PDA

View Full Version : Thomas says he won't give up young players for Artest

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 09:19 PM
Thomas says he won't give up young players for Artest

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
December 14, 2005

NEW YORK (AP) -- Knicks president Isiah Thomas said he contacted the Indiana Pacers on Wednesday, but he won't trade any of his young players for Ron Artest.

Speaking before New York's game against the Orlando Magic, Thomas acknowledged that the Knicks need to get better. They entered Wednesday's game 6-14 after three straight losses.

One of the ways to do that could be trading for Artest, who this week asked to be dealt from the Indiana Pacers. The New York native said his preference would be to join the Knicks, and Thomas said he'd like to make that happen.

Thomas, who previously coached Indiana, said he called to ask about his former player but wouldn't say what was discussed, or what he thought his chances were of getting him.

"I never discuss the conversations that we have, but you're well aware that a phone call did take place today," Thomas said.

"That ball's in the Indiana Pacers' court and I'm sure at the end of the day they will make the best decision for their organization and their franchise."

Any team seeking a trade with the Knicks would almost certainly ask about rookie Channing Frye, who is averaging 15.4 points and scored a career-high 30 on Monday night. New York has two other players, Nate Robinson and David Lee, who were drafted in the first round of this year's draft.

Thomas was asked if he'd deal any of them.

"I wouldn't," Thomas said. "Wouldn't part with any of them."

Artest isn't playing in Indiana's game against Boston. He will be inactive with pay for at least the next three games as the Pacers explore trade possibilities.

Artest missed 73 games and the playoffs last year after the NBA suspended him for triggering a brawl with fans in Detroit. Though he leads the league in steals, is the Pacers' second-leading scorer at 19.4 points per game and was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year in 2003-04, the Pacers have tired of the baggage he brings.

"Obviously not having Ron, you take a step back," Pacers leading scorer Jermaine O'Neal said. "Our business relationship is over, and that's a fact. We've moved on as a team."

Thomas understands that the Knicks would have to be prepared to deal with the problems Artest causes.

"He's a great player and yes that is a concern, but I think anyone who trades for him or gets somebody... they understand exactly what they're getting," Thomas said.

Updated on Wednesday, Dec 14, 2005 8:15 pm EST

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ArKJ5IH_R3_seyl7v0lFCgS8vLYF?slug=ap-knicks-thomas&prov=ap&type=lgns

Lord Helmet
12-14-2005, 09:36 PM
Well then you aren't getting Ron.

Shade
12-14-2005, 09:53 PM
Good, Ron doesn't get what he wants. Zeke was smart with this one, he knows Ron will just land in his lap in a couple years anyway.

IndyHoosier
12-14-2005, 09:58 PM
Gotta have Channing in any talks with New York.

Jermaniac
12-14-2005, 10:08 PM
What the hell do you think you are going to get him with Zeke? Antonio Davis and Jerome James?

Tim
12-14-2005, 10:17 PM
All Zeke has to do is wait, Ron will come to him in time. In fact, I bet that kills part of Ron's trade value.

Jermaniac
12-14-2005, 10:19 PM
Yeah he will come to him in 3 years, but he will probably be out of the NBA in 3 years. Like Reggie said if Donnie cant get anything good for Ron he is going to send him to the Hawks or Raptors he wont let him get his wish.