PM
What??????????????????????????

Artest owns PP, no way do I want to see that trade going down

Don't make me go get the game-by-game splits for Artest vs. PP

Slick Pinkham
01-10-2006, 03:24 PM

At times Ron has contained Paul Pierce very well. Some other times PP has played quite well vs. Ron.

I was the guy who went to the playoffs in the Fleet Center in Boston the year the Celtics beat the Pacers. I carried a large sign saying "Artest CAN handle THE TRUTH"

I was wrong on that occasion, unfortunately, and a few thousand Boston fans let me know all about it.

Eindar
01-10-2006, 03:39 PM
I did it anyways...

Of the 7 games Pierce played against the Pacers during Ron's DPOY season (2003-2004), he was held under 20 3 times. One of those, he scored 18 points in 29 minutes, which is still on fire. Another, he scored 19 points, so not far off from 20. And in one of the playoff games, he scored 9. So really, you could say Paul Pierce, during Ron's DPOY season, got held well below his season average...once. Out of 7 games.

larry
01-10-2006, 04:53 PM
^no that was when ron wasnt playing last year.

Pacersfan.
01-10-2006, 05:04 PM
If Pierce demands a trade, then the Celtics don't have much leverage either. In my opinion, Ron's the only player out there that could fill the void left by Pierce. Oh, aren't J.O. and Pierce good friends.......

Sollozzo
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM

I guess you either became a Pacers fan sometime after 2003 or just didn't watch the 2003 playoff series against the Celts.

Pierce TORCHED us.

In 2004, the Celts were crap. They were one of the worst playoff teams ever.

Slick Pinkham
01-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I guess you either became a Pacers fan sometime after 2003 or just didn't watch the 2003 playoff series against the Celts.

Pierce TORCHED us.

True.

http://www.nba.com/playoffs2003/round1_east3.html

about 30 ppg over 6 games.

PP had his way with Ron and everyone that series, though often Ron frustrated him in later matchups.

rexnom
01-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Also, let's not forget that Pierce is playing with a terrible team. Imagine if he had less pressure on him with a big man in the post (J.O.) or even a viable backup (Jackson). I am positively drooling just thinking about this trade. Anyone who prefers like four GS players not named Murphy, Diogu, Richardson or Davis in a trade over Paul Pierce is CRAZY. Paul Pierce would get us back to the top. Not to mention we would finally have a clutch scorer. I will always remember Pierce for his 19pt fourth quarter, he reached a new level for me then. The guy is almost on Reggie level clutchness, he just needs to play for a contender.

One thing to note, if we have to give up Tinsley, so be it but let's make sure we get someone else at the PG spot bc teams (like Boston last year or three years ago) have managed to always pressure our slow pgs into tos and as good as Saras is, he is a little slow, and not half the ball handler Tinsley is. And none of this talk about Pierce playing PG or bringing ir up. Pierce would replace either Danny or Jack in the starting line up. Knock on wood. I REALLY hope this trade goes through...I'm actually rooting for Boston to lose...

pizza guy
01-10-2006, 07:23 PM
The thought of Paul Pierce in a Pacers' uniform makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I would love to have PP here in Indiana. OK, so, just because the PACERS have owned PP's CELTICS, doesn't always mean Ron owns PP. He's an amazing scorer, and he has no help. The closest thing to "help" he's had was 'Toine jackin up 3's, and missing. Jackson would have to leave, that's obvious, especially since I'm anti-Jax anyways. One thing I like about Pierce is his ability to get to the FT line, and make his shots. He shoots 81% at the charity stripe, and that's a very welcome stat to the Pacers.

If we could do this, there would be some real interest in the Pacers, and certainly a move toward a better team.

DEEman
01-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Why all the talk of PP owned by Artest :S We dont play the Celtics 82 games per season. And a Artest/Tinsley combo cant beat a JO/Granger/PP combo in the Playoffs...

BTW, Celtics down by 15 tonight against the Hawks :)

rexnom
01-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Let's just get this deal done. I can honestly say now that whatever the outcome of this Artest ordeal, if we don't take advantage of the fact that Pierce wants out, I would be disappointed.

SoupIsGood
01-10-2006, 09:16 PM
Pierce is exactly what we need right now.

Who cares who owns who, this by far better than anything we could ever hope to get for Ron.

I've been hoping that some other star SG would make a trade demand, like Vince the other year. Pierce would be great.

Not getting my hopes up though. We'd either have to convince Boston that something like Artest/Tinsley/Lorbek/Pick is just what they need, or convince some other team with young talent of that, and ship the young talent to Boston.

Sollozzo
01-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Pierce is exactly what we need right now.

Who cares who owns who, this by far better than anything we could ever hope to get for Ron.

I've been hoping that some other star SG would make a trade demand, like Vince the other year. Pierce would be great.

Not getting my hopes up though. We'd either have to convince Boston that something like Artest/Tinsley/Lorbek/Pick is just what they need, or convince some other team with young talent of that, and ship the young talent to Boston.

True. That's the bottom line.

Pierce would be superior to anyone that we have heard rumored in a possible deal.

I think Pierce and JO would work well together. As has been mentioned, I don't think Pierce and Jax would mix to well though.

rexnom
01-10-2006, 10:17 PM
Anyone remember that Nike commercial a few years back when J.O. took on Pierce? It was pretty much the last basketball-related commercial Nike did that actually involved basketball...not that I don't love the Lebrons...

By the way, I don't think this will happen because it just seems too obvious for DW. Remember the Chicago trade a few years ago? We knew some form of a trade was coming bc the Pacers were struggling but NO ONE saw the Chicago trade coming. DW even said Rose wasn't going to be traded. Rose said he was retiring a Pacer. That's what brings me down about this...then again I'm a natural born pessimist...

Frostwolf
01-11-2006, 12:20 AM
Tinsley/Pierce/Granger/O'Neal/Foster would make us contenders again.

NCPacer
01-11-2006, 01:51 AM
Another trade that works with Boston is Artest, Pollard, and Jax for Pierce and Al Jefferson. Doubt Boston would do that, but I like it.

Raskolnikov
01-11-2006, 02:07 AM
On a sidenote, that was the series when Ron tried to pull his pants down, or did or something during one of the games, correct?
I saw that! If I remember correctly Ron did pull his pants down when they were fighting for position in the paint. While running to the outside to get the ball, Pierce pulled it back up. He got the ball, did a little jab step to create some space and knocked down the 3.

Exactly the kind of player we need! ;)