PDA

View Full Version : Sort of OT: Any AM radio fans out there?

Tom White
03-28-2004, 06:18 PM
I'll admit it. I am an AM radio junkie. Especially sports radio.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new table radio from Boston Acoustics called "The Recepter". Combining this thing with a decent AM loop antenna has put me square into AM heaven.

I've been able to listen to the Nets on WOR out of New York, the Spurs on 1200AM (WAIO?) out of San Antonio, a station in Dallas, literally all of the Chicago stations, WLW in Cinci., WWL in New Orleans and KMOX in St. Louis, and MANY other stations around the country. When basketball season ends, listening to baseball broadcasts on this radio is going to be great.

I know a lot of you probably hear "AM radio" and think only of the political talk shows and such, but there really is much more on the airwaves than Rush.

So, how about it? Anyone else addicted to AM? Have you got a favorite radio?

Along the same lines, has anyone tried the Tivoli Audio Model One radio? I'm thinking of picking it up next.

EDIT:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about hearing the Cav's on 1100AM in Cleveland, and also listening to 760AM in Detroit.

kerosene
03-28-2004, 07:20 PM
KNBR 680 (the 50,000 watt blowtorch - can be heard all over the Western seaboard) and Ticket 1050. Sister stations here.

Roaming Gnome
03-29-2004, 12:29 AM
The old AM is all I really listen to, FM music just seems like musical wallpaper to me at work. I just wish Indy had more local sports talk shows to listen to fill the gap between 6 and 7p.

MagicRat
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
Along the same lines, has anyone tried the Tivoli Audio Model One radio? I'm thinking of picking it up next.

I have the Model One in the office. FM reception is very good. I can pick up the local AM's if I place it by the window, which is better than any other I've had. I've never tried it at home, so I can't comment on its ability to pick up far away stations. Maybe I'll take it home sometime and test it out. Then I'll probably have to go buy another one....

The sound is very smooth, with good bass. My mp3 player sounds excellent played through it.......