PDA

View Full Version : We need to start an MVP chant for JO at Conseco

Cactus Jax
01-21-2004, 01:22 AM
I was seriously hoping at the end of the Piston game that a chant was going to start but it didn't happen sadly. He really deserves it and should get the recognition from the crowd. Too bad all those business yahoos wouldn't cheer or care if their life depended on it.

Cactus Jax
01-21-2004, 01:25 AM
Well anyway, here's my shout out. MVP! MVP! MVP! MVP! :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :dance: :pepper: :champions: :champions: :champions: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Kstat
01-21-2004, 01:31 AM
Through half the season, I'd have to give Kevin Garnett my nod for MVP, but JO would be second.

ROCislandWarrior
01-21-2004, 01:39 AM
Through half the season, I'd have to give Kevin Garnett my nod for MVP, but JO would be second

I told my bro today that J.O. was an MVP candidate...but I also told him he is not the MVP, Garnett is.

Southside_Pacer
01-21-2004, 01:52 AM
I agree. From the west it's Garnett, from the east it's O'Neal. Should be a great second half of the season to see if O'Neal can overtake Garnett from the top spot.

I think a lot will depend on how both ballclubs do on the court.

Kstat
01-21-2004, 02:00 AM
I agree. From the west it's Garnett, from the east it's O'Neal. Should be a great second half of the season to see if O'Neal can overtake Garnett from the top spot.

At this point, Garnett is just a better player. He brings everything JO does, plus the ability to pass the ball and a superior handle

Anthem
01-21-2004, 02:10 AM

At this point, Garnett is just a better player. He brings everything JO does, plus the ability to pass the ball and a superior handle

Well, we'll see if JO can take his team out of the first round. :devil:

PaceBalls
01-21-2004, 02:41 AM
I think JO is a better post player than Garnett. Garnett can drive a bit better maybe, but alot of that is just size. JO can bang inside better. It's a toss up imo.

Kstat
01-21-2004, 02:44 AM
I think JO is a better post player than Garnett. Garnett can drive a bit better maybe, but alot of that is just size. JO can bang inside better. It's a toss up imo.

Look at the numbers and tell me its a toss-up....

PaceBalls
01-21-2004, 02:48 AM
ya KG might have better #'s but so what?

I think they both are better than eachother in parts of their overall game. Both are legit MVP candidates. Up to this point in the season I gotta give it to JO, maybe I am a bit biased though. /shrug sue me

Kstat
01-21-2004, 02:52 AM
ya KG might have better #'s but so what?

I think they both are better than eachother in parts of their overall game. Both are legit MVP candidates. Up to this point in the season I gotta give it to JO, maybe I am a bit biased though. /shrug sue me

Well, you ARE biased, lol. But there's nothing wrong with that.....

When JO reaches his prime in a couple years, he will be what Garnett is now, IMO.

wintermute
01-21-2004, 02:53 AM

Look at the numbers and tell me its a toss-up....

jermaine/garnett

ppg 20.8/24.5
rpg 10.5/13.9
apg 2.0/5.1
spg 0.88/1.31
bpg 2.74/2.26
fg% .437/.497
ft% .755/.744
3% .111/.300
mpg 36.9/39.7

no arguments from me... garnett is just such an amazing player.

Will Galen
01-21-2004, 06:45 AM
no arguments from me... garnett is just such an amazing player.

Amen to that! I thought his numbers would go down this year, what with Minny picking up Cassell, Sprewell, and company, instead they have gone up. Points and rebounds have gone up as well as blocked shots. Funny thing is his assists have gone down from 6 per game to 5.1. With better teammates go figure.

Hicks
01-21-2004, 07:45 AM
I thought Garnett was the better player last year, but Duncan won anyway (deservedly so; it's not like he wasn't worthy in his own right)

JO's still an outside chance, but a chance nonetheless.

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 07:51 AM
Perhaps I won't be giving Al enough credit here...but IMO if you start that chant, you'll see the wheels come off AH. When JO and BM and even RA were being talked up for all-star last year, what was AH's reaction?

THAT's what I fear...what it would do to team chemistry.

