PDA

View Full Version : I'm Rehashing a Question

Bball
12-16-2005, 03:29 AM
I asked this before when it was a hypothetical. Now it is real.

Does DW lay the cards on the table about Artest and any trials and tribulations he has brought here (especially if asked by the other team) or does he keep mum and "let the buyer beware"?

It's easy to say he keeps his mouth shut or even lies and spins the entire Artest period here, but would he really do that or would he consider that type of thing beneath him? Sure, he could go into 'used car salesman' mode but then couldn't that come back to bite him/Pacers someday? ...Or is he close enough to retirement he doesn't have to consider any 'NBA Karma' or 'memory like an elephant' and will do whatever it takes to get rid of Artest and get us as close to a viable return as possible (regardless of what he has to do to accomplish it)?

-Bball

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2005, 03:39 AM
I think when asked, Walsh would have to be as upfront as possible. I would think there are medical records & such that the Pacers are required to be kept on all players. My guess is that those might need to be made available to other teams.

Besides, being a GM is a pretty small club. I think most everyone on the "inside" knows of all Artest's warts by now.

indygeezer
12-16-2005, 07:24 AM
I think when asked, Walsh would have to be as upfront as possible. I would think there are medical records & such that the Pacers are required to be kept on all players. My guess is that those might need to be made available to other teams.

Besides, being a GM is a pretty small club. I think most everyone on the "inside" knows of all Artest's warts by now.

Medical records can't be shared without Ron's consent.

I doubt if too many would believe a word DW said in a case like this. He's a negotiator and I sure as hell wouldn't wanna play Poker with the guy.

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 09:56 AM
I think he'll be honest.

My mind has turned a bit in the last couple days. I'm starting to think Artest's trade demand may have been a good thing. Unless Donnie was actively shopping him before hand, it gives Donnie the opportunity to look sad, that he's been forced into losing such a great player. I think Donnie is so respected in this league, if he details everything we've put up with with Ron, that not only shows how great a player Donnie thinks he is, but also that he's worth putting up with all the crap. Then some idiot may be more willing to throw the dice, saying, "Well, he couldn't be that bad here."

I'm reaching, aren't I?

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Jerry Krause did enough damage to Ron's reputation among GMs a few years ago.

The hope is not - "maybe somebody doesn't know just how much of a problem he really is".

The hope is that some GM believes "I / my team can handle him."

Hicks
12-16-2005, 11:28 AM
I think he'll be honest.

My mind has turned a bit in the last couple days. I'm starting to think Artest's trade demand may have been a good thing. Unless Donnie was actively shopping him before hand, it gives Donnie the opportunity to look sad, that he's been forced into losing such a great player. I think Donnie is so respected in this league, if he details everything we've put up with with Ron, that not only shows how great a player Donnie thinks he is, but also that he's worth putting up with all the crap. Then some idiot may be more willing to throw the dice, saying, "Well, he couldn't be that bad here."

I'm reaching, aren't I?

Not to me. The exact same thought crossed my mind last night. GMs know all the baggage, and yet Walsh (apparently honestly going by what he's said to the media) STILL tried to keep him until Ron forced the issue. Given how people think of Walsh, that says something, and should help us in finding a good deal. Donnie can (perhaps honestly) say that he didn't WANT to trade Ron.

Roy Munson
12-16-2005, 03:56 PM
It's naive to think that all the other teams don't know A LOT more about Artest than the general public knows.

Each team has scouting departments that really serve as little "intelligence agencies". It's their job to know everything there is to know about every person and every team in the league. I'm sure word spreads pretty freely. Agents talk. Players talk. Front office people talk. Media talks.

I would be very surprised if there are secrets about Artest that other teams don't already know about.