PDA

View Full Version : 16 teams offer deals for Artest

Ryan
12-15-2005, 05:21 PM
Not sure if this has been posted.

BostonConnection can probably validate if he was listening to WEEI today (flagship for the C's in Boston). Glen Ordway (host and former C's commentator) said the Celtics offered Ricky Davis and/or a first round pick for Artest and Walsh said no thanks in about three seconds.

WEEI continued that sources close to Indiana are telling them 16 NBA teams have inquired about the services of Ron Artest. Meaning, there are much better deals on the table than Davis and a 1st rounder.

WEEI is a sister station to the one I work for and I confirmed the information. But take it as you will.

Shade
12-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Thank goodness. Why trade one head-case for a less-talented one?

317Kim
12-15-2005, 05:26 PM
:laugh: Well stated!

sweabs
12-15-2005, 05:27 PM
That's very good news.

Ricky Davis is a talented player (I'm glad we turned him down), but he's talented none the less. Add to the fact a 1st rounder is involved.

I may have been wrong about Artest's trade value. Maybe GM's are really that stupid.

Shade
12-15-2005, 05:29 PM
That's very good news.

Ricky Davis is a talented player (I'm glad we turned him down), but he's talented none the less. Add to the fact a 1st rounder is involved.

I may have been wrong about Artest's trade value. Maybe GM's are really that stupid.

Stupid, no. Desperate, yes. But they're no more desperate than Donnie and Larry were when trading for him and puting up with his antics as long as they did.

CableKC
12-15-2005, 05:31 PM
I will gladly say that I was completely wrong in assming that we're not going to get a good deal if there is a better deal out there then RickyDavis + a first round pick.

sweabs
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
Obviously overlooking all the bad this guy brings in the locker-room, etc. and looking at this trade from a purely statistical basis, I'm excited to see who we bring in instead:

Ricky Davis, 2005-2006
20.5 ppg
4.6 rpg
5.4 apg
1.5 spg

Very excited...

blanket
12-15-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm pretty sure it's more like 16 teams have INQUIRED about Artest, and not that all 16 actually OFFERED DEALS for him. :whoknows:

blanket
12-15-2005, 05:37 PM
Obviously overlooking all the bad this guy brings in the locker-room, etc. and looking at this trade from a purely statistical basis, I'm excited to see who we bring in instead:

Ricky Davis, 2005-2006
20.5 ppg
4.6 rpg
5.4 apg
1.5 spg

Very excited...

It's probably Ricky's attitude that DW turned down more than his capabilities as a player. We may not end up getting a player putting up 20+ points a game like Ricky, but you can bet whoever we get won't be the headcase he is, either.

Shade
12-15-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm pretty sure it's more like 16 teams have INQUIRED about Artest, and not that all 16 actually OFFERED DEALS for him. :whoknows:

What would they need to inquire about? It's public knowledge that he's available.

blanket
12-15-2005, 05:41 PM
What would they need to inquire about? It's public knowledge that he's available.

To find out what the Pacers are looking for. That doesn't mean that each of those teams then said, "OK, let's make a deal!"

Naptown Seth
12-15-2005, 06:02 PM
Ricky Davis & a 1st would have been an awesome deal for the overrated Artest. If you people would have been paying attention the past 2 years, you would have noticed Ricky Davis is far removed from being a headcase, and is one of the most underrated players in the league. Combine that with a 1st and I would've jumped on it.

Jermaniac
12-15-2005, 06:13 PM
If we denied Ricky and a 1st for Ron then we must be getting pretty darn good deals.

I heard yesterday Ricky almost didnt play because he almost got traded for Ron.

Pacesetter
12-15-2005, 06:15 PM
Glen Ordway (host and former C's commentator) said the Celtics offered Ricky Davis and/or a first round pick for Artest and Walsh said no thanks in about three seconds.

Donnie's awesome :D

Hicks
12-15-2005, 09:44 PM
This news is encouraging. We should be getting something pretty good for Ron in the next handful of days.

SoupIsGood
12-15-2005, 09:47 PM
Wow, now I'm getting hopeful.

Pacers#1Fan
12-15-2005, 09:47 PM
I am so excited I am about ready to pee my pants...................to late.

DisplacedKnick
12-15-2005, 10:29 PM
Ricky's straightened up his act quite a bit in the last year and a half or so. Like everyone else said, there must be some good offers out there.

pizza guy
12-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Not neccessarily.

