PDA

View Full Version : My job is hard, and unrewarding...

ChicagoJ
12-20-2005, 08:06 PM
:mad:

Don't get me started.

Shade
12-20-2005, 08:11 PM
Too late for that now.

Arcadian
12-21-2005, 02:27 AM
Granted I haven't met many accountants.

But the only accountant's that I have met who like their jobs are the ones who try catch fruad. (It's a little bit scary how much they like it.)

heywoode
12-21-2005, 09:43 AM
:mad:

Don't get me started.

Please....start....

Maniacal ranting is therapeutic...not only for the ranter, but for the people taking it for granted that THEIR job sucks ***....Maybe your's sucks more than mine, and your mindless rant will help me feel better about MY job.....!!!

One way or the other, I'm sure you will get a bunch of sympathy posts in return...You know, "attaboy, it's ok..." and the like....

Please, do tell!

ChicagoJ
12-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, first of all, "My job is hard, and unrewarding" is just something we say around here at the end of a long day, but I thought it fit in well with the other threads in here recently.

But specifically, I'm still a bit p!$$ed off at my annual review. I was given the highest rating possible, which was nice of course, but my promotion was overturned by one of our bureaucrats.

The official promotion announcements are Friday, and I can't wait to see (1) who was approved when I wasn't and (2) how my staff reacts (and who they will blame) when my name is not on the list.

One of my colleagues said that if the year I've had doesn't lead to a promotion, that people will just assume they'll never be promoted either. Our turnover has already been sky high.

But on the bright side, after working round-the-clock all month, I've now got all my year-end deadlines complete, and my clients are happy. So I'm leaving in forty minutes and then I'm done for the year.

Merry Christmas.

Harmonica
12-22-2005, 02:42 PM
But specifically, I'm still a bit p!$$ed off at my annual review. I was given the highest rating possible, which was nice of course, but my promotion was overturned by one of our bureaucrats.
You pīssed somebody off. Or maybe someone just doesn't like the way you look.

Bball
12-22-2005, 02:56 PM
You work for Celtic fans I gather....

-Bball

Stryder
12-22-2005, 03:02 PM
On the topic of my job is hard and unrewarding...

I'm a scientist, a chemist to be exact, but what I'm *****ing about is that my colleagues seem to have no common sense or logical thoughts to them.

We're freakin' scientists...geeze...

Sometimes, I dislike my job....only because of the people around me...

SycamoreKen
12-22-2005, 03:37 PM
On the topic of my job is hard and unrewarding...

I'm a scientist, a chemist to be exact, but what I'm *****ing about is that my colleagues seem to have no common sense or logical thoughts to them.

We're freakin' scientists...geeze...

Sometimes, I dislike my job....only because of the people around me...

Ahh my friend, how smart you are has no relation to how much common sense you have. I have also noticed that, for some reason, their is an inverse relationship between common sense and how high up the food chain one goes in any organization. This is expanded by a factor of 50 when any legislative body or public works institution is involved.

Stryder
12-22-2005, 04:36 PM
Ahh my friend, how smart you are has no relation to how much common sense you have. I have also noticed that, for some reason, their is an inverse relationship between common sense and how high up the food chain one goes in any organization. This is expanded by a factor of 50 when any legislative body or public works institution is involved.

So true.

heywoode
12-22-2005, 06:59 PM
Sorry that it is like that Jay, but it seems you have your end handled well...'bout all you can do, right?!

As for one single person messing up the program with a promotion, I know the feeling. I work in county government and I'm not sure the political game is any tougher at the state level than it is at mine....Cutthroat sometimes...

I had to fight like a dog to get where I am today, and people that I pissed off once, YEARS AGO MIND YOU, are still resentful....

Glad to read that you are off for the year now...I only have a day and a half left.

I hope you (and everyone else) have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Hicks
12-23-2005, 12:33 AM
My job is mildly difficult, but it's stressful and unrewarding because of the pay and some of the people, and it makes me feel unhappy every minute I walk through the building.

SoupIsGood
12-23-2005, 12:39 AM
My job is easy enough, I drive around and deliver and take craps in empty churches. However hours of driving back and forth back and forth back and forth back ad forth through town makes my brain turn to jelly. Sometimes I feel it actually seeping out of one of my ears.

Hicks
12-23-2005, 12:42 AM
I take it back. My job is easy, but repetitive as hell and occasionally involves heavy lifting. Whoopie.

heywoode
12-23-2005, 01:20 AM
Sounds like you guys are paying your dues until you get real jobs....You are working towards a noble cause, Hicks.

Not sure what you do or what is ahead for you soup, I apologize. I just haven't gotten to know you well enough yet!

BTW, Hicks, when I was in Muncie, I worked at the Wise grocery store on Bethel when it first opened, and I also worked at Hardee's, on counter duty...I feel your pain brother!

