PDA

View Full Version : Agent: Artest doesn't want to be traded by Pacers (Team quotes)

Pacersfan.
12-17-2005, 10:15 PM
Agent: Artest doesn't want to be traded by Pacers
Dec. 17, 2005
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest doesn't want to be traded by the Indiana Pacers after all, his agent says.
Artest said last weekend that his past in Indiana haunts him, and he is interested in being traded to the New York Knicks or Cleveland Cavaliers.
But Mark Stevens, Artest's agent, told the Associated Press on Saturday that Artest holds out hope he can remain with the Pacers.
"At this moment, we're not going to put the buggy before the horse," Stevens said. "We're waiting to hear from (Pacers president) Donnie Walsh, the gentleman and scholar that he is, and hope this can be resolved to where there won't have to be a trade."
Teammate Stephen Jackson said Artest called him Friday night, and hopes his teammate will return.
"He wants to play basketball, that's all he wants to do," Jackson said before the Pacers played the New York Knicks. "He wants to play basketball, he wants to win.

Lines of communication are open between Ron Artest and teammate Stephen Jackson. (Getty Images)
"I think he wants to play basketball with us. He loves his teammates; he has no problems with his teammates."
Artest triggered a brawl with Detroit Pistons fans in November 2004 and was suspended for 73 games and the playoffs. Walsh said the latest incident was "the last straw of a lot of issues."
Jackson also was suspended for the brawl.
"I almost lost my job for him last year, so that's my friend," Jackson said. "So I respect his decision; whatever he feels, he feels."
Stevens said Walsh told him he is prepared to make Artest inactive with pay for the rest of the season if he can't find a suitable trade.
"I understand the frustration as a general manager, dealing with the past incidents with Ron, and I can understand if he sees fit to do that," Stevens said.
The NBA fined Artest $10,000 Thursday for making public statements detrimental to the NBA.
Artest was a key component on a team expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He leads the league in steals and is the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game.
He said he was unhappy playing in coach Rick Carlisle's system. Carlisle said any decision regarding Artest's return would be left up to Walsh and Larry Bird.
"Right now, this is a franchise decision and fortunately for us it's in the hands of Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird, who are two of the best basketball people that there's ever been in this league," Carlisle said. "So they'll decide which is the best way to go.
"We built an entire system around him and Jermaine O'Neal, and I'm disappointed because I've been one of his biggest supporters. But this situation has gotten to where it is."
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service
Copyright 2004-2005, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nba/story/9102156

Hicks
12-17-2005, 10:17 PM
He needs to shut up and accept his fate; he earned this.

Jermaniac
12-17-2005, 10:37 PM
awwwwwww poor Ronnie, now you want to come back. If I didnt hate losing so much I would love for us to TO his ***.

Kaufman
12-17-2005, 10:40 PM
A PLOY to improve PR!!!!

Don't believe the hype!

Pacesetter
12-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Stephen Jackson isn't who I listen to. It's JO's team, and JO is the one Ron needs to call and ask. Obviously, the fans I've spoken with want Ron out of town. They've had it with him.

Shade
12-17-2005, 10:50 PM
Since Jack is such good friends with Ron, can we send them both out the door together?

indytoad
12-17-2005, 11:06 PM
Since Jack is such good friends with Ron, can we send them both out the door together?

I was thinking the same thing...

Talent-wise that might get some value back...but I dunno how many teams would want a coupla head cases.

IndyToad
Hi everybody, I'm puppet lad

8.9_seconds
12-17-2005, 11:11 PM
Doesn't it seem pretty stupid that the league can fine you for what you say? Yeah I know that they Did it to Jeff Van Gundy in the playoffs, and they've done it before, and it's probably been discussed before, but it really burns me up. Next thing you know they'll fine the players for the length of.........oh yeah.

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 11:16 PM
If his teammates wanted him back, I'd welcome him back. But that's not going to happen

sweabs
12-17-2005, 11:19 PM
"I think he wants to play basketball with us. He loves his teammates; he has no problems with his teammates."

So do you want to side with Ron over Coach Carlisle, Stephen?

:rolleyes:

Obviously you guys are tight, and I'd hate to see you two broken apart...:rolleyes:

PfanIU18
12-17-2005, 11:25 PM
i swear if we take him back he will know that he can do whatever he wants here without being punished...i was the biggest ron artest fan but its time for him to go

Ragnar
12-17-2005, 11:25 PM
I doubt Jermaine would take his call so it would be hard for Ron to make contact with him.

Pacesetter
12-17-2005, 11:31 PM
How does Ron intend to make all this go away? Telling Magic Johnson he has no business telling him he doesn't deserve a second chance, because (of all personal things to talk about) Magic's wife gave him a second chance?

Yo, Ron, check this out ... did you ever notice the big tall lanky white dude hitting all those threes against Magic in those highlight reels? That was actually the "Great Creator" ... the one and only, Larry Bird - YOUR BOSS!

:crazy: :rolleyes: :D

Ragnar
12-17-2005, 11:32 PM
How does Ron intend to make all this go away? Telling Magic Johnson he has no business telling him he doesn't deserve a second chance, because (of all personal things to talk about) Magic's wife took him back after he cheated on his wife.

Yo, Ron, check this out ... did you ever notice the big tall lanky white dude hitting all those threes against Magic in theose highlight reels? That was actually the "Great Creator" ... the one and only, Larry Bird - YOUR BOSS!

:crazy: :rolleyes: :D

Who happens to be friends with Magic.

Shade
Doesn't it seem pretty stupid that the league can fine you for what you say? Yeah I know that they Did it to Jeff Van Gundy in the playoffs, and they've done it before, and it's probably been discussed before, but it really burns me up. Next thing you know they'll fine the players for the length of.........oh yeah.

Yeah, you'd think that would be a violation of free speech... :shrug:

travmil
I've been a big Pacers fan since Reggie's arrival and I'm serious about this. If Ron is allowed to come back to this team, I will no longer support the Pacers in any way shape or form until those that made the decision are no longer affiliated with the team.

Shade
12-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Know what's kind of odd to me? No direct quotes from Ron about wanting to come back, and no quotes from Larry about any of this PERIOD. I know he's overseas, but surely someone could get a quote via phone...?

Jermaniac
12-17-2005, 11:34 PM
I doubt Jermaine would take his call so it would be hard for Ron to make contact with him.I think he is scared to call Jermaine now

Ragnar
12-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Yeah, you'd think that would be a violation of free speech... :shrug:

No it would not. He is employed by the league and when he is representing them they have the right to say he cant say things that are detrimental to them. It was added to the last colective barganing agreement. The players agreed to it so the league can do it.

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 11:35 PM
Here is another article with a few more quotes.

http://www.fpnotebook.com/END35.htm

Agent: Artest wants to remain a Pacer
By Cliff Brunt
Associated Press
December 17, 2005

INDIANAPOLIS -- Ron Artest doesn't want to be traded by the Indiana Pacers after all, his agent says.

Artest said last weekend that his past in Indiana haunts him, and he is interested in being traded to the New York Knicks or Cleveland Cavaliers.
But Mark Stevens, Artest's agent, told The Associated Press on Saturday that Artest holds out hope he can remain with the Pacers.

"At this moment, we're not going to put the buggy before the horse," Stevens said. "We're waiting to hear from (Pacers president) Donnie Walsh, the gentleman and scholar that he is, and hope this can be resolved to where there won't have to be a trade."

Teammate Stephen Jackson said Artest called him Friday night, and hopes his teammate will return.

"He wants to play basketball, that's all he wants to do," Jackson said before the Pacers played the New York Knicks. "He wants to play basketball, he wants to win.

"I think he wants to play basketball with us. He loves his teammates, he has no problems with his teammates."

Artest triggered a brawl with Detroit Pistons fans in November 2004 and was suspended for 73 games and the playoffs. Walsh said the latest incident was "the last straw of a lot of issues."

Jackson also was suspended for the brawl.

"I almost lost my job for him last year, so that's my friend," Jackson said. "So I respect his decision, whatever he feels, he feels."

Stevens said Walsh told him he is prepared to make Artest inactive with pay for the rest of the season if he can't find a suitable trade.

"I understand the frustration as a general manager, dealing with the past incidents with Ron, and I can understand if he sees fit to do that," Stevens said.

