PDA

View Full Version : Best players that wore jerseys #1-40

denyfizle
01-01-2006, 10:47 PM
Okay let's stretch this further. List down the best player in your opionion that wore jersey #1-#40. I'll start. I'll just go from the top of my head who come's to mind.

#1 Penny Hardaway
#2 Larry Johnson (yeap!!!!!) sorry Moses
#3 Allen Iverson
#4 Chris Webber
#5 Jason Kidd
#6 Bill Russell (sorry Dr.J)
#7 Pete Maravich
#8 KB8
#10 Walt Frazier
#11 Zeke
#12 John Stockton
#13 Wilt Chamberlain
#14 Oscar Robertson
#15 Earl Monroe
#16 Bob Lanier
#17 John Havlicek
#18 Dave Cowens
#19 Willis Reed
#20 Manu Ginobili
#21 Tim Duncan
#22 Clyde Drexler
#23 MIKE
#24 Sam Jones
#25 Mark Price
#30 Bernard King BK!!!!
#31 Reggie Miller
#32 Erving Magic Johnson
#33 Larry Bird
#34 Hakeem Olajuwon (sorry Shaq)
#36 Rasheed Wallace
#40 Shawn Kemp

Kstat
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
#1....tough choice between Oscar Robertson and Penny, but I'll have to go with the Big O by just a hair.......

#2....Moses Malone or Larry Johnson....gosh, I'll go with Malone on this one.

#4. Oscar never wore #4 to my knowledge. He wore #14 in Cincinnati and #1 in Milwaukee. Assuming that's correct, I'll go with Joe Dumars as the replacement #4.

#9 Bob Pettit. Nuff said.

#24 I'd argue Rick Barry was a better player than Sam Jones.

#25 I'd put KC Jones here over Chet Walker.

#27 Jack Twyman

#35 Roger Brown (that should make some of you guys happy)

#40- give me Bill Laimbeer over Shawn Kemp any day of the week.

Jermaniac
01-01-2006, 11:01 PM
#7 - Jermaine O'Neal

Natston
01-01-2006, 11:02 PM
27 - Peanut Butter

That's because he's the only one that I can think of for the muber not because he's a great player... :tongue:

pizza guy
01-01-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't know about your number 23...

Seriously, though. Hakeem over Shaq? Hmmm....

Pacers#1Fan
01-01-2006, 11:10 PM
#15 Ron Ar.....

never mind. :zip:

Natston
01-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Moses has to be before LJ...

NBA champion (1983); NBA Finals MVP (1983); NBA MVP (1979, '82, '83); All-NBA First Team (1979, '82, '83, '85); All-NBA Second Team (1980, '81, '84, '87); All-Defensive First Team (1983); All-Defensive Second Team (1979); 12-time All-Star; One of 50 Greatest Players in NBA History (1996).

mboyle1313
01-01-2006, 11:17 PM
DFizle,

A few observations:

The Kings (nee Cincinnati Royals) have retired Oscar's #14, and he wore #1 in Milwaukee. To my knowledge, he never wore #4, though I could be wrong.

Andre Iguodola? I'm assuming that you've never heard of Bob Petit.

Also, I think srong cases could be made for Tracy McGrady (#1), Nate Archibald (#1 or #10), Elgin Baylor (#22), Rick Barry and Moses Malone (#24), and Kareem (#33).

Good topic.

MJB

Kstat
01-01-2006, 11:31 PM
#7 - Jermaine O'Neal

Not over Pistol Pete, he isn't.....

and behind Pete, there's a guy by the name of Nate Archibald that has seconds.

Naptown Seth
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
#40- give me Bill Laimbeer over Shawn Kemp any day of the week.
:laugh::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Only in your little world....

Pacers#1Fan
01-01-2006, 11:42 PM
Not over Pistol Pete, he isn't.....Oh, your just mad because AI got the nod over Ben. It's okay.:console:

Jermaniac
01-01-2006, 11:44 PM
Not over Pistol Pete, he isn't.....In my book he is

Kstat
01-01-2006, 11:45 PM
#2 Larry Johnson (yeap!!!!!) sorry Moses

Ok, I was going on the assumption that you simply forgot about Moses Malone. That is kinda ridiculous.

