PDA

View Full Version : Star, Wells: Pacers New Starting Lineup (and injury report)

Bball
12-14-2005, 04:57 AM
Pacers' new starting lineup

Anthony Johnson
S. Jasikevicius
Stephen Jackson
Jermaine O'Neal
Jeff Foster

Today's game
Who: Pacers (12-7) at Celtics (8-12).
When: 7:30 p.m.
TV: WTTV-4.
Radio: WIBC-1070 AM.

PLAYERS TO WATCH
Pacers -- Danny Granger likely won't be a starter for some time, but the rookie's role has become even more important now that Ron Artest's days with the team appear to be numbered. It's been an up-and-down season for Granger. He had a promising preseason but hasn't played much. He is back in the rotation, however, averaging 26 minutes in the past three games.
Celtics -- Paul Pierce is one of the premier players in the league. Though he is the team's leading scorer, Pierce doesn't lead the Celtics in shot attempts. That honor belongs to Ricky Davis. Pierce is on pace to average a career high in points. He's sixth in the league in scoring and he has a knack for getting to the free throw line, where he's third in the league in attempts and makes.

SERIES TREND
The Pacers and Celtics have met in the playoffs the past three years. This is their first meeting this season. Just like in the playoff series last year, the Pacers will be without Artest. Winning on Boston's home court hasn't been a problem. The Pacers won three of their four games on Boston's home court in the playoffs. Celtics coach Doc Rivers has said Jamaal Tinsley was the key last year. He's not expected to play tonight.

INJURY UPDATE
Tinsley (groin) said he'll be back in the lineup Friday and forward Austin Croshere (back) said he's questionable tonight.

-- Mike Wells
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051214/SPORTS04/512140468

Kstat
12-14-2005, 05:01 AM
That is one tiny backcourt....

Bball
12-14-2005, 05:03 AM
Bball would've started Freddie and Sarunas...
And Bball would've had a small backcourt too

But then that isn't much firepower from the bench is it?

I'm just not sure I like Sarunas as the SG. It seems a waste of his talents in one way... and a potential mismatch on the defensive end in another...

And according to Mike Wells in the other article I posted, AJ is the starting PG and Sarunas SG.

I don't know what happens when/if Tinsley returns from injury.

-Bball

Bball
12-14-2005, 05:07 AM
That is one tiny backcourt....

It's not the size of your backcourt... it's how you use it! :tongue:

-Bball

FreshPrince22
12-14-2005, 05:12 AM
Why not...

PG- Yall got some cabbages
SG- Jackson
SF- Granger
PF- JO
C- Foster

Seems like Cabbages is gonna get burned by Ricky pretty frequently (or will they put AJ on him?)

Kstat
12-14-2005, 05:14 AM
Why not...

PG- Yall got some cabbages
SG- Jackson
SF- Granger
PF- JO
C- Foster

Seems like Cabbages is gonna get burned by Ricky pretty frequently (or will they put AJ on him?)

Granger hasn't been offensively reliable enough to start. It'd be too much scoring burden on two guys.

Also, you can't start 2 rookies.

FreshPrince22
12-14-2005, 05:25 AM
Granger hasn't been offensively reliable enough to start. It'd be too much scoring burden on two guys.

Also, you can't start 2 rookies.

I have a hard time thinking of Saras a "rookie" with all of the experience he has. And Granger may be a rookie, but wasn't he supposed to be "NBA Ready"? Or whatever that means. Besides, AJ is only averaging a whopping 4.6ppg on 39% shooting anyways. At least this way you don't have a big mismatch at SG.

Lithfan
12-14-2005, 05:44 AM
I think this is good line-up. Change AJ to Tinsley and it will be OK. Saras is best when there is someone that can cross the field with the ball (AJ or Tins) and then give it to him. In last game he handled 9 assist playing in second guard position.

skyfire
12-14-2005, 06:24 AM
I'd prefer:

Saras/Jax/Granger/Cro/JO for the moment, until Fiesty is properly healthy.

If we are going to do anything in the playoffs Granger had better be a starter by the end of the season. For him to get there Rick's gotta get him the minutes.

Naptown Seth
12-14-2005, 06:29 AM
I like that lineup as well. One of the main reasons I like it is that it should get Saras more shots. You can't waste a near 95/50/50 guy's talents by only giving him 5 shots a game.

317Kim
12-14-2005, 06:34 AM
Glad to hear Tins will be back on Friday..at home.

I agree, just insert Jamaal where AJ is and we'll be fine. Who's gonna replace AJ at PG? Is Runi gonna take heavy minutes or is Gill gonna play a bit...? IF Cro plays tonight, he'll replace JO at PF right?

Naptown Seth
12-14-2005, 06:41 AM
I like either of those 3 lineups better.....
Saraunas Jasikevicius - Stephen Jackson - Peja Stojakovic - Jermaine O'Neal - Jeff Foster
Saraunas Jasikevicius - Stephen Jackson - Lamar Odom - Jermaine O'Neal - Jeff Foster
Jamaal Tinsley - Saraunas Jasikevicius - Stephen Jackson - Lamar Odom - Jermaine O'Neal