PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta article bashing Miller, Artest.

Merz
01-21-2004, 03:05 AM
For lack of class
pretty much a waste of text

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=400

"Reggie, Artest Teach but have no Class in Atlanta

Forgive me if this comes across a little bitter, but this is one Atlanta writer who has had enough.

First, let’s look at the facts.

Fact: Reggie Miller is a very good shooter.

Fact: Ron Artest is an extremely talented player, who is only getting better in the league.

Fact: The efforts of the two of them were the reason that the Pacers beat the Hawks on MLK day, 100-97.

Here is another fact that nobody read about in their recaps of the pretty impressive matchup between one of the best and one of the worst in the league:

Neither Miller nor Artest have a lot of class between them.

After Miller hit his ridiculously tough three pointer, something this writer admits without hesitation, Miller let the city of Atlanta know about it.

“He was saying that he is the greatest three point shooter ever,” transcribed Jason Terry afterwards. “He was screaming that he was the best clutch player the league has ever had.”

Has he made big shots with the spotlight glaring down on him? Check. Does this give him the clearance to launch such bravado. Yup, it’s his right.

Does this endear him to anyone other than those that profess allegiance to all things Pacers?

Nope, and that’s their right, too.

Is it too much to ask Miller, who spends the entire game doing all the little things to try and extract fouls and outbursts from opponents, a smidge of humility and class after he does “his thing?”

Let’s get this straight, Miller doesn’t owe anyone that. He doesn’t. It’s his God given right to talk the talk, especially if he walks the walk. It simply sticks him a category that lacks the class that other champs perform with.

He has had a great career, with some unforgettable moments, but is he in a clutch class with Wilt, Bill, Michael, or even…Kobe?

Nope. Why?

Look at all those rings on his fingers. Even with all those clutch shots, he hasn’t been able to be clutch enough to get a ring. And that’s really the end of the “best clutch player the league has ever seen” discussion.

As for Artest, his transgression is a more common one, one which is passed about like a free newspaper. Artest, after seeing a sellout crowd enter through the Philips Arena doors declared that Atlanta doesn’t deserve basketball, since they don’t support the team.

Hmmm…nice. It was the Hawks fourth sellout of the season, and it was pro-Hawks all the way, and Artest feels that there is no support?

Any chance he’ll say something about the city of Houston when the Pacers roll into a less than capacity Compaq Center? Nope. Why? Because it’s not trendy to dump on Houston than it is Atlanta.

Attendance is actually up in the ATL, thanks in large part to an aggressive staff that has loaded the arena with some quality entertainment (though not always on the court) and some nice in game entertainment (the in house DJ, Ryan Cameron is terrific). That attendance is up after not being in the playoffs since 1999, and combined with the fact that the team is worse than ever record-wise, and I think the city deserve an atta-boy instead of another slap in the face.

Maybe Artest was bitter when he saw the packed house and couldn’t unleash those witty barbs like “they sold all their tickets for a dollar” and “they should move them to another city or state.” But he did anyway, kicking a city and its fans when they are waaay down.

And it’s funny, because I don’t remember Artest being so funny when he was on those bad Bulls teams, which I recall ended the sellout streak that Jordan and Co. started. Give the Hawks a team that wins six titles and I am just going to wager a little that the arena and the city would “support” it.

I think that the fact that people still come out and make any noise for a team that hasn’t gotten close to the postseason in five years and that they have sold out four times (all of which has been to see –gasp—the home team) makes a case for the fans to get a break.

But that’s not the trendy thing to do, so everyone takes the low hanging fruit and bashes the city, the resilient fans, the organization –whom exude class, unlike those who bash them regularly-- , the arena (couldn’t be more wrong here), and anything inside the city limits. Of course these are the same people who will gladly accept press passes and ask for interviews when this thing turns around.

And when that happens, players that take cheap shots like Artest will gladly take money from teams like the Hawks and their “unsupportive” fans and change their tune faster than a karaoke machine on uppers.

Classy, ain’t it?"

Kstat
01-21-2004, 03:16 AM
Because it’s not trendy to dump on Houston than it is Atlanta.

Is that even a complete sentence?

Peck
01-21-2004, 04:28 AM
For lack of class
pretty much a waste of text

http://hawks.realgm.com/showarticle.php?artid=400

"Reggie, Artest Teach but have no Class in Atlanta

Forgive me if this comes across a little bitter, but this is one Atlanta writer who has had enough.

First, let’s look at the facts.

Fact: Reggie Miller is a very good shooter.

Fact: Ron Artest is an extremely talented player, who is only getting better in the league.

Fact: The efforts of the two of them were the reason that the Pacers beat the Hawks on MLK day, 100-97.

Here is another fact that nobody read about in their recaps of the pretty impressive matchup between one of the best and one of the worst in the league:

Neither Miller nor Artest have a lot of class between them.

After Miller hit his ridiculously tough three pointer, something this writer admits without hesitation, Miller let the city of Atlanta know about it.

“He was saying that he is the greatest three point shooter ever,” transcribed Jason Terry afterwards. “He was screaming that he was the best clutch player the league has ever had.”

Has he made big shots with the spotlight glaring down on him? Check. Does this give him the clearance to launch such bravado. Yup, it’s his right.

Does this endear him to anyone other than those that profess allegiance to all things Pacers?

Nope, and that’s their right, too.

Is it too much to ask Miller, who spends the entire game doing all the little things to try and extract fouls and outbursts from opponents, a smidge of humility and class after he does “his thing?”

Let’s get this straight, Miller doesn’t owe anyone that. He doesn’t. It’s his God given right to talk the talk, especially if he walks the walk. It simply sticks him a category that lacks the class that other champs perform with.

He has had a great career, with some unforgettable moments, but is he in a clutch class with Wilt, Bill, Michael, or even…Kobe?

Nope. Why?

Look at all those rings on his fingers. Even with all those clutch shots, he hasn’t been able to be clutch enough to get a ring. And that’s really the end of the “best clutch player the league has ever seen” discussion.

As for Artest, his transgression is a more common one, one which is passed about like a free newspaper. Artest, after seeing a sellout crowd enter through the Philips Arena doors declared that Atlanta doesn’t deserve basketball, since they don’t support the team.

Hmmm…nice. It was the Hawks fourth sellout of the season, and it was pro-Hawks all the way, and Artest feels that there is no support?

Any chance he’ll say something about the city of Houston when the Pacers roll into a less than capacity Compaq Center? Nope. Why? Because it’s not trendy to dump on Houston than it is Atlanta.

Attendance is actually up in the ATL, thanks in large part to an aggressive staff that has loaded the arena with some quality entertainment (though not always on the court) and some nice in game entertainment (the in house DJ, Ryan Cameron is terrific). That attendance is up after not being in the playoffs since 1999, and combined with the fact that the team is worse than ever record-wise, and I think the city deserve an atta-boy instead of another slap in the face.

Maybe Artest was bitter when he saw the packed house and couldn’t unleash those witty barbs like “they sold all their tickets for a dollar” and “they should move them to another city or state.” But he did anyway, kicking a city and its fans when they are waaay down.

And it’s funny, because I don’t remember Artest being so funny when he was on those bad Bulls teams, which I recall ended the sellout streak that Jordan and Co. started. Give the Hawks a team that wins six titles and I am just going to wager a little that the arena and the city would “support” it.

I think that the fact that people still come out and make any noise for a team that hasn’t gotten close to the postseason in five years and that they have sold out four times (all of which has been to see –gasp—the home team) makes a case for the fans to get a break.