Kstat
01-01-2006, 11:46 PM
In my book he is

All I'm saying is, when Jermaine Oneal makes it to the hall of fame, let me know.

After Jordan, Maravich was arguably the most gifted shooting guard in history. He could score, pass and handle the ball as well as anybody before or after him.

Naptown Seth
01-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Are you seriously trying to say that Shawn Kemp is better..........

Cause if so, that is comical
Kemp was only a better scorer, better passer, better defender, and better rebounder. That's all :laugh:

"But Laimbeer's got 2 championshipzzz!!11!!!11" :lol:

Kstat
01-01-2006, 11:52 PM
Are you seriously trying to say that Shawn Kemp is better..........

Cause if so, that is comical

Laimbeer was a multiple all-star, ran the pick-and-fade better than any center maybe in NBA history, and could rebound incredibly well given his well-documented lack of athletic ability. He also could play the mental game with the best of them. Also as much range on his shot as any center that's ever played the game.

Reggie Miller himself called Laimbeer one of the most underrated players he's ever seen.

So yes, only in the twisted little world occupied by myself and Reggie Miller would Laimbeer be a better player than Shawn Kemp, who was as athletic as they come, but did not have the discipline, nor the toughness and leadership qualities Laimbeer had.

8.9_seconds
01-02-2006, 12:04 AM
JO over the Pistol? Though JO is very talented, there is no comparison, Maravich hands down.

Kaufman
01-02-2006, 12:14 AM
Dude I kind of liked doing this on a weekly basis as some light conversation as opposed to a wham bam thank you maam kind of thing that we've got going now.

Jermaniac
01-02-2006, 12:18 AM
All I'm saying is, when Jermaine Oneal makes it to the hall of fame, let me know.

After Jordan, Maravich was arguably the most gifted shooting guard in history. He could score, pass and handle the ball as well as anybody before or after him.All I'm saying is, Jermaine > Anyone who ever put on #7.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd put Shaq over Hakeem.

Pacersfan46
01-02-2006, 12:23 AM
All I'm saying is, Jermaine > Anyone who ever put on #7.

:laugh:

Talk about a huge homer, or a huge bad joke .......

Anthem
01-02-2006, 12:27 AM
All I'm saying is, Jermaine > Anyone who ever put on #7.
Do you know who Pete Maravich was?

Jermaniac
01-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Do you know who Pete Maravich was?I know he wasnt Jermaine O'Neal

Pacersfan46
01-02-2006, 12:37 AM
I know he wasnt Jermaine O'Neal

Well, good to know you're not color blind, or illiterate.

Even if you know nothing about the history of the sport. :laugh:

Kstat
01-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Mr. Boyle did mention one that slipped my mind:

Elgin Baylor is without a doubt better than Clyde Drexler, and Clyde was my favorite non-Piston in the NBA when I was growing up.

Baylor is a lock at #22.

I'd also ask Mr. Boyle if he agrees with me that Roger Brown was the best #35.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 12:39 AM
As for Shaq and Hakeem, you could make a good case for either, and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Hakeem dominated Shaq in matchups, but that was before Shaq hit his prime.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 12:47 AM
I'd put Shaquille O'Neal over Hakeem.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 12:49 AM
Do you know who Pete Maravich was?

Oh, I'm sure if Wilt or MJ had worn 7, he'd still say JO was the best.

Jermaniac
01-02-2006, 12:51 AM
^ This man knows

Pacersfan46
01-02-2006, 12:51 AM
I'd take Hakeem because he was more versatile. He could shoot free throws better, and was a better defensive player. He was also healthier.

That said, I don't think there is a wrong answer between the two.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 12:58 AM
True, you can't go wrong with Shaq or Hakeem.

