PDA

View Full Version : Stern's serious.....no bad deed goes unpunished....Artest is fined $10k

CableKC
12-15-2005, 07:14 PM
Quoted from RealGM Wiretap:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/38335/20051215/artest_fined_$10000_for_trade_request_comments/

Press Release - Ron Artest of the Indiana Pacers has been fined $10,000 for making public statements detrimental to the NBA. The statements were made in an interview published in the Indianapolis Star on December 11, and concerned Artest's desire to be traded to a team other than the Pacers.

"Public trade demands by players was a subject discussed at length during collective bargaining negotiations this summer," said Rick Buchanan, NBA Senior Vice President and General Counsel. "The damage caused by these kinds of statements was commonly understood, as was the NBA's intention to hold players accountable for such statements going forward."

Stern finallly does somethiing good for us Pacer fans..... :laugh:

Jon Theodore
12-15-2005, 07:18 PM
He should of been fined more.

denyfizle
12-15-2005, 07:18 PM
wow can't believe im on Stern's side

GO!!!!!
12-15-2005, 07:23 PM
Poor RonRon, He can't get a break, now he's un-employed, failed to secure a deposit on a house, is hated by a whole state and legion of Indy Fans, is rumoured to be broke and now has to pay 10K In fine ohh, and is said to be spending his next 3 years in eather Atlanta or Toronto...

Tough Life Kiddo.....

317Kim
12-15-2005, 07:25 PM
:laugh: Wow! I didnt think he was actually serious!!

Pacesetter
12-15-2005, 07:26 PM
thats funny stuff. ron is in a pickle where he has chewed off the hand that fed him, and now has to deal with the aftermath without any support from the Pacers organization. it's really too bad it had to go this way. imo.

what stern is really saying to ron ron is, "Just keep talkin!" :D

Kaufman
12-15-2005, 07:27 PM
Go, Indiana isn't a state. It's now a city, as annointed by Ron's agent. See the USA Today post.

GO!!!!!
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Go, Indiana isn't a state. It's now a city, as annointed by Ron's agent. See the USA Today post.

Sorry, My Apolgies, no offence intended

blanket
12-15-2005, 07:31 PM
Stern finallly does somethiing good for us Pacer fans..... :laugh:

Unless this kind of thing just further reduces Artest's trade value in the eyes of other teams...

CableKC
12-15-2005, 07:37 PM
How does this erode Artest's trade value?

Its not like Stern/NBA Front office is shedding a bad light on Artest....he's done a good job on that all by himself.

Pacesetter
12-15-2005, 07:46 PM
Popularity will put a heckuva lot of drunk people in seats (barring any popcorn beer tosses). Ron can bring 'em in anywhere he lands. THAT'S what I'd be thinking about if I was a GM somewhere. Not only can Ron play some damn good basketball, but his popularity as bad as it is in our eyes is someone else's treasure. Wherever Ron goes he'll put an additional 2,000 people in the seats for the rest of this year, and into the playoffs (if made by his new team). 2,000 x's $45 average seat costs x's 50 games + a modest $5 per guest on vending, per game x's 50 games, for a grand total of = $5,000,000. That number is also very moderate both in increased attendance, ticket costs and vending costs. In most bigger markets tickets are more expensive than those at the Fieldhouse, from what I understand. Ron would have a huge lift to any team. Everybody knows he can ball with the best of them. Most people who might benefit from Ron's presence on their team would believe there's hope for Ron. :)

TMJ31
12-15-2005, 07:54 PM
The Pacers should have fined him for conduct detrimental to the team on top of the NBA's fine of conduct detrimental to the NBA. Would have been a nice little screw you.

blanket
12-15-2005, 08:01 PM
How does this erode Artest's trade value?

Its not like Stern/NBA Front office is shedding a bad light on Artest....he's done a good job on that all by himself.

It's yet another reminder to GMs that he is a marked man in the eyes of Stern and the league office (and rightfully so). It's one thing for a GM to take a risk that Artest might do something stupid, but they also risk pissing off Stern by trading for him. Whatever team trades for Artest is going to put their team under the league's microscope, just as the Pacers org was the last few years.

Harmonica
12-15-2005, 08:01 PM
"The damage caused by these kinds of statements was commonly understood, as was the NBA's intention to hold players accountable for such statements going forward."

Fine should have been higher then. $100,000. At least.

GO!!!!!
12-15-2005, 08:19 PM
I understand we all hate him, but he isnt jobless. I wish he wasnt getting paid, but he is still aquiring a pay-check to play.

And as for the down payment on the house, its a internet rumor. On top of that, he may have inquired about it and not really wanted the house....

Must you be a loner every day of the year...

I was being Sarcastic, but thanks for the Analysis Dr Phil

CableKC
12-15-2005, 08:22 PM
It's yet another reminder to GMs that he is a marked man in the eyes of Stern and the league office (and rightfully so). It's one thing for a GM to take a risk that Artest might do something stupid, but they also risk pissing off Stern by trading for him. Whatever team trades for Artest is going to put their team under the league's microscope, just as the Pacers org was the last few years.
I guess that's possible....but I don't think Stern has to remind any GM that Artest is under an electron microscope for the rest of his NBA career....that's a given.

Gamble
12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Stern's sticken it to the man..

Evan_The_Dude
12-15-2005, 09:06 PM
The way he decreased his trade value by going public is way more than $10,000 worth of damage to the Pacers...

Pacersfan.
12-15-2005, 09:08 PM
The way he decreased his trade value by going public is way more than $10,000 worth of damage to the Pacers...

I have a feeling if it was much more the Player's Association would have something to say about it (if they don't already).

Pacers#1Fan
12-15-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't see Artest getting any slack anymore. I can't wait till he ****s up again.

naptownmenace
12-16-2005, 11:49 AM
As part of the CBA the League promised to start cracking back on players that went public with trade requests or who held out from reporting to their new teams after being traded.

For once I'm actually on Stern's side.