PDA

View Full Version : Cold Pizza says Ron Artest to the West

scar
12-13-2005, 09:08 AM
Three teams have inquired about Ron Artest in the West, and here are the supposed offers.

Lakers and Lamar Odom
Nuggets and Vashon Lenard
T-Wolves and Michael Olowakandi

Doug in CO
12-13-2005, 09:12 AM
It looks like the player(s) we get are going to disappoint even the Hate Ron crowd.

Lamar Odom would be acceptable. And it would be nice to get Al Harrington.

Is Isiah enough in love with Artest to let go of Channing Frye - I doubt it - but does anyone think that Brown would take Artest?

Bottom line - I think we are going to end up with garbage - and I put Michael O and Voshon Lenard in the garbage category.

Willbo
12-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Yup I agree, Minnesota fans appear to have had their fill of the kandi man. I know the salaries suck but what about Kandi and Wally

scar
12-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Yup I agree, Minnesota fans appear to have had their fill of the kandi man. I know the salaries suck but what about Kandi and Wally

Don't be greedy.

I think the Lamar Odom deal is really awesome. I think he and Jermaine O'neal would be a good tandem. I also remember that the Pacers once coveted Lamar Odom before the Clippers took him with the 4th pick, thus leaving the Pacers with a kid out of high school by the name of Jonathan Bender.

Eindar
12-13-2005, 09:23 AM
Don't be greedy.

I think the Lamar Odom deal is really awesome. I think he and Jermaine O'neal would be a good tandem. I also remember that the Pacers once coveted Lamar Odom before the Clippers took him with the 4th pick, thus leaving the Pacers with a kid out of high school by the name of Jonathan Bender.

I really like Lamar Odom as well. He's had it rough in LA, I'm guessing the lifestyle distracts him. Even in the (slightly) more subdued town of miami, he had an outstanding year. I don't see why he wouldn't perform similarly here. I proposed a thread on the RealGM boards of Artest and Johnson for a 1st and Odom, to clear our logjam, and make the talent swap a little more palatable. It also makes it easier for the Lakers to pull the trigger, as they're getting a solid PG in the deal. Last I hear their PG rotation was Smush Parker and Sasha Vujacic (another 6'7" euro "point guard".....)

Regardless, he's certainly a lot better than the other garbage mentioned. Outside of Peja, Odom is the guy I want for Artest.

scar
12-13-2005, 09:26 AM
I really like Lamar Odom as well. He's had it rough in LA, I'm guessing the lifestyle distracts him. Even in the (slightly) more subdued town of miami, he had an outstanding year. I don't see why he wouldn't perform similarly here. I proposed a thread on the RealGM boards of Artest and Johnson for a 1st and Odom, to clear our logjam, and make the talent swap a little more palatable. It also makes it easier for the Lakers to pull the trigger, as they're getting a solid PG in the deal. Last I hear their PG rotation was Smush Parker and Aaron McKie.....

Regardless, he's certainly a lot better than the other garbage mentioned. Outside of Peja, Odom is the guy I want for Artest.

I think I'd want Odom even more. He's got the talent that Donnie Walsh saw in Bender, only he plays. I think this is an outstanding deal for Artest and with JO being the first real quality big man outside Elton Brand that Odom has ever played with, it gives Odom the ability to play his natural position at the 3 and be even more of a force.

Doug in CO
12-13-2005, 09:29 AM
Is Phil Jackson arrogant enough to think that he can make an Artest/Kobe team work?

Hopefully.

It sure would be fun to watch him destroy that team.

Eindar
12-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Is Phil Jackson arrogant enough to think that he can make an Artest/Kobe team work?

Hopefully.

It sure would be fun to watch him destroy that team.

I dunno, man. If he can get Rodman to tune in for an entire season, I'd say anything is possible. One thing is for certain, on paper, a Kobe/Ron Ron tandem looks formidable. Regardless, they still need a reliable PG before they can even think of contending.

Grant
12-13-2005, 09:37 AM
Ron needs a quiet midwestern city, where there are no bright lights or harsh critics. A place where the ownership and fans will bend over backwards to support him. He needs a team that wins, a successful, established coach...

Oh...wait....

scar
12-13-2005, 09:43 AM
There is a reason that Phil Jackson is the 'Zen' master. I'm starting to really believe that L.A. is as likely of a destination for Ron as New York is.

Hicks
12-13-2005, 10:09 AM
I'll be praying that we bite on the Odom offer. That's far more talent than I'd expect us to land for Ron now.

Willbo
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Sorry maybe i am missing something, did the thread starter come up with these manufactured deals? - if so no probs, just that people are acting like these offers are definitely on the table

Reggie4Three
12-13-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm praying the Pacers can accomplish two things in the trade.

1. Get a player that is clearly starting quality for us (better than who we have right now, Artest excluded).

2. Send Artest somewhere we don't have to worry about seeing him in the playoffs (a TERRIBLE EC team or any WC team).

Odom is clearly better than any other option we have at SF right now and sends Artest to LA. I can't hope for much better than that.

scar
12-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Sorry maybe i am missing something, did the thread starter come up with these manufactured deals? - if so no probs, just that people are acting like these offers are definitely on the table

An NBA analyst from Cold Pizza this morning said that he talked with several GM's from the Western Conference, and three teams were interested in Artest, and the three deals being talked about are the ones I mentioned. They aren't offers on the table, they are deals being talked about.

I also read this morning that Phil Jackson likes Artest. Plus, Lamar Odom is the greatest trade offer scenario that I've heard on t.v./newspapers, so I'm praying that it happens.

Willbo
12-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Cheers, i didnt doubt you just didnt recognise the source. I have always liked Odom but i dont know how he would fit...

scar
12-13-2005, 10:33 AM
Cheers, i didnt doubt you just didnt recognise the source. I have always liked Odom but i dont know how he would fit...

Here's something to think about. Odom has become a pretty darn good rebounder, as well as someone you can count on to generate assists. He averages 15.9 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 5.6 apg. We could use him as a point forward and thus have another ball handeler.

Skaut_Ech
12-13-2005, 10:34 AM
Odom for Artest.....kinda reminds me of the old Shrempf for McKey trade in reverse.

beast23
12-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Odom plays both PF and SF. But things I've seen lately state that he has some problems at SF and that PF is now is natural position.

Anyone else see anything about that?

Willbo
12-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah strugles to guard some SF's, had to be switched off World the other day.... ouch

beast23
12-13-2005, 10:46 AM
My point is that I don't see how they compliment each other if both play PF, unless we continue to play JO at center. And that leaves us with a ton of centers with nowhere to play.

Fool
12-13-2005, 10:48 AM
I would love to watch Artest in LA.

scar
12-13-2005, 10:49 AM
My point is that I don't see how they compliment each other if both play PF, unless we continue to play JO at center. And that leaves us with a ton of centers with nowhere to play.

If we use Odom at the 4, and use JO at the 5, then you'll see teams unable to double Jermaine anymore because that would leave Odom open. Odom can knock down the 15 foot shot much like Brad Miller did. I'm not saying that Odom and Miller are anything similar, but we've not had a 4 or a 5 since Brad that could make JO's life any easier. I think Odom would make JO a happy camper for the time being.

Fool
12-13-2005, 10:53 AM
I would imagine the Pacers would play Odom at the 3. I assume he'd play both 3 & 4 but primarily at the 3.

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
Three teams have inquired about Ron Artest in the West, and here are the supposed offers.

Lakers and Lamar Odom
Nuggets and Vashon Lenard
T-Wolves and Michael Olowakandi

How do they know three teams have inquired about Ron? They don't.

scar
12-13-2005, 10:54 AM
I would imagine the Pacers would play Odom at the 3. I assume he'd play both 3 & 4 but primarily at the 3.

Yeah, since Austin a stalwart 4. :cool:

Shade
12-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Bring in Odom, baby! It's not even close!

heywoode
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
I'm not good at trying to determine if a player would "fit" with our team, but Lamar Odom would be a great addition talent wise. I would do that trade today.

The suggestion of packaging AJ for Odom and a 1st, I wouldn't do. With JT's injury history, I don't want our backup PG to be Eddie Gill. AJ is good enough that when JT is hurt and Saras is our starter, he can play backup and Eddie can play the Jim Sorgi role....break glass only in the event of an emergency...

Phil Jackson is called the zen master, but I still put more emphasis on the fact that he had Jordan, and then Shaq & Kobe, for his success. Jordan had as much to do with conrolling Rodman as anyone did. Rodman certainly respected Jordan more than Phil....

Don't listen to me though, Phil....YOU are the master and can get Artest to work for you and not be a f'ing flake like nobody else can...Show us all how cool you are, take the challenge!!

scar
12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I'm not good at trying to determine if a player would "fit" with our team, but Lamar Odom would be a great addition talent wise. I would do that trade today.

The suggestion of packaging AJ for Odom and a 1st, I wouldn't do. With JT's injury history, I don't want our backup PG to be Eddie Gill. AJ is good enough that when JT is hurt and Saras is our starter, he can play backup and Eddie can play the Jim Sorgi role....break glass only in the event of an emergency...

Phil Jackson is called the zen master, but I still put more emphasis on the fact that he had Jordan, and then Shaq & Kobe, for his success. Jordan had as much to do with conrolling Rodman as anyone did. Rodman certainly respected Jordan more than Phil....

Don't listen to me though, Phil....YOU are the master and can get Artest to work for you and not be a f'ing flake like nobody else can...Show us all how cool you are, take the challenge!!

The beautiful thing about Odom is that he can play the point forward. So basically, he can bring the ball down if he has to. Infact, I think he'd be better at dribbling the ball down the court than Anthony Johnson. Yeah, I said it.

scar
12-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Cold Pizza is repeating now, so if you wanna check out what I was sayin about Artest to the West, just check out ESPN2 right now.

blanket
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep13dec13,1,878712.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Coach Phil Jackson, who reportedly irritated a member of the Toronto Raptor front office by heaping praise on Raptor forward Chris Bosh last week, was slightly more guarded when asked about Indiana Pacer forward Ron Artest's trade demand.

"I don't want to broach the ire of the league by saying that we would want this player because that's not how you go about this business, to publicly say that," Jackson said. "Indiana has wanted to stay with Ron and I think they still want to stay with Ron. I don't see how you're going to get [trade] value out of this player who, in my estimation, is one of the most valuable players in the league. Of course, I estimate him perhaps higher than other people, but I think he's a terrific player and he adds a big dimension to every game he plays in."

ahhteeth
12-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Did any of you guys just hear Skip Bayless on cold pizza. He just said we should trade Ron to the timberwolves for KG and that the wolves would want to do this. And to make the salaries match through in Cro and Foster. I have no clue why that idiot is on TV, he just makes absurd statements like this. A few months I was watching and he said that the NFL should get rid of kickers. I hate Skip!!

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakerep13dec13,1,878712.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-nba-lakers

Coach Phil Jackson, who reportedly irritated a member of the Toronto Raptor front office by heaping praise on Raptor forward Chris Bosh last week, was slightly more guarded when asked about Indiana Pacer forward Ron Artest's trade demand.

"I don't want to broach the ire of the league by saying that we would want this player because that's not how you go about this business, to publicly say that," Jackson said. "Indiana has wanted to stay with Ron and I think they still want to stay with Ron. I don't see how you're going to get [trade] value out of this player who, in my estimation, is one of the most valuable players in the league. Of course, I estimate him perhaps higher than other people, but I think he's a terrific player and he adds a big dimension to every game he plays in."

Wow, read between those lines. He loves Artest. He's made that quite clear. Sounds like he wouldn't mind parting with Odom to get him either.

I don't know guys, it's sounding more and more like he's going to LA.

