PDA

View Full Version : Star-Monteith on Pacers' Options (Comments from Al, Walsh and Reggie)

Bball
12-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Any takers for Artest?
Pacers say they will try to trade him

By Mark Montieth
mark.montieth@indystar.com

Al Harrington knows all too well what can happen when an NBA player demands a trade. And it's not always pretty.

Harrington, frustrated over his limited opportunities as a reserve, asked the Indiana Pacers for a trade following the 2003-04 season. He got it. To Atlanta, where he's getting all the opportunity a player could desire and is stuck with the NBA's worst team.

Had Ron Artest called his former teammate before going public with his trade request, he would have received a few earfuls of advice.

"If I was in his position, there's no way I'd ever want to leave Indiana," Harrington said in a telephone interview Monday evening. "No way in the world. To have the opportunity he had there and to be on a winning team, too? That's a no-brainer."

It's ironic, then, that Artest's wish to leave the Pacers could bring back Harrington. That, at least, is one of the more plausible scenarios as the Pacers begin their scavenger hunt for a suitable deal for their controversial All-Star forward.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said Monday he'll try to grant Artest's request, but emphasized he'll remain selective. He might not be able to get equal value in return, but he'll insist on a trade that makes long-term sense.
"You can bet on that," he said.

The most logical step seems to be to try to trade Artest for a starting small forward. Walsh, however, said Stephen Jackson can make a short-term switch to small forward, as he did last season when Artest was suspended for the season's final 73 games, and that rookie Danny Granger shows promise as a long-term replacement. Those options will allow Walsh to consider players who play other positions, or to work out a package deal that includes several players.

"Whatever the best option is, that's what we'll go for," Walsh said. "You're always conscious of position and where you need help, but we have a pretty deep roster. Whatever the option is, if it's out there and it works for us, we'll take it."

Artest's salary of $6.8 million is low for a player of his caliber, which complicates the Pacers' challenge. If he is traded for one or more players, the incoming contracts would have to match his salary within 125 percent. Deals can be leveled with draft picks and/or cash.

Harrington is one of the few players reasonably close to Artest in talent who falls into that category. He's in the final year of the four-year contract extension he signed with the Pacers in October 2002, and while he has stated no public wish to leave Atlanta after this season, it's at least a strong possibility.

Atlanta, then, could get an All-Star under contract through the 2007-08 season for a player it might lose without compensation after this season. Artest has an option for the 2008-09 season and will almost certainly take it.
The Pacers, however, would risk losing Harrington after this season.
Harrington, who speaks almost daily with Pacers forward Jermaine O'Neal, chose his words carefully when asked about the possibility of returning. But he wouldn't be opposed to it.

"I guess I'd embrace it and come in and play hard and play the best I could," said Harrington, who averages 17.1 points and 8.2 rebounds for the Hawks. "I'm not in control of that. But I wouldn't be mad, you know what I'm saying?
"It's not my choice. But Indiana's a great team and it would be a great opportunity."

Sacramento forward Peja Stojakovic has been mentioned in trade rumors for Artest in seasons past, although Walsh said Monday he has never attempted to move Artest. Stojakovic is known as a great shooter but a poor defender and rebounder. He has slumped this season, averaging 18 points on 43 percent shooting, but is a three-time All-Star and a career 40 percent 3-point shooter.

The Kings, meanwhile, are struggling at 9-12 and might want to upgrade their defense.

Another possibility in a one-for-one trade might be Dallas swingman Jerry Stackhouse, who played one season for Pacers coach Rick Carlisle in Detroit. Stackhouse, who hasn't played this season because of a sore knee, averaged 14.9 points off the Mavericks' bench last season.

The Mavericks are emphasizing defense more under coach Avery Johnson, and Artest listed Dallas as a team he would be comfortable with in his conversation with The Star on Saturday.

Artest also listed New York and Cleveland as favorable destinations.
The Knicks seem less equipped to make a one-for-one deal, though. Jamal Crawford, Quentin Richardson and Malik Rose are their only players within range of Artest's salary.

Artest also said he would be willing to back up LeBron James in Cleveland. James told Cleveland reporters Monday he would welcome Artest.
"Every team in this league could use a guy like Ron Artest," James said. "There's no doubt about it."

Former Pacers guard Reggie Miller doesn't see that happening, however. Citing Harrington as an example, Miller said he expects Artest to wind up with a losing team.

"Where's (Ron) going to be happy, Toronto?" Miller said Monday. "You think Al's happy right now?

"It's like I tell guys all the time . . . the grass isn't always greener on the other side. I told Al, 'Be careful, because it ain't like (Walsh) is going to ship you to Detroit or San Antonio,' where he can come back and hurt us. That would be stupid. So if he (Artest) thinks he's going to go to New York, or if he thinks he's going to go to Cleveland -- unless they send us LeBron back -- only way he's going to Cleveland is if he's going to The Flats."
Walsh disputed that notion, however.

