PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Walsh has received at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players

unstandable
12-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Pacers encouraged by 12-15 offers for Artest

By Chris Sheridan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2262997

Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh is "encouraged" by the quality of the offers he has received for Ron Artest, including what he said were at least two proposals involving All-Star caliber players.

Without being specific about any of the 12-15 offers he said he had received, Walsh told ESPN.com he had heard from 20 teams, some of which merely called to ask what Walsh was looking for. Walsh said he was planning to get back to three of those teams to make specific requests.

"I've talked to a lot of teams, discussed myriad types of offers. Some are player for player, some involve first-round draft picks, some involve savings, some involve a combination of those things," Walsh said. "I'm encouraged by some of the things we were offered."

He would not set a timetable for trading Artest, though he did concede: "I'd like to get it behind us, but I don't feel any [time] pressure to do it. I'd like to winnow it down to two or three deals I'd like to do."

Artest has been placed on the inactive list and told to stay away from the team while Walsh fields trade offers. Artest's agent said he expects a trade to be completed by the end of the week. Pacers president of basketball operations Larry Bird is in Spain on a scouting trip and has been receiving daily updates from Walsh over the telephone. Bird has made no plans to shorten his trip, Walsh said.

In the five days since Artest asked for a trade, saying he felt restricted in Rick Carlisle's offense, the rest of the Pacers have distanced themselves from him. Jermaine O'Neal said he'd like to see the Pacers acquire Bonzi Wells or Al Harrington for Artest.

Many league executives say Artest might only be a good fit for a coach with a proven track record of working well with players needing extra guidance. Three that fit that mold include Phil Jackson of the Lakers, Pat Riley of Miami and Larry Brown of the Knicks.

The Lakers were said by several sources to be one of the teams most interested in Artest, though not to the point where they'd consider trading Lamar Odom. The Heat could trade Antoine Walker, whose salary is almost an exact match for Artest's, while Knicks president Isiah Thomas' refusal to discuss Channing Frye has taken New York out of the running.

"I'm assuming I can't get a guy as good as [Artest]," Walsh said, adding that he had no preference for trading Artest to a Western Conference team rather than one from the East. "We're just going through the process to get to a point where we can choose something we like."

tadscout
12-16-2005, 07:00 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2262997

Little new news...

scar
12-16-2005, 07:01 PM
Already posted I think.

scar
12-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Sure is encouraging to hear.

tadscout
12-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Yeah like 1 min. before me... I guess we were posting at the same time...

Jermaniac
Very good, very good.

Hicks
By "the end of the week", he means next week I assume?

indytoad
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Of course this could all just be posturing in order to get a better deal...

IndyToad
Dusty

Hicks
12-16-2005, 07:05 PM
By the way, Walker was an all-star once or twice, and that makes me uneasy about what's being said. I could care less that Ron goes to Miami, but getting Walker back would be ugly.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 07:06 PM
When did Chris Sheridan leave the AP and go to work for ESPN?

Mickey Mouse must be feeling the pain of letting David Aldridge get away, so they finally got somebody reputable.

unstandable
12-16-2005, 07:11 PM
When Chad Ford got a job as a professor and reduced his role as Insider they hired Sheridan to replace him.

PacerMan
12-16-2005, 07:14 PM
We trade him for Fatoine and I'll shoot donnie personally.

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 07:23 PM
By the way, Walker was an all-star once or twice, and that makes me uneasy about what's being said. I could care less that Ron goes to Miami, but getting Walker back would be ugly.
You say you don't care that Ron goes to Miami, but getting Walker back owuld be ugly - so tell me, what else would Miami have to give? Obviously Shaq and Wade are off limit, and everything else on Miami sucks the big one.

Nothing worthwhile to offer + one of our biggest rivals = aint gonna happen

Frank Slade
12-16-2005, 07:29 PM
I don't know who all heard Conrad on 1070 before the game
Commenting on how very quiet the front office was today.. which usually means they are in very serious discussions and could be close to a deal...

aceace
12-16-2005, 07:34 PM
I cannot see DW trading for Walker. He can do much better. Why pump up Miami your big rival and possibly an Eastern Conf. Final matchup.

Fool
12-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Mourning's been an all-star.

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Commenting on who very quiet the front office was today.. which usually means they are in very serious discussions and could be close to a deal...
I think a deal will almost certainly be done before the weekends over. Donnie's almost had a week now to field offers and negotiate, that should be enough time to get something done. And the team is struggling, and needs to bring in the new talent soon so they can hopefully help right this season a.s.a.p.

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 07:38 PM
Mourning's been an all-star.
Alonzo Mourning? Wow, I'm overwhelmed with excitement on that thought. Maybe we can also bring Sean Elliott out of retirement. Between them they'll have a full set of kidneys.

blanket
12-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Alonzo Mourning? Wow, I'm overwhelmed with excitement on that thought. Maybe we can also bring Sean Elliott out of retirement. Between them they'll have a full set of kidneys.

:lol:

SoupIsGood
12-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Nice. I'm glad it said all-star caliber player, instead of just all-star. All-star caliber makes me think he's that good right now.

Fool
12-16-2005, 09:12 PM
Indeed.

Nevermind the fact that Mourning would fill a void in the Pacers' roster.

Evan_The_Dude
12-16-2005, 09:15 PM
Nice. I'm glad it said all-star caliber player, instead of just all-star. All-star caliber makes me think he's that good right now.

For a second I thought I was the only one that saw All-Star "Caliber".

Hicks
12-16-2005, 09:18 PM
You say you don't care that Ron goes to Miami, but getting Walker back owuld be ugly - so tell me, what else would Miami have to give? Obviously Shaq and Wade are off limit, and everything else on Miami sucks the big one.

Nothing worthwhile to offer + one of our biggest rivals = aint gonna happen

Um, I never said it was happening, nor that I want it to.

Bat Boy
12-16-2005, 09:25 PM
Indeed.

Isn't Zo leading the league in blocks?

Gamble
12-16-2005, 11:44 PM
Indeed.

It won't be scoring though and that to me is more important at the
moment than a oldy but goody center. Plus Jeff is back and we
should see improvement at that position defensively.

indygeezer
12-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Commenting on how very quiet the front office was today.. which usually means they are in very serious discussions and could be close to a deal...

Just asking nothing personal....Did Bruno say this or is it your interpretation?

I'm guessing they will announce the trade in time for the Sunday paper. Game Saturday night and then not another until Weds. IIRC. That gives plenty of time for team physicals and a practice or two before playing a game.

tadscout
12-17-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm guessing they will announce the trade in time for the Sunday paper. Game Saturday night and then not another until Weds. IIRC. That gives plenty of time for team physicals and a practice or two before playing a game.

That would have to be my guess too...

Frank Slade
12-17-2005, 12:03 AM
Just asking nothing personal....Did Bruno say this or is it your interpretation?

No your right I should have elaborated.. that's pretty much word for word from Conrad himself... he said it had quieted down a lot today compared to the past few days... and he also indicated as in the past this usually means they have narrowed it down and are in serious discussions....

indygeezer
12-17-2005, 12:12 AM
No your right I should have elaborated.. that's pretty much word for word from Conrad himself... he said it had quieted down a lot today compared to the past few days... and he also indicated as in the past this usually means they have narrowed it down and are in serious discussions....

Ahhhh the plot thickens.

Hicks
12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
I'd love this to be over by Sunday, but that just feels too soon to me (for some reason).

tadscout
12-17-2005, 12:15 AM
PLEEEAASSE Announce the trade after tomorrow's game! PLEEEAASSE!!!:pray:

Kegboy
12-17-2005, 12:18 AM
I really don't know if I can handle this going into next week. The Magic thing really pushed me over the edge.

tadscout
12-17-2005, 12:20 AM
I really don't know if I can handle this going into next week. The Magic thing really pushed me over the edge.

Same here...

Hicks
12-17-2005, 12:24 AM
I just made it through Finals week with this crap...

Jermaniac
12-17-2005, 12:47 AM
I agree, every damn 10 minutes in school I pull my sidekick out and get on PD and RealGm to see if Ron was traded.

sweabs
12-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Ugh...stop talking about finals. I still have one more to go, and I just know the Artest talk will heat up enough to distract me that much more.

TheHotShot31
12-17-2005, 03:01 AM
I can't believe some of you guys actually think Donnie might trade Artest to the Heat, theres no way in hell that would happen, unless of course we get Wade or Shaq. :)