PDA

View Full Version : Artest = Sheed'05 for the West?

Outsider
12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I don't understand the people who keep saying we will be lucky to get a bag of chips for Artest now. Yes, Artest has proven himself to be a total Donkey-backside (and this is coming from a former Artest defender) but he still is going to get more than the 13-15th bench players on anyones bench.

Things to consider:

1. Donnie and Larry are not going to be sending Artest to a contending Eastern team. Only way this would happen would be to get their all-star player (insert Lebron, Wade etc here) and then that team wouldn't be a contender anymore anyway.

2. They might send Artest to the dregs of the East. IE Atlanta, Toronto, Charolette, New Orleans, etc, but those teams would have to give up some decent talent. This is possible..... but not likely do to #3.

3. The west is where LB and DW want to send him. We would only have to see him once, maybe two times this year (depending on the team) and if it is any team besides San Antonio I doubt we will have to worry about them if we make it to the finals. This sets up 4.

4. There will be a bit of a bidding war for Artest. Artest COULD take any 4-8 seat and turn them into a 1-3 seat. So all of the contending teams have to make a play. Sure, maybe SA thinks they can beat a Dallas team with Ron added, but can Minnisota beat Denver with Ron? Can the Clippers beat the Lakers with Ron? Could Memphis or Phoenix become a 2 seat with Ron???? Some teams are going to have to jump in the mix just so their rival will not get Ron....... This isn't even taking into consideration that Ron might be enough to take a 9-12 seat and get them into the playoffs...which means money coming in.

Even with all of his warts (and they are massive) Ron has the POTENTIAL to cause a shift in power in the west. Teams will have to offer something respectable in order to be in the mix.

Outsider

PS. I like the idea of getting Odom, and just love the thought of Ron getting under even more scrutiny with the Lakers....if he thought he had "all of this" hanging over his head, he hasn't seen anything yet!

Shade
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
If Ron goes to the Lakers, I can truly begin to hate them again. But it's worth it if we get Odom in return. :nod:

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I hope Ron comes to LA. Then I ever run into him out here, I can give him a piece of my mind. :zip:

NPFII
12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I agree with the analysis, except for 2 points:
1. In the East there are also a few teams, who are not contenders, that with Ron can make a run for being a legit playoff team: Washington, NJ, Boston, Chicago, Philly, and yes - NY.
2. On the contrary to 1 - probably most of them see the hazardous potential in Ron, and will pass. This goes for the teams in the West, as well.

It comes down to a question each and every GM will need to ask himself - "can we contain this SOB and make him play basketball, or will we just add a negative influence on the whole team while possibly raising the talent level?"

Being a GM you probably have to take risks once in a while, and Ron Artest can prove to be a big one. We'll wait and see - I have a feeling that the trade won't be so bad as people here think. Setting your hopes on Lamar Odom, IMO, is a bit low.

Roy Munson
12-13-2005, 12:30 PM
PS. I like the idea of getting Odom, and just love the thought of Ron getting under even more scrutiny with the Lakers....if he thought he had "all of this" hanging over his head, he hasn't seen anything yet!

I disagree with the scrutiny part of this. There are enough weirdos in LA that Ron will pretty much blend in. His behavior won't be that unusual.

The entertaining part of a possible move to LA would be watching him play with Kobe. I don't doubt that it would be smooth at first, and that Ron would do much of what he did in Indiana in terms of making them a better team. However I don't think Kobe would be very patient with Ron when he did slip. Also, I think Jackson might be on the very few coaches who can "trick" Artest into playing the way he wants him to play.

Bball
12-13-2005, 12:31 PM
Yeah, I hope Ron comes to LA. Then I ever run into him out here, I can give him a piece of my mind.

If he's got a minute you can give him the whole thing!
:rimshot:

:tongue:

Bball :zip:

Shade
12-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah, I hope Ron comes to LA. Then I ever run into him out here, I can give him a piece of my mind. :zip:

Lobotomy? Because that could be very beneficial to Ron...

Shade
12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
I agree with the analysis, except for 2 points:
1. In the East there are also a few teams, who are not contenders, that with Ron can make a run for being a legit playoff team: Washington, NJ, Boston, Chicago, Philly, and yes - NY.
2. On the contrary to 1 - probably most of them see the hazardous potential in Ron, and will pass. This goes for the teams in the West, as well.

It comes down to a question each and every GM will need to ask himself - "can we contain this SOB and make him play basketball, or will we just add a negative influence on the whole team while possibly raising the talent level?"

Being a GM you probably have to take risks once in a while, and Ron Artest can prove to be a big one. We'll wait and see - I have a feeling that the trade won't be so bad as people here think. Setting your hopes on Lamar Odom, IMO, is a bit low.

If we trade Ron to a contending East team, it tells me that we've given up on any current championship dreams and are building for the future again.

Poor Runi. :(

NPFII
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
If we trade Ron to a contending East team, it tells me that we've given up on any current championship dreams and are building for the future again.

Poor Runi. :(

I don't consider Washington, Philly, NJ, Boston or NY to be contenders.

The only contenders in the East are Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland, Miami, Milwaukee. Don't trade to them. All the rest is ok.

Saras will be ok. He's gonna get the opportunity of his lifetime now that the Pacers are without Ron, Tinsley injured, and the team still good enough to make it to the playoffs, and IMO make a run at Detroit.

Anyway - who knows - he might be traded WITH Ron to NY for example, maybe for Frye. That would be a lot worse...

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
The thing with Ron is that while he'll help your team win games - and by games I mean a LOT of games - when things get really intense his brain flashes the "nobody home" sign and he does something to sabotage his team.

Two years ago, even with all his problems and knowing the same thing, I'd have loved to see Ron on the Knicks because we really sucked with no real prospects for improvement.

Right now we really suck but we have (arguably) the best coach in the business and a core of young players who are busting their butts to get better and actually have some talent. I don't want him.

If we got Ron I'd almost guarantee we'd make the playoffs this season. But it's Fools' Gold because he'll do something when things really get tough to screw his team up.

It's his nature.

Natston
12-13-2005, 01:43 PM

If you think it's a good idea to put that piece of mind in a cup and then throw it at him, think again... :censored: