PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets eyeing Artest

Unclebuck
12-17-2005, 08:09 AM
Nothing really new here. But this is the only trade speculation article I found today.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/nba/article/0,2777,DRMN_23922_4322758,00.html

Denver eyeing Artest
Pacers official says Vandeweghe called on possible trade

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
December 17, 2005

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The Denver Nuggets are in the hunt for Ron Artest, called by Carmelo Anthony "the type of piece we need."

Indiana Pacers CEO and president Donnie Walsh said Friday that Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe called him earlier this week to express interest in Artest. The often-troubled Pacers forward has requested a trade.

"They called to see what we want (for Artest)," Walsh said of the Nuggets.

Walsh said it was a preliminary call, and wouldn't speculate on the chances of Artest going to Denver. Walsh plans to keep in touch with the Nuggets as he will with all 20 or so teams that have called.

Asked which Denver players the Pacers might seek, Walsh said, "I will be telling Kiki that" rather than going through the media.

Artest primarily is a small forward, Anthony's position in Denver. But Anthony said he would favor Artest coming to the Nuggets, and one of the two could play shooting guard.

"He's the type of piece we need," Anthony said of the 2003-04 Defensive Player of the Year. "Everything he does. Intensity. Defense. Offense."

General manager Kiki Vandeweghe is not on Denver's ongoing trip. Vandeweghe, who declined comment Monday about Artest, didn't return a message.

Artest has had many troubles in his seven-year career, most notably having been suspended for 73 games last season for going into the stands during a November 2004 game at Detroit, which ignited a brawl. Nuggets coach George Karl was asked whether he could coach Artest.

"I think in my years of 1,500 games of coaching, I've coached every person," Karl said.

Karl wouldn't speculate on the possibility of Denver landing Artest. He said he had not spoken to Vandeweghe in two days, but figures to talk to him after the six-game trip ends Sunday in Atlanta.

Artest is making $6.5 million in the fourth year of a six-year, $42 million contract. There is little chance he will stay in Indiana.

"We plan on trading him," Walsh said.

PASSING FANCY: Andre Miller's 2001-02 season is looking less like a fluke.

Miller averaged an NBA-most 10.9 assists for Cleveland. After that, the point guard had seasons of 6.7 for the Los Angeles Clippers and 6.1 and 6.9 for the Nuggets.

But Miller this season is up to 8.2. He had 13 in Friday's 115-106 overtime loss to New Jersey, and has averaged 9.6 the past 10 games.

"I've just got a chance to play with the guys a couple of years," said Miller, who also said his Cleveland teammates "didn't dribble as much," leading to more assists. "I'm just trying to make the simple plays."

TNT analyst Steve Kerr, though, doesn't see anything simple about the way Miller aggressively drives.

"Miller is among the best in the league at (that)," Kerr said during Denver's game Thursday at Cleveland, adding Miller plays like a running back. "He reminds me of an Emmitt Smith."

ETC.: Center Marcus Camby sat out a second consecutive game because of a right-hand fifth-finger sprain and guard Earl Boykins missed his third with a strained left hamstring. And guard Greg Buckner didn't play in the second half because of a groin strain. Athletic trainer Jim Gillen said all but Boykins could play Sunday. "I'm surprised it's still this sore," Boykins said. "I don't want to come back too soon." Camby said he is "getting better." Buckner said there's a "good chance" he'll play Sunday . . . Kenyon Martin played his second game in New Jersey since the Nets sent him to Denver in a July 2004 sign-and-trade. "That's the bed they've got to lie in," Martin said of the Nets being weak at power forward . . . Michael Coyne, agent for Nene, who suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in Denver's Nov. 1 opener and underwent surgery Nov. 21, said his client is off crutches and is "ahead of schedule" in rehabilitation. Coyne can't say yet whether Nene might return this season.

Slick Pinkham
12-17-2005, 08:29 AM
the trade board has your ideal deal