PDA

View Full Version : If the Pacers get swept by the Bucks tonight, will it be time to panic?

Shade
03-31-2004, 02:26 PM
If we were to go 0-4 against an obviously inferior team, does that mean we simply don't have the killer instinct to lay into a team that's beaten us every which way this season? And at home to boot?

I fully expect the Pacers to win big tonight. A gut-wrencher or -- God forbid -- a loss, and I'll suddenly feel a lot less optimistic about our chances in the playoffs.

I know a lot of us are just waiting for the roof to fall in, due to what happened last year. If we lose again tonight, do we really have the heart and killer instinct to make it to the Finals?

TheSauceMaster
03-31-2004, 02:32 PM
I wouldn't say panic but it would defintely cause some major concern , I been saying all year we have a few weaknesses and people just look at me like I am crazy , well the bucks seemed to have figure out our weaknesses.

If you go back to last season were actually 0-4 right now vs the bucks , but I think being 0-3 this season isn't a good thing and even if we win 1 tonight it shows we aren't a well oiled machine that we need to be right now.

PacerStud
03-31-2004, 02:36 PM
If one wants to panic, that's fine. Losing tonight will just reaffirm that these guys aren't ready to compete for the title. Damn good team. Damn good players. But when the Bucks and Hornets have B-slapped you 5 games this season, it just shows that you're not one of the elites.

Unless something big changes - I have no idea what - this team is no better than a 2nd round exit. And as it sits today - NO or Milwaukee will be the 2nd round opponent. We simply don't beat either of them in a 7 game series. Not with what they have been able to do to us on a consistent basis.

Ragnar
03-31-2004, 02:38 PM
The big concern would be that we might face either the Bucks or the Hornets in the second round. But other than that not really.

TheSauceMaster
03-31-2004, 03:02 PM
Well If we do happen to play the Bucks in the Playoffs what is the reality if they do sweep us 0-4 for the season and then win 4 more games in the playoffs against us ?

Suaveness
03-31-2004, 03:36 PM
The big concern would be that we might face either the Bucks or the Hornets in the second round. But other than that not really.

Yep. Since it is likely that we will face either one in the 2nd round. Otherwise Miami. It doesn't look good for either 3, though we have beaten Miami.

btw, what is your icon thingy....it looks familiar, but i don't recall it.

beast23
If one wants to panic, that's fine. Losing tonight will just reaffirm that these guys aren't ready to compete for the title. Damn good team. Damn good players. But when the Bucks and Hornets have B-slapped you 5 games this season, it just shows that you're not one of the elites.

Unless something big changes - I have no idea what - this team is no better than a 2nd round exit. And as it sits today - NO or Milwaukee will be the 2nd round opponent. We simply don't beat either of them in a 7 game series. Not with what they have been able to do to us on a consistent basis.B.S.

I can guarantee you that every "elite" team in the league has one or more mediocre opponents that, due to matchups or even the phases of the moon, will provide a problematic game every time the two teams play.

And I think your rationale regarding not beating them in a 7-game series is flawed. The longer the series, the greater advantage to the "better" team.

I personally don't believe that Milwaukee can play any better than what they have played against us. You might say the Ford did not play and Redd didn't show up last night, but other players stepped up in their places.

You provide a playoff atmosphere in a 7-game series with home court advantage and a loud fieldhouse, and the only EC team that worries me at all is Detroit. I really don't care how well the others have played against us or what kind of a winning streak they might be on as the playoffs arrive, the only EC team that might have a 50-50 chance of beating the Pacers in a 7-game series is Detroit.

And as far as classifying a team as "elite" or "non-elite", what would you call a team that has a better winning percentage against the WC than any WC team, and who has the best record in the league? Win or lose in the playoffs, the Pacers have proven that they are an "elite" team, at least for this season.

Gyron
I will be concerned yes, but not overly. Because the second round of the playoff's is a completely different game than a regular season game.

But it would be very good tonight to beat them for at least a confidence booster should we have to face them later in the playoffs.

Snickers
03-31-2004, 03:37 PM
No panicking here. Just because one team can give us fits doesn't mean we're not the best in the league. And I fully expect everyone to step it up in the playoffs, so even if we do have the Bucks, I'm not worried the least bit.

Let it happen before you cry about it.

ChicagoJ
03-31-2004, 03:51 PM
We beat the 1996 Bulls twice (only team to do so.)

In fact, the last game of the regular season was so important that, as Brownie said, "They put Michael back in the game to make sure Fred (Hoiberg) didn't beat them." Actually, IIRC, Eddie Johnson hit the gamewinner while Reggie watched from home with a patch over his eye.

My point is that every championship caliber team has an opponent that is a thorn in their side. Not every team can be the 1983 Sixers and essentially sweep the entire playoffs.

No sweat.

(This from the guy usually looking for any excuse to panic.) :whoknows:

Ragnar
03-31-2004, 04:33 PM
btw, what is your icon thingy....it looks familiar, but i don't recall it.

Casablanca

flip
03-31-2004, 06:08 PM
If the P's can't pull a win off tonight, to a sub .500 team, that's lost, what 5 of 6, and been rather easily beaten, how could we expect them to win a 7 game series. tonight could be 4 of 4. ok so the P's will pick it up in the p/o's - but you know, I'll bet the Bucks can to..