I choose Shaq because he dominated the NBA for 3 straight seasons, winning 3 straight finals MVP's. Has anyone else ever done that outside of MJ? I'm sure Russell did?

I'm not accusing anyone on this board as saying it, but I've heard people say that "Hakeem dominated Shaq in the 95 finals." Well, Hakeem's team certainly dominated Shaq's team. Shaq was just 23 and averaged like 27 or 28 in the series. Hakeem averaged about 31 I think, and of course was in his prime. I think Shaq fared better against Hakeem than Drob did.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 01:06 AM
I choose Shaq because he dominated the NBA for 3 straight seasons, winning 3 straight finals MVP's. Has anyone else ever done that outside of MJ? I'm sure Russell did?

Finals MVP wasn't given out until 1969, Russell's last year in the finals. And Jerry West won it that year, ironically enough.

I'm not accusing anyone on this board as saying it, but I've heard people say that "Hakeem dominated Shaq in the 95 finals." Well, Hakeem's team certainly dominated Shaq's team. Shaq was just 23 and averaged like 27 or 28 in the series. Hakeem averaged about 31 I think, and of course was in his prime. I think Shaq fared better against Hakeem than Drob did.

Even Shaq would tell you that Hakeem completely owned him in that series. He said so himself. Stats aside, Hakeem stopped Shaq when it mattered, and Shaq couldn't do anything with Hakeem.

SoupIsGood
01-02-2006, 01:27 AM
David Harrison. For all fourty numbers.

Naptown Seth
01-02-2006, 01:30 AM
I wasnt even going to mention his 2 rings, but see I dont rely on stats soly when I evaluate a player or team....
I don't respect your opinion because I believe you lack proper knowledge.

Shawn Kemp was one of the 10 most dominant players of the 90's. He was a the centerpiece of multiple championship contending tams.
Bill Laimbeer was never a top-40 player. Not even for a single season. Ever. He was a 3rd wheel (at best) on a 2 time championship team.

It's basically the equalivant of asking who's the better player now between Amare Stoudemire and Brad Miller. And you're going with Brad Miller :lol:

Naptown Seth
01-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I'm also loving the hypocrites here. Nothing but hate for Stephon Marbury because "he's a selfish loser", yet you praisethe most selfish loser in NBA history, Pete Maravich.
Go back and check the record books folks. Tell me how many championships Pistol Pete won. How about just telling me how many playoff series Pete won? Or for that matter, how many times he actually made the playoffs?

The guy was all about his own stats, his own showcasing, and his teams were absolutely terrible because of it.

Yes Jermaine O'Neal will have a more fruitful NBA career then Pistol Pete. I also doubt JO ends up 6 feet under at the age of 40, but I wont go there.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 02:29 AM
Yes Jermaine O'Neal will have a more fruitful NBA career then Pistol Pete. I also doubt JO ends up 6 feet under at the age of 40, but I wont go there.

That's a sickening comment. But after reading your posts, accusing the Pacers and fans of being racists, etc......I'd expect a comment like that from you.

An autopsy showed that Maravich died from to a previously undiagnosed congenital heart defect; he had been born with only one coronary artery instead of the normal two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich

That is something that is out of anyone's control. A disease like that is the luck of the draw. It's something you or I could have been born with and not even realize it.

Yet you make it sound like his death was his fault. But I wouldn't expect you to make the effort to atleast find out that he died from an uncontrollable disease.

Jermaniac
01-02-2006, 02:30 AM
lol What post about the Pacers being racists? I want to read that.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 02:34 AM
That's a sickening comment. But after reading your posts, accusing the Pacers of being racists, etc......I'd expect a comment like that from you.

An autopsy showed that Maravich died from to a previously undiagnosed congenital heart defect; he had been born with only one coronary artery instead of the normal two.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Maravich

That is something that is out of anyone's control. A disease like that is the luck of the draw. It's something you or I could have been born with and not even realize it.

Yet you make it sound like his death was his fault. But I wouldn't expect you to make the effort to atleast find out that he died from an uncontrollable disease.