SoupIsGood
12-23-2005, 01:31 AM
At this point I want to break into psychology somehow. Something scientific and research-oriented would be great, but that's a long ways from now. In the end, if I'm helping people deal with their mental illness somehow I think I'd be happy. There's something mystic about the brain and all that can go wrong and right with it that I love.

Sollozzo
12-23-2005, 02:00 AM
I have a comfortable after school job at an office, but then again I'm just 18 and a senior in High School.

I will certainly experience stress in some job in the future.

Hope things get better for you, Jay.

Soup, are you a senior in High School?

SoupIsGood
12-23-2005, 02:03 AM
^ Yes

Sollozzo
12-23-2005, 02:15 AM
^ Yes

Do you know where you're going to college?

heywoode
12-23-2005, 02:24 AM
At this point I want to break into psychology somehow. Something scientific and research-oriented would be great, but that's a long ways from now. In the end, if I'm helping people deal with their mental illness somehow I think I'd be happy. There's something mystic about the brain and all that can go wrong and right with it that I love.

Thanks for the insight SIG, nice to know...

I agree about the brain...very interesting indeed.

SoupIsGood
12-23-2005, 02:31 AM
Do you know where you're going to college?

Well, my absolute number one choice was Butler. Things were looking pretty bleak as for me actually being able to go there, but a few days ago I heard back from them about a scholarship. They're willing to pay 10,000 or so a year. As long as I can scrounge a little more money from some other scholarships or something, I should be able to go, I think.

You?

Sollozzo
12-23-2005, 02:45 AM
Well, my absolute number one choice was Butler. Things were looking pretty bleak as for me actually being able to go there, but a few days ago I heard back from them about a scholarship. They're willing to pay 10,000 or so a year. As long as I can scrounge a little more money from some other scholarships or something, I should be able to go, I think.

You?

Well, I'm kicking myself right now.

I didn't meet Butler's December 1 deadline. I procrastinated, and was working on essays for scholorships at IU. I think I mailed my application to Butler on November 30, and some friends of mine have heard back from them alreadly, so I don't think they got my application in time to consider me for those scholarships. A guy who is ranked a couple of spots lower than me in the class with roughly the same SAT scores got offered 9,000 I believe.

Even with 9,000 from Butler, it would still be consierably higher than the other schools I'm considering....I'd have a hard time persuading my parents.

I'd love to go to Butler because of it being in Indianapolis, but as you obviously know, it's an extremely expensive school.

I will probably end up at Indiana, Louisville, or Ball State.

Suaveness
12-23-2005, 03:20 PM
I hate chemistry. I don't get it.

Yet I work in an Org Chem lab. Go figure.

I just wish I got paid...

heywoode
12-23-2005, 09:04 PM
I will probably end up at Indiana, Louisville, or Ball State.

Not bad options at all....Good luck!

Stryder
12-27-2005, 07:17 PM
I hate chemistry. I don't get it.

Yet I work in an Org Chem lab. Go figure.

I just wish I got paid...

P. Chem. is far more evil.

pizza guy
12-29-2005, 06:27 PM
Well, my job is tough. I drive around town delivering pizza, making tip money on top of the two dollars per delivery, and my wage. Tough...

PHC Fan
12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
I take it back. My job is easy, but repetitive as hell and occasionally involves heavy lifting. Whoopie.
Lift with your knees and use good form. I worked at the Finish Line warehouse when I was 18 and I blew out my back. I still feel twinges any time that I try to toss my girls up in the air and catch them.

In the end, I think that the pain that I feel now (literally right now) is kind of worth it. My girls mean the world to me, and their laughter soothes a lot of pains.

PHC Fan
12-30-2005, 12:04 PM
makes my brain turn to jelly. Sometimes I feel it actually seeping out of one of my ears.
It's quite good on toast actually.

317Kim
12-30-2005, 12:11 PM
what a great mental image.

SoupIsGood
12-30-2005, 12:16 PM
It's quite good on toast actually.

I just catch it with one hand and nibble on it as I work.

Diamond Dave
12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
My job alternates between ridiculosy easy to nervous break down causing stressful. Most of the time it is uneventful, however there are sometimes that if I were to really screw up someone could actually die!

But I have no complaints. Unless we talk about college, then I have plenty of complaints.

Harmonica
12-30-2005, 12:54 PM
Even with 9,000 from Butler, it would still be consierably higher than the other schools I'm considering....I'd have a hard time persuading my parents.

I'd love to go to Butler because of it being in Indianapolis, but as you obviously know, it's an extremely expensive school.

What about loans?

My brother-in-law paid his own way through Harvard with loans. I believe he's still paying them off. Took me years to pay off mine.

ChicagoJ
12-31-2005, 12:46 AM
You pīssed somebody off. Or maybe someone just doesn't like the way you look.

Could be true...

But the ding-a-ling that overturned it has never met me. I think he just wanted to make sure "his own people" were taken care of.