Bball
01-21-2004, 08:12 AM
Perhaps I won't be giving Al enough credit here...but IMO if you start that chant, you'll see the wheels come off AH. When JO and BM and even RA were being talked up for all-star last year, what was AH's reaction?

THAT's what I fear...what it would do to team chemistry.

Geez.... I was thinking the same thing.

-Bball

Unclebuck
01-21-2004, 08:21 AM
KG and TD are both better than J.O. But the gap has narrowed. Also keep in mind KG and TD right now are the two best players in the NBA with Shaq being injured so much and Kobe being distracted and coming off surgery over the summer.

Getting back to the title of the thread.

I would rather the fans chant, "best record" I realize that is not as easy to chant as MVP, but it is more important. Or how about "first place". Or the tired and worn our "we're number one"

naptownmenace
01-21-2004, 08:33 AM
The only MVP award I want Jermaine to win this season is 2004 NBA Finals MVP!

:champions:

able
01-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Well he is worthy of consideration, that at least we agree upon and that is pure humour in my eyes, remembering the threads early this season bout JO not yet being there, and "maybe" a top 20 or 15 player, but hardly top 10 and certainly not top 5.
Next we kinda forget he is there and take for granted his amazing achievement at age 24 and the stats he does put up every night again, whether in foul trouble or not, being the key to so much of our game.
He annihilated the best defensive player in the NBA last night and scored at will in any way he saw fit.

Now consider that he elevated his game last year for the play-offs, he is one of the best crunch players in the league, (his crunch stats show that, even if Reg is/was often the goto guy) add to that the fact we all of sudden are comparing him to TD and KG (imagined 6 months ago of naming them 3 in the same sentence?) and it shows just how far he improved again this year.

If indeed his shot is starting to fall again (as it has done the last couple of games with steady improvement) and he is out of his slump as he himself called it (everyone has a time shots don't fall but I just keep on shooting and it will come back) we can expect some great things from him in the remainder of the season, and if that happens, he will definitely give KG a run for his money in that MVP race.

It is not many players that even get mentioned for that race, just like defensive player of the year, which nowadays seems a two horse race to.

We are having ourselves on heck of a ballclub on our hands!

and stop the trade thoughts, this team is a monster, even Pollie is waking up from his slumber.

:stupid:

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 12:13 PM
We are having ourselves on heck of a ballclub on our hands!

and stop the trade thoughts, this team is a monster, even Pollie is waking up from his slumber.

Suppose just for a moment
:meditate:

What it would be like if: no trades are made, the team hangs together...AND Jonathan Bender lives up to his potential.

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Cactus Jax
01-21-2004, 01:11 PM
Well yeah Garnett could be the MVP but this is the 1st time in the NBA era of the Pacers that they've had a guy THIS close to the MVP award, and he should be at least recognized by the fans, even if he's not considered the MVP at the end of the season. Garnett will probably get the award but to me JO's the clear second choice. All I'm asking is for the fans to give JO his props, maybe I'm the Jalen Rose around here :rolleyes:, but if fans are gonna give a standing ovation for what Reggie did yesterday, then they should give JO at least that ovation, as he scored the big buckets when the Pacers were struggling; it's just Reggie is the legend, and people don't give enough props for JO at the Fieldhouse. I was waching the Sacramento game yesterday, and I wish the Pacers crowd was HALF as pumped up as that crowd is. They can get up at times, mostly Miller Time, and big runs or comebacks, but it just seems like JO just does his thing and doesn't get the fair recognition from the crowd, aka a standing ovation at least.

And as for UncleBuck's question, I think MVP is a fair team award. Yes only one player is on the award but JO is what makes everything click for the Pacers. He opens up Reggie, and everybody else on the team, and he also is just unstoppable in the post, and even has a solid shot now up to 18 feet out. He's at least the Pacers team and damn close to the NBA MVP and all I want is the man to get a LITTLE props from the crowd.

ABADays
01-21-2004, 01:21 PM
Well, if you do start one just don't get confused and start chanting OJ! OJ! OJ!

ROCislandWarrior
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
Now consider that he elevated his game last year for the play-offs, he is one of the best crunch players in the league, (his crunch stats show that, even if Reg is/was often the goto guy) add to that the fact we all of sudden are comparing him to TD and KG (imagined 6 months ago of naming them 3 in the same sentence?) and it shows just how far he improved again this year.

