PDA

View Full Version : Update from Vescey, Friday night

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Pacers would like to trade Artest and acquire Al Harrington. But the Hawks don't want Ron. So right now the Pacers are looking for a third team to enter the picture. Vescey said Al is who the Pacers really want and they will explore getting him, everything else is kinda on hold right now until they exhaust trying to get Al.

Vescey said this tonight on NBATV.

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 08:20 PM
THATS MY BOY DONNIE

Frank Slade
12-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Pacers would like to trade Artest and acquire Al Harrington. But the Hawks don't want Ron. So right now the Pacers are looking for a third team to enter the picture. Vescey said Al is who the Pacers really want and they will explore getting him, everything else is kinda on hold right now until they exhaust trying to get Al.

Vescey said this tonight on NBATV.

Wonder what LA could send to Atlanta ..??
A big man...?

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Either we're not getting the prospects we want, or Donnie is trying to make up for JO having to put up with Ron all this time.

I'm terrified Al would pull a Dale on us this summer. If we could get a Josh Childress along with him, that's fine. And if it was just losing an expiring contract, that'd be one thing. But I don't think we fans could handle another rejection from a beloved former Pacer.

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Wonder what LA could send to Atlanta ..??
A big man...?

Would Knight want Kwame?

Frank Slade
12-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Either we're not getting the prospects we want, or Donnie is trying to make up for JO having to put up with Ron all this time.

I'm terrified Al would pull a Dale on us this summer. If we could get a Josh Childress along with him, that's fine. And if it was just losing an expiring contract, that'd be one thing. But I don't think we fans could handle another rejection from a beloved former Pacer.

I hear ya Kegboy.. although being tight with JO may help for Al to stay...

as far as the Childress or additional person that would be great...
I heard Mark Stein say yesterday that actually Josh Smith is the one that Atl Mgmt and he are not getting along so well.. so he could possible be moved as well... not sure though what all it may take to pull that off.

Lord Helmet
12-16-2005, 08:36 PM
I'd like to get Al back, and I don't think Al would be stupid enough to leave again...but then what do I know?

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Pacers have also discussed a trade with the Wizards involving Caron Butler. Chucky would have to be involved.

This is according to Vsecey, but Vescey is still saying that they really want AL Harrington.

I missed part of what Vescey was saying about perhaps the Clippers being the 3rd team involved. But I missed who he said would go from the Clips to the Hawks. Sounded like it would be a backup big man from the Clips. The thinking is the Hawks will lose Al this summer anyway

scar
12-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Don't listen to Vescey. He's about as reliable as my sperm. :(

Bball
12-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Don't listen to Vescey. He's about as reliable as my sperm. :(

When Vecsey is talking about the Pacers you can put a little more stock in it than you might when he's talking about other teams.

-Bball

Bball
12-16-2005, 08:59 PM
So Atlanta WOULD trade Al... but they don't want Ron either...

Hmmmm.... :(

I'm not even sure -I- want Al back, but I don't like hearing teams are not wanting Ron. Not that it is surprising to me. You don't carry baggage like Ron's, no matter how good you are, and not give teams some pause.

One big problem I see is teams have to think "If the Pacers couldn't corral Artest how could WE do it?"

-Bball

Suaveness
12-16-2005, 09:04 PM
I don't really care for having Al back, and I didn't like him too much while he was here.

scar
12-16-2005, 09:05 PM
With the night Al is having, hells yeah I want him back.

13-19, 6-6 from 3, 35 points, 3 rebounds, and that's with 9 minutes to go in the 4th.

indypacerfan54
12-16-2005, 09:08 PM
Warning Rant!!!!

Man I really wanna keep Ron. It seems we wont get shi@ for him anyway. If he is repentant I still want to keep him...Watching his highlights every five minutes is not easy.

If we are going into a new direction lets atleast trade some players w/ value left. ie JO and Jax for a superstar...elton brand or garnett. Neither player is a leader and ron could be the first option especially at the end of games. garnett and brand cant get the ball out of their hands fast enogh with 5 mins left.

