PDA

View Full Version : JO's comments on WIBC after the game last night

Indyfan
04-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Did anyone else hear JO's comments last night on the postgame show on WIBC? He was asked about Rick as a coach, particularly if he was a players coach. He said something about he doesn't know what happened in Detroit and that supposedly he wasn't a players coach there but here he definitely is a players coach. I don't remember exactly what he said but it was interesting. He then talked about Rick should be COY, mostly the same things he said on the ESPN interview last week.

In Rick's conf. he was asked about being only the second coach in NBA history to win division titles his first 3 seasons, and he credited the players both in Detroit and here for his success. Then he went on about JO and how he has done great things for the team this year as a leader and a player and thats why he is a MVP canidate this year.

I'm so glad to hear how the coach and players respect each other and how that has helped them to have so much success. Kenny's comments also were very telling as UB talked about in the thread about Kenny almost being traded. I have a very good feeling about this teams chances to win it all in the next 2-3 years if the core stays together and the guys stay heathy.

On ESPN they mentioned that they had asked Rick about how he handles the team or something to that effect and his response was "you handle animals but you work with men." I think that sums up alot about coach and why this team is thriving under him. :gopacers:

Unclebuck
04-01-2004, 04:05 PM
I did not hear the interview.

But I think Carlisle is great at creating an atmosphere of discipline. He does not do this by yelling or having a bunch of rules. He does it with his straightforward approach. No mind games.

Think back to your school days, what teachers were the best, what teachers created the best atmosphere for learning. How did they do it. In my experience they did not yell, scream or have a lot of rules.

In a related note, but different.
During the Bucks game Tuesday night I watched the Bucks telecast, and they had some interesting things to say about Carlisle.

Bob Oseipka was an assistant in in Detroit, the past two season, he is now with the Bucks, and he told the Bucks announcers that Rick does things a little differently than most coaches during training camp.

Rick does not put any offensive plays in for the first three weeks of camp/preseason games, they work on offensive spacing and the draw and kick game. (along with a ton of defense) . That teaches the players to play ball first, before they get programmed on a bunch of plays.

Now that i think about it I think Larry Brown does something similar.

I was suprised to hear about Rick doing this, first I have heard that he did it this way.

TheSauceMaster
04-01-2004, 11:36 PM
I didn't hear the Interview ethier and thanks for Posting this :neutral: