PDA

View Full Version : Do Ya Really want Al back?

brichard
12-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Look, I like Al Harrington. He is a great emotional lift for the team and he plays with passion. However, was he really that great of a player? And most importantly, is he going to be what we need him to be?

Al would give us one more person who is about as predictable as Rodmans hair. One day he scores, the next he doesn't. I kind of liken Al to getting back together with an ex-girlfriend. You miss each other and you remember the things that made you great together. However, you soon remember why you broke up in the first place.

Al's greatest role to help the Pacers IMHO would be to come off the bench. It is where he offers us the best use of his energy and hustle. However, he wants to be a top dog, which again would give us a logjam if he started as he would battle JO and Jax for touches.

I like Al and I would welcome him like any player. However, why try a combination that hasn't worked in the past? Let us try something new. Al would just be one more player to return to the Pacers, drive up his value, and then leave us for somebody else. BTW, I also worry about his wheel in the long run.

Love ya' Al, and good luck to ya... but hopefully not back here.

For all of you remembering him fondly, don't forget the missed turnaround J's and some really poor playoff performances when factoring everything in.

indygeezer
12-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Egads, I find myself in agreement with Va. No I don't really want him back, but...

jrm7one
12-15-2005, 11:41 PM
YES!!!!!

cracktower
12-15-2005, 11:46 PM
No, He is more of a Powerfoward then a smallfoward, Plus do we have the cash to sign him next season?

Personally I loved Al when he was playing here, but right now he just does not seem like the player we need right now.

Jaydawg2270
12-15-2005, 11:49 PM
Hellz Yes

Anthem
12-16-2005, 12:00 AM
No. Not for Ron anyway.

Jermaniac
12-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Hell muthaf'n Yeah

MagicRat
12-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Al's mid-range game could come in handy......:whoknows:

Kegboy
12-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I want somebody to grab a time machine and go back to January 22, 2002, and get that Al Harrington.

[edit] Of course, that would probably mean he'd blow his ACL tomorrow. :blush:

Hoop
12-16-2005, 12:24 AM
Al wanted out he can stay out. Only way I want Al back is if that's all we can get.

tadscout
12-16-2005, 12:29 AM
No. Not for Ron anyway.
Exactly… we can probably get someone better or a better package…<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Now if Atl would be willing to undo the trade and take <st1:city><st1:place>Jackson</st1:place></st1:city> back for Al……<o:p></o:p>

Evan_The_Dude
12-16-2005, 12:34 AM
I like Al, but I don't think he's going to make our team better unless they plan on playing him at PF and Jermaine at Center... forever... I don't really like that idea, and I think we need someone [else] that's more of a three point threat at that position [and not named Peja].

dynamis22
12-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Yes,

I would definitely be glad to see Al back. He plays hard and he enjoys playing for and in Indiana. He was a crowd favorite, but even greater, he is a class act with talent to boot. Don't we need to get back to that!!!

Also remember he is only 25. He just seems older becuase he was a h.s pick.

PacerMan
12-16-2005, 02:14 AM
Yes, yes and HELL YES. Al was TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD when he 'disappeared" in the playoffs!!!!!
Duh..................

Anthem
12-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Al's mid-range game could come in handy......:whoknows:
We can do better.

Pacersfan.
12-16-2005, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't mind getting him if there wasn't anything better.

317Kim
12-16-2005, 06:44 AM
Yes, why not..He's there, We need him, he likes it here with us

indygeezer
12-16-2005, 08:19 AM
Al will always be my Plan B choice. Let's not need Plan B OK Donnie?

brichard
12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Yes, yes and HELL YES. Al was TWENTY THREE YEARS OLD when he 'disappeared" in the playoffs!!!!!
Duh..................

Well Kobe was pretty darn good in the playoffs at 20... duh.........