Stan Van Gundy would be a good coach for the personalities...

My big problem with this whole thing was JO said practically said the same thing. He was the one who suggested that the team may need changes...himself included. Granted Ron was way out of line w/ his comments, but content wise they were very similar to JOs.

I think SVG could make it work. The only problem I see with this is we send the wrong msg to our players and coaches.

Face it Ron is the best player on the team...maybe the best player weve ever had. We are going to trade him for someone of Al Harringtons caliber???

Ron is the most unique player in the league. Players like JO are alot more common.

End Rant

Suaveness
12-16-2005, 09:11 PM
We. Are. Not. Keeping. Ron.

blanket
12-16-2005, 09:37 PM
The Nuggets reportedly offered Earl Watson and Voshon Lenard for Artest. The Hawks need a PG. Would they do this 3-way trade for Harrington?

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 09:39 PM
Pacers have also discussed a trade with the Wizards involving Caron Butler. Chucky would have to be involved.

This is according to Vsecey, but Vescey is still saying that they really want AL Harrington.

I missed part of what Vescey was saying about perhaps the Clippers being the 3rd team involved. But I missed who he said would go from the Clips to the Hawks. Sounded like it would be a backup big man from the Clips. The thinking is the Hawks will lose Al this summer anyway

Chris Wilcox from the Clippers?

sweabs
12-16-2005, 09:43 PM
If we send Ron to Atlanta, does anyone else worry about a "Rasheed-like" deal from the Hawks again?

IE. Giving up Ron to a contender for chips after one game.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 09:44 PM
The Nuggets reportedly offered Earl Watson and Voshon Lenard for Artest. The Hawks need a PG. Would they do this 3-way trade for Harrington?

If you swap out Lenard for Nene it still works. Send those two to Atlanta, Al here, Ron to Denver. Works for us, probably works for Denver, does it work for Atlanta? I believe this trade would mean Atlanta has Nene's Bird rights, as well as Al's for us.

Another possiblity is Al to us, Ron to LA(Clips), and Wilcox and Rebraca to Atlanta. I think they both might do that.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I'm not even sure -I- want Al back

I'm with you. Once the ball touched Al's hands, that was it. Into the black hole it went. You and I would discuss this quite a bit, if I remember correctly. Has he changed? I'm not foolish enough to believe that. Didn't think so with Ron, don't think so with Al.

pizza guy
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Warning Rant!!!!

Man I really wanna keep Ron. It seems we wont get shi@ for him anyway. If he is repentant I still want to keep him...Watching his highlights every five minutes is not easy.

If we are going into a new direction lets atleast trade some players w/ value left. ie JO and Jax for a superstar...elton brand or garnett. Neither player is a leader and ron could be the first option especially at the end of games. garnett and brand cant get the ball out of their hands fast enogh with 5 mins left.

Stan Van Gundy would be a good coach for the personalities...

My big problem with this whole thing was JO said practically said the same thing. He was the one who suggested that the team may need changes...himself included. Granted Ron was way out of line w/ his comments, but content wise they were very similar to JOs.

I think SVG could make it work. The only problem I see with this is we send the wrong msg to our players and coaches.

Face it Ron is the best player on the team...maybe the best player weve ever had. We are going to trade him for someone of Al Harringtons caliber???

Ron is the most unique player in the league. Players like JO are alot more common.

End Rant

Best player or not, he's terrible for the TEAM. Yeah, the other 11 guys who put on Pacers' jerseys and try to win games for the PACERS. Ron has had too many chances, and he's burned us for the last time. He's gone.

sweabs
12-16-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm with you. Once the ball touched Al's hands, that was it. Into the black hole it went. You and I would discuss this quite a bit, if I remember correctly. Has he changed? I'm not foolish enough to believe that. Didn't think so with Ron, don't think so with Al.

Agreed. He's not the type of guy we need to blend in with Tinsley, Jackson, and JO. Oh God, that wouldn't be fun.

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 09:47 PM
Chris Wilcox from the Clippers?

I'm guessing that was who he said.

Vescey also said that Ron was hurt about the trade rumors involving him going to the Kings for Peja. Ron is the type of person who needs to know he is loved. But Ron acyed impulsively when he asked for a trade, but it was more than anything a response to the trade rumors. Vescey said the part about Ron not liking his role in the offense was just the reason Ron gave, but certainbly not the reason he asked for a trade

tadscout
12-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by Harmonica

Agreed. He's not the type of guy we need to blend in with Tinsley, Jackson, and JO. Oh God, that wouldn't be fun.

I agree with both of you.

CableKC
12-16-2005, 09:50 PM
^^^^actually.....this is a possiblity with any lower tier team like the Raptors or Hawks. The only way that it won't happen is if we deal him to a team like the Lakers or Nuggets...basically teams that can use him and would be reluctant to let him go.

SoupIsGood
12-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Bringing AL back makes a lot of sense and then it doesn't make much sense at the same time. I agree w/ those who say he wouldn't fit with our starters, at least partially. I'm kind of mixed right now, although at the very least he is a great talent to get back for Artest, and there's nothing better for chemistry than trading the league's worst cancer for Jermaine's good friend.

I guess I will just trust Donnie if he chooses to bring him back, and hopefully he'd fit in well.

Tim
12-16-2005, 09:54 PM

Do you really think that would happen? Donnie would know Al would stay because JO has already told him so, they talk everyday.

I just hope Donnie and Rick keep in mind how well Austin is playing, will Al coming back cut into Austin's minutes?

Tim
12-16-2005, 09:57 PM
I don't really care for having Al back, and I didn't like him too much while he was here.

And when he left the team was not the same, as you now see he had a lot of positives.

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 09:57 PM
Conrad Brunner said on the Pacers radio pregame show tonight, that today the trade talks had really cooled down, as it appears talks are now only with a few teams, but there is a lot less talk. Brunner said he thinks that means a deal is getting close.

able
12-16-2005, 10:02 PM
OK, just once: Bringing Al back means:

1. re-adding The Black Hole I to the team,
2. We already have TheBlacholeII on the team (Jax= TBH2)
3. Al wants his payday at the end of the season (FA) Pacers will not be able, nor would they want to, make Al an offer he would accept, forget being friends with JO, JO is not giving him part of his salary and DW is not going to give Al more then he gets now,
4. Al stated he is looking for a better deal then he has
5. Atl is desperate enough to give him just that
6. Al does not want to come of the bench
7. Al is not a SF
8. Did I mention he's a Black Hole (#I)

there ya have it :D

Pacersfan.
12-16-2005, 10:05 PM

3. Al wants his payday at the end of the season (FA) Pacers will not be able, nor would they want to, make Al an offer he would accept, forget being friends with JO, JO is not giving him part of his salary and DW is not going to give Al more then he gets now,
7. Al is not a SF

I'm thinking that we only need him here for one year while Danny develops. Danny will get enough minutes this year since he can play so many different positions. If we do this trade, we only have to have Al here for a year, and just plug in Danny next year.

tadscout

7. Al is not a SF

All hail Able!!!

:king:

Aw Heck

Pollard's contract expires after this season. If Bender isn't traded and retires, his contract doesn't count against the cap. How would the Pacers not have enough to offer Al?

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 10:06 PM
Yall need to stop all this nonsense, Al is a beast.

tadscout
12-16-2005, 10:07 PM
I'm thinking that we only need him here for one year while Danny develops. Danny will get enough minutes this year since he can play so many different positions. If we do this trade, we only have to have Al here for a year, and just plug in Danny next year.

So you want a 3/4 of a year rental for Ron? We can do much better than that...

Swingman
12-16-2005, 10:10 PM
because we're getting a draft pick in the trade too lol I can dream.

able
12-16-2005, 10:12 PM
So you want a 3/4 of a year rental for Ron? We can do much better than that...
that plus (AwHeck) Al is thinking near the 10 million starting, he makes 7 this year, he wants a multi year "payday", Atl probalby is willing to do something like that, I don't think he's worth that kind of money and personally think that starting him at 7 is already a reach.
I also happen to think that the consideration that Al would be a FA this year was a helpline for DW in allowing him that trade.
Finally Al does not want to come of the bench, he wants to be the "JO" of any organization he plays for, not Tonto.

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 10:17 PM
FYI, Al had 35 points tonight. And 0 assists. :blush:

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
He is playing PF. There are alot of nights JO doesnt get any assists.

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 10:20 PM
But then, Mike Dunleavy had 1 point and 1 assist. :puke:

able
12-16-2005, 10:23 PM
He is playing PF. There are alot of nights JO doesnt get any assists.
This year few and far between that he doesn't get more then 1

and yes, he plays PF, we have one, in fact we have a PF that is considered one of the 3 best in the league, why would we want another one who thinks he is that good?
Is one player with such feelings on a team no enough?

If you think jax is in love with his shot and himself, play close attention to how Al plays.

Roaming Gnome
12-16-2005, 10:24 PM
:nod:

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 10:26 PM
Continuing with my box score theme, anybody think Denver's doing the hard sell with Watson? Out of nowhere, he plays 38 minutes and gets 18, 7, and 4 steals. :innocent:

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:26 PM
We could do a LOT worse than Al Harrington for Ron Artest given the situation. And Al is if nothing else a great locker room presence, and the more of that we have right now, the better.

On the court, we know his strengths, we know his weaknesses, and I for one will take his strengths despite the weaknesses.

We can start these 5:

Tinsley/AJ
Sarunas/Fred
Jackson/Granger
Harrington/Croshere
O'Neal/Foster

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
If we could add Al and Earl Watson, I might be able to accept everything that has gone on in the past 7 days

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 10:29 PM
We can start these 5:

Tinsley/AJ
Sarunas/Fred
Jackson/Granger
Harrington/Croshere
O'Neal/Foster

Coming around on Cabbage at the 2, huh?

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
We can start these 5:

Tinsley/AJ
Sarunas/Fred
Jackson/Granger
Harrington/Croshere
O'Neal/Foster

That be a pretty tough line up.

BlueNGold
12-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Anyone see this?

Pacers president Donnie Walsh is "encouraged" by the quality of the offers he has received for Ron Artest, including what he said were at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players.

Sorry if this is old news.

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
I like the lineup ALOT Hicks

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:33 PM
If we could add Al and Earl Watson, I might be able to accept everything that has gone on in the past 7 days

:console:

Still need talking down from the ledge, I see.

Lord Helmet
12-16-2005, 10:40 PM
I just thought of something guys, what number will Al be if we get him????

Oh the suspense!

:laugh:

But, being serious, I'd welcome him back.

BillS
12-16-2005, 10:40 PM
And how many of you guys have watched Al since he went to Atlanta?

This is an Al who has been through Purgatory (you know - the Catholics ditched it so they moved it to Philips Arena). This is an Al who has seen the Dark Side. This is an Al who has been known to pass the ball and actually try to help an offense full of young guys understand what winning could be like - though the rest of the organization isn't up to snuff.

I think everyone is underestimating what the chance to be part of a winning organization does to someone who has seen both sides.

I think Al would fetch Gatorade if it got him out of Atlanta.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Coming around on Cabbage at the 2, huh?

No, I've just accepted that that's what Rick would rather do.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:44 PM

Oh the suspense!

I did this trade on NBA Live a few days ago for the fun of it, and it gave him #5. He looked pretty good (especially in one of our slick new road jersies) and I had a hell of a fun time playing with a front court of Granger, Harrington, and O'Neal.

BlueNGold
12-16-2005, 10:45 PM
I'll try this again. Anyone see this quote?

Pacers president Donnie Walsh is "encouraged" by the quality of the offers he has received for Ron Artest, including what he said were at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players.

I also saw they have 12-15 offers...and 20 teams have contacted them. Sorry if this is old news. I have been out...

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:46 PM

This is an Al who has been through Purgatory (you know - the Catholics ditched it so they moved it to Philips Arena). This is an Al who has seen the Dark Side. This is an Al who has been known to pass the ball and actually try to help an offense full of young guys understand what winning could be like - though the rest of the organization isn't up to snuff.

I think everyone is underestimating what the chance to be part of a winning organization does to someone who has seen both sides.

I think Al would fetch Gatorade if it got him out of Atlanta.

I agree with you; I think Al would fit in well here both on and off the court. He'll have his "black hole" moments, but I would not call him a selfish player like I'm growing very close to calling Jackson.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 10:46 PM
I'll try this again. Anyone see this quote?

I also saw they have 12-15 offers...and 20 teams have contacted them. Sorry if this is old news. I have been out...

Yes we have. We have a thread about it.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17039

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 10:59 PM
Rick needs to be playing Sarunas at PG. Enough already.

pacerwaala
12-16-2005, 11:04 PM
I am with the Al Haters. Al is a slow tweaner, small to be a power forward, too slow to be a SF. I am not sure what he exactly brings other than being a blackhole. He thinks too much of himself and that is any man's greatest sin - Vanity. Any GM would be foolish to give him a deal averaging more than 4 to 5 million a year. I personally would not even give that much beacause I just do not think Al has a good basketball IQ. He is just consumed by himself, atleast by the way he plays.

For those who say he scored 30 points tonight, I say he had a 3 rebounds while starting at power forward. He takes 14 minutes to launch a jumper.

Did I say he is slow? Please Donnie, not Al.

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2005, 11:09 PM

Where's Arkman when you need him? :buddies:

DisplacedKnick
12-16-2005, 11:11 PM
For those who say he scored 30 points tonight, I say he had a 3 rebounds while starting at power forward. He takes 14 minutes to launch a jumper.

And we take 15 to rotate out to cover.

I know that's not what this thread is about but jeez ...

blanket
12-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Everyone's focusing on the Harrington part of Vescey's quote.

I'm more interested in the Caron Butler part.

That's fine if Al is our top choice, but if Caron is our fallback, that ain't bad! I'm just curious what including Chucky Atkins is all about. Does that mean we'd be sending them Ron and AJ for Caron and Atkins?

sixthman
12-16-2005, 11:20 PM

I posted a Clips/Hawks Artest trade on the PD trade board earlier today. No way we hit the jackpot like in my scenario is there?

The guy on the Clips of real interest to the Hawks is Chris Wilcox. I had the Clips giving us Cuttino Mobley and Wilcox for Ron and us sending Wilcox and Pollard to the Hawks (Pollard so the Hawks could have an expiring contract) along with our first round pick to the Hawks for Al.

Think about it from the Clips standpoint: They wind up with Maggette in his natural "2" position and Artest at the swing positions. Top notch lineup.

I put the pick in reluctantly because I thought it was the incentive for Billy Knight to do a Harrington trade now rather than wait for the February trading deadline.

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2005, 11:23 PM
We could do a LOT worse than Al Harrington for Ron Artest given the situation. And Al is if nothing else a great locker room presence, and the more of that we have right now, the better.

On the court, we know his strengths, we know his weaknesses, and I for one will take his strengths despite the weaknesses.

We can start these 5:

Tinsley/AJ
Sarunas/Fred
Jackson/Granger
Harrington/Croshere
O'Neal/Foster

That lineup would be a train wreck waiting to happen.

You'd have Harrington wanting to option 1b & Jackson wanting to be option 2. Didn't we just witness what happens when too many players think they are "da man"?

If we could move Jackson I could see us having an interest in Harrington but with both of them here at the same time it would be a nightmare.

There are about 100 people on here that know more about the game than I ever will & I can see that like the big black E on the eye chart.

pacerwaala
12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
And we take 15 to rotate out to cover.

I know that's not what this thread is about but jeez ...

LOL

Larry Brown said "I am proud of my team. They did not stop fighting"

Frank Slade
12-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole
Al's a black hole

:unimpress

There if anyone else has anything original to say I am all ears...

Seriously, you don't think a young guy Like Al can change for the better..
You don't think he is chomping at the bit to get back on a winning team, and contribute in any way he can. He and JO best friends, that can only help the team Chemistry...

I know maybe some of your points are valid.. I am not saying he is the perfect fit.. but who is...?

If I can cheer for Jax ( and I use that word loosely) ..who is a black hole to end all black holes

I certainly can give Harrington another chance....
It would really help if we could deal Jax in conjunction as well....

Anthem
12-16-2005, 11:30 PM
But Ron acyed impulsively when he asked for a trade, but it was more than anything a response to the trade rumors. Vescey said the part about Ron not liking his role in the offense was just the reason Ron gave, but certainbly not the reason he asked for a trade

I believe it. But it no longer matters.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-17-2005, 02:50 AM
The thing that makes sense with Al is that he's a known quantity, and that's something that is worth a lot right now. This won't be the young Al that wanted to be JO on his own team. He knows that Indiana is the promised land, and he would likely raise the spirits of 'most' of the team. (but probably not Cro or Jax). It would be good for JO and our lockerroom would be better off. I like Al as a person, but I'm no Bball expert, so it may not be the best plan after all. I'll defer to the team's management to make that decision. But we could do a lot worse than Al.

Naptown Seth
12-17-2005, 08:27 AM
Well, we're no longer even remotely a contender. It was nice while it lasted I suppose. Maybe Al will take his game to the next level (All-Star), and/or Danny Granger or David Harrison become legit in a hurry, because thats our only hope. Honestly, if the Clippers end up with Ron for very little, they may be the new team to beat in the NBA. Sam Cassell - Corey Maggette - Ron Artest - Elton Brand - Chris Kaman with Cuttino Mobley as a 6th man? Wow. That owns the Spurs and the Pistons.

Will Galen
12-17-2005, 09:13 AM

7. Al is not a SF

1] I agree Al was a black Hole. The most assists he ever averaged in his 6 years with the Pacers is 1.7. He's getting doubled in Atlanta and has been learning to pass. He's averaging 3.2 assists with Atlanta.

2]We need to trade Jax.

3]I don't think Al would go anywhere, I think he would except an extension.

Mourning
12-17-2005, 11:34 AM
I like the lineup ALOT Hicks

Sorry, but I don't. IF we face team with a big SF and SG we have a problem. SJax could go to starting at SG and Danny at SF, but he's still a rookie and will on most nights get treated accordingly by the refs. Sure Al could back up a little at SF in this scenario, but I just don't like it.

I like Al, but I don't think his game makes a good fit for the team now and I don't like it that his contract is an expiring one, which means he might very well walk in the summer, I don't want that risk. I want a player who AT THE VERY LEAST plays until the playoffs of 2007 and his contract expires.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Sollozzo
12-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Oh the suspense!

Maybe 25.

He wore 25 when he first came here

Naptown Seth
12-17-2005, 12:12 PM
Maybe 25.

He wore 25 when he first came here
Maybe, but I believe he wore #25 because when you're drafted your jersey is assigned the number at which you were drafted, and Al just decided to keep #25, If he is traded here, I'd like to see his jersey stay single digit. Single digit numbers just feel and look better IMO. Maybe he'll wear #6 to signify that he's twice the player he was last time he was here. :)

Jaydawg2270
12-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Doesnt Donnie Wanna Trade ron before the 3 games are up?

SoupIsGood
12-17-2005, 03:21 PM
Rick needs to be playing Sarunas at PG. Enough already.

Agreed. I hope it's just a need based thing right now though. Once we get back someone for Ron, he better be at PG.