PDA

View Full Version : What's your avatar query?

Kaufman
12-28-2005, 10:40 PM
Amidst all the speculation and infighting, I thought it might lighten the mood. Some people have some new avatars and some of them are particularly entertaining, yet I have no idea what they are. As some of them are related to the Pacers I thought it'd be appropriate to have in this room but nonetheless if not I'd understand if we get shipped off.

I'll start. I'm a big Andy Kaufman fan, mine is of Andy and Jerry Lawler back when Andy entertained professional wrestling.

317Kim
12-28-2005, 10:45 PM
Mine's pretty obvious. JO averages 2.8 BPG, has nights where he blocks 5 shots. So FEAR REJECTION. :)

SoupIsGood
12-28-2005, 10:47 PM
DAAAANGER

Kstat
12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Ryoga. Ranma 1/2. P-chan.

If you don't understand any of those names, you aren't meant to understand my avatar.

That, and I figured it fit my current forum title pretty well....

Stryder
12-28-2005, 10:48 PM
I refuse to use sigs and avatars.

Jermaniac
12-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Deangelo Williams = The next Ladainian Tomlinson and Tennessee Titans starting Running Back

Hicks
12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Riker, Picard, and Data enjoying a night out.

pizza guy
12-28-2005, 11:36 PM
Watching one of the Lakers games when they had the "Big 4," I noticed something about the smallest of them. Gary Payton, when yelling at a ref, showed a striking resistance to Donkey, from Shrek. Sure enough, when I Google searched their pictures, my theory seemed correct, so, I put the two pics together.

You can take it as a physical likeness, or a similarity of character, whatever you prefer.

Kegboy
12-28-2005, 11:41 PM
I refuse to use sigs and avatars.
And yet, you still have a title. :loser2:

kellogg
12-28-2005, 11:46 PM
My avatar could simply be entitled "How I saved money at Christmas"

rel
12-28-2005, 11:48 PM
SARAS!

PostArtestEra
12-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Atomship! Everyone needs to listen to this band. One of the freshest-sounding records I've heard in Rock/Metal for some time, with the best drum work out there. Their debut album "The Crash of 47" is amazing. Go buy a copy or check it out at Atomship.com.
P.S. Go Pacers

Bball
12-29-2005, 12:11 AM
What could be more groundbreaking than an album entitled "Spaced Out" featuring the vocal stylings of William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy?

-Bball

travmil
12-29-2005, 12:19 AM
I don't think mine could be much more self explanatory...

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 12:29 AM
<- A still from the 1928 silent masterpiece The Passion of Joan of Arc. It's one of her inquisitors looking at her through her jail cell door.

This film was thought to be lost forever in a warehouse fire when in 1981 a near perfect print of the original cut was discovered under a pile of rags in a janitor's closet of a Norwegian mental institution.

Natston
12-29-2005, 12:39 AM
"Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:01 AM
To whomever moved my query, I've got to say - for all the crappy thread starts based on garbage rumors from GetOdom's brother cousin and neighbor's wife, as well as others, I can't believe those weren't moved to the Trade Rumor Forum. Just my opinion.

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:02 AM
Kegboy, I miss the hot cheerleader.

Vicious Tyrant
12-29-2005, 01:04 AM
Hugh Grant's prince (or whatever he was) character from Blackadder II.

I used to use Rowan Atkinson's picture from Blackadder to represent the viciousness of my tyrannical nature, but it caused too much headache with everyone pleading with me to leave it coughPECKcough. I think Hugh Grant is much more swishy, like myself, anyway...

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Where does this DeAngelo character play? Maybe they can use him to fill in for PacMan as well :tongue:

Frank Slade
12-29-2005, 01:53 AM
To whomever moved my query, I've got to say - for all the crappy thread starts based on garbage rumors from GetOdom's brother cousin and neighbor's wife, as well as others, I can't believe those weren't moved to the Trade Rumor Forum. Just my opinion.

The only reason it was moved was because it's non nba related , hence the shout box... :)

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:58 AM
And the age of the posters from last week, that was NBA related I suppose?

Pig Nash
12-29-2005, 01:59 AM
Alan Tudyk, of Serenity and A Knight's Tale fame.

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:59 AM
If anything, seems this would be more NBA related than the ages since some posters have NBA related material in their avatars.

What is NBA related about make-believe trade rumors?

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 02:00 AM
I always wondered, PIG NASH. And I still do wonder...

But it's an amusing picture nonetheless.

PostArtestEra
12-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Props on the Avatar Pig Nash, Serenity was the best movie of the year.

Pig Nash
12-29-2005, 02:22 AM
Pig is a play off of my last name and Nash is just something I've had since I started on the internet. It's my username for pretty much everything. Although I've contemplated changing it to Piglet.

Hicks
12-29-2005, 02:27 AM

That's because there is no Trade Rumor Forum. That thing's for made-up trade (intentionally) that people piece together on their own.

I'd understand if we get shipped off.

:unimpress

This is valid, but calm down. Reason it stayed is that we've done those threads for years, long before we had more than just one forum. Old habit, nothing more. Yeesh. If it'll help people sleep at night, I'll move the damn thing too.

Jermaniac
12-29-2005, 02:35 AM
Where does this DeAngelo character play? Maybe they can use him to fill in for PacMan as well :tongue:He plays at Memphis. Probably one of the most productive RB's in college football history. Fill in for Pacman as what?

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Well believe me I don't need you to tell me what's valid and what isn't, but the double standards, they kill me sometimes.

I didn't think I'd be so pissed off about the thing getting moved when I gave the disclaimer, but I guess I was. I thought I'd get at least a bit longer face time in the P room because I sincerely was interested in various avatars. But maybe I'll just PM the people whose avatars I was curious about.

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 02:43 AM
If you sense some sarcasm and flippancy in the last message, you've sensed right.

Hicks
12-29-2005, 02:44 AM
Well believe me I don't need you to tell me what's valid and what isn't, but the double standards, they kill me sometimes.

Likewise I don't need you to tell me how to do my job. I think you take this site way too seriously. I have policies, but I don't treat them like laws when they're little things like this. It's sad to me that anyone would get worked up over something so small here.

pollardfreek
12-29-2005, 03:24 AM
My Username is Pollardfreek and I'm a Warriors fan. Oh, and 62 is Scotty's number.

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Yet Pollard never wore 62# for the Warriors - didn't he just double 31 when he got here for obvious reasons?

Pig Nash
12-29-2005, 03:27 AM
Yet Pollard never wore 62# for the Warriors - didn't he just double 31 when he got here for obvious reasons?

Yet Pollard never played for the Warriors?

SoupIsGood
12-29-2005, 03:37 AM
I didn't even know you were a Warriors fan. What do you think of that Pietrus?

pollardfreek
12-29-2005, 03:38 AM
I didn't even know you were a Warriors fan. What do you think of that Pietrus?

I think he and Ike are really our only bright spots.

Jermaniac
12-29-2005, 03:39 AM
I think he and Ike are really our only bright spots.What? I would give Ron up for JRich straight up even if he didnt ask for a trade.

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 03:40 AM
I agree 100% with the JRICH thing - he'd be a good player for us.

pollardfreek
12-29-2005, 03:42 AM
I agree 100% with the JRICH thing - he'd be a good player for us.

Yeah, if you're looking for someone to put up a fadeaway 3 in double coverage with 20 seconds left on the shot clock, then sure he would be perfect for you guys.

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 06:07 AM
The Passion of Joan of Arc...a once thought lost film...found...in a...

Bball
12-29-2005, 06:20 AM
The Passion of Joan of Arc...a once thought lost film...found...in a...

Yes.... Please explain. That has to be a story behind that. Maybe a movie itself.

