PDA

View Full Version : This Harrington thing is interesting

ABADays
12-18-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm not a big, big fan of Harrington but having dealt with the likes of Artest, Jax and Tinsley he would almost be a breath of fresh air. So . . .

Do you absolutely think he is headed here - at least no later than next year? I think he is because to Walsh he is a known quanitity. I do think he has matured enough - and has experienced what it is like to play for a terrible team - to also appreciate what he had and could have here.

Kstat
12-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Would Harrington accept the MLE? I'm not sure.

This summer is Al's "big payday." He's not going to get a better contract than he's going to get this summer. Obviously he doesn't like to lose, but if he feels the Hawks are heading in the right direction (like I do) he might take more money from them and stay.

sweabs
12-18-2005, 01:50 PM
So long as Carlisle goes with a lineup of Granger at the 3, Harrington at the 4, and Jermaine at the 5, we could be safe. We are getting killed on the boards, and a frontline of Baby Al and JO is still not that great - but Granger would definitely be needed to get some of those boards.

I don't want Al taking any PT away from Granger, and I don't want to see him played at the 3 spot at all.

Bball
12-18-2005, 01:52 PM
As a FA, I doubt he is headed here unless his market value makes him a bargain.

As a return in trade for Artest... I have to wonder if Harrington is too much to expect.

IF he is already a Pacer next summer then I'm not certain what our interest would be in keeping him and at exactly what cost.

-Bball

Hicks
12-18-2005, 01:53 PM
what is the report on his knee? didn't he say that he had to play through pain?

He's been playing through pain since he came back in '03.

Naptown Seth
12-18-2005, 01:54 PM
I don't think we'll sign him in the offseason. Like I said, he'd have to accept a well below market value contract (MLE), or we'd have to work out a sign & trade to land him.
If Al ends up back in Indiana within the next year, it's gonna be because Donnie lands him in the Ron trade.

Kstat
12-18-2005, 01:55 PM
If he's in pain, it's hard to tell.

Will Galen
12-18-2005, 02:20 PM
I don't think we'll sign him in the offseason. Like I said, he'd have to accept a well below market value contract (MLE), or we'd have to work out a sign & trade to land him.
If Al ends up back in Indiana within the next year, it's gonna be because Donnie lands him in the Ron trade.

I agree, but if we get him for Ron I think he will sign an extension. Al will be 26 in Feb. He could probably sign a 4 year extension with us for $34.7 Million and then maybe be able to sign another contract when he's 30. If not, a five year contract would be, $45.2 million, and a six year contract would be $56.4 million. If he wants more than that he's just being a greedy Boozer.

Jermaniac
12-18-2005, 02:29 PM
I agree, but if we get him for Ron I think he will sign an extension. Al will be 26 in Feb. He could probably sign a 4 year extension with us for $34.7 Million and then maybe be able to sign another contract when he's 30. If not, a five year contract would be, $45.2 million, and a six year contract would be $56.4 million. If he wants more than that he's just being a greedy Boozer. How do you figure we can give him all that money? We dont have any cap, we only have the MLE.

Kstat
12-18-2005, 02:30 PM
How does he sign an extension with a team that he doean't play for? :laugh:

Will Galen
12-18-2005, 02:34 PM
How do you figure we can give him all that money? We dont have any cap, we only have the MLE.

How does he sign an extension with a team that he doean't play for? :laugh:

Read my post again! I said, "If we get him for Ron!" :toomuch:

Naptown Seth
12-18-2005, 03:42 PM
Believe me, Donnie knows what kinda money Al will fetch thius offseason, so if he trades for him, I'm sure he's already decided he'll pay him what it takes to keep him. He's not gonna trade for him if he doesn't think he's worth paying.

Jermaniac
12-18-2005, 03:49 PM
Read my post again! I said, "If we get him for Ron!" :toomuch:Okay how the hell does that change what I asked? If we get him for Ron how are going to resign him without any cap room? I dont really understand the CBA so maybe you can explain it to me.

Bball
12-18-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay how the hell does that change what I asked? If we get him for Ron how are going to resign him without any cap room? I dont really understand the CBA so maybe you can explain it to me.

He would be our own FA at that point so we could go over the cap to re-sign him (unless something has changed in the new CBA) BUT we'd still have to deal with the ramnifications of the luxury tax if we cross that threshold.

So it will ultimately be a matter of what TPTB would and could pay as dictated by those who control "the gold".

-Bball

Unclebuck
12-18-2005, 05:11 PM
Anyone watching Al destroy the Nuggets. His passing is much better, he is just a much better player than two seasons ago

Swingman
12-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Please no Harrington. He's not what we need.

Evan_The_Dude
12-18-2005, 05:23 PM
Who else on this team would you consider a reliable shooter besides Saras? I think that answers the question about what we need. Al is good, but he's not exactly what we need at the moment. Not unless O'Neal is going to play the 5 for the rest of his career.

Mourning
12-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Who else on this team would you consider a reliable shooter besides Saras? I think that answers the question about what we need. Al is good, but he's not exactly what we need at the moment. Not unless O'Neal is going to play the 5 for the rest of his career.

Yup! My thoughts exactly. Great player to add, but unless JO wants to play 3/4 of his time at the Center position I wouldn't even care considering it and to add the uncertainty of him staying ... makes me only more nervous of trying to get him here again.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Naptown Seth
12-18-2005, 05:59 PM
Al is what we need, he's just not all that we need.

He's a small forward with nice offense, defense, and very nice rebounding.