"It doesn't matter," he said. "It's whoever offers us the best deal for our team."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051213/SPORTS04/512130427

Bball
12-13-2005, 05:43 AM
Artest has an option for the 2008-09 season and will almost certainly take it.

Montieth is trying to use logic in his conclusion about Ron Artest's thought process on his contract option. As I said in another thread, trying to figure out Ron Artest's thought process is like searching for proof of Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster. Lots of people have tried but no one has ever accomplished the task!

Actually, I'd bet Artest wouldn't take the option regardless of his market value at the time or success with whatever team he's with. ...If he is still in the NBA and not boxing or 'rasslin' on the WWE circuit by then.

-Bball

scar
12-13-2005, 06:09 AM
I love the thought of getting baby Al back. Then Atlanta can turn around and deal Artest somewhere else, kind of like they did with Sheed.

Atlanta, the NBA's pitstop.

Hicks
12-13-2005, 07:10 AM
I'd be happy if we got Al for Ron.

12-13-2005, 07:30 AM
When I first heard this, I didn't like it. Mostly because I still couldn't wrap myself around what Artest was doing.

But now that I've had time to actually think clearly. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But what # would he take? Runi has his #3.

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 07:31 AM
Al for Ron=YES

Peja for Ron=YES

Stackhouse for Ron=NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO NONONONONONONONONONONONON *gasp* NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

I DO NOT want Stackhouse or Al. AL would take minutes away from Danny and is young enough that DG would never start....unless we Dale Davis Al Harrington. Let him come in for the remainder of this season, play out his contract, and then let him go find his own team. IIRC Al is in his contract year. We won't wanna bump his salary and further wreck our cap numbers.

Will Galen
12-13-2005, 07:36 AM
Al in my opinion would be one of the favorites for replacing Ron. Hes averging 17.1 points, 8.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists, and 1.35 steals.

He's playing it cool, but I think he's holding his breath hoping he comes back to the Pacers. And I don't see him bolting next year for greener pastures. "If I was in his position, there's no way I'd ever want to leave Indiana," Harrington said in a telephone interview Monday evening. "No way in the world. To have the opportunity he had there and to be on a winning team, too? That's a no-brainer."

However, his coach has already said he doesn't want to lose Al. He said Al's been the chief glue, the player in the locker room holding the Hawks together. That's really good news from the Pacers stand point.

Another point about Al, he's already famliar with Carlisle's system, so he could be plugged right in. The question, can he still play small forward?

Another question. Could the Pacers inlarge a trade with Altanta and get one of their young shooting guards? Other than Joe Johnson, the hawks won't deal him, plus he's way overpaid.

Someone want to play with this thought?

Eindar
12-13-2005, 07:51 AM
Atlanta Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Al Harrington
6-9 SF from St. Patrick's (HS)
17.1 ppg, 8.2 rpg, 3.5 apg in 37.2 minutes
Josh Childress
6-8 SF from Stanford
7.6 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 1.2 apg in 26.5 minutes
Incoming
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
19.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg in 37.8 minutes
Jamaal Tinsley
6-3 PG from Iowa State
9.9 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 5.5 apg in 27.5 minutes
Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, -4.3 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
Jamaal Tinsley
6-3 PG from Iowa State
Incoming
Al Harrington
Josh Childress
6-8 SF from Stanford
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, +4.3 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

What do you think? Also works for Josh Smith, btw. Gives them the PG they desperately need, gives us the stability we need at the swingman positions, a very solid backup for JO also, and clears our logjam at PG, to boot.

Erg, one problem. Looks like Al is their only real PF on the roster. I'm not sure they'd trade him unless they got one back, or a Center. Maybe if we threw Pollard or Samaki Walker in there? Otherwise it's Jeff, Hulk, or Austin, and I'm not crazy about trading any of those guys as "filler".

Will Galen
12-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Atlanta Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Al Harrington
Josh Childress
6-8 SF from Stanford
Incoming
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
Jamaal Tinsley
6-3 PG from Iowa State
Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, -4.3 rpg, and +3.0 apg.

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
Jamaal Tinsley
6-3 PG from Iowa State
Incoming
Al Harrington
Josh Childress
6-8 SF from Stanford
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, +4.3 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

What do you think? Also works for Josh Smith, btw. Gives them the PG they desperately need, gives us the stability we need at the swingman positions, a very solid backup for JO also, and clears our logjam at PG, to boot.

Erg, one problem. Looks like Al is their only real PF on the roster. I'm not sure they'd trade him unless they got one back, or a Center. Maybe if we threw Pollard or Samaki Walker in there? Otherwise it's Jeff, Hulk, or Austin, and I'm not crazy about trading any of those guys as "filler".