I did hear something about Ricky being traded, didnt realize it would have been to us.

You know how there are just guys in the NBA you cant stand, and cant really give a reason why you dont like them? but you just really hate them as a basketball player. He is one of them for me

Yeah, I'll ditto that. I've never liked Ricky Davis, and I doubt that would change if he were a Pacer. If there's an offer out there better than that, it's encouraging. Davis is pretty talented, and a first-rounder to boot...we're looking at something pretty major if there's a better deal out there.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 12:29 AM
So about half the teams in the league made offers, and the other half of the teams wouldn't even make an offer - any offer, even a lowball offer - for a former all star and DPOY with a reasonably low contract.

Think about that.

Bball
12-16-2005, 12:41 AM
So about half the teams in the league made offers, and the other half of the teams wouldn't even make an offer - any offer, even a lowball offer - for a former all star and DPOY with a reasonably low contract.

Think about that.

We have an early frontrunner for the Debbie Downer of the Day award.

;)

-Bball

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 12:43 AM
Like I'm ever *not* in contention?

Well, maybe on weekends, when I'm only sharing my gloom with Jay's_Family@Section204.

themachotaco
12-16-2005, 12:45 AM

Think about that.

So how do you feret the teams out? Here's how I did...

Probable offers
Boston, Toronto, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Denver, Atlanta, Miami, LA Lakers, Sacramento

Maybe
New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, Cleveland, Minnesota, Seattle, Orlando, Washington, Golden State

Probably not offers
San Antonio, New Orleans, Detroit, Milwaukee, Portland, Utah, Charlotte, LA Clippers, Phoenix

So where do you move the teams in the middle? If we are to believe this rumor, 6 of them go to offers, 3 go no offer.

Care to convince me that any of the not offers maybe did offer?

Hoop
12-16-2005, 01:02 AM
So how do you feret the teams out? Here's how I did...

Probable offers
Boston, Toronto, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Denver, Atlanta, Miami, LA Lakers, Sacramento

Maybe
New Jersey, Philadelphia, Chicago, Cleveland, Minnesota, Seattle, Orlando, Washington, Golden State

Probably not offers
San Antonio, New Orleans, Detroit, Milwaukee, Portland, Utah, Charlotte, LA Clippers, Phoenix

So where do you move the teams in the middle? If we are to believe this rumor, 6 of them go to offers, 3 go no offer.

Care to convince me that any of the not offers maybe did offer?
Great break down of teams possibly interested, you missed the Knicks, almost certainly in the probable offers category.

We'll probably never know, but it sure would be fun to hear what every trade offer was after this thing is finally over.

dipperdunk
12-16-2005, 01:06 AM

Think about that.

I agree, the Pacers may be able to make a good deal but the market is limited because many teams would want Artest for nothing or they want no part of Artest.

Billy King confirmed the Sixers were one of the 16 teams that called the Pacers. In todays Stephen A. Smith column(link below) King was quoted as saying he didn't want Artest. That would mean he only called the Pacers to try to steal Artest he probably figured if he could get Artest for nothing than it would be worth the risk of adding him to the team but no way was he going to take that risk and give up talent. I'm guessing most GM's have the same mindset as Billy King. They will take the risk if they can steal Artest but they aren't going to give up much talent and take the risk.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13413415.htm

BostonConnection
12-16-2005, 01:23 AM
Not sure if this has been posted.

BostonConnection can probably validate if he was listening to WEEI today (flagship for the C's in Boston). Glen Ordway (host and former C's commentator) said the Celtics offered Ricky Davis and/or a first round pick for Artest and Walsh said no thanks in about three seconds.

WEEI continued that sources close to Indiana are telling them 16 NBA teams have inquired about the services of Ron Artest. Meaning, there are much better deals on the table than Davis and a 1st rounder.

WEEI is a sister station to the one I work for and I confirmed the information. But take it as you will.

Ryan, you must work for their FM affiliate in Rhode Island. Unfortunately I missed Ordway on the Big Show, but I did catch Doc Rivers on his Thursday morning chat on WEEI's morning show. Rivers didn't want to give a direct answer when asked if the Celts have made an offer for Ron, but if you read between the lines of what he said it sounded like (Executive Director of Basketball Operations) Danny Ainge is interested but he (Coach Rivers) is not.

