Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd thoughts about the Malaise Game with Dallas....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd thoughts about the Malaise Game with Dallas....

First & formost I want to give the Pacers credit for one thing before we go any further. They have just come home off of a very long road trip & were playing their 3rd game in 5 days with a long late night flight in be-tween.

Not making an excuse for them but it certainly is a factor into this game.

Also, & since I've taken over the resident paranoid delusional conspirocy nutt's job, I want to ask a wild off topic no proof speculation laden question.

Is it possible that Ron Artest is now taking his anti-depression medications? The reason I ask this is because Ron just doesn't look the same to me. No I'm not talking about his game I don't have any real issues with that, other than his new found desire to not rebound. This is going to sound crazy but Ron's eyes just don't look the same to me. They are no longer wide open & he almost sometimes looks like TMac. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I'm just curious if anybody else sees it?

Moving on.

Let's talk about the fans for a min.

This is/was a two way street & neither driver took the right road. The fans were dead all night, no energy, barely supportive & at times down right hostile towards the home team. After the game was one of the most negative times I've ever heard at the fieldhouse but I'll come back to that.

However the team gave them very few moments to actually believe that they were going to make a push to try & win.

IMO, it was a no win scenario for both sides.

Here's the scoop for those that were not there. The fans were down right brutal on Stephan Jackson. Every little mistake he made after mid-way through the first quarter they let him have. Sometimes it was just the section behind the bench but at times it was the entire fieldhouse. I don't remember a home town player ever recieve that kind of reception before. Maybe Jalen Rose did on a couple of occasions but even then I'm not sure it was the way Jax got it.

The fans also let the team have it on a couple of occasions during the second & third quarters.

You know how you guys have been complaining about the atmosphere here on the digest, you know being so negative & all, well let me say that you certainly would not have liked the atmosphere after the game. I had to use the restroom after the game & the talk was bitter at best & downright racist at worst.

I think what I may have been seeing at the fieldhouse was something I tried to warn you guys about last year. I actually think I was hearing repercussions of last years brawl in Detroit.

"I just can't support these stupid no hustling thuggs", "That white guy from Europe was the only person who even gave a d@mn", "Stephen Jackson is an @sshole".

These are just some of the quotes to come from the mens room & this is in the God forsaken club level. I'd hate to hear what was said in the upper & lower decks.

Of course my family was treated to a group of fools that came in at half-time who got their tickets for free & proceded to yell like idiots throughout the game. One of them, I don't know which one, said something towards the end of the game about how Saras was the only one who was hustling. Diamond Dave probably remembers what he said & he can fill us in because right now I don't remember, but needless to say we both knew what he meant.

To be frank it was disturbing. I certainly understand complaining about the team & I absolutely agree about letting it be known the fans did not appreciate what they percieved to be a lack of effort.

However to not aknowledge that Danny Granger was out there busting his @ss during the 4th quarter or that J.O. was trying as best he could to me said you either didn't watch the game, don't understand the game or you have another agenda altogether.

Let me make this clear I have no problem with booing the home team, I have no problem with complaining about anything involving the team (God knows I lead the pack) however I do have a problem with people complaining based on a pre concieved notion of race.

I'm not trying to get all preach with you guys & I apologize in advance for going off on this tangent but I just felt like saying this.

Moving on.

For those of you that keep wanting to chant over & over again about how this is early in the season & that you wanna end the season strong & that the games now don't count for much I give you our good friend Adrian Griffin from the Dallas Mavericks.

"Any win is a big win in this league, because you never know when they’re going to matter. They (Pacers) were able to cut the lead down to four or five in the fourth quarter, but we held them off. This may be a situation where we look back at the end of the season and say, these one or two wins were big for us."

I will also give you the converse logic to this. This may be a situation where we look back at the end of the season and say, these one or two losses were big for us.

I'm assuming that we still would like to get home court throughout the playoffs, well every loss takes us one game further away from that goal.

If your going to ask me what the one overall problem is with this team I will give you an honest answer.

