PDA

View Full Version : sportscenter bias pisses me off sometimes

diego
04-01-2004, 09:17 AM
As I am sitting here watching my morning sportscenter, what do they lead off with? The NBA, but not us. They lead with the Spurs/Kings, which is a big game, then they show Minne/Seattle cause they won a franchise record 52 wins, then they break away to analyst to talk about west top teams....go to break...come back and talk about Messier in NHL, then more NBA. Pacers right? No they discuss Boston/Portland, Utah game, and then discuss bottok of western confernence. Now its on to Paul horninig and Notre Dame. My God the Pacers clinched the eastern conference last night, and put themselves that much closer to best overall record. And they cant even make the first 20 minutes of Sportscenter.

Now i normally dont care about the national exposure, but sometimes i just feel it sucks the lack of exposure and recognition they receive. Ultimately i know it has no bearing on what happens in playofffs and it really is not a big deal, but damn, show them some love media. They have earned it!!!!!

Ragnar
04-01-2004, 09:26 AM
To be fair Spurs/Kings was a much bigger game than Pacers/Bucks. I know the Pacers are more important to us but come on. I supose the Pistons should have been on next for beating the Clippers. :rolleyes:

And as far as them not being at the beginning have you ever heard of bookending? They put the things you want to see at the beginning middle and end of the show so that you will watch the whole thing.

If they just showed all the NBA stuff at the start the NBA fans would tune out after that.

Being a fan of the NBA and pretty much hating every other sport they talk about on Sports Center I cant watch it. I am not willing to sit through 15 minutes of Hockey, 15 minutes of Soccer, and 15 minutes of Baseball in order to see 10 minutes of Basketball. I watch the highlights on NBA TV.

Dukins
04-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Yeah the spurs/kings had alot more on the line as far as playoff positioning in the west. Yes we did when the central division last night :dance: , but after this years performance. It was a formality that we wouldve have won the central division this year.

I understand what your saying though. Sometimes i stay up or am a little late for something trying to catch any pacer or colt highlight. Once we win something we will get more respect.

diego
04-01-2004, 09:34 AM
To be fair, the game may have been bigger between spurs/kings, but the results were not. As i am a avid sportscenter watcher, i dont need for you to explain how they run their shows to me...but thanks anyways. I understand that, but on a night when a team wraps up division title and #1 seed in conference, that deserves a little moire than a snippet halfway through program.

Unclebuck
04-01-2004, 09:43 AM
I am not a highlights guy, rarely watch them. They tell me nothing about the game. I don't mind seeing the plays of the week, or some interesting plays. But I reject the idea that showing 10 replays of a 48 minute game tells you anything about how the game was won or lost.

NBATV does the best job, at least they show the plays in order and try to give you a little context. ESPN is only entertainment.

bulletproof
04-01-2004, 09:50 AM
ESPN is only entertainment.

Um, I don't know if someone forgot to tell you this, UB, but so is the NBA.

MSA2CF
04-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Used to bother me, but not anymore. I'd rather the Pacers get no respect in the media to help fuel the Pacers into thinking they are the underdogs so they can light it up in the post-season.

Unclebuck
04-01-2004, 12:01 PM

Not sure if you are joking. Sure the NBA is entertainment. But IMO it is competition first, at least that's what I like about it

wintermute
04-01-2004, 11:46 PM

omg! sacrilege! :o

:D :devil: