View Full Version : What about the Timing of a trade? A couple of questions.

12-14-2005, 01:04 PM
What I'm thinking about is should Donnie make a decision quickly, as in by the end of this week? Or should he wait, in essence try to increase his value by waiting until next week?

I think that it would be very risky for the Pacers to wait and get a job done. IMO, as time goes on, stories will start to surface about some of the stupid things that Ron has done in the past that we were never aware of.

As a matter of fact, people are starting to drop hints that there could've been a locker room fallout between JO and Artest. Didn't Artest say in a hip hop magazine article that on the Pacers most of his teammates didn't really care about his Rap ventures. Maybe this could've been a problem.

I really don't know what all has happened over the past 3 seasons but it's pretty clear that most people in the know believe that Ron was coddled and given more chances than most by the Pacers. Reggie's comment that if Ron couldn't "succeed with the Pacers he can't succeed anywhere," and Rod Thorn alluding to other issues within the lockerroom scaring him away from Artest could lend a little credence to this argument.

Mainly my questions have to do with the belief that stories will begin to leak if this situation drags on, further lowering his value. Right now (meaning today) might be the best opportunity to get the most value for Ron because it seems that a lot of people don't quite know how much of a nutcase Ron is. Especially the fans and players of other teams (except Detroit and Chicago of course).

Am I off-base on this? Am I just being paranoid? Is sooner-than-later a good motive for getting a trade done?

12-14-2005, 01:08 PM
Strike while the iron is hot.

Slick Pinkham
12-14-2005, 01:09 PM
By Monday it will be done.

12-14-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm certain that we will start to hear a LOT more of the story if we let this drag out. I'm kind of eager to see just how much of a cancer he was around the guys.

even if we don't let it go on, we're going to start to hear tons of stuff.

I'm certain DW will try to keep a lid on it though.

Will Galen
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
By Monday it will be done.

I think the chose will be announced Monday.

12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
On the other hand, a "lockerroom fallout - and we're sticking with JO" story might be more appealing to another GM than "he's utterly uncoachable". And Ron's announcement that he wanted a trade was also an announcement to the rest of the coaches in the league that "I can be your worst nightmare - a highly skilled but also very selfish and uncoachable fruitcake."

Besides, there have been rumors of this rift between Ron and JO for years, and it was confirmed by JO earlier in the season/ preseason that they never had any type of relationship in the past.

However, I mentioned in another thread, there's no reason for this to take very long. This is like an auction and I think it will move fast because the Pacers won't want to be shorthanded for long (and if they request the other teams hold their players out of games while the offers are pending then they'll want to move quickly, too.)

12-14-2005, 01:15 PM
I think the chose will be announced Monday.

"The chosen one" Maybe that should be the nickname of our next player. Or is that one still taken?

12-14-2005, 02:47 PM
They need to do it as quick as possible...

Kinda like Ebaying a hot or limited item. Set it for a short term with no reserve so the buyer knows if they put out their best offer they have a good chance at getting it done.

Hell, Donnie should have just put Ron ron on Ebay and let the trade play its self out.

12-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I think a deal will be finalized and reported as such next Tuesday or Wednesday, but on Monday we all will know the deal.

12-14-2005, 03:22 PM
I think it would be dumb to wait. You never know what Artest is going to do next... he could even screw up his own trade by opening his mouth at the wrong time.

12-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I think he'll be gone before they play the Jazz Friday night. My guess is DW is waiting until the trade moratorium is lifted tomorrow to see what offers he gets.

If this drags on through the weekend, it'll be just another distraction for the team. That and I'm afraid his value will start to diminish if this stretches beyond the week.

12-14-2005, 03:34 PM
I think it would be dumb to wait. You never know what Artest is going to do next... he could even screw up his own trade by opening his mouth at the wrong time.

Good point. His agent has already started to try and sabotage things in NY's favor by saying (paraphrasing): "I you want Ron for two years that's fine but he's going to NY once he becomes a free agent."

Why'd you have to go and say that? Now I'm getting all paranoid. :uhoh:

12-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Strike while the iron is hot?? I think right now the iron's been out in the snow.

12-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Anybody else think today is the day? I have a good feeling that something will get done today.

JO admitted that for the last 72 hours all anyone on the team can talk about is Ron. I'm sure that's making business hard for the Pacers. For them to completely move on, they need to find out who is gone, who or whom are coming in return, and when.

Even with Ron gone he's still a distraction as long as this trade issue is unresolved.

12-15-2005, 01:02 PM
I think nothing will be finalized or formally announced until. Monday or Tuesday

12-15-2005, 01:07 PM
I think its tomorrow, although it may be first reported on TNT tonight.

12-15-2005, 01:23 PM
I'm not sure what will be announced but I was listening to David and Reg from the other thread and there's supposed to be more on it tonight on TNT.