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Did any of you guys just hear Skip Bayless on cold pizza. He just said we should trade Ron to the timberwolves for KG and that the wolves would want to do this. And to make the salaries match through in Cro and Foster. I have no clue why that idiot is on TV, he just makes absurd statements like this. A few months I was watching and he said that the NFL should get rid of kickers. I hate Skip!!

That was a pretty dumb comment he made.

Mordecaii
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Oh please God make this trade happen... Artest for Odom is more than I could have dreamed for!

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Odom would be a great pickup for Ron - and the Kobe-Lamar marriage obviously hasn't worked out. Who do you include for the extra 4-5 million to make salaries match though?

317Kim
12-13-2005, 12:04 PM
mann..I hope Donnie will make this an exception ODOM for RON!!! We already have young talents in Danger and Hulk...Odom = :grinyes:

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 12:05 PM
mann..I hope Donnie will make this an exception ODOM for RON!!! We already have young talents in Danger and Hulk...Odom = :grinyes:

Odom's only 26 - not sure how much of an exception you're looking at.

317Kim
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Idk what Donnie says is young..he wants young talent..(JO and DD in 00)

26..wow did know that..Ron is 26 right? bday was 11-13

Willbo
12-13-2005, 12:08 PM
cant believe he is only 26.... surely this is a deal (if true) too good to pass up

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 12:19 PM
If we trade Ron for Kandiman or Lenard I'm killing someone

McKeyFan
12-13-2005, 12:38 PM
I dunno, man. If he can get Rodman to tune in for an entire season, I'd say anything is possible. One thing is for certain, on paper, a Kobe/Ron Ron tandem looks formidable. Regardless, they still need a reliable PG before they can even think of contending.

Tinsley?

(And give us a big.)

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Rodman "behaved" becasue he knew that at any moment Michael Jordan could call him out publicly...and he'd have zero chance of winning a battle against Michael.

sweabs
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
It's interesting, because I'm sure from Phil's standpoint he is starting to see some resemblances if this trade were to happen:

Kobe = MJ.
Ron = Pippen.

He may be thinking along those lines...so I'm sure he'd be interested.

McKeyFan
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
he said RELIABLE pg

He can be reliable in their minds. And we get a big.

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Idk what Donnie says is young..he wants young talent..(JO and DD in 00)

26..wow did know that..Ron is 26 right? bday was 11-13

So he's a week younger than Odom (born 11-06-79)

Dukins
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
If we trade Ron for Kandiman or Lenard I'm killing someone

havent almost posted in a year, but this is how i feel about the situation. It would be great to have Odom here if thats something that can happen. OTOH my best deal is to New York. OMG Frye was on fire last night. 30 pts and 7 reb. we could really use a young center. Oh well enough with dreaming.

Best deals thats being talked about would be New York, Clippers, or Lakers.

Mordecaii
12-13-2005, 01:06 PM
havent almost posted in a year, but this is how i feel about the situation. It would be great to have Odom here if thats something that can happen. OTOH my best deal is to New York. OMG Frye was on fire last night. 30 pts and 7 reb. we could really use a young center. Oh well enough with dreaming.

Best deals thats being talked about would be New York, Clippers, or Lakers.

I liked the proposed deal with Washington with us getting Jared Jeffries and Caron Butler...

Arcadian
12-13-2005, 02:10 PM
The Reason there is talk of moving Odom to the four is because when Brown was out The Lakers really had no one who could score up front. It wasn't because of Odom's lack of quickness it was because of the Lakers' lack of talent.

FreshPrince22
12-13-2005, 02:32 PM
I've seen Odom plenty over the last couple years (recently moved to LA), and I can tell you that he is not half as good as his reputation. His jumpshot sucks. Occasionally he can knock down shots, but most nights he's a brick layer if he isn't posting up smaller guys.

Still, it's probably your best option at this point. He is a solid rebounder and a good passer for his size.

Arcadian
12-13-2005, 02:38 PM
Odom will remind a lot of people of Derrick McKey. He is talented player who is not a scorer.

