PDA

View Full Version : Walsh} "I'm not in the market for veterans."

Will Galen
12-13-2005, 10:36 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spartest134550299dec13,0,7698900.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

Knicks are not first on the list in bid for Artest
BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF WRITER

December 13, 2005

Pacers president Donnie Walsh said he expects to hear from the Knicks when the bidding for Indiana star Ron Artest heats up, but they are by no means the preferred bidder even though Artest said he would like to play for the Knicks in an "ideal world."

"Ron changed that statement," Walsh said yesterday in a telephone interview. "He said he'd go anywhere, and I wouldn't feel I had to do that [deal with the Knicks] anyway. I'm going to take the best offer."

As of 5:30 p.m. yesterday, Walsh said he had heard nothing yet from Knicks president Isiah Thomas, but he certainly expects to hear soon from the man who coached Artest for two seasons with the Pacers. "We just started the process, but I'm waiting to hear what they have to say," Walsh said of the Knicks.

Walsh declined to discuss specifics, but when asked if he likely would demand some or all of the Knicks' three first-round rookies as part of any deal, Walsh said, "I'm not in the market for veterans. It has to make sense either for our future or financial sense or both."

Reading between the lines, that means the only way the Pacers would take one of the Knicks' veteran contracts would be if Austin Croshere, who has two years worth $18.5 million left on his contract, were part of the deal. It's virtually certain that Walsh would want rookie forward Channing Frye, the eighth overall pick of the 2005 draft, as part of a deal. He also might expect to pick from among Knicks rookies David Lee and Nate Robinson and second-year player Trevor Ariza.

Artest, a Queensbridge native who played at St. John's, was the defensive player of the year two seasons ago before getting suspended for 73 games last season for his part in the Pacers' infamous brawl with fans in Auburn Hills, Mich. He was averaging 19.4 points in his return this season before being put on the inactive list after the trade request.

After supporting Artest through a series of problems, Walsh called his sudden trade request "the last straw" and vowed to accommodate his wish.

Thomas wasn't available for comment but is said to be taking a "wait-and-see" approach. Walsh said he has no timetable but expects to move quickly.

"I'm in the process of seeing what the market is," Walsh said, "but if I see a deal that will help us, I'll do it."

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
"I'm not in the market for veterans

Which this matches with what Bucher was saying as well.
Young players...
They must feel they already have thier starters.

Willbo
12-13-2005, 10:41 AM
Well i guess now that JB is gone........

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 10:44 AM
Which this matches with what Bucher was saying as well.
Young players...
They must feel they already have thier starters.

The P word PLUS in their first contract...meaning cheap as in Helps our contract situation.

ChicagoJ
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
I took that to mean he's not interested in any of NYK's overpaid underachievers.

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
We all know the Knicks aren't allergic to taking on a bad contract. But we all also know (I think) that Frye isn't going anywhere.

At least I hope we know that - this is Isiah we're talking about though.

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
We all know the Knicks aren't allergic to taking on a bad contract. But we all also know (I think) that Frye isn't going anywhere.

and he very well could give anything he can to land Artest. He's everything that Zeke likes in a player.

I honestly hope that he goes west though. The farther the better IMO.

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah Frye only dropped like 30pts last night...

You would think Robinson and Frye are going nowhere..

tadscout
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah Frye only dropped like 30pts last night...

You would think Robinson and Frye are going nowhere..

But remember it's Zeke and the Knicks they are famous for horrible trades!

ABADays
12-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Dear Donnie:

Please, I beg you, don't send Austin out with Ron and please, not to Isiah.

CableKC
12-13-2005, 02:42 PM
Damnit...I keep on missing it....but what does TPTB mean again?

CableKC
12-13-2005, 02:43 PM
I took that to mean he's not interested in any of NYK's overpaid underachievers.
God I hope so.....it would not only make my day for the Pacers to finally deal Artest's @ss away....it would be icing on the cake if the Knicks don't get yet another all-star level player.

waxman
12-13-2005, 02:49 PM
Last place I send Ron Artest, right now.... besides another contender...is home... exactly where he wants to go. He shouldn't get what he wants.

He's repeatedly disrespected this franchise, the fans and the sport in general, and should go to basketball purgatory.

The only way we trade with NY is if they fully bend over... with Frye/Robinson/ and Ariza or Q .

Los Angeles
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Pure Donnie Walsh.

1) Trade at-thier-peak stars for developing talent (.... like Artest ...)

2) Let veterans develop from within or come cheap via free agency.

The guy is like a refrigerator. The light goes on, the light goes off, and it won't do anything that's not built into it.

EDIT: and I mean that as a compliment.

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Damnit...I keep on missing it....but what does TPTB mean again?

The Powers That Be

Ultimate Frisbee
12-13-2005, 03:03 PM
Sweet... Donnie and I are thinking alike... No Peja, no crappy knicks players... awesome!

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 03:05 PM
TPTB have likely accepted what many on here refuse to do. This team is not a championship contender, and whatever the damaged(or destroyed)-goods Ron Artest brings in certainly won't change that this year.

That's cuz it's not true.

NavyPacersFan
12-13-2005, 03:06 PM
The Powers That Be
I thought it was "The PACERS Top Brass!"

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 03:08 PM
But remember it's Zeke and the Knicks they are famous for horrible trades!