Regarding Ricky Davis, I've followed him fairly closely over the last couple of years because until this season he was on my keeper league team. I can say that he seems to have really cleaned up his act since arriving in Boston, so much so that it sounds funny to hear fellow Pacer fans calling Davis a "head case" when you consider the comparison to the guy on our side of the trade over the same time period. :hmm:

Talent-wise, Ricky is decent offensively, but can be inconsistent. Now if the Celts were offering Al Jefferson and a 1st round pick, I might be inclined to take that offer if I were the Pacers brass, in terms of long-term prospects (kinda like getting a young JO but with more playing time under his belt). :cool:

[Edit]I realize that deal doesn't work salary-wise, since Jefferson isn't making very much, it would probably have to be something like Jefferson and Mark Blount, whom the Celts wouldn't mind moving from a contract perspective. And given Ainge's willingness to pull the trigger on big trades, I could envision a deal like that being offered if Danny wanted to go in that direction.

ChicagoJ
12-16-2005, 09:51 AM
There's no way Chicago made an offer.

themachotaco
12-16-2005, 11:44 AM
So right now, here's where we think we stand...

Probable offers
Boston, Toronto, Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Denver, Atlanta, Miami, LA Lakers, Sacramento, New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey

Maybe
Cleveland, Minnesota, Seattle, Orlando, Washington, Golden State

Probably not offers
San Antonio, New Orleans, Detroit, Milwaukee, Portland, Utah, Charlotte, LA Clippers, Phoenix, Chicago

So who else moves into the offers side? We need three more... Part of me really thinks Golden State would make a play (especially with all of the talk here about Pietrus/Diogu), but I just don't buy them messing with the chemistry that they have... I could be wrong. I have the same argument for the Clippers. Chad Ford mentioned them and New Orleans as teams interested, anyone care to persuade me that they are?

(Thanks for pointing out NYK, Hoop. Don't know how I missed them.)

blanket
12-16-2005, 11:52 AM
There's no way Chicago made an offer.

That's true.

But does anyone think we might be able to swing a 3-team trade with Chicago, whereby another team gets Artest, Chicago gets player(s) from that team, and we get some of the Bulls' young talent?

For example, Peja wants to go to Chicago, Bird covets Ben Gordon, so how about:

Artest to Sacto, Peja to the Bulls, Gordon and O Harrington to the Pacers. Yes? No?

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
That's true.

But does anyone think we might be able to swing a 3-team trade with Chicago, whereby another team gets Artest, Chicago gets player(s) from that team, and we get some of the Bulls' young talent?

For example, Peja wants to go to Chicago, Bird covets Ben Gordon, so how about:

Artest to Sacto, Peja to the Bulls, Gordon and O Harrington to the Pacers. Yes? No?
It's possible, but I doubt it. If Donnie honestly turned down Ricky Davis and a 1st for Ron, I highly doubt he'd accept 6'2" Ben Gordon, who's been nothing but a shot chucker thus far in his career, and Othella Harrington, who's nothing more than another Samaki Walker.

blanket
12-16-2005, 12:11 PM
It's possible, but I doubt it. If Donnie honestly turned down Ricky Davis and a 1st for Ron, I highly doubt he'd accept 6'2" Ben Gordon, who's been nothing but a shot chucker thus far in his career, and Othella Harrington, who's nothing more than another Samaki Walker.

I think you're undervaluing each of those players a bit (especially Gordon), but I hope you're right in thinking we can get better than this for Artest.

Will Galen
12-16-2005, 12:25 PM
Ricky Davis & a 1st would have been an awesome deal for the overrated Artest. If you people would have been paying attention the past 2 years, you would have noticed Ricky Davis is far removed from being a headcase, and is one of the most underrated players in the league. Combine that with a 1st and I would've jumped on it.

Maybe Walsh would have jumped on it too, but maybe he had already recieved an offer he liked better.

CableKC
12-16-2005, 01:05 PM
I don't know if it was mentioned here.....but I think that Walsh turned down the offer for Ricky Davis NOT BECAUSE he felt he could do better....but because he didn't want to deal Artest to an Eastern Conference rival.....more specifically...a team that we have faced in the playoffs over the last 3 Playoffs.