However you're right, we also need a shooter. In order to get that we need to move 1 or more of Jackson, Tinsley, Fred Jones, Harrison, or Pollards contract. Perhaps we can get something else in the Artest deal that will make one of the above mentioned players more expendable.

Bball
12-18-2005, 06:01 PM
I'd be OK with getting Al back if I'm told he'll be returning to his 6th man role and will be embracing it this time.

That's not to say I couldn't accept him starting, if there was a way to make it work for the short AND long term betterment of the team. But knowing he's happily coming here ready and willing to accept and embrace a 6th man role would tell me he's matured into a team guy with few question marks.

Of course words are one thing... actions are another...
Gotta start somewhere tho.

-Bball

Naptown Seth
12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I'd be OK with getting Al back if I'm told he'll be returning to his 6th man role and will be embracing it this time.

That's not to say I couldn't accept him starting, if there was a way to make it work for the short AND long term betterment of the team. But knowing he's happily coming here ready and willing to accept and embrace a 6th man role would tell me he's matured into a team guy with few question marks.

Of course words are one thing... actions are another...
Gotta start somewhere tho.

-Bball
:confused:

That's mind boggling. Why would the Pacers bring in a player of Harrington's ability and then bring him off the bench, especially when they have a young up and ocming SF already coming off the bench in Granger? Harrington has upped his game to a near All-Star level. No way do you bring as player of tha caliber off the bench unless you have an All-Star playing in front of him, and the Pacers do not.

Mourning
12-18-2005, 06:24 PM
Because, I think most of us don't want to see Al playing at the SF position, but at the PF position, JO's starting position usually in other words, hence why some of us made a remark not minding to have him unless JO is willing to play 3/4 or more of his oncourt time at Center.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Bball
12-18-2005, 06:52 PM
:confused:

That's mind boggling. Why would the Pacers bring in a player of Harrington's ability and then bring him off the bench, especially when they have a young up and ocming SF already coming off the bench in Granger? Harrington has upped his game to a near All-Star level. No way do you bring as player of tha caliber off the bench unless you have an All-Star playing in front of him, and the Pacers do not.

Did you read past the first line or so?

Your answer was right there.

Technically, JO is an All Star and he'd be playing in front of Al on most teams that were trying to put a balanced lineup on the court. I see Al as more of a PF than a SF. ...altho I think Al can play SF BUT I'm not convinced he can play it as well as Granger can (potentially).

But we don't use our true centers anyway so I don't know what kind of a lineup we'd try and put on the court if Al was here.

Does Al automatically play SF and the rest stays the same?

After these past few years I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY want team guys on the court. Ballhogs, blackholes, and people putting the "I" in "TEAM" need not apply. I want to know Al is ready and willing to do whatever is best for the team, regardless of where that puts him in the rotation. That was my point. We've bent over backwards for players, egos, and attitudes long enough. If his coming here includes an agenda, then he can stay in Atlanta. If he's coming here humble and ready to get his hands dirty, and the coaches have a way to make it work (and not merely trying to fit square pegs into round holes or apply band-aids), then: "Al Harrington- Come on Down!"

-Bball

jmoney2584
12-18-2005, 07:03 PM
i think with Al being best friends with JO and this now being JOs team that he would fall into the team play easily, he's not going to disrupt the offense and **** off his boy.

sure he doesn't get a lot of assists in atlanta...but who is there to assist? they are about the worst team in the league, he's not a point guard. The team assist leader for Atlanta is freakin Joe Johnson with 5.2 a game, al harrington is second on that team with 3.2 a game, there just aren't a lot of assists going down in A-town. In the pacers system harrington would do better.

Kstat
12-18-2005, 07:15 PM
sure he doesn't get a lot of assists in atlanta...but who is there to assist?

In all fairness, the hawks average more points than Indiana.

jmoney2584
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
I guess i would blame it on the offense they run, maybe more iso plays and such. I haven't seen them play this year so i can't judge that i ws just noticing there isn't really anyone that jumps out at you on that team as an assist man, with a better offense in place and better options i feel Al could get those assists. Al wouldn't have 35 points and no assists as a pacer, thats all i'm saying. If he was doubled there would be 4 players on the court he could pass to and get an assist at any given time. The hawks just blow....glad i'm not from georgia

sixthman
12-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Would Harrington accept the MLE? I'm not sure.

I'm sure. No, he would not accept the MLE, if someone offered him several million more.

Al is certainly going to think he is worth more than the near 7 million he is making now. Count on it. And there is going to be a team out there who will be willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth. Maybe it will be the Pacers, but the Pacers will need to figure out where the money is coming from first.

Naptown Seth
12-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I'm sure. No, he would not accept the MLE, if someone offered him several million more.

Al is certainly going to think he is worth more than the near 7 million he is making now. Count on it. And there is going to be a team out there who will be willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth. Maybe it will be the Pacers, but the Pacers will need to figure out where the money is coming from first.
Hard to say what Harrington will command. I'd say his worth is probably around $9M. But with the way players have been massively overpaid the past few years, you never know what kinda offer he'll get.

As for where they'll find the cash to pay him - Pollard, Bender, and Croshere are all off the books within the end of next year, and that's over $20M.

*edit* Wow, I'm talking like he's already here.....

tadscout
12-18-2005, 07:41 PM

People, if he gets traded here we can offer him whatever we want... it'll just mean we'll have to pay higher salary tax for it... (I'm just trying to say you can re-sign your own players only the salary tax restricts you...)