PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Media Have Shorter Fuse than Indiana?.. Cavs vs Hawks- Brown questioned

Bball
12-14-2005, 12:19 AM
I found the tone of this article interesting... especially this early in what you'd think would be a honeymoon period. The highlights are by me but really, I could've highlighted much more.

It's not that anyone is calling for Brown's head, but pointing out flaws in the team and strategies seems foreign to someone like me who's used to the Indy press. Especially this soon and with a team with a winning record. But maybe this is a one-off article and a skewed view. In any case, many times you could replace the name Brown with Carlisle in these sentences and they'd start looking awfully familiar to us here.

Time to use time as reward

By Terry Pluto

CLEVELAND - The Cavaliers look like a bunch of guys who showed up for a pickup game, and most of them had never seen each other before. Nor do they seem especially interested in figuring out how to play together.

That's how they lost 100-94 to Atlanta, and did it on their home court.

This is the first real crisis for rookie coach Mike Brown. His team has lost three in a row, 7-of-9. If you look at the standings today, you discover that the 11-9 Cavs have a 2-8 record against teams with a winning record.

And Tuesday at Quicken Loans Arena, they lost to the 4-16 Hawks.

From the moment he took the job, Brown has been stressing defense. With the exception of Eric Snow, there's not a single player on the team who seems dedicated to defending.

Larry Hughes was first-team All-NBA defense honoree a year ago with Washington, but he just seems uncertain -- be it with the ball, or when the other team is trying to score.

The other free-agent signings got their money by putting the ball in the basket: Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones and Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Other coaches have complained about Drew Gooden's defense, and that remains a sore spot.

These guys don't help each other. If you throw a couple of passes against the Cavs, you will get an open shot. If you drive to the basket, the odds are no one will leave their man to block the lane. If you are reasonably patient on offense against the Cavs, you'll win.

Even the last place, sad-sack Hawks proved that.

Please, no excuses about Ilgauskas missing the game with a sore knee. The alarm has been blaring for weeks. The Cavs have slipped back into the same destructive patterns that ended last season.

They are passive on defense, and that probably won't change until they change the roster. The team needs a power forward who is dedicated to rebounding, defending and doesn't care about scoring.

Ron Artest is a talent, but you have to wonder about a guy who doesn't want to play for the Indiana Pacers, one of the few teams that can legitimately contend for a title. It's too bad that Anderson Varejao remains out indefinitely with his shoulder injury, because his energy and determined rebounding would be an asset.

The Cavs have two choices as they approach the quarter pole of the NBA season:

• They change their philosophy and become more of a run-and-gun team much like the Phoenix Suns, where the goal isn't so much to stop the other team as to force them to shoot quickly;

• Or General Manager Danny Ferry goes on a shopping trip to acquire a defensive-oriented big man.

Right now they are stunted on defense, stagnant on offense.

They throw the ball to LeBron James, then expect him to do something. In the last six games, he's averaging 45 minutes, 25 shots and 36 points. That's too many minutes and too many shots. When most players are on the court that long and trying to do so much, they tend to relax on the defensive end.

James is trying desperately to carry the team out of its ``funk,` to use his own diagnosis after the game.

But James can't do it by himself. Nor can he make a consistent defensive impact if so much of the scoring rests on his shoulders.

It seems evident some of the players are not happy about their minutes, shots and general roles. That happens when players come from so many different teams to an organization that has not won a playoff series in 12 years.

Brown is discovering this is not Indiana or San Antonio, his last two stops where discipline, defense and a winning tradition were in place before he arrived as an assistant.

He is going to have to get tough, playing the guys who do what he wants -- benching some others. The only thing that speaks to players in times like this is time on the court.

Brown now has to use it, and use it to make a point. And it might be time for Ferry to consider his team chemistry, make a few calls and perhaps add some new spice to the playoff stew that he's trying to cook up.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/13401112.htm

Shade
12-14-2005, 12:22 AM
On NBA Coast to Coast tonight, they were talking about MB being on the hot seat. They should just fire his *** so he can come back to Indy. ;)

pacerwaala
12-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Too early to pile on but I always thought (my posts on this topic would show that) MB would not become that great of a head coach! He is a darn good assistant coach though. I however wish him luck for all he did for us.

Bball
12-14-2005, 12:29 AM
I have to admit, I hadn't paid much attention to the Cavs after we'd played them so I assumed it was all still "peaches and gravy" for Mike Brown right now.

Where's Kegboy? I expect a fuller report because I assume he's been following them.

-Bball

Jermaniac
12-14-2005, 12:40 AM
I hope he gets fired, so he can come back here.

Kstat
12-14-2005, 02:15 AM
The Cavs are poorly-constructed. James and Illgauskus are the only Cavs that compliment each other. The rest of them are just solo acts.

FreshPrince22
12-14-2005, 03:02 AM
I told everyone this team was overrated. They have probably the worst collection of defensive players in the history of the NBA. Eric Snow is the only decent defender on that team. Lebron is awful. Combine that with Hughes and you have "Gamble Defense X2". It's nice for highlight reels, sh*tty for winning games. Then add Gooden, Z, Marshall, and Damon Jones as the other key components, and you can easily see why they suck. Damon Jones is quite possibly the worst defender of all time. He and Mike Brown got into it in the middle of the game today after Tyronn Lue started torching him, and I just couldn't help but laugh.

If you can't stop anyone, you're going to lose.

Jon Theodore
12-14-2005, 03:30 AM
I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a player as much as I do Damon Jones. And why does Larry Hughes have so much hype about his defensive abilities?

Kstat
12-14-2005, 03:32 AM
Nobody likes Damon Jones. He overrates himself more than any player in the NBA, and that's saying a lot.

Hughes is actually a pretty good defender. He's just not great.

skyfire
12-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Yea the cavs team was put together without any perspective. They just plugged the percieved holes, but did so with very one dimensional players.

Lets get a good perimeter defender, Larry Hughes wants a big deal... GREAT!
Hmm...we're short on 3pt shooting, lets get Donyell Marshall, i'm sure he'll space the floor great for LeBron.
We need a PG, oh well we lost out on Saras, Damon Jones shoots almost as well. Too bad about his ego and the fact that he is a SG in a PGs body.
Nobody will give us anything worthwhile for Drew Gooden, that means our front court cant play defense worth a damn....oh well we're out of cap space, i guess we'll have to go with what we've got.

If this team crashes and burns, where do the odds stand on LeBron staying a Cav when his contract is up?

Bball
12-14-2005, 03:51 AM
So you guys are saying people can quit worrying that Sarunas might wish he had chosen the Cavs instead of the Pacers?

-Bball

Naptown Seth
12-14-2005, 04:46 AM
I don't think it's possible for me to dislike a player as much as I do Damon Jones. And why does Larry Hughes have so much hype about his defensive abilities?
Because he picks up a ton of steals.

Will Galen
12-14-2005, 05:36 AM
Nobody likes Damon Jones. He overrates himself more than any player in the NBA, and that's saying a lot.

Sprewell comes to mind. Remember he turned down a $7 million per year contract because his family has to eat, and now can't find a team that wants him.

Fool
12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
This dude gets my vote.
http://www.randz.net/images/post_images/vladimir-radmanovic.jpg

And not only because of his bad Don Johnson impersonations.
http://www.stormfans.org/gallery/gallery_04/52004/images/P1010424.jpg

Unclebuck
12-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Terry Pluto is a columnist but he knows NBA basketball as well as any writer in the country. I respect his opinions.

I watched the Cavs game last night and Brown looked very stressed. But any team with Z, Marshall and Gooden as your inside people is going to be horrible defensively. MB is probably longing for Jeff Foster, (just kidding). But I look fort the Cavs to make some changes

Hicks
12-14-2005, 09:06 AM
Hopefully they (wrongly) blame their failure (if it continues throughout the season) on Mike, and he's available to come back here (if Larry chooses to part ways with Rick).

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Just curious Hicks, but why would you mention Larry parting ways with Rick? I don't understand how everyone can be singing his praises just last year and then all of a sudden he's not worth hanging onto? that's crazy...

MagicRat
12-14-2005, 09:19 AM

When the site was down, I posted on the back-up PD site about Damon Jones' appearance on Full Court Press:

He was grumbling a bit about not starting over Eric Snow. Kenny Smith said just to give it some time, since he was new to the team and the team had a new GM and coach.

Damon's response: "They got cable! Danny Ferry and Mike Brown got cable!", implying that what they saw on the tube last year should be enough to get him the starting job.

He later declared himself the best shooter on the planet.......

I listened to a little of the Cavs radio broadcast last night while I was out and about, and Joe Tait claimed they looked like they were auditioning for Night of the Living Dead.........

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Sprewell comes to mind. Remember he turned down a $7 million per year contract because his family has to eat, and now can't find a team that wants him.

Wasn't it 9 million? 27 million over 3 years?

As for the thread title, EVERYONE has a shorter fuse than Indy media - and Indy fans.

As Ron Artest will find out one day soon.

Kegboy
12-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Where's Kegboy? I expect a fuller report because I assume he's been following them.

Sorry. As I said in my Ode To Mike thread, I'm having a hard enough time keeping up with the Pacers.

That said, I think there are two concerns when it comes to the Cavs. One, their roster is poorly constructed, as pointed out. Two, their assistants are ****-poor. Mike ain't Larry Brown, he can't do everything by himself. If only Portland hadn't ****ed around with Tim Grg. :shakehead: