PDA

View Full Version : Gauging the board's opinion...

Anthem
12-16-2005, 01:51 AM
I've been gone for this whole week, but it hasn't been the Artest situation. It's been finals. I still shouldn't be here, but I'm curious. Also, I owe several people (Peck, BBall, Jay) a "mea culpa" thread. You'll get it, but you'll have to wait.

A quick survey of the semi-legit rumers seems to show two big names so far: Vince Carter and Rashard Lewis. There's also Battier, Bynum, Pietrus/Diogu, and Peja.

So? Who would you choose? I'd personally take Lewis over Carter, myself.

EDIT: I meant to make this public. Can any of the mods help out?

PaceBalls
12-16-2005, 01:56 AM
bring back AL, if we can get him to want to come back next year.

Anthem
12-16-2005, 02:00 AM
bring back AL, if we can get him to want to come back next year.
Fair enough. Mods, can that be added to the poll as well?

I'm surprised that anyone would take Al over Lewis, though. Al's game and Jermaine's game aren't very complimentary... I thought we'd established that.

PaceBalls
12-16-2005, 02:03 AM

I'm surprised that anyone would take Al over Lewis, though. Al's game and Jermaine's game aren't very complimentary... I thought we'd established that.

I can see how you get too many players shooting fade away jumpers... but that is only 1 side of the court. On the defensive end AL and JO compliment eachother beautifully.

sweabs
12-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I went for the Pietrus / Diogu trade.

I'm a fan of Pietrus by himself...but if you throw Diogu into the mix I'm sold.

I think he has some serious upside.

I also think this trade would make a lot of sense for both teams, but we'll see.

Hoop
12-16-2005, 02:08 AM
1. Rashard Lewis
2. Odom (not ready to give up on Odom idea)
3. VC
4. Peja

PacerMan
12-16-2005, 02:10 AM

Established in YOUR mind maybe. Al's role on the second team was to play Jermaine's role! I don't know what team you were watching 2 years ago when we were kicking everyones butt, but the team I was watching had Jermaine AND Al finishing games every night. Ron playing 2. We destroyed teams. LATER, Al became the 2nd teams low post option and some of you seemed to only see that. Why?
Jermaine and AL were DEADLY together. AL's toughness and the fact that they were so "tight" helped make up for Jermaines softness. He always knew that Al had his back, and that made him much more effective. Take Al over Lewis any day.

Anthem
12-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Established in YOUR mind maybe. Al's role on the second team was to play Jermaine's role! I don't know what team you were watching 2 years ago when we were kicking everyones butt, but the team I was watching had Jermaine AND Al finishing games every night. Ron playing 2. We destroyed teams. LATER, Al became the 2nd teams low post option and some of you seemed to only see that. Why?
Right, and in your mind Al could do no wrong. I remember.

There was a reason Al was on the second team... he didn't fit well with JO in the starting lineup.

Regardless, surely we can do better than Al right now?

Hoop
12-16-2005, 02:23 AM
Jermaine and AL were DEADLY together. AL's toughness and the fact that they were so "tight" helped make up for Jermaines softness. He always knew that Al had his back, and that made him much more effective. Take Al over Lewis any day.Doesn't anyone remember Al "the black hole" on offense. Also Al's a tweaner, PF game with SF body. I just hope we can do better. Also how are we going to pay him?

Ultimate Frisbee
12-16-2005, 02:34 AM
I don't get it... Pietrus and Diogu would be the ultimate offer IMO...

Two young (but not that young) studs for the price of one...

Anthem
12-16-2005, 02:44 AM
I want to know who said Peja.

Peck
12-16-2005, 02:47 AM
Doesn't anyone remember Al "the black hole" on offense. Also Al's a tweaner, PF game with SF body. I just hope we can do better. Also how are we going to pay him?

6'9" tall with 245lbs

That's plenty of size for a power forward.

We have been very successfull up until now with Austin Croshere at 6'10" & 235lbs.

Al is solidly built & is not easy to back down.

I could have some concerns with Al back on the team but his size isn't one of them.

Mourning
12-16-2005, 02:51 AM
I went for the Pietrus / Diogu trade.

I'm a fan of Pietrus by himself...but if you throw Diogu into the mix I'm sold.

I think he has some serious upside.

I also think this trade would make a lot of sense for both teams, but we'll see.

That's the deal I chose aswell.

Anthem
12-16-2005, 03:04 AM
6'9" tall with 245lbs

We have been very successfull up until now with Austin Croshere at 6'10" & 235lbs.

Austin's successful because of his shooting... something Al doesn't have.

And does my memory decieve me, or were you chief of the "Just say no to Jermaine at center and Al at PF" brigade?

Hoop
12-16-2005, 03:12 AM
6'9" tall with 245lbs

Al is solidly built & is not easy to back down.

I could have some concerns with Al back on the team but his size isn't one of them.
Fair enough, the official size stats do say PF. When I see him on the court he looks alot smaller, he always has looked more like a 6-7 tweener to me.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v94/Hooping/Pacers03-04.jpg

CableKC
12-16-2005, 03:34 AM
I went for Pietrus/Diogu.....but don't think that we will get any of the players listed.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 03:45 AM
Ron looks nuts in that team picture.

Jose Slaughter
12-16-2005, 04:07 AM
I went with the Pietrus & Diogu deal.

The one thing you guys that are wanting Harrington back need to consider is, how he fits in with Jackson.

Jackson wants to be the 2nd option. How long would Harrington be happy as the 3rd guy in the pecking order?

Just seems to me that that could be a big can-o-worms that I would rather not go thru, again.

From what little I've seen of Pietrus, I don't see his style of play as being a challenge to Jackson's desire to be the 2nd option. That alone is worth alot, at least until we can find an idiot to take Jackson off our hands.

Peck
12-16-2005, 04:07 AM
Austin's successful because of his shooting... something Al doesn't have.

And does my memory decieve me, or were you chief of the "Just say no to Jermaine at center and Al at PF" brigade?

Ah yes I remember those care free days. The days before I witnessed a full season of Jermaine at powerforward & Jeff at Center.

So, no you memory does not fail you. I was opposed to it, but like the seasons, my mind has changed. I could live with it if it's what we had to do.

Anthem
12-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Ah yes I remember those care free days. The days before I witnessed a full season of Jermaine at powerforward & Jeff at Center.
Just so I'm clear... that is the season where we won 61 games, right? And had a deep postseason run, only to fall to the eventual champs?

317Kim
12-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Al, Vince, Rashard all look like good trades to me.

Natston
12-16-2005, 07:01 AM
Ron looks nuts in that team picture.

And really short...

ReGGiesBoOmBaby
12-16-2005, 07:18 AM
I went w/ the Rashard Lewis (Seattle) trade.
Ron looks=:unimpress in that picture. :lmao:

Frank Slade
12-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Oh good I was afraid it was a public poll... phew....
:unimpress

Rashard certainly the top choice in my book

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 10:43 AM
Not 100% true - I could add the Al Harrington option, which I did.

But I can't make it public.

Results will be skewed, however, because there were already 47 votes in before I added Al.

blanket
12-16-2005, 10:55 AM
if we got any of those deals we should be thrilled

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 10:55 AM
I went with Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels. That's 2 good starters, who are both on the verge of being very good starters. Josh Howard is a good scorer, a good defender, and a rebounding machine. Daniels is a good scorer, solid defender, and has a very solid overall game.
I could see Howard "blowing up" the same way Jalen and Ron did.

Chauncey
12-16-2005, 11:00 AM
I went with Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels. That's 2 good starters, who are both on the verge of being very good starters. Josh Howard is a good scorer, a good defender, and a rebounding machine. Daniels is a good scorer, solid defender, and has a very solid overall game.
I could see Howard "blowing up" the same way Jalen and Ron did.

Ditto

Slick Pinkham
12-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Any but the Lakers option would be fine. I doubt we can get many of those offers.

Pull off Lewis, Battier/Jackson, or Daniels/Howard trade and I'll dance with Dick Bavetta at the NBA Christmas party, wearing a lampshade.

:dancingba

skyfire
12-16-2005, 11:18 AM
1. Odom
2. Lewis
3. Battier

In one of those articles in mentioned that LA might trade Odom as part of a package deal (http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004).

themachotaco
12-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Any but the Lakers option would be fine. I doubt we can get many of those offers.

if we got any of those deals we should be thrilled

I am in 100% agreement with both of these statements. I'm very afraid that we are going to end up with a deal for a solid, but unspectacular vet (MoPete/Fisher/Stackhouse) an expiring contract and a first-round pick (that might likely be protected and we wouldn't see for a couple years... not to mention the player may not be a contributer for a couple more... so Ron's replacement steps into the starting lineup in 2010). That scenario, or us ending up with Steve Francis really gives me the heebie jeebies.

Of these options, I like Battier + Stoudamire/Jackson. I would really liked Battier + Jackson. I think Shane would fit in perfectly right into our starting lineup... doesn't need the ball to be effective... seems like a good leader/character guy... solid defender. I must admit that I haven't followed Stoudamire of Jackson since they've arrived in Memphis, but Bobby Jackson still is interesting to me from his Sacto days. Could definitely swing between 1/2 guard. I think the biggest knock against him is probably health. We would be okay as long as either he or Tinsley was healthy at one time or another.

(Assuming Tinsley isn't dealt as well!)

Hicks
12-16-2005, 12:36 PM
I voted Howard/Daniels. That's solid stuff to get for Ron. It'd even make it easy (or easier) to trade Jackson in a separate deal.

Peck
12-16-2005, 06:19 PM
Just so I'm clear... that is the season where we won 61 games, right? And had a deep postseason run, only to fall to the eventual champs?

Yes, that same season. The same time during that eventual fall to the world champs that Foster was benched & barely saw the floor again.

But remember I'm also the guy who believes that that 61 win season was fools gold & probably one of the worst things to ever happen to the fan base here.

SoupIsGood
12-16-2005, 06:26 PM
I really like Josh Howard, I take him.

Bball
12-16-2005, 06:48 PM
Yes, that same season. The same time during that eventual fall to the world champs that Foster was benched & barely saw the floor again.

But remember I'm also the guy who believes that that 61 win season was fools gold & probably one of the worst things to ever happen to the fan base here.

61 wins is 61 wins so it's hard not to see that as a positive. And we did give Detroit a decent run for their money. But after the Rasheed deal, Detroit was clearly better. In fact, I wonder if we just compared records after the trading deadline if the picture would be any clearer (no idea, I haven't looked)?

But regardless, we had holes that year that were available for exposure. The best record doesn't always equate to the best team. You could be onto something. No thanks to 11/19 and wherever anyone wants to place the blame, we'll never know.

-Bball