I don't know.

Chemistry, makeup, coaching, shooting, defense, effort, rebounding & attitude.

Pick your poison, it could be some of them it could be all of them or it could be none of them.

Does anybody want to give the team a break because of injurys? I mean right now our starting p.g & our starting p.f. are out with injurys & another of our big men is coming off of surgery?

I'm pretty sure the sympathy train for injurys has left the station. At least it has for me.

So if were looking for some reason & if you demand I give you one I will give you this.

If you are having this many issues & let's be honest we all hear that we are not the most cohesive team to ever exist behind the scenes, you can blame leadership.

You could blame Jermaine O'Neal & he should shoulder some of the blame. Franchise player comes with a great deal of money but also a lot of responsibilties. However he can only do so much.

You could blame Rick Carlisle & he certainly should share in the blame. His rotations have been bizaare to say the least this season, let's start the 6'8 Danny Granger on the 7' Dirk Nowitski not to mention seasoned all-pro vs. Rookie in his first start. However he can't make these guys co-operate with each other on the floor.

So if your looking for a reason you have to look at the top. The brain trust that is Bird/Walsh put this team together. They made choices to keep certain players & send other players away. They are the ones who hired this coach (that's not a bad thing btw) they are the ones who gave J.O. that max deal. So if you wanna give them the credit for everything that is ever right with this club then right now if things are wrong you have to look to them as well.

I know things have changed over the years & I know the closer Donnie gets to walking away from here the more he wants to win it all, but I will say this. This just doesn't seem to be a Donnie Walsh team. I'm not saying that it's not, I'm just saying these guys go against a lot of the things I've known him to choose over the years. I just wonder how much of this is on him? In some ways all of it because he is Birds boss, but I get the feeling it is a mutual agreement kind of thing on players.

On a side note I saw something last night that I've never seen before in all 20 years of attending these games.

I saw Donnie Walsh applauding the team as they went to the bench trying to encourage the team. This was while the rest of the fieldhouse was booing the team.

I've never ever seen him do that before. Usually he sits there like a stone & only moves to get up & go to the back & smoke (I assume). But he was clapping the team.

I don't know why but I found that odd. Remember I've been there with him during 20 win seasons when the boo birds came out quite often & I never once saw him do that.

I don't know if it means anything or if it's just a random observation but I thought it was certainly out of character for him.

Let's look at the players for a min. shall we.

For those of you guys that like to keep in house dirt in house I wonder how well you are going to like Saras? He seems to keep talking about how the team does not do things very well. He seems to really like to open up to the folks back home with how we have some problems here. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but I know some of you can't stand when people say anything like this in the press.

I'm sorry I digressed there for a moment.

I wasn't that impressed with his game that much last night. I really kind of thought that he had a hard time with Devin Harris on defense & Darrel Armstrong bothered him on the offensive end. Not a bad game & certainly he has outplayed my expectations so far, but overall I wasn't happy with his game.

About Harrison. Basically what Rick is going to have to do is determine if David is harming the team with his fouls at a given time. Because as it is he is fouling out of the game with 2 fouls. Now don't get me wrong if he really messing the flow or throwing us in the penatly at a bad time then yank him to the bench. But if not then he has got to let him play through it.

He did not do a good job on Dampier in the 3 min (or whatever it was) he was in the game. That is dissapointing. However I do not want to see another Austin Croshere/Isiah Thomas issue happen. You know where if Austin didn't hit his first couple of shots Zeke would yank him to the bench thus causing Austin to force it or be tentative with it depending on the game. Well I am very much afraid of this with David. He will learn that quick fouls will earn a quick yank & thus I'm afraid he will stop playing hard on defense.

We still need a big man coach for David.

J.O. was good, no complaints about him. When we brought him back in the 4th it killed our run but that was not his fault.

Ron was good, but he has got to get back to getting more boards.

