PDA

View Full Version : What Teams Would Take A Chance On Artest?

blanket
12-12-2005, 04:09 PM
And I don't mean that rhetorically. There's a lot of talk about what PLAYERS we might be able to get back in a Ron trade, but the first question that needs to be asked is what TEAMS out there -- from the front office, to the coaches, players, and fans/PR dept -- might actually be willing to take a chance on him? The talent's there, obviously, but a lot of teams would probably decline trading for him regardless of what players they'd have to give up in return -- the risk being just too big.

So let's make a list.

Ok, New York. That's obvious.

Maybe LA Lakers? They've taken recent risks on Kwame and on their HS big man lottery pick.

Maybe Dallas? Cuban doesn't seem to be taking as many risks lately, though.

I'd like to read others' thoughts on this...

Diamond Dave
12-12-2005, 04:11 PM
Just about anyone will take a risk, but just about no one will give up much to make it a high risk.

Kstat
Sacramento would, if only because they have a player in Peja that's begging out and they can't do any better.

Houston is desperate enough to take him. JVG would be a supporter.

the Lakers would take him, because well, Phil thinks he can change ANYBODY.

ABADays
Oakland Raiders

TheSauceMaster
12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
I don't see why the LB wouldnt want to coach Ron and I really don't see anything I would like in return from the Knicks.

Ultimate Frisbee
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16693&page=2

I broke down the response of each team on message boards here.

Here is a summary of my findings:

Very interested (teams where fans seem to really want Artest): Cleveland, Golden State, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, Utah

Borderline interested (teams where they'd have to get a pretty good deal but are not overly opposed): Atlanta, Chicago, Clippers, Lakers, Houston, Washington, Orlando

Borderline uninterested (teams that would take him if he fell in their lap): Sacramento, San Antonio, Grizzlies, Milwaukee, Phoenix, Portland, Miami

Definitely NOT interested (teams that want no part of Ron): Boston, Dallas, New Orleans, Toronto

Just my findings from fan response on message boards, nothing else....

Roy Munson
12-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Very interested (teams where fans seem to really want Artest): Cleveland, Golden State, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Philadelphia, Utah

Somehow I don't see Artest doing well with his music promotions in Utah.

Evan_The_Dude
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Mullin wouldn't take Artest. I don't even thinkBird would attempt to do that to him. Rule that one out. The Warriors have too much going for them right now.

kerosene
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
Orlando, Minnesota, Clippers (Sterling should love the prospect of free media attention during the remainder of Artest's contract) maybe.

Kstat
12-12-2005, 04:56 PM
I think golden state would deal dunleavy for artest in a heartbeat.

Frank Slade
12-12-2005, 04:57 PM
Portland
Orlando perhaps..
Washington...

sweabs
12-12-2005, 05:01 PM

I agree with you; and if there is any chance at all, you try to get Ike Diogu included in the deal as well. :D

Mourning
12-12-2005, 05:02 PM
The only thing a little realistic I want from Golden State are either Pietrus or Ike. Dunleavy? I would rather dump Ron on Toronto, Atlanta or Portland just for the sake and enjoyment of him blowing up then take Dunleavy back.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

fwpacerfan
12-12-2005, 05:03 PM
Oakland Raiders

You beat me to it!

Evan_The_Dude
12-12-2005, 05:22 PM
If Artest thinks he's slowing down our offense with his "one on one" style, he'd kill the Warriors. They have the perfect amount of chemistry right now. Dunleavy is an important part of that. They trade him, especially for Artest, and they'll ruin their team. They're a team that likes to run, and Artest's style doesn't fit.

Mourning
12-12-2005, 05:24 PM
If Artest thinks he's slowing down our offense with his "one on one" style, he'd kill the Warriors. They have the perfect amount of chemistry right now. Dunleavy is an important part of that. They trade him, especially for Artest, and they'll ruin their team. They're a team that likes to run, and Artest's style doesn't fit.

