PDA

View Full Version : the superstar player that is almost ours...

stew
03-31-2004, 04:31 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBqam1ocWIyBF9TAzk1ODYxOTQ4BHNlYwNl Y2w-?slug=sk-celtsplayoffs&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I am reading steve kerr's article with the link above..

and I just found this interesting...

"In 1992-93 (Shaquille O'Neal's rookie season), I was a member of an Orlando Magic team that battled the Indiana Pacers for the eighth spot in the East. We desperately hoped to make the postseason for the first time in franchise history, but the Pacers claimed the final spot based on the fourth tiebreakerat the time (net points in head-to-head matchups).

The Pacers went to the playoffs and were swept by the New York Knicks. The Magic improbably won the lottery, drafted Chris Webber and traded his rights to the Golden State Warriors for Penny Hardaway. Two years later Orlando was in the NBA Finals. Who ended up with the better deal, Indiana or Orlando? "

if only we failed to qualify for the playoff during the 1992-93 season, we could have ended up with the #1 pick that year..then we could have gotten the superstar power forward or the superstar point guard that we have always wanted...

with either webber or penny, the indiana pacers would have the 2nd player to complement reggie... or should I say reggie would be a great complement to webber or penny...

not to mention, when orlando traded webber for penny they got 3 first round picks... Indiana's future would have been better....

what ifs... :D

:laugh: cheers :laugh:

TheSauceMaster
03-31-2004, 04:41 AM
Why would we want Webber , he's never played a full Nba Season since he's been in the League , seems like he is always hurt or something every season.

93-94 GSW 76
94-95 WAS 54
95-96 WAS 15
96-97 WAS 72
97-98 WAS 71
98-99 SAC 42
99-00 SAC 75
00-01 SAC 70
01-02 SAC 54
02-03 SAC 67
03-04 SAC 14

:rolleyes:

About Penny he was awesome with Shaq in Orlando and they made a great duo , but once Shaq left Penny Faded pretty fast in all honesty.

beast23
03-31-2004, 11:23 AM
Why would we want Webber , he's never played a full Nba Season since he's been in the League , seems like he is always hurt or something every season.

93-94 GSW 76
94-95 WAS 54
95-96 WAS 15
96-97 WAS 72
97-98 WAS 71
98-99 SAC 42
99-00 SAC 75
00-01 SAC 70
01-02 SAC 54
02-03 SAC 67
03-04 SAC 14

:rolleyes:

About Penny he was awesome with Shaq in Orlando and they made a great duo , but once Shaq left Penny Faded pretty fast in all honesty.

I think there is a big difference in living in the present and saying that we would not want to acquire Weber at this time because of the money he is paid weighed against the number of games he might be able to play.

But the addition of Weber to our roster would have put this team over the hump against virtually any EC foe, including the Bulls, from the mid-90's through our Finals team. I think we could have been in the Finals every year during that stretch, and would have one the Finals against the Lakers, where we seemed to need one more big body up front.

A front court of Smits, Dale, Antonio, Weber, McKey and Rose would have provided a significant amount of versatility. Although, there is a good chance that with Weber we never would have traded for Jalen.

Stryder
03-31-2004, 12:26 PM
if only we failed to qualify for the playoff during the 1992-93 season, we could have ended up with the #1 pick that year..then we could have gotten the superstar power forward or the superstar point guard that we have always wanted...

Could is the most important word in that paragraph.

Who knows what pick the Pacers might have ended up with... :confused:

Tim
03-31-2004, 08:03 PM
It is best that we didn't draft these guys.
We would have lost them to free agency.

stew
03-31-2004, 09:16 PM
It is best that we didn't draft these guys.
We would have lost them to free agency.

sorry to disagree with you.. but how can you say we would have lost them to free agency... during that time, the pacers has one of the highest payroll in the NBA... so we know they would made ways to keep them...

cheers

stew
03-31-2004, 09:29 PM

Could is the most important word in that paragraph.

Who knows what pick the Pacers might have ended up with... :confused:

yes.. thats why is say could... :P

it also takes a bit of luck to build championship teams.. look at the spurs...