PDA

View Full Version : Does Mr.Boyle still lurk here at PD

Unclebuck
12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
He's a big fan of Artest's game, calling him clearly the best player on the team. Other than that, I don't know

Bball
12-12-2005, 11:14 PM
And by Mr.Boyler I mean Mr.Boyle

You can fix the title with the EDIT and then ADVANCED buttons...

I would be curious to hear Mr Boyle's take on this as well... and whether he thinks this gets to the root of the problem or whether other players could be involved as part of the problem(s) of late.

-Bball

GO!!!!!
12-12-2005, 11:15 PM
I doubt he'll say something publicy on here, he'll be reading most of the posts but woulden't risk anything but a short sentence, I respect his position and would do the same

I just wonder what he feels, maybe he had a hunch this was gonna happen or maybe he's just shattered by the betrayel...

Kaufman
12-12-2005, 11:52 PM
He logged on today so clearly he has a pulse on Pacer Nation.

DisplacedKnick
12-13-2005, 12:02 AM
I imagine he's following this story somewhere other than here. :(

mboyle1313
12-13-2005, 12:21 AM
VA,

My feeling on this is simple. I think Ron has made a serious mistake, and I feel bad for him.

Many of you know that I hold Ron in high esteem and would like to see him succeed. However, I think the conclusions he has come to are erroneous, and I don't think it likely that he'll find a better situation than the one he has currently.

Ron hasn't done anything to me, so there's no reason for me to feel betrayed. I can see why his teammates, coaches, and Pacer management would feel betrayed, though. They backed him when it really wasn't the wisest course of action, and he has clearly let them down.

In short, I hope it works out for Ron, though I am not optimistic that it will. Other than that, my approach is to go to work Wednesday night and broadcast the game involving the players that will be there. As I've shared with those on this board in the past, I think that getting too emotionally involved with the team makes for a bad broadcast, though the popularity and longevity of the Bob Lamey types make a powerful argument against that theory.

MJB

Kaufman
12-13-2005, 12:28 AM
Mark, thanks for your candidness. Its nice to hear what someone closer to the team thinks about the issue, and at that, someone we all consider a friend and fellow PD'er.

Have a great call Wednesday night. Miss your voice down here in Lexington.

SoupIsGood
12-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Mark, just wanted to say that you and Rick run a great show on Thursdays. :) This weeks show should be interesting....

I'll try to call in and ask about Harrison so it's not an Artestathon. :)

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 08:52 AM
VA,

My feeling on this is simple. I think Ron has made a serious mistake, and I feel bad for him.

Many of you know that I hold Ron in high esteem and would like to see him succeed. However, I think the conclusions he has come to are erroneous, and I don't think it likely that he'll find a better situation than the one he has currently.

Ron hasn't done anything to me, so there's no reason for me to feel betrayed. I can see why his teammates, coaches, and Pacer management would feel betrayed, though. They backed him when it really wasn't the wisest course of action, and he has clearly let them down.

In short, I hope it works out for Ron, though I am not optimistic that it will. Other than that, my approach is to go to work Wednesday night and broadcast the game involving the players that will be there. As I've shared with those on this board in the past, I think that getting too emotionally involved with the team makes for a bad broadcast, though the popularity and longevity of the Bob Lamey types make a powerful argument against that theory.

MJB

MJB, I could not agree more.

I certainly appreciate your approach to doing play by play. Please don't ever change.

Doug in CO
12-13-2005, 09:19 AM
Mark -

I know you do not do the talk radio thing any more- but having spent time in Indy, listening to you, then CT listening to the big boys on the FAN (where you came from) - I have to say I wish you would. Your style was excellent - professional, entertaining, funny.... ballsy.

Way too many crappy talk radio hosts out there (here in Cleveland for example) to have a good one on the bench.

Slick Pinkham
12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Mark, you have no doubt noticed how devoted most of the fans here are. It's hard to not take this a little bit personally. Maybe if the Pacers were our livelihood instead of our obsession we could look at this as analytically as you do.

Uncle Buck has called this like a rough divorce, and wondered how anyone could feel any positive feelings. I wanted Ron to make it work, and do feel bad for him.

But... it's like a divorce where you've finally kicked out the wife after she has cheated on you for years, you went through councilling, you gave here 515 second chances, she didn't change one bit, and she even kicked you in the groin as she walked out the door.

