PDA

View Full Version : How do you feel about Granger?

ChicagoJ
12-14-2005, 02:04 PM
Breaking off the conversation about Granger from the "What position do we need to fill trade" (although I think these two topics are tightly related.)

++++++++++

As the long-term solution at SF?

And if so, does that change your thought process about trading Artest (and/or any other subsequent trades as has been suggested frequently on here)?

Clearly, Granger is not yet the on-court player that Ron can be when his head is screwed on straight. But is he ready to assume a larger role on the team so that he develops quickly?

What should his role be, post-trade? (Rick's stubborn refusal to play rookies notwithstanding.)

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 02:07 PM
I would just like to see him get heavier minutes at the 3 some at the 4,
and then hopefully by midseason if not sooner Carlisle inserts him in the starting lineup.

I guess that is all depending on who we get in trade.

Hicks
12-14-2005, 02:10 PM
If it were my choice, I'd let him sink or swim at the starting 3, even if it hurts us this season. It will help us later unless he just gets embarassed. I think long-term he's another Artest minus this nutjob part. I'm hoping for Ron we get a big man back, or a 2guard.

Vicious Tyrant
12-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I'll second Hick's "sink or swim" suggestion. How do people feel about his defense? I recall hearing he played well in college, but I haven't seen enough this year to know...

Hicks
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
He's already a pretty good defender, he should be great with experience.

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 02:19 PM
I'll second Hick's "sink or swim" suggestion. How do people feel about his defense? I recall hearing he played well in college, but I haven't seen enough this year to know...

He has looked good at times this year, seems to have a good nose for the ball when blocking shots... now as far as his college career here is a brief blurb on that..for whatever this is worth..

Granger played the best ball of his whole career in this year’s MWC tournament, leading New Mexico into the Big Dance. Statistically, he does it all and has done it all for the past three seasons. He’s worked hard over the years to extend his range, as he used to score almost every one of his baskets down low. Granger usually has a knack for getting to the free-throw line, and he backs that up by being a very solid 75% free-throw shooter. Perhaps the thing that jumps off his stat sheet the most is that he averaged over 2 blocks and 2 steals per game as a senior. These numbers are not really inflated by playing against lesser talent, but he just is a very intense and focused defender. Granger is the best of the senior forwards (Warrick, Simien, Graham) and should drop no lower than 20th

Scouting Report:

Inside-outside guy… competes hard all the time… very underrated on the college level… could be a sleeper in the draft… lacks athleticism of other top prospects…

Strengths: Versatility, strength, competitiveness

Weaknesses: Athleticism, could be more assertive

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 02:20 PM
The only thing that worries me is that he becomes about as "assertive" as Freddie Jones...

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
The only thing that worries me is that he becomes about as "assertive" as Freddie Jones...

I would not worry about that .. 16 games played, and limited to 15 minutes per

I am not sure what we can be fairly expected until he gets more consistent playing time. Even Freddy is getting about 10 minutes more a game.

Slick Pinkham
12-14-2005, 02:26 PM
I want him starting at SF too.

He is already a much better rebounder than Ron was. Nobody ever seems to mind Ron's 4.8 rpg average.

I much prefer him over Jax because I think he will gladly do all the dirty work.

Unclebuck
12-14-2005, 02:28 PM
He just is not ready yet. And right now I don't know if he'll be a better 4 or 3. He might be able to play both very well.

Bball
12-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Granger can't replace Artest on the court right now... and I doubt he could do it long term. But then few, if any, could bring what a focused Ron Artest brings to the team. If we are waiting on a replacement for that, then we'll be waiting quite a while.

As for letting him sink or swim at the starting 3 position. A lot depends on what we get back from any trade(s) that are in our near future. If we end up with the idea that we have no legitimate run as a deep playoff threat and management sees Granger as a part of our future, then I'm inclined to go with the idea of throwing him to the wolves and taking our lumps. Let's see the development and know what we have.

OTOH, if after the trade(s) things shake out and it looks like we're becoming a good team again with a chance to do something in the playoffs, then I'd opt to bring him along with lots of minutes off the bench with plenty of rope so that he can learn from his mistakes (unless he hits the wall and becomes a total flop on the court).

The key to Granger's role and success will probably depend greatly on those around him.

-Bball

denyfizle
12-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Danny is the best replacement for Artest. He is the opposite off the court but their hustle and willingness to give it all out on the floor are similar. Danny just needs to settle down and with the recent events would be encouraged by the other players to step up and do more so he will be ok.

ChicagoJ
12-14-2005, 03:25 PM
You guys are touching on my point.

I also want him to be put into the sink or swim situation now. And I think Rick will avoid that if at all possible, because we might win fewer meaningless games in December and Janaury. Rick's short-sightedness drives me nuts, that's well documented on here. I'd rather lose with Granger in December with some hope that he'll be much more comfortable in April.

So I would prefer that whatever we get in return for Artest "forces" Rick to play Granger more. Give the veteran the token start, I don't care about that. But Danny needs to be a 28+ minute per game guy now. Well, as long as Danny gets a sufficient number of minutes with the rest of the first team then somebody else can get the token start.