But that’s not the trendy thing to do, so everyone takes the low hanging fruit and bashes the city, the resilient fans, the organization –whom exude class, unlike those who bash them regularly-- , the arena (couldn’t be more wrong here), and anything inside the city limits. Of course these are the same people who will gladly accept press passes and ask for interviews when this thing turns around.

And when that happens, players that take cheap shots like Artest will gladly take money from teams like the Hawks and their “unsupportive” fans and change their tune faster than a karaoke machine on uppers.

Classy, ain’t it?"

I take two things away from this article.

1. If Reggie really said what they say he said then for the love of God start feeding him the rock. Whenever Reggie starts to pump himself up there's only one thing to do & that is give him the ball & let it be Miller time.

2. I feel for the Hawk fans (all 12 of them) really I do. I know what it's like to sit in an arena that is empty or worse yet filled with people that are fans of the other team. But here is the problem I have with this article. It's not accurate. When the Hawks were a good team (man that seems like a lifetime ago) they barely sold out their building. When we played them in the semi-finals & ATA was doing the day trips to the Omni they were selling as many tickets as you wanted to go. In other words Atl. gave our team a ton of tickets to sell to our fans. In sections of the arena we outnumbered the Hawks fans by a large margin. I would almost guess that about 40% of the Arena was filled with Pacer fans.

But like I said I do sympathize. At one time the Pacers were the laughing stocks of the league.

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 06:35 AM
Of course these are the same people who will gladly accept press passes and ask for interviews when this thing turns around.
================

I doubt if you'll ever see Reg or Ron ask for a press pass or doing interviews.

ABADays
01-21-2004, 08:42 AM
This sounds sooooooo Reggie :rolleyes:

grace
01-21-2004, 08:51 AM
I stopped reading when the writer said Kobe has class. :rolleyes:

DisplacedKnick
01-21-2004, 08:54 AM

I stopped when I saw it was from RealGM ...

ChicagoJ
01-21-2004, 12:15 PM

I stopped when I saw it was from RealGM ...

I wish I had stopped reading. I was in such disbelief I had to continue.

Ditto to Peck's comments. I just didn't realize there were twelve Hawks fans in the post-Dominique era. I thought it was closer to 9.

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 12:20 PM
Sour grapes, sore loser. Can't find anything good to say about his own club so he has to try to drub the opposition. Perhaps he works for the Hawks and is trying to start a "rivalry". (Remember Slick calling out the "mormons" back in the ABA days of Utah?)

But generally I'd just say the guy is a hack and a p* poor homer.

Kegboy
01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
This reads like someone who's covered the worst team in the league the whole year, had some hope with a sellout crowd and an almost win against the best team in the east, and when they didn't come through, he just lost it.

With Denver and the Clips turning things around, and the arrival of King James, Atlanta has become the laughingstock of the league. Must be tough on the guy. ;)

ROCislandWarrior
01-21-2004, 01:01 PM
this guy wouldn't even post his name or email.....tisk tisk

That article didn't even anger me...thats how pathetic it was

bulletproof
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Because it’s not trendy to dump on Houston than it is Atlanta.

Is that even a complete sentence?

Most writers use sentence fragments for style purposes. Using complete sentences all the time comes off as clunky and stilted.

beast23
01-21-2004, 02:23 PM
This sounds sooooooo Reggie :rolleyes:

Actually, that's the part of the article that puzzled me.

NO. It doesn't sound like Reggie at all.

Reggie used to talk a lot of trash towards the opposing player during games. Usually of a humorous nature. He's toned it down over the last few years.

I've heard Miller tell the opposing player, their bench, even Spike Lee, that no one on the floor can stop him.

But I've never seen him go the extreme statements published in the article. He just lets his game do that type of talking for him. Overall, in his public life, he's really quite modest about his accomplishments, preferring to talk more about the accomplishments of the team than his own.

I'm not saying that he didn't or couldn't say something like what Terry claims, but it's just not like him. I do have my doubts.

Kind of like Iverson pulling the race card as an excuse for flipping off our fans.