PDA

View Full Version : Why JO Should win the MVP Award

JOneal7
03-27-2004, 06:09 PM
KG? please. This guy has a STACKED team. Not downing our guys but come on he has guys like cassell,spreewell, and wally! I think JO is more valuable to our team than KG is to the wolves. And they avg pretty much the same. KG with his stacked team is what in the west standings? where as JO has the pacers with the best record in basketball?! KG will go out in the first round and i'll laugh. JO will make the finals and if that happens and KG has gone away with the MVP (we'll know before hand yeah) then that's seriously wrong.
JO Will WIN THE MVP!
Get some signs made or something at canseco man.

Jose Slaughter
03-27-2004, 07:16 PM
I would think putting up the kind of numbers he does, on a "stacked" team, would make the case for KG even stronger.

I think JO will get a handful of votes, but KG should be an easy winner this year. Duncan comes in 2nd.

The big draw back to this is that it could really tick off Shaq & he'll take it out on his playoff opponents.

MSA2CF
03-27-2004, 07:22 PM
The big draw back to this is that it could really tick off Shaq & he'll take it out on his playoff opponents.

:laugh: Maybe he'll go throwing those roundhouse punches at someone, like he did Brad Miller.

Please, Shaq's time to shine has passed...The proof is that the Lakers need Gary Payton and Karl Malone to play for that team to be more than mediocre. In 2000, all they needed was Shaq and Kobe...I believe the Lakers' run is over for some time.

-------------------------------------------------

Back on topic, I think Jermaine should win the award simply because his team has the better record...I think that should be how the award is handed out each year...The team with the best record has the MVP. It just comes down to what player on that team made the biggest impact...I would like that to be the regulation. :cool:

tdeltdot
03-27-2004, 07:41 PM
KG? please. This guy has a STACKED team. Not downing our guys but come on he has guys like cassell,spreewell, and wally! I think JO is more valuable to our team than KG is to the wolves.

The Wolves aren't all that stacked:

-Ervin Johnson/Kandi at C. ( :unimpressed: )

-Hassell/Hoiberg at G. ( :neutral: )

-Wally has only played 20 games, avg.ing 20 mins per. ( :sad: )

-and Sprewell is to the Wolves what S. Jackson was to the Spurs last season - not much more than a 3rd scoring option who takes a lot of questionable shots. He's only shooting .409 for the year, despite leading the Wolves in FG attempts. ( :rolleyes: )

That really just leaves Cassell and KG as the only two sources of excellence on the team.

If I were JO, I wouldn't be complaining about having the Pacers squad behind me rather than that of the Wolves. Don't forget that we've done just fine without him, namely, 4 wins and 0 losses.

Snickers
03-27-2004, 08:24 PM
The definition of a Most Valuable Player gets disputed almost yearly. Some think the award should be given to the league's best player, some think it should be given to the best player on the best team, and the rest think it should be given to Shaq. :unimpressed:

I think the player whose team's success relies most heavily is usually the best choice. So it has to be a pretty good team, and that team has to become not-so-good without this player. Kinda like MJ with the Bulls; without him they were a mediocre team, with him they were champs.

You have to measure what the candidate's team's success is with him, and what it would be without him. It's obviously going to be highly subjective, but that's why we have to think about it....

With KG, the Wolves are one of the top few teams in the league. Without him, where would they be? I don't think the rest of that team is good enough to keep them among the league elite, so I think they'd be in the middle of the pack out West.

With JO, the Pacers are tops in the league. Without him, they've still got a decent team. Probably barely good enough to make the playoffs, even in the East, but would the dropoff be as large as the Wolves' would be?

:confused:

TheSauceMaster
03-27-2004, 09:10 PM
Sorry having the League's best record has nothing to do if JO is MVP or not , If my mind serves me correctly Jordan in the 87-88 Season won MVP and the Bulls didn't have a stellar record that year.

dipperdunk
03-27-2004, 09:23 PM
KG? please. This guy has a STACKED team.

Why do you think if a guy is on a "stacked" team he shouldn't win the MVP? Bill Russell won 5 MVP's what team was more stacked then those Celtics teams? Wilt was the MVP in '67 and that 76ers team had like 4 hall of famers, Bird and Magic both won multiple MVP awards and both of their teams were stacked. Thats just flawed logic on your part. If you look at the history of MVP awards most of the winners came from stacked teams.

http://www.basketballreference.com/awards/mvp.htm

efx
03-28-2004, 12:37 AM
I'm sorry to have to say it but this season I would not vote for JO over either Duncan or KG. I think JO is a great player but he is not on the level of those 2.