PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with Bender now???

Outsider
12-16-2005, 04:16 PM
I thought sometime within the last week or two that Bender was to announce his retirement due to injuries. With all the Artest issues this seems to have been put on hold. Do you think the Pacers just want to deal with one issue at a time (Artest now, Bender after the first of the year), or are they going to be packaged together to go somewhere?

I know that having Benders contract gone (through the injury provision in the CBA) would be good, but why the wait?

Outsider

Bball
12-16-2005, 04:22 PM
What does it matter? He's no longer a distraction for the Pacers. He's off the bench and no longer in the future plans. Anything else is just salary issues, and while it's fun to talk about, rarely does it mean much to us (fans) if the Pacers save some money somewhere. History says cap room and trade exes die on the vine. TPTB put them in their back pocket for a very rainy day (it could be raining right now with the Artest situation looming).

The lack of noise about Bender could mean there's a way to pkg him in a trade and if so, great... if not... well it's still great IMHO because we have moved on from an obvious situation filled with bad luck and wishful thinking.

-Bball

Peck
12-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Have I laid low enough over the Artest issue to make a comment about what I think about Bender yet?

Ragnar
12-16-2005, 05:01 PM
Have I laid low enough over the Artest issue to make a comment about what I think about Bender yet?

Yes!!

Wasnt Bender suposed to announce his retirement within 48 hours. That was reported about a week ago.

themachotaco
12-16-2005, 05:20 PM
If you think about it, the news a week or two ago about Bender couldn't have come at a worse time for us. If everything with him was hunky dory with him just being on the IL with another knee injury, there would be a chance (albeit slight... very slight) that he would actually be marketable in a trade. Roll the dice on Artest, and on the side, a proposition bet on Bender getting it together. At that point it would have been better than potentially having to include Croshere (who is a vital, contributing member of the team right now) or Pollard (whose salary relief is needed just as much by as) just for contract matching purposes.

And on the other side of things, if the news had come 3 to 4 weeks ago and he finally would have handled his retirement and we were in the midst of getting insurance and cap relief he would have had value as a "dead contract" that could have matched up on a deal and given the new team some monetary relief for taking on the risk of Artest.

As it stands, Bender is in limbo... there really is not a big enough chance of him ever playing again for a team to take a chance, and on the other hand his retirement/insurance/cap relief situation is still up in the air, so they would be taking a chance that this would all go through.

He's dead weight and there's nothing we can do about it.

(Fortunately for us Pacer fans at least we don't have to listen to our peers make up trade proposals including him and trying to convince us that team X would love to have his potential.)

Peck
12-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Again this is just my theory but the more time this has taken the more I am convinced that this entire retirement ordeal is being forced upon Jon by the Pacers.

In other words what I wrote back when I said you could read Montieths article more than one way, I believe now more than ever.

My opinion is that the Pacers took it to Jon & his agent & said we can't find anything new, there is no reason as to why you are not able to play but since you say you can't play with the pain you have then we see no reason it will ever improve.

So the Pacers began the process of medically retiring Jon Bender.

Now before some of you blow a gasket remember a couple of key points here.

1. I am not saying Jon has no injury.

2. I believe that Jon has accepted this.

Then the Ron Artest thing blew up. Thus the Bender thing was put on the backburner by the Pacers because they are exploring thier options with using Bender involved in any trade.

Remember, right now Jon is just a player in the NBA so he can be traded just like anybody else. Now if another team wants to take on the risk of trying to retire him that's thier problem.

I'm not sure Walsh will be able to do this but I'm sure he is exploring this option.

If this were all just Jon, then he would have already made the announcement & he would not have been impacted (thanks Jay) by the entire ordeal.

That's just my opinion on the issue.

Will Galen
12-16-2005, 06:18 PM
Peck could be right and Bender is just on the back burner, but it looks to me like all it would take to retire Bender is to announce it.

They are probably holding his retirement up mainly in case they have a deal where they have to match a big contract.

It would be stupid to retire Bender and two days later find out they could have used his contract in a deal.

Peck
12-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Peck could be right and Bender is just on the back burner, but it looks to me like all it would take to retire Bender is to announce it.

They are probably holding his retirement up mainly in case they have a deal where they have to match a big contract.

It would be stupid to retire Bender and two days later find out they could have used his contract in a deal.

I guess I must not have written that as well as I wanted to. But what you are saying is pretty much what I was trying to say.

beast23
12-16-2005, 06:23 PM
Unless they would get immediate cap relief once his retirement is announced, they could use his contract anyway. Just like Danny Ferry's a couple of years ago.

Pacesetter
12-16-2005, 06:31 PM
Whatever the reason for the delay, I'm sure there's a very good reason for it. JB has suffered alot. If he has to retire, he won't be alone in his lamentations! :(

Will Galen
12-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Unless they would get immediate cap relief once his retirement is announced, they could use his contract anyway. Just like Danny Ferry's a couple of years ago.

I think Ferry retired after the trade.

Unclebuck
12-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Yes I agree the Pacers are forcing or maybe suggesting that Bender should retire. That is what I inferred from DW comments this week on JMV

Bball
12-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Yes I agree the Pacers are forcing or maybe suggesting that Bender should retire. That is what I inferred from DW comments this week on JMV

And I hope nobody... fans, Bender, his agent, etc. ever accuse the Pacers of not giving him a fair chance or pushing too hard.

No other team would've let it go on this long.

-Bball