PDA

View Full Version : Some quick "insider" news

JBones19
12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
From Adam Schefters Indy blog for NFL.com, he is staying in Indy until the Colts lose and had a little get together today at St. Elmo's with some people you guys may know-http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9080515

"Spent all of Tuesday afternoon at St. Elmo's steakhouse, recording a roundtable discussion of the Colts' historical season with Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh, Indianapolis mayor Bart Peterson, Indianapolis Star columnist Bob Kravitz, and one of the St. Elmo's bartenders, Brett Wood.

Each had better things to do than spend a good 90 minutes with me, but each, in his own way, was great.

Donnie Walsh was in the middle of Ron Artest trade talks and actually didn't take any calls from any NBA general managers while taping the segments that are scheduled to air on NFL Total Access on NFL Network on Friday and Saturday nights.

But this much I derived from my talks with Walsh about Artest. A trade is going to be made. Teams are offering him fair value. And it pains Walsh to have to trade a player that he deems a superior talent, one of the best in the league. Still, it's going to get done. "

At least we may get fair value back.
-J

Shade
12-14-2005, 12:57 AM
But this much I derived from my talks with Walsh about Artest. A trade is going to be made. Teams are offering him fair value.

I really hope that's true. :thumbsup:

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 01:02 AM
The big Story there is Kravitz and Walsh... after he ripped everyone associated with the Organization ?...... ;) I am guessing they did not sit across from one another

Ragnar
12-14-2005, 01:09 AM
The odd thing is that now many teams will up his value by trying to keep him off their rivals.

Hoop
12-14-2005, 01:35 AM
That's awesome news if it's true. Maybe the Odom's or Peja's are legit possibilities instead of the MoPetes of the NBA.

dervos
12-14-2005, 11:21 AM
thats great to hear....im guessing we wont be having to settle for Olowakandi or Voshon Lenard now

I guess that depends how you define fair value, doesn't it?

Last I checked neither of those guys spent the last 2 years self-destructing in the conference finals & then getting a season- long suspension for assaulting a fan.

The uninsured Baron Davis trade is the closest we've got for comparison, and Baron was a much safer risk than Ron. What did he get traded for again? I forget if it was one or two bags of chips.

Another comparison is Spree to Minny. What did NY get again? Yes, Spree was older - he'd also proven himself on the court in NY and built a reputation as a good locker room guy - a rep he still has.

The third comparison would be Rasheed, which has been talked about plenty - but frankly Sheed's baggage/talent/risk equation wasn't on the same stratosphere as Ron's. He was at the end of his contract.

I know everyone wants to hope for the best, but Pacers fans of all people should know the risk a team is taking if they take on Ron. It's not like Baron, where worst case scenario is he never plays again, you buy him out, and move on. Ron is capable of taking half his team with him and getting the franchise's logo pasted permanently into the center of David Stern's dartboard of wrath.

Best, reasonable hope for the Pacers is probably an expiring deal + a young player who might grow into something decent. A James Jones type maybe :-p Anything more and Donnie & Larry should be up there fighting with Mr Colangelo for execs of the year.

able
12-14-2005, 11:24 AM
with at least 15 teams in the mix to get the guy (certainly more the for davis or any of your examples) price is very likely to be up high instead of low, there's only one of him to trade and there are a bunch of buyers out there, for various reasons, simple trade mechanism

scar
12-14-2005, 11:29 AM
O
D
O
M
!

Man do I want Odom!

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 11:30 AM
Another difference is that Baron had a rocky last season in New Orleans if I remember right, he missed a lot of games and didn't play all that well... so when he moved on teams were afraid that he wouldn't play well or that he would get injured again. With Ron there is a threat that he could do something really stupid again, but since it's an issue with behavior which CAN be changed (at least with most people, not necessarily Ron) verus health which is oftentimes out of a player's hands, Ron might actually be less of a risk. Plus, most people would agree that Ron brings more to a basketball team and can turn a team into a contender or at least a very good club.

Harmonica
12-14-2005, 11:40 AM
with at least 15 teams in the mix to get the guy (certainly more the for davis or any of your examples) price is very likely to be up high instead of low, there's only one of him to trade and there are a bunch of buyers out there, for various reasons, simple trade mechanism

Where did you get that there are "at least 15 teams in the mix to get the guy?"

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 11:42 AM
Donnie Walsh quote in another thread

Suaveness
12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
There was an article...I can't recall now, that at least 15 teams have acquired...

Knucklehead Warrior
12-14-2005, 11:48 AM
I am seldom surprised by what some think. There is always a minority group who disagree with what you yourself consider obvious.

Over the summer I believe there was thread along the lines of "What would RA have to do to make you want him off the team?" A couple people as I recall mentioned murder. In a recent PD poll, 25% don't want RA traded even now.

Take it to the bank --- there are GMs out there in special "my neck is hanging out" situations who are salivating to get RA. I think they're morons and they may feel anxious about it, but I remember how there was a large faction of fans who thought sprewell would never play again after his suspension, but look what happened.

I hope whoever gets him gets burned badly. Not for ron's sake or for their decision, but because I am sick and tired of athletes being whiners.