PDA

View Full Version : If Baby Al returns, how will he coexist with SJax?

CableKC
12-19-2005, 03:29 AM
Let's say that things go the way they go and many of you get your wish when the Pacers successfully negotiates to somehow get Al Harrington.

Baby Al would be a great consolition price Artest thing blows over. But IMHO, I feel that he is either the wrong choice cuz I think that it will be very difficult for Carisle to figure out who will get more touches with SJax and Harrington on the floor in order to keep them happy or we are looking at SJax likely being traded before the trade deadline if both cannot coexist on the court.

We all know how SJax feels about being the 3rd scoring option on the offensive end...he seemed to be more comfortable when he was getting far more touches....but more importantly I get the sense that he wants to be ( or worse....thinks that he should be ) the #2 scoring option. If we do the logical thing and make SJax the 3rd scoring option.....I have a feeling that we are going to be in the same boat we were in prior to Artest leaving....a SJax that is not happy that he is not getting plays called for him or worse that he is going to complain that he isn't the #2 man on the offensive totem pole. We can all say ( and pray ) that maybe SJax can do the right thing and accept being the likely 3rd scoring option for the good of the team....but I have sinking feeling that he won't take to that very well.

The only thing that I think will work is if Carlisle does what I think he should have done a long time ago ( even when Artest was with us ) and make either SJax or Harrington the 6th man...or more specifically....figure out a way to minimize the # of minutes that SJax and Harrington are on the floor.

For those that want Harrington back....after all of you are done celebrating in the streets.....looking at the lineup with JONeal, SJax and Baby Al......who will become the #2 scoring option and ( more importantly ) how do you think the 3rd wheel will take becoming the #3 option in the offensive Pecking order?

Jon Theodore
12-19-2005, 04:06 AM
I don't think we are getting Al, unless we sign him when his contract with the Hawks is up...

we're going to get a steal with Ronnie, probably something really solid in comparison to a lot of trades people have been suggesting.

CableKC
12-19-2005, 01:16 PM
I think that if the Hawks were given enough incentive ( as in getting an acceptable Big Man and/or PG in return along with draft picks ), then they would likely move Harrington since they are more then likely going to move him anyways before the trade deadline.

What I am concerned about is that everyone wants Harrington back but no one seems to look beyond the day that we somehow trade for him to see how the offense is going to be run once we get him back......much less consider whether the Simons are going to open up their wallets to resign him once he does become a free agent after this season is over.

If I were to look at trading back for Harrington....in a vacuum....getting a player back like Harrington would be great.....but since we have to deal with SJax and how he will likely react to having another player that will take shot attempts away from him. The best answer is to tell SJax to be a team player and don't complain about being the #3 scoring option. But I feel that the real answer is that Walsh/Bird actually considers making further moves to somehow move SJax.

Kegboy
12-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I don't know, what happens when two blackholes come into contact with each other. Does the universe implode upon itself? :shudder:

CableKC
12-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I don't mind having 1 black hole playing next to JONeal......whether it is SJax or Baby Al.

I just think that everyone is so in love with the idea about getting back Baby Al...that they aren't looking at the bigger picture beyond simply getting back Baby Al. If it means trading SJax before the trade deadline...then I am fine with that......we can't leave things the way they are and hope that we are going to be okay.....or more specifically that SJax is going to be okay with becoming the 3rd scoring option AGAIN.

Tim
12-19-2005, 08:14 PM
Sigh, why don't you dig out some old tapes of Al starting and see how it will work out.

Remember the times when we started Al because Reggie couldn't play? It was during the beginning of the season, when Isiah was still here.

It was the first time the new roster of JO/Ron/Al enjoyed consistent success.
During that time we debated about bringing Reggie off the bench and letting Al continue to start.

Ron, JO, Tinsley and Brad still got their shots and the team was earning the name "BadBoys" and liking it, WE LIKED IT, maybe not the name, but the recognition that we had something special here. It was fun times.

CableKC
12-19-2005, 08:30 PM
SJax himself had said that his game is much better if he gets more shot attempts with Artest out of the lineup. Do you think that he is going to be happy if he is relegated back to being the 3rd scoring option on the team?

Maybe if Harrington did come back he wouldn't mind becoming the 3rd wheel in the offense. Either way....someone is going to have to take a lesser role in the offense.....and I think that someone will not be happy.

This all goes back to the team chemistry and maturity issue that we have faced........the Pacers have players that are talented but also have egos that need to be soothed...or be traded.

So that you don't have to read between the lines....if Harrington comes back.....I think we should trade SJax before the trade deadline for a SG that doesn't mind being a 3rd / 4th scoring option on the team.

Isaac
12-19-2005, 08:48 PM
Maybe SJax actually doesn't mind being the third option, I mean he does seem to want Artest to come back.

BlueNGold
12-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Maybe SJax actually doesn't mind being the third option, I mean he does seem to want Artest to come back.

I first thought this was a silly comment, but that seems to be a good question.

I think it all boils down to the fact they are both idiots.

CableKC
12-19-2005, 09:00 PM
I think that if Carlisle sat down with SJax and explained to him that he should be a team player, that he should take less shots for the team but be sure to to hit the shots that he is given....that he will be happy with that. If anything....I wouldn't be surprised if SJax doesn't share a similiar view with Artest about Carlisle's offense and how he runs it.

On a perfect team.....no one really cares about who is the 1st/2nd/3rd/15th scoroing option.....but let's face facts....we are far from having a perfect team.

Kegboy
12-19-2005, 09:11 PM

I heard Jack on James Brown's radio show late last week, and when asked if other players had problems with Rick's offense, he said no, and went on to say that with Ron here he was the 3rd option, and he had no problem with that, cause the team was more important.

That said, I think he's shown he plays better when he is a primary option.

PacerMan
12-19-2005, 09:12 PM
Sigh, why don't you dig out some old tapes of Al starting and see how it will work out.

Remember the times when we started Al because Reggie couldn't play? It was during the beginning of the season, when Isiah was still here.

It was the first time the new roster of JO/Ron/Al enjoyed consistent success.
During that time we debated about bringing Reggie off the bench and letting Al continue to start.

Ron, JO, Tinsley and Brad still got their shots and the team was earning the name "BadBoys" and liking it, WE LIKED IT, maybe not the name, but the recognition that we had something special here. It was fun times.

We positively destroyed teams for awhile there. Beat some good teams badly too. Blows my mind that no one here seems capable of remembering that. (except apparently you :) TWO SEASONS AGO!

CableKC
12-19-2005, 09:27 PM
^^^ehh...I don't remember what I did last week...much less how the Pacers were doing 2 seasons ago. The only thing I remember from 2 seasons ago was that we didn't win cuz our team was perpetually injured.