For a short while you worry about getting another girlfriend or wife half as pretty ever again, but at some point you sit up in bed in the middle of the night and literally shout "It's over, it's finally over!" with a big smile on your face. From that moment on it feels good, just to have it over with and not have to deal with the day-to-day headaches.

Ron has made a terrible choice for himself, but I think that the Pacers will benefit. The Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Ron Artest me-me-me type players seem to combine for precisely zero championships in their collective careers.

Grant
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
VA,

MJB

Ron is known to spout off and say stuff like this. He'll say he's going to retire in a couple of years, and do music, or box, or fly to the moon, or whatever.

And people just say "That's Ron being Ron...." But this is obviously different. He probably had some friction in the locker room, and stuck his foot in his mouth.

I agree that he literally made the biggest mistake of his career, bigger than 11/19. This is toothpaste that won't go back in the tube.

Maybe a fresh start will do him good. I doubt it though. And I feel bad for him. And worse for us. Its usually the common fan that gets screwed the most.

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Mark, you have no doubt noticed how devoted most of the fans here are. It's hard to not take this a little bit personally. Maybe if the Pacers were our livelihood instead of our obsession we could look at this as analytically as you do.

Uncle Buck has called this like a rough divorce, and wondered how anyone could feel any positive feelings. I wanted Ron to make it work, and do feel bad for him.

But... it's like a divorce where you've finally kicked out the wife after she has cheated on you for years, you went through councilling, you gave here 515 second chances, she didn't change one bit, and she even kicked you in the groin as she walked out the door.

For a short while you worry about getting another girlfriend or wife half as pretty ever again, but at some point you sit up in bed in the middle of the night and literally shout "It's over, it's finally over!" with a big smile on your face. From that moment on it feels good, just to have it over with and not have to deal with the day-to-day headaches.

Ron has made a terrible choice for himself, but I think that the Pacers will benefit. The Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, Ron Artest me-me-me type players seem to combine for precisely zero championships in their collective careers. (DENNIS RODMAN= rings..but then he had Michael to control him)

You knew my first wife didn't you. (thaz ok....eveybody in the 7th fleet knew her too)

Reggie4Three
12-13-2005, 09:56 AM
MJB, I could not agree more.

I certainly appreciate your approach to doing play by play. Please don't ever change.

Make that two of us. I love your approach and I can't listen to Bob Lamey even though I am a huge fan of both teams.

Thank you for being the Pacers radio guy.

mboyle1313
12-13-2005, 10:25 AM
PacerTom,

Good analogy.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. Ron's elimination from the mix will likely be a mixed blessing. His play will be missed and is probably irreplacable. Still, changing the mix may result in some positives as well, though it's obvious that all of the issues that have been discussed in great detail (maturity, profesionalism, comittment to team, etc.) are still in play.

I'm curious as to how those that remain will respond.

MJB

jrm7one
12-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Just as last year's team responded so well to losing Artest by winning so many games in his absense, could it be that this year's team responds the same way, maybe better?

mboyle1313
12-13-2005, 10:56 AM
jrm7one,

Hopefully. But it should be clear to all concerned that #15 isn't the only one with issues. The question is still out there: Is this group professional enough to win? Early returns are not encouraging, but it's a long season.

And by winning, I mean contending. Barring injury, this group will win 50 regardless of whether or not they address their issues. As I've repeatedly stated, teams like Detroit and San Antonio play for championships because, in addition to having the requisite talent to get the job done, they understand and embrace the intangibles.

MJB

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
The question is still out there: Is this group professional enough to win? Early returns are not encouraging, but it's a long season.

Um, the early returns without Ron are indeed very encouraging. Back-to-back wins; one against a top-tier Western conference team.

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Um, the early returns without Ron are indeed very encouraging. Back-to-back wins; one against a top-tier Western conference team.

Consistency would be even more encouraging. I don't think two games makes things anymore encouraging.

Shade
12-13-2005, 11:06 AM

True, but it's still very early in the season. There's a looooot of b-ball yet to be played.

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Mr. Mark Boyle, sir

Have you spoken with Slick since this all went down and what can you tell us about his reaction?

Harmonica
12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Consistency would be even more encouraging. I don't think two games makes things anymore encouraging.

True. But he said early returns without Ron are not encouraging. That's simply not an accurate observation based on the two games we've played recently without him. And yes, it's a long season with a lot of time to improve. That's obvious.

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
True. But he said early returns without Ron are not encouraging. That's simply not an accurate observation based on the two games we've played recently without him. And yes, it's a long season with a lot of time to improve. That's obvious.