Bball
12-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh has talked with representatives from 15-20 teams regarding Ron Artest. He's resigned to the fact he won't get a player or players as talented as Artest. He's just hoping to get as close as possible, and it seems likely he'll have to work a deal involving more than two teams.
-- Indianapolis Star

When Isiah Thomas coached the Pacers, he found Ron Artest so unmanageable, so disorderly, so inclined to do the opposite of what the situation called for, he seriously considered excluding him (and Ron Mercer) from the playoff roster in '02-03.
-- New York Post

The Nets placed a call to the Pacers on Thursday, their first official expression of interest in Ron Artest. The Nets have an advantage over many other clubs in that they could afford to trade a star, Vince Carter, and possibly still improve as a team.
-- New York Times

Ron Artest was fined $10,000 by the NBA on Thursday for making public comments detrimental to the league. The statements concerned his desire to be traded. "Public trade demands by players was a subject discussed at length during collective bargaining negotiations this summer," Rick Buchanan, the NBA's senior vice president and general counsel, said in a statement released by the league.
-- Indianapolis Star

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/scorecard/12/16/truth.rumors.nba/

CableKC
12-16-2005, 02:10 PM
That would mean he only called the Pacers to try to steal Artest he probably figured if he could get Artest for nothing than it would be worth the risk of adding him to the team but no way was he going to take that risk and give up talent. I'm guessing most GM's have the same mindset as Billy King. They will take the risk if they can steal Artest but they aren't going to give up much talent and take the risk.

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/13413415.htm

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh has talked with representatives from 15-20 teams regarding Ron Artest. He's resigned to the fact he won't get a player or players as talented as Artest. He's just hoping to get as close as possible, and it seems likely he'll have to work a deal involving more than two teams.
-- Indianapolis Star

These are the very 2 reasons why I think that we will end up with something close to the "Spree for 3 crap players" deal. With more and more reports that GMs are willing to try to steal away Artest but not mortgage their future........it will only lead to the Pacers not getting what we really want...something decent in return for Artest.

Artest is well worth the risk.....cuz he can make a significant difference on a team.....but most GMs don't want to give up alot just because they know how destructive a player he can be to an organization.

I'm telling you guys....if we even get 1 decent young player and it means that we have to take back a big contract...then Walsh should do it...the longer this drags out...the less phone calls and MORE DESPERATE we will become.

blanket
12-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Not sure which of the 1000 trade threads is the best one to put this in, but in here is better than creating a new thread for it...

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/5172472

"Lamar Odom's name is being mentioned in the Artest trade talks, and it sounds like he's the best player to be named in trade discussions for Indiana's troubled forward."

CableKC
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
God....I hate this waiting.... I feel like I'm in a hospital waiting room waiting for my baby to be born........:pissed:

Naptown Seth
12-16-2005, 03:30 PM
God....I hate this waiting.... I feel like I'm in a hospital waiting room waiting for my baby to be born........:pissed:
It's like waiting for Christmas morning. All the speculation is exciting, but after a while you just want it to get here so you can finally find out what you get. :)

BillS
12-16-2005, 03:35 PM
It's like waiting for Christmas morning. All the speculation is exciting, but after a while you just want it to get here so you can finally find out what you get. :)

You mean I'm going to get poop in my stocking, too?

What a crappy year.

Hoop
12-16-2005, 03:37 PM
It's like waiting for Christmas morning. All the speculation is exciting, but after a while you just want it to get here so you can finally find out what you get. :)I'm just afraid when we finally get to open our "present" it'll be a pair of socks. :cry:

DEEman
12-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Same feeling overhere. I've been online here the whole day. Reading every thread/word, hoping to read something new...hoping to see a new thread with the title: "Breaking news, Artest goes to..."

blanket
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Congratulations, sir!

CableKC
12-16-2005, 04:07 PM
I'm not actually having a baby....I did this last year and a half.....I'm just saying that its like that.

And to tell you the truth....it does feel like Christmas....but I'm expecting to find a pair of expired socks and an old pair of shoes when we finally open the present.

I hate this waiting......and yes...like everyone here....I have been switching back between PD and the RealGM Pacer forum for the last 3 days.

I really really hope that Walsh is able to get something together by the end of this weekend......just end our misery....PLEASE......

blanket
12-16-2005, 04:18 PM
I'm not actually having a baby....I did this last year and a half.....I'm just saying that its like that.

I know, it was just a bad joke on my part. (see the Lamar-baby attachment in my post) :blush:

DEEman
12-16-2005, 04:22 PM
I know, it was just a bad joke on my part. (see the Lamar-baby attachment in my post) :blush:
bad joke? i thought it was quite funny :)

CableKC
12-16-2005, 04:28 PM
Oh...I'm just retarded...I didn't notice the Odom baby picture. The delivery for Odom's mom must have been difficult....