PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Ron Trade Thread... (Memphis)

Anthem
12-10-2005, 11:54 PM
I'm not as angry as some of you are, but I've always been fine with trading anybody on the team (including JO or Tinsley) if it makes us a better team. I don't think we'd be a better team if we swapped Ron for Peja.

You know who I'd like? Shane Battier. Hear me out.

1. If we're going to move Ron, I'd rather we not go out and get another small forward. We've got Jack already, and we've already been talking this year about Granger being good enough to take Ron's place. We need help at the 2 and the center spot.

2. The Grizz owner is absolutely wild about Ron Artest. Don't have a link off hand, but we've heard it on multiple occasions. If anybody wants to push the issue, I can find it.

3. There are a lot of trades that can be built around the central idea of Artest for Battier. Memphis does well in that, but it can be evened up easily. For example, if we have to move him, I'd do Ron/Pollard/AJ for Battier/L.Wright/Bobby Jackson long before I'd do Ron for Peja straight up.

Battier can play either swing position, he's great in the locker room, he's a leader on and off the court, he can shoot, he can defend, and he doesn't need the ball.

Thoughts?

Roaming Gnome
12-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Actually, I like it.
I love the fact that Battier doesn't desire the touches that Jax does at the 2.

cracktower
12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
I like the players you mentioned, but we need a second starplayer if we trade Artest and Battier is not a star, plus Bobby Jackson would be redundant, we already have Surunas

Shaggy
12-10-2005, 11:58 PM
Well, Battier is about the polar-opposite of Ron. Great character, team player, just wants to win. Add a couple of other odds n ends like Eddie Jones and you got me sold on this one Anthem.

Reggie4Three
12-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Sign me up. He's in the Western Conference to boot. I'm still not sold that Memphis would do it, but if they are I'm sold.

unstandable
12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
That would be a great trade for the Pacers.

timmanis2000
12-11-2005, 12:01 AM
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off"></TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I like that trade also.

Anthem
12-11-2005, 12:05 AM
I want to add that while Battier's not averaging Ron's 20 per, he's shown an improved offensive game this year and has led the team in scoring several times so far this season.

Also, this means we'd have Saras and Bobby Jackson at PG, which means we'd be free to trade Tinsley if we found a good trade. Our lineup for the remainder of the year would be something like:

Wright / Foster / Harrison
JO / Croshere / Samaki
Jax / Granger / [Bender]
Battier / Jackson / Jones
Tinsley / Saras / Gill

denyfizle
12-11-2005, 12:08 AM
I love Shane too and it will be just IRONIC if he's the person we get for Ron. Shane is a class act. Classy from the get go.

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 12:09 AM
Peja NO

Battier - YES, yes yes please. But the Grizz won't give him up. Fratello loves Shane.

You can cross this one off. Will not happen. Fratello would quit if his team made this trade

Mr.ThunderMakeR
12-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Can we get Stoudamire in there somewhere? I know we dont need another pg but might mouse has always been one of my favorative non-Pacers for some reason.

Anthem
12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
You can cross this one off. Will not happen. Fratello would quit if his team made this trade
I hear you, but we keep hearing that Michael Heisley absolutely loves Artest. The Grizz have been mentioned in the national media as a suitor. I can't see how they'd expect to get him for anything less than Battier.

Anthem
12-11-2005, 12:30 AM
Can we get Stoudamire in there somewhere? I know we dont need another pg but might mouse has always been one of my favorative non-Pacers for some reason.
Doubt it. He's their starter right now. Besides, I'd rather have Bobby Jackson.

The only way you'd pry him free is by including Tinsley. And I can't find a way to make that work.

Frank Slade
12-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Peja NO

Battier - YES, yes yes please. But the Grizz won't give him up. Fratello loves Shane.

Exactly UB ,,, Battier is going nowhere.
I love the guy would be great to have
Ain't going to happen though... at least I don't think so...

Naptown Seth
12-11-2005, 12:41 AM
Artest is everythng Battier is on the court but better. Artest may have head issues, but an Artest and Gasol duo plus the great role players in Memphis make them a legit contender instead of the pretenders they are now, and I know Jerry West knows that.
I'd consider the deal. I really think Battier could become an All-Star here. The Pacers have that effect on players. I mean honestly, who were Ron Artest, Brad Miller, Jalen Rose etc. before they came to Indiana? And who were they after they left here? Battier has great shoot percentages and fantastic defense. I could see he and Jackson beocoming scorers 2A and 2B and each putting up around 17 points per game.

Anthem
12-11-2005, 12:43 AM
Interesting. So the general opinion is that Memphis wouldn't move Battier/Wright/B.Jackson for Ron/Pollard/AJ. I thought that was a pretty good trade for both teams.

Is this a balance thing, or is it final? I mean, does the trade need to be tilted their way a little, or is Battier untouchable?

Anybody know how West feels about Tinsley?

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 12:48 AM
Battier is untouchable.

Naptown Seth
12-11-2005, 12:51 AM
Battier is untouchable.
Wow, that's a crazy statement. There's nobody in the league truly untouchable, and if there were 2 players who were they would be Tim Duncan abd LeBron James, not Shane "Freakin" Battier.

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Wow, that's a crazy statement. There's nobody in the league truly untouchable, and if there were 2 players who were they would be Tim Duncan abd LeBron James, not Shane "Freakin" Battier.

Untouchable when it comes to Artest. Unless we offer J.O. the Grizzlies won't even consider trading Battier.

Naptown Seth
12-11-2005, 01:03 AM
Funny, I think there are a lot of guys that are un-touchable.

Kobe and K.G. come to the top of my head.
Lakers would give up Kobe for LeBron in a heartbeat, possibly for KG, possibly for Duncan.