Well it is possible to look bad and still win the game. But I see your point as well.

mboyle1313
12-13-2005, 11:31 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies, if any are lurking),

I certainly did not say, nor did I mean to imply, that early returns without Ron are not encouraging.

By early returns, I meant the first 19 games. Two games do not provide enough evidence to draw any sort of rational conclusion, either positive or negative. My premise, as it relates to early retuns not being encouraging, is drawn based on my opinion that Ron is far from the only problem, and his eradication, while useful from a chemistry standpoint, doesn't entirely address the issues I've previously mentioned, and it creates an entirely new problem. Specifically, it is extremely unlikely that he will be replaced in terms of on court productivity.

Hope this makes my point clearer to those that didn't understand it.

MJB

P.S to Geezer: I have spoken with Slick about this, but it is not my place to speak for him.

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 11:37 AM

I certainly did not say, nor did I mean to imply, that early returns without Ron are not encouraging.

By early returns, I meant the first 19 games. Two games do not provide enough evidence to draw any sort of rational conclusion, either positive or negative. My premise, as it relates to early retuns not being encouraging, is drawn based on my opinion that Ron is far from the only problem, and his eradication, while useful from a chemistry standpoint, doesn't entirely address the issues I've previously mentioned, and it creates an entirely new problem. Specifically, it is extremely unlikely that he will be replaced in terms of on court productivity.

MJB

P.S to Geezer: I have spoken with Slick about this, but it is not my place to speak for him.

I can certainly understand that. Since I'm originally from Terre Haute and old enough to (barely) remember Slick playing HS ball I am interested in all things Slick.

ssmall
12-13-2005, 11:38 AM
But im sure you can tell him what a great job he is doing. Some people turn off the volume on tv and turn on the radio so they could hear you two. Keep up the good work and thanks.

heywoode
12-13-2005, 11:48 AM
I can certainly understand that. Since I'm originally from Terre Haute and old enough to (barely) remember Slick playing HS ball I am interested in all things Slick.

MAN, you are OOOOOLD.....

:)

So, was Nebukadnezer a triple double guy back in the day also??!!
(Not a shot at Slick, but one at geez....)

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 11:51 AM

So, was Nebukadnezer a triple double guy back in the day also??!!

No, but he was a tremendous assist man...great court vision.

heywoode
12-13-2005, 11:52 AM

hehehe
:-p

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM

Shouldn't you be going to get coffee about right now? You haven't stopped by my office in awhile either. I keep looking out the door but you're not there. :sad:

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Shouldn't you be going to get coffee about right now? You haven't stopped by my office in awhile either. I keep looking out the door but you're not there. :sad:

That's what happens when you ask to be traded. I ain't settling for coffee now...5 shots of espresso each AM :-o

I am now leaving to go to my 3rd Christmas party in 3 days. :buddies:

BTW HD7...I love yer avatar but always thought the tag line should read...."LOOK-OUT!! It's Bobby Knight!!"

Harddrive7
12-13-2005, 12:25 PM
That's what happens when you ask to be traded. I ain't settling for coffee now...5 shots of espresso each AM :-o

I am now leaving to go to my 3rd Christmas party in 3 days. :buddies:

BTW HD7...I love yer avatar but always thought the tag line should read...."LOOK-OUT!! It's Bobby Knight!!"

:laugh:

stipo
12-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Mark,
You are to Letterman, as Lamey is to Leno.
A fan,
Stipo

(Hmmm, Lamey + Leno = Lamoe!)

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Mark,
You are to Letterman, as Lamey is to Leno.
A fan,
Stipo

ACKKKKKKKKKK HIGH SCHOOL FLASHBACK!!!! Relationships.....Geometry.....TESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BEGONE!!!

PHC Fan
12-13-2005, 01:05 PM

So, was Nebukadnezar a triple double guy back in the day also??!!
So, can we tag indygeezer as Nebukadgeezer?

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
So, can we tag indygeezer as Nebukadgeezer?

HEY, I SAID BARELY REMEMBER.....now his college ball at IU I can remeber much more better.

Actually, they were still talking about Bobby several years later. Back when HS bball was important.

and I now live next door to one of Bobby Plump's kids.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
Mr. Boyle, thanks for chiming in and giving us your opinion. It's much appreciated. Did you hear Reggie's comments yesterday? If anyone has an inside track that can speak up, I believe it's Uncle Reg. Anyway, look forward to your broadcast on Wednesday.