Naptown Seth
12-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I've seen Odom plenty over the last couple years (recently moved to LA), and I can tell you that he is not half as good as his reputation. His jumpshot sucks. Occasionally he can knock down shots, but most nights he's a brick layer if he isn't posting up smaller guys.

Still, it's probably your best option at this point. He is a solid rebounder and a good passer for his size.
I've seen Odom play many times, and he's one of the most versatile players in the entire league. 16/9/6 from the small forward position speaks for itself. Really skilled and really versatile. And I think playing in a winning enviorment for once would raise his game even higher. Afterall, his best season was his final season in Miami (only time hes made the playoffs) when he was a 17/10/4 player.

Odom will remind a lot of people of Derrick McKey. He is talented player who is not a scorer.
Depends on what you mean by a "scorer". Is he a huge 20+ ppg scorer? No. But he and Jackson would make a nice set of 2A 2B scorers putting up around 15-18 each behind Jermaine. And Odom's passing and especialy his awesome rebounding sure would be a welcomed addition to the team.

Hoop
12-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Odom = :yay:

BillS
12-13-2005, 04:53 PM

Sounds to me like he'd fit right in here ...

unstandable
12-13-2005, 05:07 PM
I think Odom is probably the most talented player the Pacers could hope to get.

The only problem is that while Odom has the versatility to play SF or PF, he has always done much better at PF. At PF he can exploit his quickness advantage to blow by his defender, while at SF he's matched up against guys just as quick as him and he becomes just a jump-shooter.

tommyroblinson
12-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I would love to get Odom and agree that he would play the 3 in a Pacers uniform. Our lineup would look something like this:

C Foster
PF JO
SF Odom
SG Jack
PG Sarunas/Tinsley

I think that's pretty damn good especially with the latest developments of Danny Granger coming off the bench. Though I still don't believe these Odom rumors I think its the best possibility I've heard.

gilpdawg
12-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Don't be greedy.

I would have done the Odom deal yesterday. That may be as good as it gets.

Hoop
12-13-2005, 06:00 PM
I would love to get Odom and agree that he would play the 3 in a Pacers uniform. Our lineup would look something like this:

C Foster
PF JO
SF Odom
SG Jack
PG Sarunas/Tinsley

I think that's pretty damn good especially with the latest developments of Danny Granger coming off the bench. Though I still don't believe these Odom rumors I think its the best possibility I've heard.I'm loving that lineup. When we want to go smaller we move JO to C Odom to PF and either put Jack at SF or bring in Granger at either F spot. All kinds of front line combinations with Cro also in the mix. Seems to good to be true though.

Mourning
12-13-2005, 06:23 PM
I like Odom, but I wonder if he would fit in our halfcourt slow it down play. I have my doubts about, because I think some of his best strengths at PF: athletycism and speed aren't going to be used the way they should be used for him to be most effective.

Still it's no doubt one of the better options, besides Caron Butler, Peja (whether you like him or not) and Pietrus IF these were to be offered. Still I think LA will lowball us by offering George and Mihm or something like that first.

Someone also brought up something else ... what the hell do we do with all of our centers if Odom comes here and starts playing PF? Meaning moving JO even more to the Center position. Personally, I don't like that with regards to JO's durability, his long lasting contract and the risk he might breakdown earlier then expected by this not too mention again what to do with our other centers?

Pollard could expire, ok. But, Foster and Harrison also assuming Cro plays a little center on occasion.

On another note ... if we do this and send AJ away as someone proposed then... wow! Our backcourt looks a lot more shaky to me in depth, so I'm not in favour of that. I'd rather just send them Pollard for a smaller ending contract in return if they have one.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

Eindar
12-13-2005, 07:15 PM
I like Odom, but I wonder if he would fit in our halfcourt slow it down play. I have my doubts about, because I think some of his best strengths at PF: athletycism and speed aren't going to be used the way they should be used for him to be most effective.

Still it's no doubt one of the better options, besides Caron Butler, Peja (whether you like him or not) and Pietrus IF these were to be offered. Still I think LA will lowball us by offering George and Mihm or something like that first.

Someone also brought up something else ... what the hell do we do with all of our centers if Odom comes here and starts playing PF? Meaning moving JO even more to the Center position. Personally, I don't like that with regards to JO's durability, his long lasting contract and the risk he might breakdown earlier then expected by this not too mention again what to do with our other centers?

Pollard could expire, ok. But, Foster and Harrison also assuming Cro plays a little center on occasion.

On another note ... if we do this and send AJ away as someone proposed then... wow! Our backcourt looks a lot more shaky to me in depth, so I'm not in favour of that. I'd rather just send them Pollard for a smaller ending contract in return if they have one.

Regards,

How is our backcourt "shaky" by dealing away AJ? We'd still have Sarunas and Tinsley at point, with Fred backing it up when Tinsley is injured. You'd still have Jackson and Jones, and theoretically Granger at the 2. That's still far deeper than most teams in the league, especially at PG. If you're so worried about Tinsley's health that you have to keep 2 reliable PGs behind him, it's time to deal him, because that's not going to win you a championship.

Oh, also, to the other poster, just because Odom CAN play PF, doesn't mean he HAS to. There's no way, for instance, that we'll see JO slide to center against Yao, or Ilgauskas, or Shaq. But on nights where he's playing against Amare, or K-Mart/Camby, he can play a lot at C with little fear of wearing himself out. All I'm saying is that Odom gives us more options in terms of matchups, like Al used to. The fact that he's an excellent passer and solid rebounder is just an added bonus. I'm telling you guys, he's just the type of player we need.

NCPacer
12-13-2005, 07:40 PM
I like getting Odom as well. But another note for Atlanta, with DW saying he doesn't necessarily want veterans. What about Artest/Pollard for Al/Josh Smith or Childress or even Williams (I know, wishful thinking). Gives us a veteran to take Ron's spot until Granger is ready, plus a young guy to develop into a star. Gives Atlanta an All Star plus a big man. Pollard is better than any big man they have.

Mourning
12-13-2005, 08:10 PM
How is our backcourt "shaky" by dealing away AJ? We'd still have Sarunas and Tinsley at point, with Fred backing it up when Tinsley is injured. You'd still have Jackson and Jones, and theoretically Granger at the 2. That's still far deeper than most teams in the league, especially at PG. If you're so worried about Tinsley's health that you have to keep 2 reliable PGs behind him, it's time to deal him, because that's not going to win you a championship.

Oh, also, to the other poster, just because Odom CAN play PF, doesn't mean he HAS to. There's no way, for instance, that we'll see JO slide to center against Yao, or Ilgauskas, or Shaq. But on nights where he's playing against Amare, or K-Mart/Camby, he can play a lot at C with little fear of wearing himself out. All I'm saying is that Odom gives us more options in terms of matchups, like Al used to. The fact that he's an excellent passer and solid rebounder is just an added bonus. I'm telling you guys, he's just the type of player we need.

I said "shakey in depth". Hey, I really like Tinsley, but I have about had it with the injuries, so I wouldn't mind dealing him anymore now if we just got something with a little less quality, but a lot more durability back. That would be good for the team and the balance in what sort of players we have. However, I just have a feeling Tins won't be dealt until just before the trade deadline or after the play-offs in the summer.

IF that's the case and AJ does leave along with Ron and we dont immediately get something reliable back in the PG spot than I'm not happy with that spot, because Tins is going to be injured a lot in all likelyhood again the rest of the season and I don't want either Eddie or Freddie playing the point, so with Tins down that would leave us with just one reliable PG at best, I'm not comfortable with that at all, certainly not if our backup SG also will have to start playing considerable time as a back up PG (where I don't like his play).

And Odom is certainly capeable of playing at SF, but he seems to have groomed more and more as a mobile PF and it seems he's also been used more in that direction. Don't make a mistake, I like him, but I'm just not sure if he fits the make up of the rest of our team.

Regards,