Horrible trade? A rookie with POTENTIAL for a top 10 player who's the best defender in the league. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Sweet... Donnie and I are thinking alike... No Peja, no crappy knicks players... awesome!

All he said was, to the knicks, "i want your kids, not your trash"

sweabs
12-13-2005, 03:10 PM
I thought it was "The PACERS Top Brass!"
I thought it was "Two People That Bankrupt".

:zip:

tadscout
12-13-2005, 03:17 PM
Horrible trade? A rookie with POTENTIAL for a top 10 player who's the best defender in the league. hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I ment horrible for his team... they always seem to get the shortend of the deal...

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 03:50 PM
Good! Picks and young talent for Artest is the way to go.

ChicagoJ
12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
I think some of you guys are reading way too much into DW's comments.

He is Mr. Smokescreen.

How quickly some of you forget.

EDIT - And no, I don't have a friggin' clue what he's going to do, either.

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM

He is Mr. Smokescreen.

Oh yeah, there is a reason for every comment Walsh says. He has been around the block way to many times to reveal his hand.

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 03:59 PM

He is Mr. Smokescreen.

EDIT - And no, I don't have a friggin' clue what he's going to do, either.

So, we really AREN'T going to trade Artest....? :p

I think Donnie may have been forced to reveal his hand somewhat in this one.... but maybe not. I really hope he is looking to either acquire someone who is an all-star in talent, or a bunch of youngsters with potential. An average player won't help us very much....

ChicagoJ
And more thing. I won't believe anything at all until his high school buddy publishes it in The Post.

Yes, I mean him.

Tomorrow should make for a spicy Hoop du Jour.

ChicagoJ
Can assistant coaches be traded? We've got one that I'd be willing to trade for any player named "Pooh".

:finger:

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 04:00 PM
Can assistant coaches be traded? We've got one that I'd be willing to trade for any player named "Pooh".

Uh.. will you settle for a Mookie ?

BillS
12-13-2005, 04:01 PM

DOH!

ChicagoJ
12-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I think Donnie may have been forced to reveal his hand somewhat in this one.... but maybe not. I really hope he is looking to either acquire someone who is an all-star in talent, or a bunch of youngsters with potential. An average player won't help us very much....

I strongly disagree with this for several reasons:

(1) We're already a young team, regardless of who we get in return, so we've got plenty of bright, sunny days ahead;

(2) There won't be any minutes for a young player to develop - there already aren't enough minutes for our mutual favorite Pacer to develop into the solid starting center we know he can become;

(3) Given everything that's been going on with this team, they may not need another player to come in and make huge contributions on the court. At least not for long as Granger develops. But they probably do need a guy that's a great "lockerroom guy" that - along with JO, Croshere, and Saras, can help the remaining players rally around each other, their coach, etc. I just don't see a young player in that role;

(4) Rick is a bad coaching choice to put with a "project", and I personally just don't have the time nor the energy for any more "projects". David and Danny are enough for me right now. :D ; and

(5) On the other hand, your request can be granted if we get the other team to throw in an unprotected #1, because you know that whatever team Ron ends up on is either already heading to the lottery or DW believes Ron will make sure they get there.

Naptown Seth
12-13-2005, 04:16 PM
The problem with trading for younger talent is, by the time they develop. Saras is an old man, Croshere's completely bald, and JO and the rest are "aging".
If we have to give up our 2nd best player for a young player with potential, we might as well just say screw it and rebuild sooner rather than later. I either want a team thats a legit contender or a team that has the potential to be a legit contender.

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 04:18 PM
I strongly disagree with this for several reasons:

(1) We're already a young team, regardless of who we get in return, so we've got plenty of bright, sunny days ahead;

(2) There won't be any minutes for a young player to develop - there already aren't enough minutes for our mutual favorite Pacer to develop into the solid starting center we know he can become;

(3) Given everything that's been going on with this team, they may not need another player to come in and make huge contributions on the court. At least not for long as Granger develops. But they probably do need a guy that's a great "lockerroom guy" that - along with JO, Croshere, and Saras, can help the remaining players rally around each other, their coach, etc. I just don't see a young player in that role;

(4) Rick is a bad coaching choice to put with a "project", and I personally just don't have the time nor the energy for any more "projects". David and Danny are enough for me right now. :D ; and

(5) On the other hand, your request can be granted if we get the other team to throw in an unprotected #1, because you know that whatever team Ron ends up on is either already heading to the lottery or DW believes Ron will make sure they get there.
I agree with you on 2 and 4. I don't know what I'd do about that, I don't want to fire Rick, and I like Cro and Foster too. But man David needs to play. :(

Point 1 is what worries me. We're a young team, so we have a lot of days ahead of us, but I'm not convinced they will be bright and sunny. My worst fear is to be trapped in mediocrity every year, just good enough to avoid the lottery, but not good enough to seriously contend (or convince mysself that we will contend :p).

I woud probably be okay with doing the draft picks thing. Trade Ron and whoever else DW-LB feels is a problem for as many first rounders as possible, and give this current team the rest of the season. Find out just how good they are, examine our strengths and weaknesses, and draft accordingly...

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
Actually, scratch that, I agree with Naptown, but had forgotten that point. I want guys that will be ready within JO and Saras's prime, so probably no draft picks. So semi-experienced young guys I guess. :shrug

I gotta think about it so more.

CableKC
12-13-2005, 07:51 PM
The Powers That Be
Thanks.....now I know....and knowing is half the battle.:D