Fine! Just as long as you keep Dunleavy away from us :-p

;)

Ultimate Frisbee
12-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Somehow I don't see Artest doing well with his music promotions in Utah.

Yeah, this is an oddity to me... but hey... If you want to punish Ronnie... there isn't a much better place to do so... :-)

Ultimate Frisbee
12-12-2005, 05:58 PM

Yep, no doubt... but the realistic fans know that Pietrus is more likely gone than Dunleavy... They would also do that trade... (of course they want to get rid of Foyle too)

Naptown Seth
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
Oakland Raiders Randy Moss plays a little basketball here and there. Moss for Artest? I'd do it.

NorCal_Pacerfan
12-12-2005, 06:06 PM
Reggie nailed it. DW will send him to Toronto or Atlanta.

granger
12-12-2005, 06:11 PM
boston fans on artest. realgm

Artest got railroaded in that year suspension and brawl imo. He was the scapegoat plain and simple. Ben Wallace (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=447635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=48#) essentially started a riot by thowing towels and acting like a child and all he got was 5 games b/c Detroit was the defending champs. The NBA (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=447635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=48#) should be ashamed of itself. Detroit didn't get any sanctions for its fans or its lack of security.

It's completely understandable why Artest would just want to get out of Indiana, where things are obviously broken, and where he'll never be able to escape the brawl. He also obviously doens't like Carlyle's coaching style - which is probably a legit complaint, considering Carlyle got ran out of Detroit for being difficult to work with.

People like to make fun of Ron Artest (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=447635&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=48#), but fact is he's just about the toughtest guy int he NBA, certainly the best swingman defender, and a legit All-Star if not MVP candidate (if people really thought about both sides of the ball...) He would be a welcome addition to just about any team. He's never had any lockerroom issues, he's NOT Rodman, just a tough kid with a good heart who's not very media savvy...

You know, there are a lot of similarities

For example, both are crazy crazy fans of M. Ali.. Ali is both their idols.. it's real deep for both of them... like meeting Ali was the most significant (one of) moments in their lives

Artest, like Pierce, puts enormous pressure on himself.. he's disappointed when he messes up... he's upset when others don't give it their all...

Ron frightens people... even teammates give it their all because they know they'll get it from Ron if they don't... (this is just like how Blount was the crazy principal after Obie left... and if anyone fooled around, or was immature like RD, Blount gave em a spanking... where's that guy now, btw?)

This is the perfect person around Pierce, and contrary to what was said, the PERFECT person to have above the young-uns... Artest is on a different level from everybody else.. he believes he's the best, and he can be when he wants to... he's openly come and said that T-Mac and Kobe aren't all that, and that most NBA players aren't meeting his expecations. That the all-star game was a waste of time - something he'd easily dominate without shooting... he's said all this

He's crazy, but I'd rather have Artest and crazy than Blount and the carrer-year that Davis is having... because it'd be perfect alongside Pierce... because, if we can ultimately pull off having Perkins and/or Jefferson alongside, we can scare most teams...

he's very smart, very very good math major... aptitude for art and architecture... don't doubt this man, he's not uneducated or anything..

Ron Ron is for real... once again, it'd be an honor to have someone like this, with the heart, the craziness, the wackiness, the ability to attract the whole world's attention, the presence on the court... everything... on our team

EDIT: Ron's story, his AUTObiography, made me cry almost.. .it's very touching.. you feel for the guy, where he's coming from.. he was so unfairly criticized for the BRAWL when really Detroit doesn't deserve to play in front of fans for 10 damn years.... damn it... even Larry Brown actually felt bad for Artest (this is known)... he felt sort of detached from the city of Detroit after the brawl (it's a personal thing, but many have suspected it)... he openly wished that his players like Sheed and others went to protect Artest and the Indiana players after the game... those beer and popcorn throwing Motown folks have tarnished the image of one of the game's hardest players.. Artest is on a different level altogether

:rolleyes:

Jaydawg2270
12-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I wonder who NJ would give up