I'm a P backer all the way, but if the loss comes tonight, beating the Pisstones don't seem like much of a battle for the ECT.

Hicks
03-31-2004, 06:16 PM
I think we all know the only reason the Bucks are winning is either matchups or style of play, not that they're a better overall team. Same with New Orleans. So while that certainly can raise concern about facing them in the playoffs, that doesn't me we suddenly can't do well against the vast majority of the league's teams.

Hell, we may get to the 2nd round to face Miami, take them in 6, then we have the Pistons, who this Sunday we'll have a bit better idea of how we match up with them post-Sheed.

Bball
03-31-2004, 06:27 PM
If the P's can't pull a win off tonight, to a sub .500 team, that's lost, what 5 of 6, and been rather easily beaten, how could we expect them to win a 7 game series. tonight could be 4 of 4. ok so the P's will pick it up in the p/o's - but you know, I'll bet the Bucks can to..

I'm a P backer all the way, but if the loss comes tonight, beating the Pisstones don't seem like much of a battle for the ECT.

The answer lies in coaching and the player's receptiveness to it. The season is one thing... game after game... trip after trip.... etc. In the playoffs you focus on each opponent and for a stretch at a time. You don't have to save anyone/anything since you know there is no tomorrow and each game itself is of great import. Losing a game in the season is meaningless in the bigger picture as is focusing on any one team. The season is more about a winning 'system'.

OTOH, the playoffs are all about focusing on one team.

Now you could argue that the Bucks have our 'system' figured out but then we've not really taken them on with our set lineup yet.

We'll see what happens and have a better idea after tonight. You'd hope the players themselves have noticed some things they must do better or be more aware of... especially in a back to back situation. There may be some adjustments since the game could be important on a couple of levels that last night's wasn't (tho there still won't be the time to focus on the adjustments like you would in the playoffs). The intensity should be high tonight.

If we are at full strength tonight and the Bucks easily handle us then I'll get a bit more concerned.

-BBall

Unclebuck
03-31-2004, 07:13 PM
I have said this before, but one of the most overrated thing as far as a playoff matchup is concerned is the head-to-head regular season series.

If the pacers lose tonight by 40 points, I still think the Pacers will beat the Bucks in the playoffs.

And if the Pacerss beat the Pistons Sunday by 40 pts, to complete the 4 game regular season sweep, in my mind that means noithing for a potential playoff series.

I have never seen any evidence, ever that what occurs in regular season as far as a matchup is cocnerend carries over to the playoffs.

In the playoffs the better team wins 99.9% of the time. Not the more talented necessarily

Suaveness
03-31-2004, 07:18 PM
I have said this before, but one of the most overrated thing as far as a playoff matchup is concerned is the head-to-head regular season series.

If the pacers lose tonight by 40 points, I still think the Pacers will beat the Bucks in the playoffs.

And if the Pacerss beat the Pistons Sunday by 40 pts, to complete the 4 game regular season sweep, in my mind that means noithing for a potential playoff series.

I have never seen any evidence, ever that what occurs in regular season as far as a matchup is cocnerend carries over to the playoffs.

In the playoffs the better team wins 99.9% of the time. Not the more talented necessarily

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you, because I do, but don't you think that losing to a team 4-0 would have a psychological effect on you? I mean, in the back of their minds, they have to be thinking about it.

Unclebuck
03-31-2004, 07:25 PM

I'm not saying that I don't agree with you, because I do, but don't you think that losing to a team 4-0 would have a psychological effect on you? I mean, in the back of their minds, they have to be thinking about it.

You would think so, but I don't think it does.

I would love to see a study of this, you would have to find instances where the team with a worse record won a regular season against a team then they later played that team in the playoffs. I would be shocked if the team with the better overall regular season record wins close to 80% of the time.

The team with the home court advantage, thus the "better team" wins close to 85% of the time in the playoffs. I think they cited a number last year of like 83%.

Suaveness
03-31-2004, 07:31 PM

You would think so, but I don't think it does.

I would love to see a study of this, you would have to find instances where the team with a worse record won a regular season against a team then they later played that team in the playoffs. I would be shocked if the team with the better overall regular season record wins close to 80% of the time.

The team with the home court advantage, thus the "better team" wins close to 85% of the time in the playoffs. I think they cited a number last year of like 83%.

That would be a good thing to look at. If you take Detroit's series for example, even if we win Sunday, there will be absolutely no psychological advantage for us, because they know that we have only played them once with Sheed.

But you wonder about the Bucks-Pacers. This is obviously a mature Pacers team, and all the talk about us losing on purpose yesterday is crap. I know Rick would never allow it. Or Bird. But if we lose tonight, it would be interesting to see what happens in the playoffs.

I think they should try and study this, and I bet someone has. I think a better team will find ways to overcome a 0-4 deficit in the regular season.

Shade
03-31-2004, 11:34 PM
So, now what does everyone think?

wintermute
03-31-2004, 11:35 PM
regarding regular season sweeps...

i've often seen detroit fans cite last season, when they swept nj 4-0 in the regular season, but ended up being swept by nj in the ecf. talk about reversals.

so yes, sweeping detroit in the regular season won't guarantee anything, just as milwaukee winning 3-1 against us won't.