PDA

View Full Version : What if ...

Pacesetter
12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
What if Ronnie didn't bring in a trade like a Channing Frye. Would anyone here support sitting Ronnie from now on out until a fantastic deal came or what?

I think that anything less than a phenomenal trade for a phenomenal player should be put on the back burners. Sit Ronnie before accepting something less than what he's worth. I mean, just listen to Ronnie talk about the "mismatches" he creates.

Any thoughts?

Eindar
12-13-2005, 07:19 PM
What if Ronnie didn't bring in a trade like a Channing Frye. Would anyone here support sitting Ronnie from now on out until a fantastic deal came or what?

I think that anything less than a phenomenal trade for a phenomenal player should be put on the back burners. Sit Ronnie before accepting something less than what he's worth. I mean, just listen to Ronnie talk about the "mismatches" he creates.

Any thoughts?

I'll buy that. I doubt we're gunning for a title this season, anyways, and we're not a bad team without him, so might as well wait for the right trade.

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 07:22 PM
I want him gone, even just for picks. He needs to be history, the sooner the better. I don't think I can handle months and months of speculation, jus a few days is enough for me.

Kaufman
12-13-2005, 07:25 PM
I would sit him until we were semi-comfortable with what we got in exchange for him, i.e., fair market value.

Shade
12-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Any thoughts?

Absolutely. I've been saying that since the beginning. If another team is not even willing to part with a middle tier player, we should just refuse to trade Ron until we do get a good offer. Why let Ron get what he wants if it gets us nothing in return?

sweabs
12-13-2005, 07:42 PM
I want him gone, even just for picks. He needs to be history, the sooner the better. I don't think I can handle months and months of speculation, jus a few days is enough for me.

Interesting - some of the mediots around here today were speculating on what Babcock told the papers with the "picks" business, and feel they might be in the running to take a chance on Artest.

NPFII
12-13-2005, 07:57 PM

Any thoughts?

I strongly disagree.

The only reason to do this is if you're aiming on trading Ron ONLY.

IMO there is an opportunity to trade another guy or two and get better OVERALL value for Artest, while dealing with MORE than the Artest Problem. For example package Ron & Tins for an all-star, or Ron & Foster for a decent center. Maybe Ron & Saras for a good SF.

Point being - trade now, or lose trade value.

If by any chance Ron sits a while, the team finds its chemistry, and then you move Ron plus another player, it's practically shooting yourself in the leg. Ron's trade value wont go up (much), and better deals wont just appear in thin air... Not trading keeps the team in a state of turmoil where nobody knows what's going on, and that's not a good thing if you want to win.

Trade. Now. Cut your losses. Do it quickly and with no remorse.

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Ron needs to not be a Pacer any more in some way, shape or form. If that means putting him on the NBA version of paid leave that may be OK, but he shouldn't be allowed in the locker room and if you could he should be banned from Conseco (probably can't do that though).

The rest of the team needs to put him behind them.

Pacesetter
12-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Point being - trade now, or lose trade value.

I don't think his trade value could be any less than it is right now, and there are several teams just laying in wait to see if they can pounce on the aftermath of the Pacers/Artest divorce. IOW, I think there are several teams that WILL part with a better trade offer than what they will initially show the Pacers Front Office. At the moment most teams see the Pacers situation as the Pacers are in a position of vulnerability, a vulnerability that I would compare to looking for a house in a sellers market. It's just not a good timeframe for them to wheel him, but ... if they wait for a while for the trades to settle out, and then see what kind of interest shows up, I believe we could get a Channing Frye, or someone of comparable value and perhaps more than that.

