PDA

View Full Version : Is Artest the only player about to leave the Pacers?

Bball
12-12-2005, 03:53 PM
I wish one of our intrepid reporters would ask Walsh if Ron will possibly be packaged with another player.... or if trading Ron alone answers all the other questions about what is wrong with the team...

I don't look for him to name names but I could see him sending a smoke signal.

I'm on record as saying there will be more moves and Ron will be packaged. I think Tinsley is the other player about to be gone. Ron might've just forced the timing of that move and moved it up or thrown a monkey wrench into some existing discussions but I could see it happening.

I'm not even sure the Pacers can move Artest without another player and something more than Eddie Gill (before somebody says it) will be needed.

If anyone believes management is frustrated with AJ and that Rick can't keep from playing him because he's a veteran (and you believe Rick is 'addicted' to veterans) then this is management's opportunity to fix that. I think management probably likes AJ as much as Carlisle does tho.

Oddly enough, if this all plays out with starting Freddie at SG, Sjax at SF, Cro at PF, and JO at center then we end up rewarding the players that came to play last season (particularly thinking of Cro and Freddie). Maybe that pays dividends?
(I know, I didn't mention a PG there but rest assured we'll start 5 players ;) )

-Bball

Arcadian
12-12-2005, 03:58 PM
I think that you just trade Ron right now. Of course if trading another player means getting a better player that is fine. But as far as making trades to get rid of people I think you just get rid of Ron, see how the others respond and then make the needed changes over the summer.

Believe_in_blue
12-12-2005, 04:01 PM
I don't think they will make a trade just to get rid of anybody but ron. I would like to see them package somebody, not because I want to see them get rid of anybody, I think thats how we can get the best player in return and I know we have the depth to fill in for anybody else that goes.

Jaydawg2270
12-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Trade Ron and then make the other trades in the off-season

Diamond Dave
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
I think it will just be Ron for right now.

However over the summer, I expect to see a re-haul of this team. Getting rid of all the bad eggs, especially Tinsley.

But I wouldn't be shocked to see them just gut the team now. Meaning Artest, Tinsley, possibly Jax, possibly Harrison, and Bender will retire.

Frank Slade
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Hella Cool Sig there BIB.

I agree though with the real possibility of seeing a package deal done.

Unclebuck
12-12-2005, 04:07 PM
I would think DW and LB, and the Simons would see this as an opportunity to change the "attitude" of the team.

Now is the time to make the changes

SoupIsGood
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Someone else might have to be included to get something decent/good.

Revis1on
12-12-2005, 04:10 PM
No idea if it would work, but, the Raps are not known for intelligence. Ship Mo-Ron and JT to the Raps for Bosh and a pound of Canadian bacon.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-12-2005, 04:13 PM
One again I agree with Buck. Now is the time. We need to add another player anyway to get quality in return because Ron's contract is on the low side.

heywoode
12-12-2005, 06:34 PM
Ron's contract is low enough (add that to his low value) that one would think someone else has to go too...I don't think it will be Tinsley because he is still BYC, and half of JT's value plus what we can get for Mo-Ron (great name, whoever came up with it!) is still not enough to get us someone good.

I can give up Mo-Ron Artesticle for next to nothing, but not he and JT.

I think, despite what we are saying, they will move Ron for whatever they can get, even if it is a bag of chips. I would do the deal, even if it was those crappy, salt & vinegar flavored nasty ones after a truck ran over them.

I could probably deal with just getting rid of the nutjob and seeing how the rest of our roster responds. Despite some evidence to the contrary, I think we have a whole roster full of quality guys. Mo-Ron was just the anti-glue tearing it apart.

Mourning
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
Mo-Ron .... :lol:

Los Angeles
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
I love salt and vinegar chips. I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

ChicagoJ
12-12-2005, 07:40 PM
I think its going to have to be a multi-player trade.

Hey, I've wanted a 3-1 or 4-2 trade for some time now.

I know, wishful thinking.

Harmonica
12-12-2005, 07:47 PM
I think its going to have to be a multi-player trade.

Hey, I've wanted a 3-1 or 4-2 trade for some time now.

I know, wishful thinking.

I don't think so. I don't think you allow Ron to drag down a potential trade in the future by jettisoning decent players now. I wouldn't try to bolster his virtually non-existent trade value with anyone else. Wouldn't allow him to pollute the waters, so to speak.

ChicagoJ
12-12-2005, 07:51 PM
Let me clarify: I'm not saying the Pacers are going to make an Artest-Tinsley-Jackson for something type of trade.

I'm thinking more of a Artest-Jones or Artest-Foster or Artest-Harrison deal that also forces Rick to play Granger more.

CableKC
12-12-2005, 07:52 PM
I agree with UB....I wouldn't be surprised if a Artest+Tinsley( or SJax ) happens...with the greater liklihood that its a Artest+Tinsley for a backup PG and whoever we get from Artest.

The more trades happen...the greater liklihood that it will cause another distraction later in the season.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-12-2005, 07:53 PM
Ron's salary isn't large enough to net much as is...

Maggette for Artest works straight up but not a lot else...

indygeezer
12-12-2005, 07:58 PM
I don't think so. I don't think you allow Ron to drag down a potential trade in the future by jettisoning decent players now.

Yes but Artest at 6 (nearly 7) mil + Tinsley at BYC of what? maybe 2.5 mil could bring you ONE pretty decent player in the 8-9 mil range and save you a coupla mil in the deal...IF you can find some way of making it work under the cap.

Bball
12-12-2005, 08:24 PM
Yes but Artest at 6 (nearly 7) mil + Tinsley at BYC of what? maybe 2.5 mil could bring you ONE pretty decent player in the 8-9 mil range and save you a coupla mil in the deal...IF you can find some way of making it work under the cap.

I don't think we necessarily need to be looking at replacing everyone we send away... so I agree with you.

Even -if- Tinsley is one of the Pacers shipped out I don't know that we need a PG in return. We'd have 3 left and I still think Eddie Gill is all, and then some, of what you expect with a 3rd string PG.

Of course Artest might've so lowered his trade value that we do dump him for whatever all by his lonesome. At that point then the team needs to think about the rest of the players and whether they use this as an opportunity to totally reshape this roster and remove malcontents or wait and see how they mesh. We see what 'waiting' has gotten us so far....

-Bball