PDA

View Full Version : NBA Coast to Coast: More stuff about Ron on ESPN 2 right now!

Shade
12-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Quotes upcoming...

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 10:28 PM
Says phones have been ringing off the hook for the Pacers and there are desperate teams that will trade for Ron. WE WANT AL

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
Mark Stein: Pacer phones are ringing off the hook. Lakers and Nuggets are the two teams most interested right now.
Pacers are looking for a younf prospect

Bucher: Trouble between J.O and Ron. Ron thought he was better and should have been the number 1 option. Saod he would love to share some locker room stories about Ron's time with the Pacers, but they are suitable for TV

Legler: gave the old tired refrain about Ron. He was clearly using old material

Shade
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM
I only came in on the middle, but some stuff I overheard (paraphrased):

"Ron would start fights in the locker room (at St. John's) almost every day."

"Some stories about Ron (at St. John's) are rivaled only by those from the Pacers' locker room."

"The Pacers will likely look to trade Ron to the West first."

"The Lakers and Nuggets are interested."

"The Pacers' phones have been ringing off the hook from desperate teams."

"The Lakers inquired about Ron's availability in the offseason, shortly after Phil Jackson returned."

"Ron and JO were not getting along. Problems between the two may have led to the trade request."

Jon Theodore
12-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Odom is such a solid trade, if we can weasel a draft pick...this doesnt even matter.

Young
12-13-2005, 10:35 PM
Odom is a nice talent and all but would he be a good fit for this team offenseively? He has to have the ball in his hands to make an impact and I don't know that the team needs another guy who needs the ball. We already saw that with Tinsley, Ron, Jackson, and JO that it is to many guys who need the ball and I don't think Odom would help that problem.

Pacers#1Fan
12-13-2005, 10:37 PM
I think this will turn out to be a three team trade for us to get what we want.

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 10:40 PM
I think this will turn out to be a three team trade for us to get what we want.
I see a three team trade, but not to get what we want. It could be to get RID OF what we want.

Isaac
12-13-2005, 10:40 PM
What could we be getting from the Nuggets?

It says we're looking for young prospects, but what do the Nugs have to offer us in that department?

Same thing with the Lakers, I don't really think Odom qualifys as a young prospect.

I'm sure its just an incorrect statement, but if we trade Ron for Andrew Bynum, Julius Hodge or someone like that, I'll be the next one off the cliff.

Young
12-13-2005, 10:42 PM
I'm sure its just an incorrect statement, but if we trade Ron for Andrew Bynum, Julius Hodge or someone like that, I'll be the next one off the cliff.

The snow will cushion your fall.

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Same thing with the Lakers, I don't really think Odom qualifys as a young prospect.

Smush?

tadscout
12-13-2005, 10:44 PM
What could we be getting from the Nuggets?

It says we're looking for young prospects, but what do the Nugs have to offer us in that department?

They said those are the teams most interested in Artest... NOT the teams we are most interested in trading to...

Kegboy
12-13-2005, 10:45 PM
I would be thrilled if we got Bynum. Thrilled. I'll bet money Donnie's asked for him.

Isaac
12-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Smush?

Horray!! Another point guard!! :suicide:

I know this isn't actually a rumor, but does anyone else feel like these Ron rumors are such a rollar coaster? One minute we're hearing Odom, Lewis, Al, even Peja, all these good players, then the next we're hearing Olowokandi, Vashon Leonard and Antonio Davis.

I just hope Larry and Donnie have what it takes to pull off one of the first group.

microwave_oven
12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
I see a three team trade, but not to get what we want. It could be to get RID OF what we want.

Donny and Larry will not pull the trigger simply to get rid of Ron...they will keep him out of Conseco until they find a perfect trade.

Arcadian
12-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Odom is a nice talent and all but would he be a good fit for this team offenseively? He has to have the ball in his hands to make an impact and I don't know that the team needs another guy who needs the ball. We already saw that with Tinsley, Ron, Jackson, and JO that it is to many guys who need the ball and I don't think Odom would help that problem.

Where Odom will play could be problematic. His need for touches won't. He isn't a player who needs to put up shots. He is a player who does the little stuff and plays smart. He would be a great player to have on the court with Saras because of his ball handling ability. In fact were he to come to the Pacers I would be on the trade Tins bandwagon. Odom would make AJ a good point guard.

Bynum would be a great trade as well. I don't know how the salaries would match though. The rest of the Laker team is trash.

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 10:51 PM
"Ron and JO were not getting along. Problems between the two may have led to the trade request."

Ah, the spin begins. Hopefully it'll work.

tadscout
12-13-2005, 11:11 PM
I have no clue what is true, but if Ron and JO had a issue, then that would be a shame.

I openly have grown tired of Ron, but thats a lack of leadership on O'Neals part if that is true.

You have to step up and say "We have a whole season to get through, we need you, blah blah blah"

Now I put a lot of blame on RC and his teammates also, probably even more.

Why wouldnt the coach/teammates step in? Were they tired of him as well?

Group dynamics are funny like that though.

WOOAAH this is still all childish Ron... he did the crime, it's his fault... He was the one not man enough to try to fix things... don't try spreading blame where it isn't due.

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 11:12 PM
How many times does Jermaine need to try to make Ron Artest feel like a part of this team? This was never Jermaine's fault, it is very clear that Ron is mad that he isnt what JO is, and he hates JO because of it.

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Smush?

Darn you beat me to it....

Isaac
12-13-2005, 11:19 PM
How many times does Jermaine need to try to make Ron Artest feel like a part of this team? This was never Jermaine's fault, it is very clear that Ron is mad that he isnt what JO is, and he hates JO because of it.

Five days ago I would have completely rejected this statement, but now, I'm in total agreement.

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Its been clear to me since the day it was reported that Jermaine and Ron didnt like each other.

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 11:22 PM
Nets listening to offer for Jason Kidd.

Edit: Artest thought he was better than J.O. and you could make an argument that he was better. I'm sure J.O. didn't like that, especially when Ron caused all the problems and yet many thought Ron was better

Kstat
12-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Nets listening to offer for Jason Kidd

Maybe the Celtics will offer Bob Cousey.....

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Nets listening to offer for Jason KiddWe shouldnt even call the Nets.

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Nets listening to offer for Jason Kidd.

Edit: Artest thought he was better than J.O. and you could make an argument that he was better. I'm sure J.O. didn't like that, especially when Ron caused all the problems and yet many thought Ron was better
Where did you hear this?

EDIT: the kidd part?

pizza guy
12-13-2005, 11:25 PM
Sign me up for the "I'd trade for Odom in a heartbeat" bandwagon. He's a good player, and putting him with JO is quite the prospect. Heck, at this point, Tinsley (who I so adamently wanted traded) is looking like gold compared to Artest. I'm so ready to ship Artest out of here that I'd take roughly anyone who has the ability to stand, run, and maybe even box out, but that's gettin' greedy.

I know, we need some value in return, but I think JVicius said it best, "We can give up talent for team chemistry," Jasikevicius said. "That's way more important than talent. We're going to find a way. If we can continue to play as a team, to hustle for 48 minutes and do all the little things, I think we have the talent to go very far."

Evan_The_Dude
12-13-2005, 11:26 PM
Rons gonna end up being on of those guys trying to make a comeback at the age of 36 after being out of the game for 3 years, just so he can re-live the basketball career he took for granted...

Kstat
12-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Kidd for Artest will never, ever, ever happen.

They are already the most overloaded team in the NBA at SF.

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 11:29 PM
Rons gonna end up being on of those guys trying to make a comeback at the age of 36 after being out of the game for 3 years, just so he can re-live the basketball career he took for granted...
YUP.

sweabs
12-13-2005, 11:29 PM
The Nets are going to be looking for someone who can consistently stick the outside jumper.

Oh yeah, and some frontcourt help. Basically ANYONE is better than what they have right now down low.

Pacersfan.
12-13-2005, 11:30 PM
Kidd's salary is really too huge.

Bball
12-13-2005, 11:35 PM

That's really sad... but he does seem on that type of path and I never really thought about that- A moment when he 'gets it' but it's too late and he's only a shell of his former self.

-Bball

sweabs
12-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Does anyone think the Nets would entertain a deal regarding Richard Jefferson?

They once again got obliterated tonight, to an Arenas-less Wizards team.

I'm not sure? Perhaps a 3-team deal involving Jefferson to us, Kidd somewhere else, Artest and Tinsley to the Nets? Just throwing this out there...

Kstat
12-13-2005, 11:43 PM
Do you honestly think Ron would share with Vince? I don't.

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I think Ron would make Vince his *****.

sweabs
12-13-2005, 11:46 PM

Well, I don't think it will happen with Kobe either and the Lakers seem to be interested?

Just a thought...

Aw Heck
12-13-2005, 11:48 PM

It's not what we think that matters. It's what Rod Thorn thinks...

:D

Shade
12-13-2005, 11:58 PM

Quite simply, Ron doesn't want to play second fiddle to JO because Ron feels he's a better player than JO. And he may be right. However, this also proves that Ron is all about him, rather than the team.

I guess, then, he wouldn't mind playing behind LeBron because he feels LBJ is better than him (which he is).

And he doesn't like playing for Rick because Rick makes JO the focal point of the offense.

Also, JO makes waaaaay more money than Ron.

It's all starting to make sense now.

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Does anyone think the Nets would entertain a deal regarding Richard Jefferson?

They once again got obliterated tonight, to an Arenas-less Wizards team.

I'm not sure? Perhaps a 3-team deal involving Jefferson to us, Kidd somewhere else, Artest and Tinsley to the Nets? Just throwing this out there...

I don't think you are too far off...with Jefferson although I think he is a Base Year player
I have seen alot mentioned lately of a potential need shake up, as mentioned they need some help up front. consistent shooting etc...

Naptown Seth
12-14-2005, 05:38 AM
I'd be happy with either Richard Jefferson or Vince Carter. But please no broken down, 34 year old Jason Kidd.

ReGGiesBoOmBaby
12-14-2005, 07:05 AM
How many times does Jermaine need to try to make Ron Artest feel like a part of this team?
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16252

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2005, 09:35 AM
I have no clue what is true, but if Ron and JO had a issue, then that would be a shame.

I openly have grown tired of Ron, but thats a lack of leadership on O'Neals part if that is true.

You have to step up and say "We have a whole season to get through, we need you, blah blah blah"

Now I put a lot of blame on RC and his teammates also, probably even more.

Why wouldnt the coach/teammates step in? Were they tired of him as well?

Group dynamics are funny like that though.

This is late in this thread but when there's a conflict between a rational person and a nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony I don't think the rational person should be blamed instead of the nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony.

naptownmenace
12-14-2005, 12:39 PM
This is late in this thread but when there's a conflict between a rational person and a nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony I don't think the rational person should be blamed instead of the nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony.

That's some sage wisdom right there!

BTW, I don't think Rod Thorn would touch Ron Artest with a 10-foot pole while wearing a Haz-Mat suit and radioactive gloves. You have to remember that he's cool with Stern and out of all the GMs in the league probably knows the most about Ron's dirty laundry in Indiana. Heck, he even said it himself that there are so many more issues with Ron than just the ones that everyone knows about.

ABADays
12-14-2005, 02:08 PM
OK - I'm trying to put my list together. JO is supposedly the best player. But Ron thought he was better than JO. Jax is upset being the third option so who does he think he is better than - Ron or JO?

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think it was so much that Jax was upset about being the third option, I think he was upset that if you threw it into either JO or Ron, the ball was going towards the rim. That is something I noticed more about Ron this year, he went after his own shot more...

ChicagoJ
12-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I don't think it was so much that Jax was upset about being the third option, I think he was upset that if you threw it into either JO or Ron, the ball was going towards the rim. That is something I noticed more about Ron this year, he went after his own shot more...

Funny, because I thought Ron was really improving on that vs. previous seasons. His shot selection was certainly one of the variables in his various benchings for "conduct detrimental to winning."

I thought, this season, that Ron stayed within the offense except as a direct response to Stephen Jackson's forces shots. It appeared to me that Ron (and to a lesser extent JO and Tinsley) would respond to SJax's shot selection (or turnovers) with an approach of "oh crap, I better get my shots now because *he's* going into ballhog mode".

The chemistry between Tinsley, SJax, and Ron was obviously pretty bad. Still not sure what JO's role in that problem was or was not.

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2005, 04:41 PM
That's some sage wisdom right there!

Well, you know (blushes) every now and then I like to show off my education by throwing around complicated technical medical diagnostic terms.

heywoode
12-14-2005, 04:52 PM

...and to make some more money...

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
I guess you missed the post I made earlier in this thread. I explained my logic, at least I thought I did:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=293049&postcount=27

Didn't miss it at all. I posted to explain my perspective which is:

When there's a conflict between a rational person and a nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony I don't think the rational person should be blamed instead of the nutjob-psycho-headcase-fruitcake-loony.

If I'd agreed with you I might have posted, "I agree." or, "Yup."

Since I don't agree, the above is what I posted.

I could probably expand on this by explaining that in my opinion when a person is continually a problem in multiple places under multiple managers, particularly when those managers don't seem to be having problems with other people in the organization then I don't think blaming the manager in the latest situation for the problem is a realistic means of resolving the problem.

Some people are simply unemployable. Some people are unable to work in a team setting and are better off performing individual tasks. Some people may have very different philosophies from a given corporation and would best seek employment elsewhere.

Los Angeles
12-14-2005, 06:46 PM
Funny, because I thought Ron was really improving on that vs. previous seasons. His shot selection was certainly one of the variables in his various benchings for "conduct detrimental to winning."

I thought, this season, that Ron stayed within the offense except as a direct response to Stephen Jackson's forces shots. It appeared to me that Ron (and to a lesser extent JO and Tinsley) would respond to SJax's shot selection (or turnovers) with an approach of "oh crap, I better get my shots now because *he's* going into ballhog mode".

The chemistry between Tinsley, SJax, and Ron was obviously pretty bad. Still not sure what JO's role in that problem was or was not.
I agree that these three were often not on the same page.

The big question is this: will removing Ron alone solve the problem. Can this be a basic "addition by subtraction" situation?

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 07:09 PM
I hold a completely different philosophy than you vapacersfan. You seem to be advocating the style of business where management and the business changes to suit the employee. I personally believe that if the business and management have a specific goal in mind, with rules in place, then you do not change those for one employee. The employee either stays within the rules, or they don't belong.

Everyone may be employable, but not everyone fits into certain jobs. Someone who sucks at math would NOT make a good engineer, and it is not in the least the fault of management if the person could not excel at that job. Or for a more relevant example, if a CSR employee refused to be polite when they were helping out a customer, and management has done what they can to change this, then it is not the fault of the manager. People make their own choices, they control their own lives. To assign guilt to others is to say that people do not control their own life.

Mordecaii
12-14-2005, 07:15 PM
I should really learn that a few sentences or paragraphs usually can not express a person's full opinion on a subject... :)