The NBA fined Artest $10,000 Thursday for making public statements detrimental to the NBA.

Artest was a key component on a team expected to challenge for the Eastern Conference crown. He leads the league in steals and is the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points a game.

He said he was unhappy playing in coach Rick Carlisle's system. Carlisle said any decision regarding Artest's return would be left up to Walsh and Larry Bird.

"Right now, this is a franchise decision and fortunately for us it's in the hands of Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird, who are two of the best basketball people that there's ever been in this league," Carlisle said. "So they'll decide which is the best way to go.

"We built an entire system around him and Jermaine O'Neal and I'm disappointed because I've been one of his biggest supporters. But this situation has gotten to where it is."

Shade
12-17-2005, 11:36 PM
No it would not. He is employed by the league and when he is representing them they have the right to say he cant say things that are detrimental to them. It was added to the last colective barganing agreement. The players agreed to it so the league can do it.

I always figured the United States Constitution held precedence over the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement. :shrug:

Ragnar
12-17-2005, 11:38 PM
I always figured the United States Constitution held precedence over the NBA's Collective Bargaining Agreement. :shrug:

So in what way was what he said either religious or political speech?

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 11:41 PM
This has nothing to do with free speech. As an employee you can't just say whatever you want. That is not what "free speech" means at all

Shade
12-17-2005, 11:42 PM
So in what way was what he said either religious or political speech?

Hey, I'm not defending him at all. It just seems odd to me that the NBA has the power to restrict free speech in a nation that emphasizes it.

Slick Pinkham
12-17-2005, 11:44 PM

The constitutional protection of free speech applies to the GOVERNMENT being unable to punish you for your opinions, stating your beliefs is never CRIMINAL behavior.

Ron Artest is protected fully by the Constitution-- he cannot be arrested and thrown in jail for what he said.

He can however suffer other punishments consistent with negogiated collective bargaining agreements.

denyfizle
12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
puhleeeeeeeeezzzz. Even if Ron begs on national TV I would say it's DUMB to even consider bringing him back.

Kstat
12-17-2005, 11:45 PM
Ron has the right to say whatever he wants.

And his employer has the rght to fine him for it.

How is that any different than any normal job?

Los Angeles
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
This has nothing to do with free speech. As an employee you can't just say whatever you want. That is not what "free speech" means at all

That's exactly right. You have the right to say whatever you want. And your empoloyers have the right to show you the door for saying stupid crap any time they want.

Freedom is universal, baby.

:usa:

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
The constitutional protection of free speech applies to the GOVERNMENT being unable to punish you for your opinions, stating your beliefs is never CRIMINAL behavior.

Ron Artest is protected fully by the Constitution-- he cannot be arrested and thrown in jail for what he said.

He can however suffer other punishments consistent with negogiated collective bargaining agreements.

Exactly right

Hicks
12-17-2005, 11:47 PM

Can I borrow this quote the next time I'm called a Nazi? :smirk:

Frank Slade
12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Freedom of speech is a right however its frequently mis interpreted...
you have the right not to be censored when speaking your opinion even if it does not agree with the current political or religious majority etc..
basically censorship right...

However just like any company they have the right to enter into an agreement like banning employees on speaking on certain issues that could impair or hinder business. For instance leaking any information before a merger or an impending event that may hurt or help the company etc..

You can say whatever you want , whenver. But if you work for a company who in turn implements a rule on what you are able to say, you have to follow it.

Lord Helmet
12-18-2005, 12:00 AM
Can I borrow this quote the next time I'm called a Nazi? :smirk:
:laugh:

Pacers#1Fan
12-18-2005, 12:08 AM
Is there an *** kissing smilie?

Pacersfan.
12-18-2005, 12:20 AM

I laughed out loud when I saw that quote.

pizza guy
12-18-2005, 12:20 AM

Really! That's what I thought when I read that. I just laughed because I knew it was a load of crock from a desperate agent. Then I saw the quote from Carlisle about DW and LB being great basketball people, and before I saw Carlisle's name, I laughed even harder because I thought it was the agent again trying to wax poetic.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pathetic. Goodbye Ron.