On the contrary, for someone to play the game like he did with a GAPING HOLE IN HIS HEART, it only doubled my respect for him. Just imagine if he had played with a FUNCTIONAL heart. He might have scored 50 a game for all we know.

And yeah, it was a very dirty, disgusting, classless comment to make, but if you consider the character of the person that made it, you shouldn't be surprised.

One person was one of the all-time class individuals at the end of his career, who could have had a ring with the celtics in 81 but chose to retire mid-season rather than gravy-train his way to a ring. The other person...you get the idea.

8.9_seconds
01-02-2006, 02:39 AM
I'm also loving the hypocrites here. Nothing but hate for Stephon Marbury because "he's a selfish loser", yet you praisethe most selfish loser in NBA history, Pete Maravich.
Go back and check the record books folks. Tell me how many championships Pistol Pete won. How about just telling me how many playoff series Pete won? Or for that matter, how many times he actually made the playoffs?

The guy was all about his own stats, his own showcasing, and his teams were absolutely terrible because of it.

I agree with Adam, that was a truely classless comment and I'll add, What the hell is wrong with you?, to that.

Hey, how many rings did Reggie win?Reggie had some amazing stats too, and never won a championship, but that's different, right?

BTW- Reggie is my favorite athlete all of time, but your post was just absolutely asinine .

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 02:42 AM
lol What post about the Pacers being racists? I want to read that.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17217&page=2

Naptown Seth
01-02-2006, 03:07 AM
This thread isn't about me folks, so please: debate the post, not the poster.

And for the Reggie comment - Reggie may not have won a championship, but he had tons of playoff success. Pistol won nothing his entire career. He almost never led his team to the playoffs. He was, for lack of a better term, a loser.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 03:12 AM
This thread isn't about me folks, so please: debate the post, not the poster.

And for the Reggie comment - Reggie may not have won a championship, but he had tons of playoff success. Pistol won nothing his entire career. He almost never led his team to the playoffs. He was, for lack of a better term, a loser.

I debated the post, and you clearly dodged what I said. Maravich died of natural causes that were out of his, or anyone's control.

Your post was classless. A post is a reflection of the poster.

8.9_seconds
01-02-2006, 03:15 AM
I'd put Hakeem over Shaq.

8.9_seconds
01-02-2006, 03:18 AM
I debated the post, and you clearly dodged what I said. Maravich died of natural causes that were out of his, or anyone's control.

Your post was classless. A post is a reflection of the poster.

I've learned on here, the best way to avoid you are wrong is to respond to a correction, because if nobody notices it, it never was posted.

NPFII
01-02-2006, 05:32 AM
How about Chauncey Billups #1? I think he's a better player than T-Mac (and Tiny)
KG #21?

NPFII
01-02-2006, 05:35 AM
I'd go with Chauncey Billups at #1,
and Isiah Thomas at #11.
I'd also consider Ginobili at #20 over GP, but give it a few years...

Naptown Seth
01-02-2006, 05:55 AM
How about Chauncey Billups #1? I think he's a better player than T-Mac (and Tiny)
KG #21?
No offense man, but you might wanna stick to the Euros when discussing basketball players. :laugh:

