PDA

View Full Version : Have the Pacers Played a Full 48 Mins. Yet?

Harddrive7
03-29-2004, 11:21 AM
I don't think that I can recall a game to where they have. I would love to see it happen though against the Bucks. The reason I say the Bucks is because I think that is what it's going to take. For some reason these guys have our number and give us fits.

Yes, the Bucks

Ok, back to my point. We have a 54-19 record so some may feel that it doesn't matter if we play a full 48 or not as long as we get the "W".

I would say most teams that make it to the playoffs will be giving around 39-42 mins of good solid ball.

So I'm curious, can this team put together a full 48 mins of flawless basketball?

Is this how they are going to "step it up" for the playoffs?

MSA2CF
03-29-2004, 11:27 AM
The Pacers probably could whenever they want to, with everyone healthy.

It really doesn't matter to me if they play flawless an entire game, as long as they win.

If I were the Pacers, I would not be playing full-out just to prove that I could play a perfect game. I would just do what got me here and in the playoffs, turn it up a notch. The playoffs are where it counts.

Harddrive7
03-29-2004, 11:34 AM
If I were the Pacers, I would not be playing full-out just to prove that I could play a perfect game.

This is where I disagree somewhat. I think that you should ALWAYS go into a game wanting to play a perfect game. You have to always want to go in with the frame of mind that this will be your best game individually and as a team.

Now if they're saving it for the playoffs that's one thing, but you have the regular season to prove to yourselves that it can be done.

NewYawk
03-29-2004, 12:26 PM
The Pacers are the hardest working team in basketball next to the Jazz. They are also the most physical. Teams make runs all the time. They do not neccessarily suggest lazt play by the Pacers. You want to see lazy play? Watch a Knicks game.

No team plays 48 minutes a night. However, the Pacers play as close to 48 minutes as nay team in basketball.

Unclebuck
03-29-2004, 12:51 PM
The Pacers will never play 48 minutes of flawless basketball. That is not possible.

The Pacers play as hard for as long as anyone, that is why they win so much.

Perhaps I am confusing your term "flawless". Flawless to me is perfect basketball, no turnovers, no missed shots. I sense you are using "flawless" to mean perfect effort, right?

rabid
03-29-2004, 01:01 PM
Has ANY team EVER played a "full 48 minutes?" I guess it depends on your defenition...

:confused:

Harddrive7
03-29-2004, 01:12 PM
Ok, fair questions. Let me clarify.

By the term flawless I mean 48 mins of hard playing basketball on both ends of the court without any let up whatsoever. Yes UB total, all out effort from each player for 48 mins.

Yes, the Pacers have shown that they can play solid basketball for probably more mins than any other team.

They also build big leads from those few precious mins only to either let up or not match the other teams intensity when they turn it on.

So is it not possible for the Pacers to play a full 48 mins of basketball? Or is there not any reason for them to do so?

rabid
03-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Ok, fair questions. Let me clarify.

By the term flawless I mean 48 mins of hard playing basketball on both ends of the court without any let up whatsoever. Yes UB total, all out effort from each player for 48 mins.

Yes, the Pacers have shown that they can play solid basketball for probably more mins than any other team.

They also build big leads from those few precious mins only to either let up or not match the other teams intensity when they turn it on.

So is it not possible for the Pacers to play a full 48 mins of basketball? Or is there not any reason for them to do so?

The closest I could think of this season is the two games we played against San Antonio. Pretty consistent intensity.

Ragnar
03-29-2004, 01:22 PM
Every team and every player goes through times when they are not playing well. There is no way to get arround that. To the Pacers credit they have been in one of these funks for a couple of weeks now and it has resulted in three loses rather than a 13 game losing streak. Why?

Simple even when they are not playing well they are playing hard. Look at Ron he had what was a horrible shooting night last night. He turned the ball over more than the stats show and he held the ball for far too long. But he battled through it and did it in other ways, he got steals, rebounds and went to the line.

All year the Pacers have done just that and it is in no small part why not only do they have the best record but there have been no 3 or more game losing streaks. I have no doubt that the Players are finding it hard to get excited about facing the Heat on Sunday afternoon when they have the best record but they still went out and churned out a win.

I think that once we get to the playoffs the funk they are playing in will go away. I think right now it is just that they are starting to think about the playoffs and these games against losing teams are boring to them.

beast23
03-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Actually, we played a game just a few weeks ago where the opponent had not scored a run of more than 4 points on us until well into the fourth quarter. I don't even remember the opponent, but the outcome of the game was decided early in the third quarter.

I suppose "playing for 48 minutes" gets down to execution at both ends of the floor. We've had games where offensively we were able to get a decent shot on nearly every possession without running into shot clock problems throughout the entire game.

But the same success is nearly impossible on the defensive end of the floor. A team can use its bench wisely and apply pressure throughout an entire game. But mistakes will always be made, leading to at least a few easy scores within any individual game.

What I like about this team is that we are able to turn it up a notch and are usually able to get defensive stops as we need them.

But lately, other than two recent games by Artest, we've not been able to do the same thing on the offensive end of the floor. If we get that back, then we might be able to suprise the WC champion.