-Bball

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 06:30 AM
Yes.... Please explain. That has to be a story behind that. Maybe a movie itself.

-Bball

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17456

Raskolnikov
12-29-2005, 07:18 AM
"Follow. But. Follow only if ye be men of valour, for the entrance to this cave is guarded by a creature so foul, so cruel that no man yet has fought with it and lived. Bones of full fifty men lie strewn about its lair. So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Funniest scene in that movie.

EDIT: oh, yes the avatar explaining thing (all the argueing about other things than that makes one forget what this thread was originally about) : Dark side of the moon - Pink Floyd

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 08:29 AM
They have Pink Floyd in Belgium??

Raskolnikov
12-29-2005, 09:21 AM
They have Pink Floyd in Belgium??
Euhm, well, I guess they do.

What a strange question that was.

Kat
12-29-2005, 09:55 AM
Sexy chick, obviously.

Also, I was curious how far Hicks would let me go with my avatar on this PG site. I have more stored away for a later date. :whistle:

Frank Slade
12-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Sexy chick, obviously.

Also, I was curious how far Hicks would let me go with my avatar on this PG site. I have more stored away for a later date. :whistle:

Yes Kat, there was time where multiple hotties graced my avatar. but then I got a little carried away.. and well :blush: ... I am now just playing it safe...

Kat
12-29-2005, 01:13 PM
Yes Kat, there was time where multiple hotties graced my avatar. but then I got a little carried away.. and well :blush: ... I am now just playing it safe...

I think I get a litte bit of leeway because a) the pic ain't that bad, and b) I post pretty rarely and in the least frequented forums. If I was posting in every other Pacers thread, I might be noticed and get a talking to.

heywoode
12-29-2005, 01:17 PM

WAAH! Is there nothing more worthwhile to complain about?

Didn't see the other chastisations already in place...not trying to reopen old wounds...

Oh, and Kauf, it is much better to just disregard Jerm. He will never be convinced he isn't superior to us all. At least the rest of us know he isn't anywhere but in his own mind...Better to just let him have his infantile say and, realizing it is what it is, move on to more pertinent conversation....And, how can some moron with the name Pacman be taken seriously anyway?! If he were that good, why didn't he make the ProBowl this year? You don't make it on your team's record, you make it on how good you are...I think I know why Jerm identifies with him so well....

Alan Tudyk, of Serenity and A Knight's Tale fame.

He'll always be Steve the Pirate to me.....

Hicks
12-29-2005, 01:26 PM
I think I get a litte bit of leeway because a) the pic ain't that bad, and b) I post pretty rarely and in the least frequented forums. If I was posting in every other Pacers thread, I might be noticed and get a talking to.

What, no "c)"? ;)

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 01:32 PM
WAAH! Is there nothing more worthwhile to complain about

Way to antagonize without answering the question of the thread.

Especially when you weren't involved.

Shade
12-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I pity the fool who don't get my avatah.

Enough of this jibba-jabba!

heywoode
12-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Way to antagonize without answering the question of the thread.

Especially when you weren't involved.

Well, I did edit my last post....but I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner...

And, by the way, I've got just as much right to be annoyed at snivelers as anyone else...The subject of your complaint was especially annoying, especially when you deleted posts "not wanting to get into an argument with someone so young".

I think there are plenty of posters here who are snively lately, not totally exluding myself. Not sure if it is the holidays, or the Artesticle situation or what, but it gets tiring...

heywoode
12-29-2005, 01:37 PM
I pity the fool who don't get my avatah.

I practically RUN to my PC each morning to read the new Fact of the Day....Keep 'em coming, although I have no idea how you keep coming up with such good ones...

Shade
12-29-2005, 02:15 PM
I practically RUN to my PC each morning to read the new Fact of the Day....Keep 'em coming, although I have no idea how you keep coming up with such good ones...

I please to aim. :usa:

Uh...yeah. :whistle:

Bball
12-29-2005, 03:09 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17456

That just takes me back to this thread....

"This film was thought to be lost forever in a warehouse fire when in 1985 a near perfect print of the original cut was discovered under a pile of rags in a janitor's closet of a Norwegian mental institution."

What was a nearly perfect print doing in a mental institution in a janitor's closet? And how was it found AND identified rather than discarded?

-Bball

SoupIsGood
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM
I heart snivelers

8.9_seconds
12-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Mine personifies the struggle between Austin croshere and the donut (and balding) ...............or.................... 44 + Homer =?

pacercoltfan
12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
Mine is obvious! :) Jermaine O'Neal, Marvin Harrison, Jermaine O'Neal, and Bob Sanders! :) And my username at the bottom! :)

Kaufman
12-29-2005, 08:39 PM
8.9, did you make that or find it somewhere?

Harmonica
12-29-2005, 09:03 PM
That just takes me back to this thread....

"This film was thought to be lost forever in a warehouse fire when in 1985 a near perfect print of the original cut was discovered under a pile of rags in a janitor's closet of a Norwegian mental institution."

What was a nearly perfect print doing in a mental institution in a janitor's closet? And how was it found AND identified rather than discarded?

I don't know. But imagine going to your grave thinking that your masterpiece was forever lost. Dreyer, the director, died in 1968. The print was found in 1985. Pretty amazing, if you ask me. The DVD transfer looks spectacular for a film of that age.

Bball
12-29-2005, 10:50 PM
I don't know. But imagine going to your grave thinking that your masterpiece was forever lost. Dreyer, the director, died in 1968. The print was found in 1985. Pretty amazing, if you ask me. The DVD transfer looks spectacular for a film of that age.

In a surprise discovery that parallels Joan’s resurrection (as a historical hero) and transcendence, a complete original print of Dreyer’s original cut was found in a Norwegian mental hospital closet in 1981. The print had apparently been ordered by a doctor there in the 1930s; after an unknown number of screenings, it was stuck in the closet and forgotten for perhaps five decades. This version, called the "Oslo print" to distinguish it from its many predecessors, had some damage but was digitally restored to pristine condition -- after 20,320 splices, scratches, cue marks, and other imperfections had been removed.

http://www.imagesjournal.com/issue08/reviews/joanofarc/text.htm

abington
12-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Your 2005 WORLD CHAMPION CHICAGO WHITE SOX.
i used to have the cover of Bob Dylan and the Band's Basement Tapes.

SamBear
12-30-2005, 03:26 AM
yes speaking of world champions... :D

this is a picture of the NBA world champion San Antonio Spurs 3 trophies... :D

cramerica
12-30-2005, 05:28 AM
In a surprise discovery that parallels Joan’s resurrection (as a historical hero) and transcendence, a complete original print of Dreyer’s original cut was found in a Norwegian mental hospital closet in 1981. The print had apparently been ordered by a doctor there in the 1930s; after an unknown number of screenings, it was stuck in the closet and forgotten for perhaps five decades. This version, called the "Oslo print" to distinguish it from its many predecessors, had some damage but was digitally restored to pristine condition -- after 20,320 splices, scratches, cue marks, and other imperfections had been removed.

I love reading about stuff like that. It amazes me how it was found in a closet in Norway years after. Just goes to show you to watch what you throw away.

Avatar: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Although I'm going to change it here soon. Just not sure to what.

pizza guy
12-30-2005, 03:15 PM
I love reading about stuff like that. It amazes me how it was found in a closet in Norway years after. Just goes to show you to watch what you throw away.

Avatar: Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Although I'm going to change it here soon. Just not sure to what.

Your avatar is one of the most unique, I think. I really can't see any meaning to it, but, I always have to stop and stare for a second.

Deadshot
12-30-2005, 03:23 PM
My avatar is from one day in the life of Hulk.

rel
12-31-2005, 03:00 AM
now...FREDDY JONES

...who i think is our best SG

8.9_seconds
12-31-2005, 03:00 AM
8.9, did you make that or find it somewhere?

I made it with my own mouse and ingenuity;)

SycamoreKen
12-31-2005, 03:35 AM
Mine is of the mascot at my college. I believe he is supposed to be a squirrel, but I think he looks like a fox. The San Antonio Silver Stars, (WNBA) mascot looks very similar and she's a fox.

http://www.wnba.com/silverstars/fox/fox04_pictures.html

Harmonica
12-31-2005, 04:10 AM

Great find, Bball. Thanks. Does it make you want to see the film?

One thing I'm curious about. It says:

Dreyer’s original negative was destroyed the same year of the film’s release at the German studio UFA. The director managed to construct a new negative out of alternate takes, but that negative too was believed destroyed at a fire at the French studio where it was housed.

Then it goes onto say:

In a surprise discovery that parallels Joan’s resurrection and transcendence, a complete original print of Dreyer’s original cut was found in a Norwegian mental hospital closet in 1981.

And later says:

He shot reams of film, which unexpectedly paid off later when he was forced to construct a new negative out of the ample supply of alternate takes.

So which version do we have? The orginal original? Or his original reconstruction with alternate takes?

Harmonica
12-31-2005, 04:24 AM
Okay, here's the answer:

Miraculously, in 1981 while cleaning out the contents of a janitor's closet an a mental institution in Oslo, Norway, a complete print of the first cut of Dreyer's masterpiece was found in near perfect condition.

http://www.1worldfilms.com/passionjoanarc.htm

Yes, I'm a geek. :nerd:

Harmonica
12-31-2005, 04:34 AM
The print had apparently been ordered by a doctor there in the 1930s; after an unknown number of screenings, it was stuck in the closet and forgotten for perhaps five decades.

And lastly...

In 1981, a practically unscreened print of the original cut was found in perfect condition in a Norwegian mental hospital. Apparently the brothers who ran the place had contributed to Dreyer's budget when finances became tight, and as partial payment (the film was not hailed as a success on its first run), Dreyer had given them a print! Forgotten and blissfully untouched, the print resurfaced. In one stroke, it restored the glory of Dreyer's original vision.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s545joan.html

Bball
12-31-2005, 05:56 AM
Great finds...
Yes, I will have to get a look at this film now.

-Bball

Harmonica
12-31-2005, 12:21 PM
Great finds...
Yes, I will have to get a look at this film now.

-Bball

It's a silent film, which a lot of people have a hard time appreciating. I try to approach silents as if they're some kind of surrealistic form of avant-garde cinema.

EDIT: I would also suggest viewing it with while listening to the optional Voices of Light score; a beautiful piece of music in of itself which only enhances the experience.

Pig Nash
01-02-2006, 03:04 AM
of course, now I change it. It's Piglet, of Winnie the Pooh fame.

Kaufman
01-02-2006, 03:49 AM
Why Piglet?

Pig Nash
01-02-2006, 03:51 AM
another moniker i've gotten from friends. I'm either Pig Nash or Piglet to about everyone.

Merz
01-03-2006, 03:17 AM
I decided I wanted the sexiest picture I could find on the net

Natston
01-03-2006, 03:23 AM
I decided I wanted the sexiest picture I could find on the net

Is't that a bull? :-o

Merz
01-03-2006, 03:38 AM
no, man thats a cow. What sick person would have a bull in a bikini as an avatar

SycamoreKen
01-04-2006, 09:32 PM
I found this one Monday while looking for a radio broadcast of all things! Wonder if he got the job by seniority or the flipped for it.

317Kim
01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
My newest avy: I remixed the Incredibles logo and Pacer'd it up :D

317Kim
01-05-2006, 10:54 AM
oh yeah :rockon: