PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo} Pacers' rookies to fill Artest's minutes

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 09:14 PM
i know to a degree some of this was already reported or assumed.
Looks like some new tidbits though.
If this was already posted let me know

Pacers' rookies to fill Artest's minutes
By CLIFF BRUNT, Associated Press Writer
December 13, 2005

AP - Dec 12, 3:08 pm EST
More Photos

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Sarunas Jasikevicius and Danny Granger will go from rookie role players to key contributors now that the Indiana Pacers are trying to trade Ron Artest. Artest said over the weekend he wants to be traded. Now, Jasikevicius and Granger stand to gain much of his playing time.

Jasikevicius already has stepped into the gap while several Pacers missed time with injuries. The 29-year-old guard from Lithuania has averaged 9.4 points and 2.9 assists, mostly as a reserve. He has started the last five games and averaged 11.4 points, 5.4 assists and 4.5 rebounds.

After winning three consecutive Euroleague championships, Jasikevicius joined the Pacers as a free agent because he felt they had the best chance to win a title. That is still possible without Artest, he said.

"We can give up talent for team chemistry," Jasikevicius said. "That's way more important than talent. We're going to find a way. If we can continue to play as a team, to hustle for 48 minutes and do all the little things, I think we have the talent to go very far."

Jasikevicius said he is happy with the team's 12-7 start.

"I cannot ask for a better first month and a half, really," he said. "If someone were to tell me when you come in it's going to be like this, I'd take it in a heartbeat."

Granger has subbed for Artest at small forward for much of the season. Indiana coach Rick Carlisle said Granger, the 17th pick in the draft, will be expected to contribute more at both small forward and power forward.

Granger, who started and had eight points and eight rebounds in a 111-87 win over Washington last Thursday, is excited about the chance to play a bigger role.

"I didn't expect it would be this much playing time, but it is open," he said. "I think it is sad to see what is happening to Ron, but it's an opportunity for me."

Carlisle hasn't sorted out the long-term effects on the lineup, but he likes the way things are going now. The Pacers have won big in their last two games without Artest.

Carlisle said Stephen Jackson will continue to play small forward and will be the No. 2 scoring option behind Jermaine O'Neal. Jackson had to do the same thing last season after Artest was suspended for 73 games and the playoffs because of his role in the brawl with Detroit Pistons fans. Jackson averaged a career-high 18.7 points in 51 games last season.

"Jack has been in this situation before and did, what I thought, was a terrific job given the circumstances," Carlisle said. "Not only is he the second scorer, he's a guy who's going to have to make plays for us, going to have to guard a lot of good players at the three position."

Jasikevicius said he won't worry about the lineup.

"I really have no idea. In this place, you just don't know how things will shake out."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-pacers-artest&prov=ap&type=lgns

ABADays
12-13-2005, 09:28 PM
Every time Cabbages opens his mouth I love him all the more.

Shade
12-13-2005, 09:30 PM
So...is Jack starting at the 3 or 2?

Shade
Every time Cabbages opens his mouth I love him all the more.

:amen:

Frank Slade
"We can give up talent for team chemistry," Jasikevicius said. "That's way more important than talent. We're going to find a way. If we can continue to play as a team, to hustle for 48 minutes and do all the little things, I think we have the talent to go very far."

:amen:

I did not see your post Shade..interesting..

Shade
12-13-2005, 09:33 PM
Didn't Donnie say that talent is the most important thing? Is Runi openly questioning Donnie? I guess we know who the other chemistry problem around here is now!

:sarcasm:

ABADays
12-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Didn't Donnie say that talent is the most important thing? Is Runi openly questioning Donnie? I guess we know who the other chemistry problem around here is now!

Mm hm - right :D

CableKC
12-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Yeah....at least Sarunas is being cool about it and is reasonable about what is happening. No one could have foreseen the iceberg called Artest that we should have avoided this last offseason.

ssmall
12-13-2005, 10:06 PM
I guess that answers what he thinks right now, and as i have guessed it is not "oh noes were screwed".

Pacers#1Fan
12-13-2005, 10:26 PM
Sarunas really is the short, white Reggie.

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 10:30 PM

He said at the START OF THE SEASON. BECAUSE there was time for chemistry to develop. Damn..........

Pacers#1Fan
12-13-2005, 10:39 PM
I can't wait to see Power Granger get some solid minutes. Hey Soup, this may be good for Hulk as well ;)

Kegboy
12-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Carlisle said Stephen Jackson will continue to play small forward and will be the No. 2 scoring option behind Jermaine O'Neal.

Well, we knew Rick wasn't gonna start Danny. The good news is this means more minutes for Cabbage at the 2.

Frank Slade
12-14-2005, 01:07 AM
Well, we knew Rick wasn't gonna start Danny. The good news is this means more minutes for Cabbage at the 2.

Yeah, I have no problem with Tinsley and Sarunas in the backcourt..
Danny like Harrison are going to just have to play so well in the minutes they are give to force Rick's hand eventually if they want to start apparently