kept
01-02-2006, 07:20 AM
00 - Robert Parish (Boston Celtics)
1 - Oscar Robertson (Milwaukee Bucks)
2 - Moses Malone (Philadelphia 76ers)
3 - Allen Iverson (Philadelphia 76ers)
4 - Jerry Sloan (Chicago Bulls)
5 - Jason Kidd (New Jersey Nets)
6 - Bill Russell (Boston Celtics)
7 - Pete Maravich (New Orleans Jazz)
8 - Kobe Bryant (Los Angeles Lakers)
9 - Bob Pettit (St. Louis Hawks)
10 - Walt Frazier (New York Knicks)
11 - Isiah Thomas (Detriot Pistons)
12 - John Stockton (Utah Jazz)
13 - Wilt Chamberlain (Los Angeles Lakers)
14 - Bob Cousy (Boston Celtics)
15 - Earl Monroe (New York Knicks)
16 - Bob Lanier (Detriot Pistons)
17 - John Havlicek (Boston Celtics)
18 - Dave Cowens (Boston Celtics)
19 - Willis Reed (New York Knicks)
20 - Gary Payton (Seattle Supersonics)
21 - Tim Duncan (San Antonio Spurs)
22 - Elgin Baylor (Los Angeles Lakers)
23 - Michael Jordan (Chicago Bulls)
24 - Rick Barry (Golden State Warriors)
25 - Gail Goodrich (Los Angeles Lakers)
26 - ()
27 - Larry Nance (Phoenix Suns)
28 - ()
29 - ()
30 - Bernard King (New York Knicks)
31 - Reggie Miller (Indiana Pacers)
32 - Magic Johnson (Los Angeles Lakers)
33 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Los Angeles Lakers)
34 - Shaquille O'Neal (Los Angeles Lakers)
35 - Roger Brown (Indiana Pacers)
36 - Lloyd Neal (Portland Trailblazers)
37 - ()
38 - ()
39 - ()
40 - Bill Laimbeer (Detriot Pistons)
41 - Dirk Nowitzki (Dallas Mavericks)
42 - James Worthy (Los Angeles Lakers)
43 - Mychal Thompson (Portland Trailblazers)
44 - Jerry West (Los Angeles Lakers)
45 - Rudy Tomjanovich (Houston Rockets)

Bat Boy
01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
All I'm saying is, Jermaine > Anyone who ever put on #7.Even Mickey Mantle?:D

aceace
01-02-2006, 02:11 PM
OK...OK.... then who was the greatest to wear #91 Rodman or Mo-ron (little rodman)

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Rodman, because he actually played more than 7 games with number 91.

mboyle1313
01-02-2006, 03:16 PM
KStat,

I agree with your Roger Brown observation.

As for the debate about whether Jermaine O'Neal is better than Pete Maravich, let me say that while Jermaine is probably a top five player at his position and has the potential to climb to the top of that list in the years ahead, to suggest that he's better than Pete Maravich is either myopic or an example of blind loyalty.

I would go so far as to say that, if not for Jerry West, Maravich might be the best #7 AND the best #44 of all time.

MJB
'

Kstat
01-02-2006, 03:17 PM
Thanks.

denyfizle
01-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Ok, I was going on the assumption that you simply forgot about Moses Malone. That is kinda ridiculous.

I know this was a hard choice for me but I couldn't help it. I was a big LJ, THE SOURCE, Grandmama fan since his Runnin Rebel days.

denyfizle
01-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Mr. Boyle did mention one that slipped my mind:

Elgin Baylor is without a doubt better than Clyde Drexler, and Clyde was my favorite non-Piston in the NBA when I was growing up.

Baylor is a lock at #22.

I'd also ask Mr. Boyle if he agrees with me that Roger Brown was the best #35.

I feel the same way too but I watched too much of Clyde to rank someone I really didn't get to see all that much play over him, though I know Elgin is a great player it's just that I was a big Glide fan and suffered through that Finals against the Ps and the Bulls in the late 80s and early 90s.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 03:49 PM
I know this was a hard choice for me but I couldn't help it. I was a big LJ, THE SOURCE, Grandmama fan since his Runnin Rebel days.

Moses was the best player in the entire league for a 3-4 year span. More dominant than Bird, Magic, or Dr. J. I don't even think it's a fair comparison.

denyfizle
01-02-2006, 03:53 PM
DFizle,

A few observations:

The Kings (nee Cincinnati Royals) have retired Oscar's #14, and he wore #1 in Milwaukee. To my knowledge, he never wore #4, though I could be wrong.

Andre Iguodola? I'm assuming that you've never heard of Bob Petit.

Also, I think srong cases could be made for Tracy McGrady (#1), Nate Archibald (#1 or #10), Elgin Baylor (#22), Rick Barry and Moses Malone (#24), and Kareem (#33).

Good topic.

MJB

Im just happy nobody pointed out my error writing Oscar Robertson as Oscar Robinson before I had time to edit it hehehe. My bad on the #4 I went with CWebb with that one and I opted the retired #14 Royals the BIg O wore in Cinci to list him under.

denyfizle
01-02-2006, 03:55 PM
Moses was the best player in the entire league for a 3-4 year span. More dominant than Bird, Magic, or Dr. J. I don't even think it's a fair comparison.

You're right I have the utmost respect for Moses plus the fact that he played longer than most on the list. This was just one of those cases that I can't get over my loyalties. Kinda like nepotism hehe.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 04:06 PM

It doesn't matter who you're a fan of. If you're going to make a serious ranking of players, you must do so without any bias.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Also if you want to get technical, Jordan was also the greatest player ever to wear #12.

mboyle1313
01-02-2006, 04:09 PM
DFizle,

While I agree that Chris Webber is a good player, give me Joe Dumars at #4 100 times out of 100.

MJB

Kstat
01-02-2006, 04:11 PM
DFizle,

While I agree that Chris Webber is a good player, give me Joe Dumars at #4 100 times out of 100.

MJB

We seem to be agreeing a lot today.

The big difference between Webber and Dumars was that Dumars was a tougher player and delivered in every big game he ever played in. CWebb is the opposite.

Los Angeles
01-02-2006, 04:16 PM
Also if you want to get technical, Jordan was also the greatest player ever to wear #12.
and 45.

Kstat
01-02-2006, 04:17 PM
and 45.

Yeah but we were only doing #s 1-40.

Sollozzo
01-02-2006, 04:41 PM
It is impossible to have no bias in anything.

We are human, even if we dont realize it, we have some bias

I think it is pretty easy to let bias out of this.

For example, if Jordan had wore number 31 instead of 23, my "bias" would be towards Reggie Miller......but I would unquestionably rank Jordan as the "best number 31" had he worn the number.

reginald_denny
01-02-2006, 04:46 PM
oscar owns penny for 1. kareem owns larry at 33.

Air23
01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
I'd go with Chauncey Billups at #1,
and Isiah Thomas at #11.
I'd also consider Ginobili at #20 over GP, but give it a few years...

Manu over Payton?

You're kiddin', right?:laugh:

Air23
01-03-2006, 09:12 AM
And I'd actually put Kevin Johnson ahead of Pistol Pete for #7.

NPFII
01-03-2006, 11:11 AM
No offense man, but you might wanna stick to the Euros when discussing basketball players. :laugh:

None taken.

However, since you're addressing the postER and not the post itself, i'll allow myself to add that you might wanna to stick to a$$-holes, as you are definitely one of the biggest ones on this board!

:growup:

denyfizle
01-03-2006, 12:45 PM
I think it is pretty easy to let bias out of this.

For example, if Jordan had wore number 31 instead of 23, my "bias" would be towards Reggie Miller......but I would unquestionably rank Jordan as the "best number 31" had he worn the number.

Well kids, this ranking is subjective anyway. I think it would be a lot easier if we just do our own thing and enjoy it. If you want to rank Jordan as the best number 12, so be, it but I only ranked the Big O at 14 coz he has a retired 14 jersey over at Sacto and I wanted to squeeze in Penny at #1. It's more about who you remembered wearing that number. How can't you rank MJ at #12 if less than 10% of the basketball fan population remember it while John Stockton patented the number with his more than 12/per assts. every game. I wasn't trying to be technical at all. Like I said I just went on the top of my head with my choices and yeah, Dumars had a better NBA career than CWeb and its really a matter of how you look at it with these choices. But I still picked CWebb because I saw him play since his high school days and honestly feel he's the better basketball player. I just can't help but shake my head over people who think they know it all or they know better to judge another person's choice to be wrong. if Jermaniac picks JO over Pistol.. so what?!?! he can make a case for that. That's his opinion. All you know-it-all types should just focus more on your points rather than find wrong in others. HATERS man. :-p O yeah, Id rank Manu higher than GP it just slipped my mind.