Let's be real here. Ronnie is a man-child (no pun intended). Taking him out of the equation indefinitely means that not only will we not have to deal with his bull****, but we also won't have to worry about competing against him. This guy can take over a game as was witnessed just a few nights ago when he scored 30, and had 5 steals in another game. We had better get top shelf trades for this guy or the Front Office will regret this for many moons to come. If we get some first rounders then that might be alright too. Whatever happens though, the Pacers ought to know that the rest of the NBA is fully aware of Ron's ability and I'd say there's more than a few GM's who wished they'd have pounced on Rodman when Rodman was on the trading blocks back in the day. Ronnie will probably never pull stunts like he has in Indiana again. GM's know that. JMO.

Doug in CO
12-13-2005, 08:46 PM
I agree - if we get crap, just sit him

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 09:27 PM
I disagree very much.

Right now when all the teams who might be interested and tuned in will be the best time to get the best offer.

Why would a team offer more in 2 months after Ron has been sitting out all that time.

Now is the time.

Pacesetter
12-13-2005, 09:39 PM
Why would a team offer more in 2 months after Ron has been sitting out all that time.

Here's why:

73, 19.4, 2.63, 4.9, & 2.2.

He took 73 games off last year, he hasn't even gotten back into his rhythm yet, and is putting up 19.4 ppg, 4.9 rebs per game, with 1.6 on the offensive end, 2.63 spg, 2.2 apg, and he hasn't even hit his stride yet. PLUS, he has the ability to shut down his oppnents, and scraps like no one else who has ever worn a Pacers uniform has before.

In addtition to that, you have to think defensively as well, imo. If you give him to a team he now becomes an opponent, and now you have to stop him, which I know our guys are more than willing to step up and do, but why even gamble if you don't get an exceptional talent in return. Plus, he shouldn't be rewarded for pulling a stunt like he has. I would make his *** sit until I got everything and the kitchen sink for him from another team. There are teams out there that know without a doubt, if they can get Ron, he will become the cornerstone of their team. Make his *** sit at home, use his beat box until it explodes and wait patiently for a trade. Trust me, there will be teams breaking down the Pacers front office doors when they see that the team is winning without Ron Ron! JMO.

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 09:44 PM

Yep. I want him gone by the time my winter break starts. If he's not gone by then, the process has taken too long, and Artest's blabbing mouth will only worsen things.

pacercoltfan
12-13-2005, 09:57 PM
OMG! I just had a thought; what if he went to Detroit? :-o :laugh: :rotflmao:

And we got Ben Wallace. :rotflmao: :lolchair:

Bball
12-13-2005, 09:58 PM
Not only would the bidding war (if there is such a thing) cool down over time BUT who wants to roll the dice that an Artest sitting on ice doesn't submarine his trade value even lower with a yet to be imagined scenario?

Every day he sits is one more chance he starts talking ... and talking...

Every day he sits on ice is a day he might start feeling anger, or sadness, or boredom or some other emotion and who knows how he'll react?

His trade value is highest in these initial days and putting him on ice too long waiting for a team to decide whether they want to meet 'our' terms could end up backfiring.

-Bball

Shade
12-13-2005, 09:59 PM
BRING IN DARKO!!!!!

:sarcasm:

pacercoltfan
12-13-2005, 10:09 PM
Then like I said yesterday, I will run around my neighborhood naked for 5 minutes.

:laugh:

Pacerized
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
I want to see Ron go away, and I think the trade will happen within 2 weeks, but I'm willing to have the patience if needed. The right trade might be more appealing to another team more near the trade deadline.

Arcadian
12-13-2005, 10:57 PM
If we got the Kandi man I would be thrilled and consider it the best trade of the Donnie era at this point.

Bball
12-13-2005, 11:02 PM
His trade value cant get any lower.

Wanna bet? :eek:

Seriously... What if he's sitting there waiting while the team is doing all they can to make a decent deal and all of a sudden Ron calls WXIN and heads to the studio to tell them he's "considering retirement". "Basketball just doesn't mean as much to him anymore". Or maybe he tells them he'd like to go to a team that would give him a liberal leave of absence policy to pursue his music and boxing interests.

Or... What if, while waiting for something to happen, he decides to start performing his music live and runs into a 'former' fan? He's learned not to run into the stands at a basketball game we have to figure, but does he know not to jump off stage and start a riot at the Vogue?

Or... What if he becomes angry while waiting for something to happen and he starts blaming Stern for teams not willing to trade for him. Maybe he claims Stern has blackballed him and ramps up the arguments into an anti-Stern/NBA rant?

I just wouldn't have the confidence that one of these scenarios couldn't come from out of the blue if Artest has to stay on ice too long. Likely? I don't know... But certainly possible (and not just theoretically possible)

-Bball

Kegboy
12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
We need to get rid of him as soon as humanly possible. I hate the fact we have to wait until Thursday for the recent signings to open up. The sooner Ron Artest is not associated with the Pacers, the sooner everyone can move on.

FireTheCoach
12-14-2005, 01:46 AM
I don't think his trade value could be any less than it is right now, and there are several teams just laying in wait to see if they can pounce on the aftermath of the Pacers/Artest divorce. IOW, I think there are several teams that WILL part with a better trade offer than what they will initially show the Pacers Front Office. At the moment most teams see the Pacers situation as the Pacers are in a position of vulnerability, a vulnerability that I would compare to looking for a house in a sellers market. It's just not a good timeframe for them to wheel him, but ... if they wait for a while for the trades to settle out, and then see what kind of interest shows up, I believe we could get a Channing Frye, or someone of comparable value and perhaps more than that.

Let's be real here. Ronnie is a man-child (no pun intended). Taking him out of the equation indefinitely means that not only will we not have to deal with his bull****, but we also won't have to worry about competing against him. This guy can take over a game as was witnessed just a few nights ago when he scored 30, and had 5 steals in another game. We had better get top shelf trades for this guy or the Front Office will regret this for many moons to come. If we get some first rounders then that might be alright too. Whatever happens though, the Pacers ought to know that the rest of the NBA is fully aware of Ron's ability and I'd say there's more than a few GM's who wished they'd have pounced on Rodman when Rodman was on the trading blocks back in the day. Ronnie will probably never pull stunts like he has in Indiana again. GM's know that. JMO.

Well.... if there are several teams interested in Artest then let the bidding wars begin. Not much more of a sure fire way to increase his value then to have several teams making offers... at least I would think that to be logical.

Anyway.... I'm not so sure there will be several teams interested in adding Ron to the roster. He's got certain skills that set him apart from the run of the mill NBA player... no question, but thinking back on the knocked over water coolers, turned over tables, television cameras smashed, all the "FAMILY EMERGENCIES" that he always seems to have to miss games for, his all around dumbassedness, and of course being the main character in the the most infamous sports brawl in all of history..... why in the hell would a gm want to add that personality to their roster. I gaurantee that on Nov.19th 2004 every gm in the NBA was glad that Artest was NOT on their team.

Ronnie will probably never pull stunts like he has in Indiana again. GM's know that. JMO.

BUt I was going right along with ya and can understand your POV untill that quote....

OF course he will.... he's doing it right now with this bull***** he's pulling. He's just being his same old "destroy everything around me" self but he's doing it in a different way. Thats all.... same stupid self destructing Ron Artest, he's just spinning it different this time.... he'll do it again and again and again too no matter where he's playing ball.

DisplacedKnick
12-14-2005, 08:20 AM
Here's why:

73, 19.4, 2.63, 4.9, & 2.2.

He took 73 games off last year, he hasn't even gotten back into his rhythm yet, and is putting up 19.4 ppg, 4.9 rebs per game, with 1.6 on the offensive end, 2.63 spg, 2.2 apg, and he hasn't even hit his stride yet. PLUS, he has the ability to shut down his oppnents, and scraps like no one else who has ever worn a Pacers uniform has before.

And sitting out for two months helps him find his rhythm exactly how?