Age is a contributing factor, but it does not guarantee a person will improve in the playoffs. Some people have a history of choking in the playoffs throughout their entire career where others step it up a notch. JO is an example of somebody who has improved with age, but I think someobdy mentioned Vince Carter as a person who mailed it in. And Karl Malone always seemed to get rattled the bigger the game was.

Harmonica
12-16-2005, 12:17 PM
I want somebody to grab a time machine and go back to January 22, 2002, and get that Al Harrington.

[edit] Of course, that would probably mean he'd blow his ACL tomorrow. :blush:

So you're a pre-destiny kind of guy, eh?

PacerMan
12-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Well Kobe was pretty darn good in the playoffs at 20... duh.........

Age is a contributing factor, but it does not guarantee a person will improve in the playoffs. Some people have a history of choking in the playoffs throughout their entire career where others step it up a notch. JO is an example of somebody who has improved with age, but I think someobdy mentioned Vince Carter as a person who mailed it in. And Karl Malone always seemed to get rattled the bigger the game was.

Right, and Al is also a top 10 player and phenom?????????? Duh...................

WHOLE bunch more get better as they EXPERIENCE the playoffs. Don't think there's much you can argue with there...........

BillS
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
I'm afraid Al isn't going to get much more playoff experience where he is right now...

Roaming Gnome
12-16-2005, 05:34 PM
No.

Pacesetter
12-16-2005, 05:44 PM
Whatever Donnie & Larry decide to do is fine with me. It would be pretty hard to find someone in the league that is as much a team player as Big Al. He's a heckuva lot more stable-minded than Jacko or Ron Ron!

brichard
12-16-2005, 11:46 PM
Right, and Al is also a top 10 player and phenom?????????? Duh...................

WHOLE bunch more get better as they EXPERIENCE the playoffs. Don't think there's much you can argue with there...........

I just get tired of the age argument. I've heard it with Al, JO, and Bender. And of the 3, the only one that really blossomed was JO. I'm not saying Al is bad, he is a good player. But, he isn't on the same level as Artest or it would have been Ron that was sent away.

I also didn't think the post in any way warranted a "duh" reference. And by the way, if you are drafted out of high school you are supposed to be a phenom... that is why you were drafted. Some boom (Kobe, Garnett, Moses Malone) and some bust (Bender, Kwame Brown,) and some turn out to be pretty good (Al.)

BlueNGold
12-16-2005, 11:54 PM
He would be a good team mate, but he is a bit of a tweener. Too small for PF and not particularly well suited for SF. ...but he is not chump change. Good defender. Strong body. Able to rebound pretty well and can dominate at times offensively. Only question is, will he share the rock. If he is the same Al Harrington of a couple years ago, I would look elsewhere to find a better deal.

Hicks
12-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Al isn't too small for PF; that is just not true. He's 6'9" 245lbs. That is enough size.

BlueNGold
12-17-2005, 12:26 AM
Al isn't too small for PF; that is just not true. He's 6'9" 245lbs. That is enough size.
I think he may even be heavier. He just doesn't have great length for the position. Solid defender, but in my opinion a little undersized. I just randomly looked up some PF's and here is a list: Rasheed, JO, Webber, Duncan, Garnett, Dwight Howard, Bogut, Okafor, Okur. All the way down the list...these guys have length/height on Al. I like Al, particularly how he will fit in with most of the players...and his locker room presence. ...but I still think he is a tweener for PF. ...Maybe JO has me spoiled...but even our previous PFs such as Dale Davis were larger. I am really talking about it from a starter perspective, because whoever we get back for Ron, better be starter material...not all-star, just starter.

WestCoastWillie
12-17-2005, 11:07 AM
[QUOTE=BlueNGold]He would be a good team mate, but he is a bit of a tweener.

Al's been the main man where he is. He left here because he wanted to be the main man. He pouted because he wasn't the main man when he was here before. This team is trying to forge an identity where everyone contributes and with Ron gone, they might just be able to do it. Why would you want to inject another ego into the mix? Good or not, we're talking TEAM chemistry here.