PDA

View Full Version : Brunner}Should Pacers Move Slowly With Deal?

Will Galen
12-16-2005, 01:30 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question.html

Should Pacers Move Slowly With Deal?

Friday, Dec. 16, 2005
QUESTION OF THE DAY
Conrad Brunner

Q. The trade deadline is a long way off. Why rush? Why rush to put (Ron) Artest on another team? I know for the team's sake we'd like to know who is going to be added to the roster, but we have guys who can play and can fit well into the starting lineup. It just seems that maybe we're in a better position than at first it seems. With Artest inactive, a team already moving on and a far-off trade deadline, time is on our side. So, unless an A-1 trade pops up right away, we can wait for the right offer, no? (From Jeff in Indianapolis)

A. Though you make a compelling argument, I believe you can make just as strong a case, if not stronger, for wanting to resolve this situation as quickly as is prudently possible. The franchise certainly doesn't want to rush into a deal just to get something done. But the longer this lingers, so does the distraction of constant speculation, not to mention uncertainty about the shape of the roster and the makeup of the team.

Consummating a deal in the short term also brings the infusion of fresh blood while putting the roster back at full strength. Whenever a deal is made it takes the new player or players a while to become acclimated to their new environment, to learn their teammates and become comfortable with a new coach and system. Another advantage of making a move now is it would give management nearly two full months to evaluate the tweaked roster in advance of the February deadline, just in case another move is necessary.

From Donnie Walsh to Rick Carlisle to Jermaine O'Neal, the Pacers have adopted a "let's move on" stance, the idea being to put the Artest era in the past, return the team to full strength and resume the championship quest. Given that, the only reason to wait is if no reasonable deal materializes in the short term.
-------------

Good answer!

indygeezer
12-16-2005, 01:37 PM
Strike now before Ron opens his mouth again and does more damage (and tell JO to SU too).

By dragging this out too long you also run the risk of someone being injured and finding yourself seriously shorthanded.

CableKC
12-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Brunner took the words out of my mouth. Move on so that we can salvage what's left of this season.

Pacesetter
12-16-2005, 06:44 PM
Move quick or move slow, doesn't matter, as long as a deal comes that benefits the Pacers as much or more than it benefits the trade partner. Yes, we could benefit by having a deal done in the short term, but setting any sort of timetables automatically places the Pacers on the bad side of a deal, imo. Having patience is the only way to go, regardless of that though, a deal that is fantastic for the Pacers could actually come sooner rather than later, but stating publicly that it would help the Pacers puts them in a position of weakness, imo. The damage of Artest has been done, and there's nothing but cleanup left to do. Let a deal come about like a deal comes about.

Bruno shocked me, because I normally agree with everything he writes. ;)

indygeezer
12-16-2005, 07:39 PM
This AM I was also going to say Git-r-done B4 Ron chnages his mind.....

my bad.