Wolves would give up KG for LeBron in a heartbeat, probably would for Tim Duncan too.

Naptown Seth
12-11-2005, 01:04 AM
Untouchable when it comes to Artest. Unless we offer J.O. the Grizzlies won't even consider trading Battier.
Alright, thats more like it. I disagree with it but I can atleast fathom the thought.

Anthem
12-11-2005, 01:06 AM
Unless we offer J.O. the Grizzlies won't even consider trading Battier.
Wow. I know they like him, but is it really that strong?

Jose Slaughter
12-11-2005, 01:08 AM
West just finished shipping out the last group of knuckleheads that Memphis had. why would he bring in the king of knuckleheads?

sig
12-11-2005, 01:12 AM
Ron Artest doesn't seem like someone that Jerry West would obtain. If the Griz owner were to go above West to malke this trade then I suspect West would move on.

Peja is one of the most overrated big game players. I wouldn't want him. I think Seattle, or Denver makes more sense.

Rashard Lewis is planning to opt out of his contract so Seattle might be interested.

The Nuggets are wanting a SG real bad. Would Artest at SG with Melo at SF work for them. Doesn't seem like a match to me but who knows. Tins, Fred jones and Artest for Andre Miller, Lenard and Nene. I know it would be hard to wait on Nene but it would be nice to see him in a Pacer uni next season. Plus Denver has been trying to move Lenard out.

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Fratello is a great coach for over achieving teams that have great chemistry and are willing to play his style of ball. If Artest can't play for Rick Fratello might not be the best place for him.

Young
12-11-2005, 02:32 PM
Ron Artest doesn't seem like someone that Jerry West would obtain. If the Griz owner were to go above West to malke this trade then I suspect West would move on.

Peja is one of the most overrated big game players. I wouldn't want him. I think Seattle, or Denver makes more sense.

Rashard Lewis is planning to opt out of his contract so Seattle might be interested.

The Nuggets are wanting a SG real bad. Would Artest at SG with Melo at SF work for them. Doesn't seem like a match to me but who knows. Tins, Fred jones and Artest for Andre Miller, Lenard and Nene. I know it would be hard to wait on Nene but it would be nice to see him in a Pacer uni next season. Plus Denver has been trying to move Lenard out.

- I think that Jerry West had interest in Artest before but I don't know that he would have any now that the Grizzles are a top 5 team thus far into the season.

- Peja is logicaly the best player the Pacers can get for Artest.

- Even if Lewis is planning to opt out of his contract I think the Sonics would be better off starting Vlad at SF and send Lewis for a big guy instead of taking Artest.

- I don't think Artest can play SG full times and Nene is injured so having him in the deal would be pointless.

Will Galen
12-11-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not as angry as some of you are, but I've always been fine with trading anybody on the team (including JO or Tinsley) if it makes us a better team. I don't think we'd be a better team if we swapped Ron for Peja.

You know who I'd like? Shane Battier. Hear me out.

1. If we're going to move Ron, I'd rather we not go out and get another small forward. We've got Jack already, and we've already been talking this year about Granger being good enough to take Ron's place. We need help at the 2 and the center spot.

2. The Grizz owner is absolutely wild about Ron Artest. Don't have a link off hand, but we've heard it on multiple occasions. If anybody wants to push the issue, I can find it.

3. There are a lot of trades that can be built around the central idea of Artest for Battier. Memphis does well in that, but it can be evened up easily. For example, if we have to move him, I'd do Ron/Pollard/AJ for Battier/L.Wright/Bobby Jackson long before I'd do Ron for Peja straight up.

Battier can play either swing position, he's great in the locker room, he's a leader on and off the court, he can shoot, he can defend, and he doesn't need the ball.

Thoughts?

I like the the central idea of Artest for Battier, but I don't like your example because I think it's a patch. I don't think Ron was the problem this year. If I'm trading Ron I want to try and trade the problem with him. Give me a deal that gets rid of Tinsley or Jackson along with Artest, not Pollard or AJ.

I'm not adverse to trading Pollard or AJ to make a trade work, but the primary players I want traded in any trades are Tinsley, Jackson, and Harrison, along with Ron of course.

Although I would like Battier too, I don't see West trading for who I want to trade.

Unclebuck
12-11-2005, 03:49 PM
How about artest and tinsley for gilbert arenas

You are joking right.

Just in case you're not. Arenas is extrmely talented, but his shot selection is horrible. He does whatever he wants whenever he wants. Jordan can't control him nor would Rick.

Pacers need to go for character guys

Ultimate Frisbee
12-11-2005, 05:01 PM
I like Battier... Great trade if the Grizz would do it... Right now I'm not sure if we'll be able to get any good deal for Ron-Ron...

Bball
12-11-2005, 05:26 PM
I thought West was quoted last season as saying he wanted no part of Artest around his team. I don't remember the phrasing but I believe he said he didn't want Artest poisoning his team's chemistry and leading young players astray.

Am I confusing that with another GM/team?

-Bball

SoupIsGood
12-11-2005, 06:36 PM
I thought West was quoted last season as saying he wanted no part of Artest around his team. I don't remember the phrasing but I believe he said he didn't want Artest poisoning his team's chemistry and leading young players astray.

Am I confusing that with another GM/team?

-Bball

That' correct, and wh it would never happen....

Gamble
12-11-2005, 07:10 PM
The Griz's would trade him for f.JOnes and Artest. I would want to keep
Tinesly and Jax. Tinsley for the reason of insurance. I would hate to
see A.J playing point and no Saras bc of a injury. Jax to me is ok
from the stand point he wants to win and i think at this point we need him
to win without Artest. Harrison would be ok to throw in there to clean
up the bad locker room presence.