JO has the makings of a Great Big time, Big Game Player

Remember when we were battling Milwaukee for the 8th spot in 2002

what did O'neal Average the Last 8 games of the season...It was like 24ppg and 12 Rebs or something

He stepped it up then...and again during the Boston Series...

If we get a team effort, + JO steps up again, and Reggie is consistent...

WE ARE FINALS BOUND

Hicks
01-21-2004, 04:09 PM
I'd settle for a chant of "JO! JO! JO!". I don't think I've ever even heard the crowd do THAT for him. I've thought about doing it before I go to a Pacer game, but I always catch him on a ho-hum night.

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 04:38 PM
I prefer the Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy-oooooooooooooooo Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy-oooooooooooooooo

drawn out like day-oh day-oh rather than the stacato J O J O

that way it's differant than... Reggie Reggie Reggie

more individualistic

Hicks
01-21-2004, 04:40 PM
I'd LIKE it to be like Reggie-Reggie, as a sign of the city and state's respect for Jermaine. A sort of "passing of the torch".

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 04:41 PM
Wanna fight?

MSA2CF
01-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Whoever has the better record, I'd give the MVP award to, forget stats...This shouldn't be like baseball. If the Pacers have a better record than Wolves, then Jermaine should get it.

OT: Alex Rodriguez should never have won the MVP...his team finished last.

Hicks
01-21-2004, 04:47 PM
Wanna fight?

:whip:

indygeezer
01-21-2004, 04:52 PM
Wanna fight?

:whip:

Pick on somebody your own age!
:zip:

hehehehe Actually I could go along with it.

ABADays
01-21-2004, 06:51 PM
JAYYYYYYYYO! JAY-AY-AY-O! Highlights come and me like to play at home!

MSA2CF
03-27-2004, 10:44 AM
...He really deserves it and should get the recognition from the crowd. Too bad all those business yahoos wouldn't cheer or care if their life depended on it.

I agree....He does deserve it. How can the league not give the award to him either? The Pacers are the best team in the league for a reason.

Unclebuck
03-27-2004, 10:46 AM
I am going to start one for Artest

Suaveness
03-27-2004, 10:49 AM
He clearly is an amazing player too.

able
03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Just a few thoughts reading back on this thread;

I made sense to myself here, amazing :)

Amywayz, back on topic, the nearer we get to the end of the season, the more I feel JO deserves it more then KG, not based on numbers, but on what the award should stand for.
I think (MY OPINION) that the award stands for the most Valuable Player to "a" team and the league in general.
In that case, seeing as JO's "leadership" has brought Ron into the players family, he as C of the P's has had a big helping hand in keeping the team focussed and his "posture" on and off the court, makes him a Great Player already. His style of play is more and more focussed on creating for others, then on hiw own stats (I am convinced would he play a little more selfish he would easily equal KG's numbers) in other words he carries this Pacers team for a large part. (Despite Ron's great influence when JO is not there, the team does not look that convinced, relaxed and "strong" as when JO is present.)

On the other hand with a strongly improved supporting cast KG's team has not made the impact people thought it would make and are out of the race for the league #1 seed.

My vote (if I had one) would go to JO, without a doubt now, while being biased I feel that only another biased vote could go to KG.

And on the chant; either you guys get the JAaaay -Ooooh going, or I will personally start it given a chance to visit a game, either late in the playoffs or whenever!

Pig Nash
03-27-2004, 11:51 AM
I think we should do it during the knicks game. The crowd will be into it because its against the knicks. it will have more blue collar fans than normal because you get a free ticket with the Larry Bird Pacers Run and Walk. And the best reason..
I'll be there. I'm loud and if we're winning at the end of the game, you might here somebody from section 231 way at the top yelling at the top of his lungs.

able
03-27-2004, 02:24 PM
I think we should do it during the knicks game. The crowd will be into it because its against the knicks. it will have more blue collar fans than normal because you get a free ticket with the Larry Bird Pacers Run and Walk. And the best reason..
I'll be there. I'm loud and if we're winning at the end of the game, you might here somebody from section 231 way at the top yelling at the top of his lungs.

You can be sure I will make sure that I have the sound way up on the radio just to check your promise!

:P