Unclebuck
12-18-2005, 12:28 AM
Here is what I don't understand about "you guys"

If the players truly wanted Ron back, if the coaches truly wanted Ron back, if DW, LB and the Simons truly wanted Ron back. (play along with me here, don't argue with my comment to this point) If they all wanted Ron back, then how in the world would you not want Ron back.

Jermaniac
12-18-2005, 12:31 AM
Cause he requested a trade. To me he really made it clear he didnt want to be a Pacer. He promised us all a whole bunch of **** during the offseason and as soon as a few games passed and he wasnt getting Kobe Bryant shots he wanted to leave. He is not to be trusted, how the hell are we sure that he wont up and ask for a trade in 2 months when he is on his period again?

Kstat
12-18-2005, 12:32 AM

If the players truly wanted Ron back, if the coaches truly wanted Ron back, if DW, LB and the Simons truly wanted Ron back. (play along with me here, don't argue with my comment to this point) If they all wanted Ron back, then how in the world would you not want Ron back.

I can't imagine any reality where all of the above would want Ron back.

If by some miracle that DOES occur, then Ron's teamates/coaches have CLEARLY become so blinded by his talent that they can't see past their own noses.

It would be utter suicide to welcome him back with open arms. You're basically TELLING him that he can say or do whatever he wants because his talent makes him above the rules.

That's not just for Ron, but for JO and Jackson and Tinsley. If Donnie lets Ron stomp all over him, how are the other players supposed to respect his authority?

It would be simply for Donnie to bend over in front of the pacer bench and allow each pacer to give him a wedgie as they walk past him to enter the game.

Jermaniac
12-18-2005, 12:33 AM

If by some miracle that DOES occur, then Ron's teamates/coaches have CLEARLY become so blinded by his talent that they can't see past their own noses.

It would be utter suicide to welcome him back with open arms. You're basically TELLING him that he can say or do whatever he wants because his talent makes him above the rules.Exactly, it will be a sign to the players that they can act anyway they want and do whatever the hell they want and they will be allowed to be Pacers again. Might as well let people from prison play on our team.

indygeezer
12-18-2005, 12:36 AM

Are you ready for this UB? I'd let him come back. Mainly becasue I think SJax is the bigger problem. And I think coming to the edge and looking over into the abyss may actually have shown Ron what he was throwing away.
But...I think it's too late for that.

Unclebuck
12-18-2005, 12:38 AM

It would be utter suicide to welcome him back with open arms. You're basically TELLING him that he can say or do whatever he wants because his talent makes him above the rules.

That's not just for Ron, but for JO and Jackson and Tinsley. If Donnie lets Ron stomp all over him, how are the other players supposed to respect his authority?

It would be simply for Donnie to bend over in front of the pacer bench and allow each pacer to give him a wedgie as they walk past him to enter the game.

What if they brought him back with some conditions

indygeezer
12-18-2005, 12:39 AM

Uh Oh, I doubt if he'd understand the term ZERO TOLERENCE.

Unclebuck
12-18-2005, 12:42 AM
They already did that. 43 times.

It's over.

I always heard that the 44th time is always the best

Kstat
12-18-2005, 12:44 AM

IU brought back Knight with "conditions." Didn't work. When you get away with somethign for so long, nothing scares you.

The fact Ron has pretty much completely ignored the rules and has been getting away with it for so many years now pretty much proves he doesnt care about consequences. The man knows he's talented, and he knows his talent makes other people bow down to him. No matter what line you give him, he's going to break it, UB.

Besides, so give him "conditions" NOW??? After 157812875 flagrant fouls, missing team flights, phantom injuries, 11/19, a PUBLIC TRADE DEMAND, undermining his coach, and alienating his teamates, NOW he's going to have "CONDITIONS"?

:laugh: sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one that finds this stuff funny....

heywoode
12-18-2005, 12:46 AM
:laugh: sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one that finds this stuff funny....

You aren't.

Arcadian
12-18-2005, 12:47 AM
UB, is the question what if Ron had not alienated his teammates, front office and fans all of him stuck with him after the brawl would I want him back?

Sure but then I would also want him back if he didn't charge into the stands, get suspended multiple time for multiple offenses, ask for time off, talk about retiring, complain about his role and create tension in the lockerroom.

Unfortunately he has done all of those things and now I want no part of him.

brichard
12-18-2005, 12:47 AM

No No No.

Done, complete, ended.

Ronnie has completed Employee suicide. His talking about coming back reminds me of a Seinfeld episode when George pretended not to quit, even though the had. "Quit? Who Quit?"

If you ask Donnie to be traded, you will be. Donnie is very consistent on this. I no longer want Ron back and I would question the sanity of anybody who would. He has clearly demonstrated year after year that he can not keep his head out of his bum for a complete year.

If he is the "Rasheed Wallace" a team needs to get over the top, then I will honestly be happy for him. However, it isn't happening here and we needed a reason to get rid of one of our nut jobs anyway. I'm glad we are exporting the king of the nuts.

Pacers#1Fan
12-18-2005, 12:48 AM
IU brought back Knight with "conditions." Didn't work.I am not arguing that the Pacers should bring Ron back at all... believe me, but IU would be a hell of a lot better with Knight.

cracktower
12-18-2005, 12:49 AM
[
:laugh: sometimes I wonder why I'm the only one that finds this stuff funny....[/quote]

simple, You are not a Pacer fan.:(

Kstat
12-18-2005, 12:53 AM
simple, You are not a Pacer fan.:(

If I were one of you guys, I wouldn't even see Ron as a Pacer anymore. He's not going to play for you again, whats the point in getting caught up in anything he says?

Pacers#1Fan
12-18-2005, 12:58 AM
If I were one of you guys, I wouldn't even see Ron as a Pacer anymore. He's not going to play for you again, whats the point in getting caught up in anything he says?That may be one of the only things I ever agree with you on.

Los Angeles
12-18-2005, 01:03 AM
I'm about to post the most profound, heartfelt and insightful writing in my carreer at PD:

Hey Ron - F*** YOU!

And while I'm at it - Hey Ron's Agent - F*** YOU TOO!

I feel better now.

Stryder
12-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Yes sir-ee Bob.

The Bill of Rights only applies to freedom FROM gov't intervention.

The NBA can fine him for his comments. It's very simple.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights is misinterpreted ALL THE TIME.

I think it is not taught in school anymore.

3Ball
12-18-2005, 02:10 AM
Yes sir-ee Bob.

The Bill of Rights only applies to freedom FROM gov't intervention.

The NBA can fine him for his comments. It's very simple.

The Constitution and the Bill of Rights is misinterpreted ALL THE TIME.

I think it is not taught in school anymore.

So the constitution doesn't apply to businesses? Does this mean that businesses can arrest their employees without a warrent? Prevent their black employees from voting? Quarter soldiers in their employees' homes during peace time?

Stryder
12-18-2005, 02:34 AM
So the constitution doesn't apply to businesses? Does this mean that businesses can arrest their employees without a warrent? Prevent their black employees from voting? Quarter soldiers in their employees' homes during peace time?

I actually only was speaking about the freedom of speech.

Rytas_Jega
12-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Might as well let people from prison play on our team.

One question about basketball players with crimes in their biography. Can they play in the NBA?

Some years ago Lithuanian Ksystof Lavrinovic couldn't sign with Toronto Raptors because Canada's embassy refused to give a visa for him for his past deeds.

Is it the same situation in the United States of America? If not, what about NBA regulations? Do they allow to play criminals?

For us Lithuanians it's sad not to see talented Lavrinovic twins in the league where Burke, Potapenko, Marks and other third-class players get wages.

ABADays
12-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm about to post the most profound, heartfelt and insightful writing in my carreer at PD:

Hey Ron - F*** YOU!

And while I'm at it - Hey Ron's Agent - F*** YOU TOO!

I feel better now.

Wish I could figure out what those * meant.

hoopsforlife
12-18-2005, 11:59 AM
Wish I could figure out what those * meant.

I R E :)

Jermaniac
12-18-2005, 12:34 PM
"We can never play together,'' he said after Friday's game against Utah. "If he came back somehow, it would be him or me.''

So much for his teammates wanting him back

Since86
12-19-2005, 01:24 PM

Talk about missing the boat........

BillS
12-19-2005, 06:27 PM
I always heard that the 44th time is always the best

Yeah, but I'm getting old. It takes me two whole days to get to the 44th time ...