-Marc

heywoode
12-13-2005, 02:25 PM
HEY, I SAID BARELY REMEMBER.....

Sorry geez....

(Not really, but I hope it makes you feel better)

I used to work with a guy who had been with the company for 35 years and we were constantly reading him the riot act for being ancient...

"When God said let there be light, Steve hit the switch."

"Steve is so old, his social security number is FOUR."

...that kind of thing...

since I quit working with him directly, I've been waiting to pull out Nebukadnezer....wrong place, wrong time, man!!

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Sorry geez....

(Not really, but I hope it makes you feel better)

I used to work with a guy who had been with the company for 35 years and we were constantly reading him the riot act for being ancient...

"When God said let there be light, Steve hit the switch."

"Steve is so old, his social security number is FOUR."

...that kind of thing...

since I quit working with him directly, I've been waiting to pull out Nebukadnezer....wrong place, wrong time, man!!

Never! It's all good dude. In a few months I will celebrate 40 years with my 9-5.....damn that sounds old. (hint, my boss is 38 years old)

BillS
12-13-2005, 03:01 PM

Were there any printable words involved?

Seriously, I think you and Slick make such a great team because you are able to remain on an even keel while Slick is clearly wrapped up in the team and its progress. One of my favorite things about listening to you (which I am really only able to do over the Internet, being stuck down here in Atlanta) is hearing Slick shout encouragement to the players on the floor.

I'd pay money for a segment between you and Slick discussing the Artest situation, separate from a game because I'd like you to be able to focus on it.

Heck, I'd pay money for a weekly segment where you and Slick discuss things in general. I think there just isn't enough time or a good enough situation (or the broadcast doesn't kick in soon enough on the 'net) for this to happen during or before a game.

gilpdawg
12-13-2005, 05:32 PM

MJB

Slick would have went after Ron with a hockey stick in the locker room. Ask Neto about that.:D

Unclebuck
12-13-2005, 05:33 PM

Honeymoon period. It is like when a new coach is brought in, there is a period when the players know they have to respond, but sooner or later they resort back to their old ways.

As I said two days ago, this allows the Pacers to make some big changes to the roster, and I pray they do make huge changes.

sweabs
12-13-2005, 06:09 PM
As I said two days ago, this allows the Pacers to make some big changes to the roster, and I pray they do make huge changes.

Exactly; this team was built around the core of Ron Artest and Jermaine O'Neal. When you take Artest out of the picture, that elminates 50% of your foundation and sheds an entirely new light on the future of your franchise and the general make-up of the team.

Artest was a big part of this years' goals. With him (assuming everyone could keep their heads on straight), we were contendors. Without him, we have to re-evaluate what is left and if something can be salvaged with the surrounding pieces, or if a new direction is in place.

Bball
12-13-2005, 06:49 PM
Back when HS bball was important.

You mean it's not more important now with 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 or whatever champions every season?

-Bball

aceace
12-13-2005, 07:11 PM
Maybe the way to beat Detroit is to trade RA there :smile:

If we can get a quality 2 or 3 out of this I could see this team coming together as a family. I like JO's comments.

Bball
12-13-2005, 09:35 PM
Honeymoon period. It is like when a new coach is brought in, there is a period when the players know they have to respond, but sooner or later they resort back to their old ways.

We've got to clean all of the cancer out. Reggie said Artest wasn't the bad egg and I am going to take him at his word.

As a matter of fact, Artest's leaving might be in response to whatever person is the bad egg.

Whatever the facts are there, I don't think that the removal of Artest will fix anything longterm. If there's still a bad apple in the barrel then it's going to have to be gone sooner rather than later or it will infect the other apples as well. There might be a short-term gain with Artest's departute (because you know the team had to have some worry about Artest and now can relax on that front... and also the rallying factor of a 'kicked' team will be at play), but it will only be short-term if Artest wasn't "the bad egg". At least not the lone bad egg anyway.

-Bball

indygeezer
12-13-2005, 09:44 PM
You mean it's not more important now with 3 or 4 or 5 or 10 or whatever champions every season?

-Bball

They created 4 winners and a whole buncha teams that can't win aSectional even in their own class. Try to explain to the school board why you lost 93-76 in the opening rounds of the Class A tourney. Which is easier for them to accept a 93-76 loss to Muncie Central or a 93-76 loss to Hobbs.