PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: Pacers might want to include hefty contract of Bender in trade-Cavs

Bball
12-14-2005, 12:01 AM
Artest demands trade, wants to back up LeBron

Indiana Pacers star Ron Artest kicked off a firestorm Sunday, demanding a trade in an interview with The Indianapolis Star.

What is going to catch the eye of Cleveland Cavaliers fans is this quote:

"I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James."

It will lead to plenty of talk-show fodder, but some realism is in order.

First, it isn't, yet, clear if the Pacers would honor his request.

Second, even if they did, it is highly doubtful they'd trade him to a team within their division.

Third, a league insider said the Cavs leadership has serious questions about his character. This is despite Artest's great defensive reputation and his history with Cavs coach Mike Brown, who was an assistant for two seasons with the Pacers. This is not a surprise; every team would have such issues.

Fourth, it is doubtful the Cavs would be willing to give up one of their prime assets for Artest. Even though he's the sort of defensive enforcer Brown favors, James, Larry Hughes and Zydrunas Ilgauskas are probably untouchables at this stage.

Artest makes $6.5 million, so he's easily tradable under league rules. The Cavs' most tradable assets are Drew Gooden and, perhaps, Luke Jackson, whom the Pacers coveted in the draft two years ago. The Pacers likely would demand much more for the former All-Star and also might want to include the hefty contract of the permanently injured Jonathan Bender.

Of course, there's a lot of wiggle room in those tenets, and the Cavs will no doubt have internal discussions and likely make inquiring calls to the Pacers like virtually every other team in the league. The national focus will be on the New York Knicks, Artest's hometown and where he said in the interview he preferred to end up. -- knight ridder

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/13386942.htm

Shade
12-14-2005, 12:04 AM
That would explain why Bender hasn't yet announced his retirement.

Shade
12-14-2005, 12:07 AM
:thepacers get:
Lamar Odom
Slava Medvedenko

:lakers: get:
Ron Artest
Jonathan Bender

Slava is an expiring contract at the end of the year.

Jermaniac
12-14-2005, 12:10 AM
If we dont get Larry Hughes back from the Cavs, there is no reason AT ALL to trade with them, and it would be very stupid.

Pacersfan.
12-14-2005, 12:13 AM
If we dont get Larry Hughes back from the Cavs, there is no reason AT ALL to trade with them, and it would be very stupid.

We don't trade with Cleveland period. Think of Lebron and Artest together.

FreshPrince22
12-14-2005, 12:22 AM
A lopsided trade with the Cavs teaming up Lebron and Artest (not to mention Hughes and Z) would be suicide for the next 5-10 years. I pray your GM isn't that stupid.

Dr Huxtable
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
A lopsided trade with the Cavs teaming up Lebron and Artest (not to mention Hughes and Z) would be suicide for the next 10-15 years. I pray your GM isn't that stupid.

Who would we reasonably want to trade Ron for on the Cavs, other than the three players you mentioned? Maybe Donyell Marshall, but why do that if Odom is available? The only reasons the Cavs are even being mentioned in trade rumors is because that's one place Ron says he wants to go to, and I really don't think that they will do what Ron wants, especially if they're in the same division.

skyfire
12-14-2005, 12:25 AM
Why is Bender's contract "hefty" if he is going to get medical insurance to cover it when he retires?

Bball
12-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Why is Bender's contract "hefty" if he is going to get medical insurance to cover it when he retires?

How does the coverage work? Does it follow the player or is it coverage the team has?

Heck, I'm still confused if Bender can even be involved in a trade right now. It seemed like the reporter was speculating that part more than reporting so who knows if he had wind of something or was talking out his azz...

-Bball

Unclebuck
12-14-2005, 12:34 AM
OK, so the Cavs wouyld trade for Ron but they won't give up Hughes, Lebron or Z. What are they willing to give up Snow and Marshall. Yeh right

PacerMan
12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
We don't trade with Cleveland period. Think of Lebron and Artest together.

Why, he'd ***** up Lebron real good. :)

Jose Slaughter
12-14-2005, 12:48 AM
Damon Jones 3,500,000

Luke Jackson 1,955,160

Anderson Varejao 866,800

Total 6,321,960

Bender retires
Gill is waived
Walker sticks around til Varejao gets back in a couple months.

I would do this so fast it wouldn't be funny.

Shade
12-14-2005, 12:50 AM
We really don't need more depth. We just need the best talent we can get to plug into Ron's old spot.

Naptown Seth
12-14-2005, 05:30 AM
A lopsided trade with the Cavs teaming up Lebron and Artest (not to mention Hughes and Z) would be suicide for the next 5-10 years. I pray your GM isn't that stupid.
Ron would destroy the Cavs from the inside out.