Here is where I have a disonnect with some of you. I thought Jeff Foster never looked better. He was using his body on defense & he was using strength for boards hell he even blocked two shots which had to tie him for as many blocks as he had all last season. (just kidding, about the blocking part)

He is limping & I do NOT want him to hurt himself further, so if he needs to go back to the I.L. then so be it. Don't rush him.

I can't beleive we didn't try Pollard on Dampier.

About Granger. Even though I hate small ball & I really did not like him starting vs. Dirk, I was really impressed during the 4th quarter. Actually at one point in time during the fourth I said it kind of felt like the breakout that we have been waiting for on him. Let's just hope he continues it.

BTW, not that this means anything. But I did NOT see Jon Bender at the game last night. Normally he is on the bench somewhere, I didn't see him. Make of that what you will.

Is anybody even still reading this??? If you are then here are some bonus fruit for you.

In closing I don't know that you can take much away from this game. But then again it seems like I've already said that twice before this season. Let's just hope it was a case of jet lag & that we can upright the ship on Thursday.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd thoughts about the Malaise Game with Dallas....

mmmmmmmmmm... Fruit.

Good post. How did Sarunas' "Injury" look? And how did he look afterwards? I saw a replay of it happening but thats it... just the highlights.

Comment

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

It kind if fits if you think about it. As I watched the game I kept trying to see a sign of a team with high goals and the drive to achieve them. We've been told "One Goal!" and I was looking for some kind of sign or signal that it was more than talk.

Somebody tell me what you see with the 2005-2006 version Pacers that makes you believe they are championship material?

For me, tonight the bar dropped. There's always hope but let's not confuse hope with the cold, cruel reality that we're just not seeing a good contending basketball team right now. The bar now is just seeing if the team can get to a point where they are a good team again. Maybe then we can reassess our position, our strengths and weaknesses, and make some kind of a move.

Don't be surprised if that move involves a personnel change. We might just need a move to get back to being a good team again.

I don't think our championship dreams can be salvaged without it. These players aren't showing me they have what it takes, as a team to get it done. It may not be their fault. Or more likely, it may not be all their fault.

And I do wonder if Carlisle is getting tuned out and/or losing effectiveness and control. Who is really running the asylum?

And Peck makes a good point, ultimately the responsibility for this stops with management.

But, we're 10-7. It's early. What am I worried about? The sky's not falling. They'll get their swagger back and go 65-0 the rest of the way.

Maybe I am just being too harsh...?

-Bball
      Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Malaise, schlamaise....they get paid to play a game to the best of their ability and tonight was a far cry from that. Dallas played last night and looked fresher than us and outhustled us all night.

As for what's wrong, I'm with you, I can not pinpoint a problem because there are likely several.

Ron- looks too nice, doesn't look like his old b-ball self, seems he's toned it down too much. Plus his FT shoothing is awful. Still the best player on this team though!

O'neal- injured again and never goes for an offensive rebound, but noone on the team other than Granger does either. Can't get to the FT line even though he gets hammered regularly. Other than these two complaints, he's been solid this year.

Jackson- I just can't stand to watch him play. Dumb shots, missed layups, attitude.... What happened to the great role player from San Antonio. I think he believes he's much better than he is.

Tinsley- attitude and injured AGAIN!!

Foster- injured....still not in shape, but played solid defense tonight!

Croshere- been great this year, we missed him tonight.

Pollard- been decent this year, should've played tonight

Saras- No complaints, and no complaints about his comments yet. Improving with every game.

AJ- just don't ever want to see him play...our offense goes to hell when he's in.

Granger/Harrison/Jones- too inconsistent

Coaching- Just don't understand why we stand around and watch the shot miss and never go for the offensive board?? Why do we run so many isolations when we don't have the type of team that can consistently do this?

Ownership- This team needs a kick in the *** which very well may require a trade. My vote AJ and Jackson for some role players. Defenders and a guard who can hit the wide open jumper like a Steve Kerr or Paxson. A cliff levingston type who beats the crap out of the other team in the post and sets monster screens.

