PDA

View Full Version : New York Newsday: If they can get Ron cheap, OK (Knicks)

Bball
12-13-2005, 01:36 AM
If they can get Ron cheap, OK
Dec 13, 2005

Artest says he wants to be a Knick

Do you place a call to Indiana? Of course. The Pacers are waiting by the phone. They're expecting you.

Do you make an offer for him? Again, that's a no-brainer. He may be borderline psycho, but he's also borderline All-Star. So yeah, you make a sales pitch.

Do you sacrifice a good chunk of the future to get him? Uh, no.

That's where any Knicks interest should end regarding Ron Artest and the chance to bring him home.

On one hand, he's a defensive pest, a gutsy player not afraid to take the last shot and a solid fit at small forward, exactly what the Knicks need. On the other hand, he's trouble.

That's the complete package. That's Artest, a relentless all-around player who seems as if he's everywhere, and also a misguided soul who isn't all there.

So the Knicks should proceed dutifully yet carefully when participating in the pending NBA auction for a player who, talent-wise, would expedite their development.

Isiah Thomas, who coached Artest for 1� seasons in Indy and loves his toughness, wouldn't mind having him on a roster that lacks what Artest brings. Larry Brown craves to coach someone who accepts the challenge of guarding the other team's go-to guy.

And the fans, still miffed about the Knicks' decision to pass on the St. John's star in the draft and choose Frederic Weis, a Frenchman softer than a croissant, would applaud the sight of Artest back home, where he should've been in the first place.

All true.

But there's a catch, you know, with a guy who carries more baggage than Paris Hilton's valet.

Artest comes with serious issues, among them whether he's all for the team or all for himself. His ego and pride meant more than the Pacers when he started the nasty brawl at the Palace last year and was suspended for the rest of the season, ruining any chance for Indiana to make a championship run.

Now, just two months into a season in which he pledged to stay clear of trouble, he says he needs more shots and hates playing for a coach who, by the way, preaches the same gospel as Brown.

"When I first came here," Artest told the Indianapolis Star over the weekend, "all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense ... I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense."

He forced his exit by adding that the Pacers would "be better off without me," and the Pacers agree. He said he wants to play in New York. But this is where it gets dicey for the Knicks.

First: Pacers president Larry Bird would have to do business with Isiah. That would be interesting, given how Bird snatched Isiah's coaching job and handed it to Rick Carlisle, and how Isiah hasn't forgotten that, and how Isiah seems hell-bent on getting revenge, one way or another. Bird would think twice before dealing with Isiah, of all people.

Second: Why would the Pacers send Artest to a team in the East when a straight-up offer for Peja Stojakovic, the unhappy Kings shooter and potential Reggie Miller replacement, has been yellowing on the table since the summer?

Third: Even if the Knicks could swing a deal, aren't New York-born players, especially those as risky as Artest, better off as far from home as possible?

Fourth: Suppose the Pacers demand Channing Frye? The Knicks might regret it.

Thanks to Isiah's decision to go young, something the Knicks should've done right after Patrick Ewing left, the team is headed in the right direction. This isn't the time to give up Frye, a solid guy and a candidate to be the face of the franchise someday, or even Eddy Curry, a true center in a league that lacks many. This is the time to develop those players, let them learn from the best teacher in basketball and allow the team to grow into a down-the-road contender.

If the Pacers are nuttier than Artest and the Knicks can get him cheap, great, they should do it. Otherwise, leave the fantasizing about a homecoming to Artest.

Email: shaun.powell@newsday.com

http://www.nynewsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-sppow1213,0,5094862.column?coll=nyc-sportshome-headlines

Bball
12-13-2005, 01:45 AM
CBS Sportsline

Artest formerly known as Pacer?

Ron Artest, nursing an injured wrist and out of the Indiana lineup the past few games, still managed to have his typical resounding impact with a zany trade request. It was a request, mind you, not a demand, because it was put forth very gently, with such backhanded compliments as "I like Coach (Rick Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for him."

There was also the expressed desire to become a larger part of the offense, because, as he so eloquently put it, players who score points get paid.

As someone who loves watching Artest do all the little things to help a team win, such as bang the boards, sneak into a passing lane (he does lead the league in steals), completely shut down an opponent and play smart team basketball, I must raise the question, "Yo Ron, why are you selling out?"

"I need to score more points so I can make more money." Are you serious? No one in the game can do what you do, and now you want to step down a notch to do what almost all of them can, concentrating your efforts on putting the ball in the hole? Are times really that tough? TruWarier not taking off like you thought it would?

If I'm Larry Bird, a huge Artest fan, I do my best to knock some sense into him, because he's clearly going off on the wrong path again. This is even worse than when he asked for time off to devote to his music career, and we all remember what that preceded. If he can't be reached, he should be dealt for the best possible package.

His preferred destination is New York, which is home base. He should have started his career there, but the geniuses running the Knicks back then opted for Frederic Weis instead. Unfortunate, sure, but to try to force a trade there now is a bad move.

Let me put it to you in a way you'll understand it, Ronnie. The Knicks are not a playoff squad, so that kind of limits the exposure you would no doubt receive in May and June, no? That's bad for business.

Artest feels he's got baggage he can't get rid of while playing in Indiana, given last season's long suspension, but what he doesn't realize is that keeping his mouth shut and helping the team win by simply doing the things that make him so special would be the best way to make people forget the past. Plus the fans in Indiana welcomed him back with open arms, so why is he turning his back on them? That's simply foul. Expect another chapter of this soap opera to unfold this week, especially if he's in the lineup at Conseco for Utah's visit on Friday night.

Pacers fans didn't boo him before, but they should now.

http://www.sportsline.com/nba/story/9092877

Will Galen
12-13-2005, 01:46 AM
No Frye? Goodby!

Shade
12-13-2005, 01:59 AM
No Frye? Goodby!

I like it. And it rhymes. :nod:

Shade
12-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Bird: "That's one nutcase to go."
Zeke: "Would you like Frye with that?"

Mordecaii
12-13-2005, 02:26 AM

:lol: :lol2: :lmao:

rabid
12-13-2005, 02:27 AM

HAHAHAHA OMG, that is so awesome that it's worth my first post in over a month.

CableKC
12-13-2005, 03:21 AM
What the 1st article points out...is valid. Frye appears to be a solid PF/C. If I were in the Knicks shoes...I wouldn't do a Artest for Frye deal.

Naptown Seth
12-13-2005, 03:25 AM
What the 1st article points out...is valid. Frye appears to be a solid PF/C. If I were in the Knicks shoes...I wouldn't do a Artest for Frye deal.
Frye is the 2nd coming of Eddy Curry - nice awesome, crappy rebounder and defender.

hoopsforlife
12-13-2005, 06:20 AM
Would the Knicks do a Tinsley Artest for Antonio Davis and Frye?
I have know clue if it works or not but I would do that.

317Kim
12-13-2005, 06:27 AM
Nap..your sig iz freekin funny...ina mean way..but somewhat true...:laugh:

Eindar
12-13-2005, 08:06 AM
Would getting Curry and Q in a trade for Ron be a bad thing? Obviously we'd have to even out salaries, but it would be about equal from a talent standpoint.

Dukins
12-13-2005, 08:37 AM
we definitely have to get frye in the deal. that youngen is going to be special. to sweeten the deal they could through in nate robinson.

Willbo
12-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Would the Knicks do a Tinsley Artest for Antonio Davis and Frye?
I have know clue if it works or not but I would do that.

I would do this, curry is damaged goods and frye looks the real deal

NPFII
12-13-2005, 10:20 AM
The Knicks don't have anything useful.
Frye is a bubble that will burst. I saw him play a game, and he's a degraded Granger playing on an awful team.
Curry is a black-hole type Center. Any ball that goes in NEVER comes out.
Q is over the hill and injured all the time
Crawford is a bust even in NY
Robinson is good, but tiny and highlight-prone
Starbury ruins franchises
Ariza is a bust as well - shoots 49% from the line...
Rose is old
AD is even older

Absolutely nothing worth dealing for.