Ron's 260, let him get beat up playing PF.

Doug in CO
12-13-2005, 09:58 AM
If I am Al, and I really want to get back to Indiana, I go to Billy Knight and tell him - you can have me for 60 more games or you can have Artest for almost 3 years - because I am out of here after this year.

THEN I mention to Jermaine - who he talks to every day - that he was a) sorry he asked for a trade and b) would sign an extension with the Pacers... and that if he wanted to mention that to Donnie (or Mr. Irrelevant Larry Bird), then all the better

As crazy as it sounds, we may have to throw in a #1 pick to get this done

Think that is insane - wait until you see all the other bottom of the barrel offers that will be out there

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Al was an inspirational leader and clubhouse glue type guy. Everybody loved him. Does anybody remember how the WHOLE TEAM was crushed when he blew his knee out years ago?
Exact opposite of Ron Artest.
I think Al would cream his jeans to come back here. He's all but saying it.

I might get a slight chubby myself. (NO I"M NOT GAY!!!!!!)

PacerMan
12-13-2005, 10:05 AM
Think that is insane - wait until you see all the other bottom of the barrel offers that will be out there

No #1 included. I'm not sure your correct on the above. There are plenty of teams that don't know all the crap that went on. They see a top 10 player that wants out. Baggage for sure, but that's not stopped plenty of Ahoe's from having long careers in this league. They see bargain shopping.
Somebody will ante up decently. JMO
Al would be find with me. As would Peja. Hell, I'd move him for a bag of stale doughnuts and a sour carton of milk.

Frank Slade
12-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I'd be happy if we got Al for Ron.
:laugh: Al sounds homesick... he basicaly stopped short of saying boy did I screw up. I'd would love to have him back..

dryles
12-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Is it just me? Or have the Pacers aquired more ex-Pacers back after trading them than any other teams out there? I don't follow the entire NBA too closely, but we sure seem to get a lot of players more than once!

Not that there's anything wrong with that.....:D

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 12:12 PM
AL is going to be a Pacer again BOOK IT

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
:laugh: Al sounds homesick... he basicaly stopped short of saying boy did I screw up. I'd would love to have him back..

At the risk of offending the Sopranos......are you outta yer freaking mind???

Bball
12-13-2005, 12:21 PM
Can Al play SF or will he be PF and O Neal center...
or will Al be center?

How does Al fit in this current lineup?

-Bball

Jermaniac
12-13-2005, 12:25 PM
Tins-Jack-Danny-Al-JO, OMG I'm drooling

McKeyFan
12-13-2005, 12:35 PM
Not Al, the black hole. We can do better.

Doug
12-13-2005, 12:41 PM
Ron + Fred for Josh Howard + Stackhouse works.

I don't much care for Stackhouse at this point in his career. But his contract is up at the end of NEXT year, so he'd come off of the books the same time as Austin.

BigDawg44
12-13-2005, 12:42 PM
that sounds like a pretty solid defensive line up if you ask me......

BigDawg44
12-13-2005, 12:45 PM
al might have been a black hole when he was here, but he was young....he has matured while being on the hawks...you might say he is a black hole now...but he is on the hawks, he is one of the top 2 talents on the team he doesnt have much of a choice. also, i think if he came back he would be great for our team. JO will be happy and pumped to have his best friend back, al would do wonders in the locker room. plus, i think his black hole days are behind him (if he is on a good team)

sweabs
12-13-2005, 12:48 PM
Can Al play SF or will he be PF and O Neal center...
or will Al be center?

How does Al fit in this current lineup?

-Bball

Exactly my thoughts as well. And the same goes for Odom...

If you're going to play either one of those 2 at PF, then do you force JO to play the 5 spot all year? Even at that, we have a very small frontline.

Or, if you choose to play these guys at the SF spot, neither of them can defend most 3 guards in the league.

I don't know...I'm not crazy about it. They just don't seem to fit in nicely.

Shade
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Al is my #2 choice behind Odom, even if he leaves at the end of the season.

sweabs
12-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Do you think we would put Bosh at PF or Centre?

Duh? He'd so obviously be at PF so him and Charlie Villanueva could easily switch with one another.

kybjones
12-13-2005, 12:56 PM
If Donnie trades to get Al back in a "mulligan" deal, he might as well give them Eddie Johnson and Vincent Askew and have them throw in Jalen Ro........... errrrr, Marvin Williams.

VBG

mugsy27
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
just curious...can we make any trade we want with ron, or does he have some say in what team he goes to (like in baseball)??

Mordecaii
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM
we can trade him anywhere we want, he has no real say in it.

denyfizle
12-13-2005, 03:30 PM
Al for Ron is fine but I bet we will lose him at season's end coz he will be commanding nice offers especially if he plays good for us. Just get Peja, Odom or Lewis