Well, thank goodness for TIVO so I can breeze through games in about 25-30 minutes

Water

Comment

I have a lot to say, but I just bought a new entertainment center and I have to set the thing up. That will take ME two days.

My main thought is shame on most of you guys! You are up and down like a yo-yo!

Missing two starters, starting two rookies, just back from a long road trip, and still they make a run on a team that beat Detroit 119-82, and San Antonio 103-84.

Just the other day Dallas played San Antonio again and lost 92-90, and you have to know the World Champion Spurs were trying to pay them back. It wasn't a crappy team that beat MY Pacers. Dallas is a very good team.

It seems most are down on them. Not me. I'm sure they will get it together, but even if they don't I'm with them thick or thin, rain or shine.

And shame on the crowd too! Instead of being the 6th man it sounds like the crowd is a life sucker. Teams are notorious for being down the first home game after a long road trip. Whats wrong with the crowd giving the team a lift? All that against them and still they made a run?

And for what it's worth . . . GO JAX!

Comment

Originally posted by Will Galen
            I have a lot to say, but I just bought a new entertainment center and I have to set the thing up. That will take ME two days.

Missing two starters, starting two rookies, just back from a long road trip, and still they make a run on a team that beat Detroit 119-82, and San Antonio 103-84.

Just the other day Dallas played San Antonio again and lost 92-90, and you have to know the World Champion Spurs were trying to pay them back. It wasn't a crappy team that beat MY Pacers. Dallas is a very good team.

It seems most are down on them. Not me. I'm sure they will get it together, but even if they don't I'm with them thick or thin, rain or shine.

And shame on the crowd too! Instead of being the 6th man it sounds like the crowd is a life sucker. Teams are notorious for being down the first home game after a long road trip. Whats wrong with the crowd giving the team a lift? All that against them and still they made a run?

Will,
            I just have to say this because I didn't put it in print before- It is not that they lost. I can live with that. It is how they played the game. They played the game in a way that gave them little to no chance to win.

It's cliched BUT... you have to play "the right way". These players (collectively) did not do that. Not as a team anyway. There was some decent to good individual play along the way, but in a team game that still doesn't cut it.

I could accept the loss if the team, as a team, gave it their all and just came up short. But for an alleged championship contender to continue to play games like this, miss FT's, yada yada yada... something is wrong.

-Bball
            Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by Will Galen

And Dallas was without 3 of their players including starting PG.
              Ever notice how friendly folks are at a shootin' range??.

Comment

It did **** me off when they booed Ron after missed free throws. Did he try to miss them, how does booing help him make free throws.

If fans want to boo the team due to poor effort or even an individual player for poor effort, I can live with that. If the fans boo a player for bad decisions or not follwing the game plan, I can deal with that. But to boo a player for missing a shot, I just don't like it at all

Comment

Last year the fans went out of their way to support the players and the
                  fans saw a team that put out the effort and was cohesive. This year the
                  team is out of sync and not putting forth the effort on defense. Pacer
                  crowds have always responded to effort and selfless play and passion.
                  As the team is now it has none of these things.

So to hear booing last night on TV was not surprising. Granger was really the
                  only player who was playing with passion. I know they were tired and so
                  you can excuse some of the lethargic effort but this type of showing is
                  rearing its head much to often this early in the season.

Stephen Jackson has really been playing poorly lately and he cannot
                  drive into the lane without losing the ball. It was very frustrating watching
                  him play last night. Can we trade him for Murray from Seattle.

owl
                  {o,o}
                  |)__)
                  -"-"-

Comment

the only thing i wanna know is...

why did Rick take Freddy out and put in Jax when we closed it to 6 pts last night? Freddy was part of the group that got us back in the game and Jax hadn't done much of anything all night except complain to the refs and turn the ball over while dribbling.

that brings me to another point... Croshere and Jax should never dribble the ball in an attempt to beat their man off the bounce again. More often then not it ends in a turnover.

the lack of effort, outside of that run in the 4th, bothered me. when the team acts like it doesn't care, then i turn the channel. i just can't stand that!

anyway, those 'racist' remarks you talked about... is this a regular occurrence at the Fieldhouse now? since i live out of town now, i don't get to see the Pacers until they come to DC or if I drive up to Philly to see them. it really wouldn't surprise me if those comments are being made on the regular... although i find it sickening.

