PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Union to go to bat for Artest (due to fine)

Bball
12-16-2005, 09:38 PM
Union Challenges N.B.A. Over Its Fining of Artest

By LIZ ROBBINS
Published: December 17, 2005

The National Basketball Players Association is preparing to file a grievance to protest the $10,000 fine that Ron Artest received Thursday from the N.B.A. over his public request for a trade from the Indiana Pacers.

Artest made his request during an interview published last weekend in The Indianapolis Star. The Pacers' chief executive, Donnie Walsh, said yesterday that he had received interest from many teams but that the Pacers were "not in a hurry to do a trade."

Union officials say they want to protect Artest's rights. During collective-bargaining talks last summer, the N.B.A. discussed with the union its stance against a player making trade demands to further a personal and premeditated agenda. The talks did not include specific punitive guidelines.

But the union argues that even if there were an understanding during bargaining, Artest's statements were spontaneous and did not warrant a fine.

"It certainly wasn't premeditated; he did not have an agenda," Ron Klempner, a lawyer for the union, said in a telephone interview yesterday. "The league is just piling it on right now. It's a bad precedent to set."

The union's plan to file a grievance is an example of its increasingly contentious relationship with the league over its authority. The union contends that the league has become more autocratic in its crackdown on behavior and has overemphasized image.

This week, the N.B.A. fined the Houston Rockets organization $100,000 for taking its players to Las Vegas for a day between games in Sacramento and Portland on a six-game Western Conference trip. The N.B.A. said it was a circumvention of salary-cap rules, because teams cannot provide benefits or compensation not covered by the players' salaries.

But Klempner said that the league had not followed policy before fining the team. To prove there was a circumvention of salary-cap rules, he said, the league first had to put the matter before an arbitrator.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/17/sports/basketball/17fines.html

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 09:47 PM
I think that fine is total B.S.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 09:54 PM
I think that fine is total B.S.

I think it was too light.

ABADays
12-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Couldn't care less.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:00 PM
Yes you do.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:03 PM
I think it was too light.

If it was a fine handed down by the Pacers, I would agree. This, however, is the NBA trying to find something that isn't there. Their rationale is this hurts the image of the league as a whole, and it doesn't. The only ones it hurts is us and Ron, not the collective NBA. They should have stayed out of this.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:26 PM
If it was a fine handed down by the Pacers, I would agree. This, however, is the NBA trying to find something that isn't there. Their rationale is this hurts the image of the league as a whole, and it doesn't. The only ones it hurts is us and Ron, not the collective NBA. They should have stayed out of this.

Your avatar freaks me out.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:39 PM
Your avatar freaks me out.

I made one for you, too:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/rublev-knight-wallace

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I made one for you, too:

:-o

That's sacrilegious!

hoopsforlife
12-17-2005, 07:19 AM
I made one for you, too:

That is funny as HECK. :) LOLAL

ABADays
12-17-2005, 08:15 AM
NBA Players Union "It wasn't calculated and the player didn't have an agenda." Excuse me!?! Double it! They could be right about it not being calculated, however. I don't think Artest is that smart.

indygeezer
12-17-2005, 08:28 AM
personally I think everybody ought to STFU for a while. NBAPA and MGMNT need to take it behind closed doors and keep these things out of the public eye and mind. It does neither side any good for the public to constantly hear about the squabbles. Let the public hear about rebounds and dunks, they hear enough about labor strife at their own 9-5's.

ChicagoJ
12-17-2005, 11:14 AM
That was always my beef with the Sprewell suspsenion - that was a private, team matter. It happened in practice, not a game and not in the public's eye. It was the result of an on-going personality conflict from which Spree had privately (and not so privately) been begging for a trade or a different coach.

GSW suspended Spree for 10 games and were going to work the phones and trade him. But then the league stepped in when they decided the Warrior's punishment was too light.

Its quite clear to me that the league wants to overstep its boundaries at times. This action really hurt the Warriors, look what they eventually got for Spree when - at the time of the incident - he was clearly either the #1 or #2 SG in the entire league.

Of course, I think the Pacers should've fined him $500k or something, and an extra $100k every time he's opened him mouth since then. But probably not the league.

denyfizle
12-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Well at least the NBA is consistent in terms of trying to be more strict and expecting their players to be in best professional behaviour.