Comment

Sounds like Peck was sitting near a group of Bad Joe Fans. It's his duty as Good Joe Fan to let an usher know so they can be removed.
                      PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck
                        It did **** me off when they booed Ron after missed free throws. Did he try to miss them, how does booing help him make free throws.

If fans want to boo the team due to poor effort or even an individual player for poor effort, I can live with that. If the fans boo a player for bad decisions or not follwing the game plan, I can deal with that. But to boo a player for missing a shot, I just don't like it at all
                        I hear ya, UB, but I disagree.

I think the crowd sees what I see. It is a lack of focus by Artest that causes him to miss his free throws. And this is a nice metaphor for the whole team right now: lack of focus.

Don't know what's up with Ronnie. I'm kinda intrigued by Peck's theory.
                        "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

Comment

The main problem of this team, IMO is that they themselves dont BELIEVE.

That spells into no-passion-like games, no hustle, selfishness, etc. It then rubs off to the fans who dont believe, and show it by booing.

I just have to say that it's partially a matter of statistical fluctuation and down-right luck. At least 2 losses (Milwaukee & Atlanta) could have gone the other way in a heartbeat. At 75-71 in this game it could've tured around with Griffin missing, for example. Some shots go down, some lose balls bounce your way, and all of a sudden it's a whole new ballgame.

The point being - if you BELIEVE you can do it - you enhance your chances of doing it. It's that simple, and yet illusive at the same time. It's the duty of Management, Coaching & Leadership to make the team believe. It takes a certain personality to believe even when you're down. On this team I can only pinpoint Saras to be that kind of personality. Maybe JO, Ron and Croshere also. Most personalities (& the rest of the players) get even more down when the going gets tough. Jax, Tins, DH, Freddie - are all in a state of unconfidence. This HAS to change for them to play not only sub-par, but excel and get even better than they were.
                          Changing a personality is impossible, but giving confidence is the job of Management, Coaching & Leadership (MCL).

To end on a positive note - once the confidence is there, and they do start believing - this team will be SCARY!

Comment

Originally posted by Peck

Is it possible that Ron Artest is now taking his anti-depression medications? The reason I ask this is because Ron just doesn't look the same to me. No I'm not talking about his game I don't have any real issues with that, other than his new found desire to not rebound. This is going to sound crazy but Ron's eyes just don't look the same to me. They are no longer wide open & he almost sometimes looks like TMac. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, but I'm just curious if anybody else sees it?
                            I think Ron has trouble playing at PF and at 260, or both. I think we need to keep Ron and JO at their natural positions where they made the all star teams. Yes they are both good enough to play out of position but it takes it's toil. (Remember Rick Smits was better when he lost the weight the team had him put on.)

I also think part of our trouble is Carlisle is experimenting with the wave of small ball teams are playing. I think that's why he's still starting JO at center. He needs to go back to the lineup that won 61 games (when everyone is healthy.)

Of course we are short Reggie and I think JAX is trying to hard to replace him. Jax should just shoot and drive when it's there, and when it's not do like Reggie did and defer to JO. With him at the shooting guard spot this team should be better than the one that won 61 games. I think Granger can play Al's roll.

The bottom line, I think this team hasn't mashed because of the lack of centers to start the season. Plus because Carlisle doesn't have Jeff he's still playing around with the lineup.

Comment

I've been reading a lot of comments and one comparison comes to mind.

KStat's attitude towards his Pistons at the beginning of each of the last two seasons. KStat was ready to go into his garage and shoot himself because his Pistons just weren't getting it done.

And we all know what happened with the Pistons the last couple of years.

But reality must set in... we ain't he Pistons.

Yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X