PDA

View Full Version : OT: Galyan's v. Dick's

indygeezer
03-27-2004, 10:17 AM
Galyan's...thee Indiana Sporting Goods store!!!

I will now make more of a effort to shop there, just to support an Indiana based company.

I will not be a Dick's supporter.

I find it laughable that just as Dick's is opening, the announcement comes out that Gander Mountain is opening a store just around the corner from them...hehehehehe!!!

Gander Mountain = Bass Pro Shops IMO.
Still not Galyans but I love the irony.

BigMac
03-27-2004, 10:22 AM
Hey Geez, just saw a piece on channel 13 on Dicks vs. Galyans. Dicks claims to have lower prices but they looked at about 5-6 items and they had the EXACT same price. You'd think Dicks would have had the time to price compare with Galyans before opening their doors, wouldn' ya?

I hate Galyans (for the way I was treated by a manager once) but I don't like being misled in the media (advertising) maybe a little more.

Also, Galyan's promised to beat a price by 10%. Don't know what the rules on that are, though.

Roaming Gnome
03-27-2004, 11:04 AM

Not Quite. I now live here in Indy and understand the toe-hold that Galyans has on "Central Indiana", but to call Galyan's "Indiana's Sporting Goods Store" is a total farse! Funny, my hometown of Fort Wayne which is the 2nd largest city in the state is passed on by Galyans. Dick's moved in 3 years ago, and been very profitable. I guess if Galyans is too good for Fort Wayne, Galyans isn't worth my nickle.

Do most ppl consider Central Indiana... Indiana? One of the many examples of this happened Just a few months ago durring a Pacers' game, there was a Chevy commercial... and at the end of it, they claimed "Chevy Silverado, rolling right off the line in Central Indiana". No, they roll right off the line at the Fort Wayne Truck and Bus Plant. Maybe, it's just that Fort Wayne inferiority complex... Who knows?

Suaveness
03-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I have actually never heard of Dick's. And I don't like Galyans all that much b/c its too damn expensive.

Roaming Gnome
03-27-2004, 11:33 AM
I have actually never heard of Dick's. And I don't like Galyans all that much b/c its too damn expensive.

Dick corperate headquarters is in Pittsburgh, PA. They have been out east for a while.

Anthem
03-27-2004, 01:16 PM
I agree... unless it's on sale, who can afford to shop at Galyans?

www.campmor.com

Kegboy
03-27-2004, 01:51 PM

Not Quite. I now live here in Indy and understand the toe-hold that Galyans has on "Central Indiana", but to call Galyan's "Indiana's Sporting Goods Store" is a total farse! Funny, my hometown of Fort Wayne which is the 2nd largest city in the state is passed on by Galyans. Dick's moved in 3 years ago, and been very profitable. I guess if Galyans is too good for Fort Wayne, Galyans isn't worth my nickle.

Do most ppl consider Central Indiana... Indiana? One of the many examples of this happened Just a few months ago durring a Pacers' game, there was a Chevy commercial... and at the end of it, they claimed "Chevy Silverado, rolling right off the line in Central Indiana". No, they roll right off the line at the Fort Wayne Truck and Bus Plant. Maybe, it's just that Fort Wayne inferiority complex... Who knows?

The point is Galyan's is headquartered in Indiana, and Dick's is not.

IndianaMan
03-27-2004, 05:19 PM
DICKS IS REALLY NOT THAT BIG DOWN HERE IN SOUTHERN INDIANA BUT WHEN I COME UP TO THE GALAYNS IN INDY IT IS HUGE COMPARED TO DICKS

sixthman
03-28-2004, 10:24 AM
DICKS IS REALLY NOT THAT BIG DOWN HERE IN SOUTHERN INDIANA BUT WHEN I COME UP TO THE GALAYNS IN INDY IT IS HUGE COMPARED TO DICKS

I wonder if anyone else thinks your post is hillarious? :blush:

ChicagoJ
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
Dick's is based in Pittsburgh.

I'm a Steelers fan.

Years ago, early in the life of the Internet, I wanted a Rod Woodson or Gregg Lloyd Steelers jersey.

I knew Dick's would have one, so I went to look for one at:

www .dicks .com.

That didn't work out very well, by the way. But they did offer to sell me some stuff I didn't want to buy.

:unimpressed:

Hicks
03-29-2004, 07:46 PM
www .dicks .com.

That didn't work out very well, by the way.

:rotflmao:

If it makes you feel better, my friend almost got in trouble with our High School when we were Juniors because his research topic for an English paper was the date rape drug, and he tried the address of www. daterapedrugs .com on the school PCs, and needless to say it didn't give him what he was going for. :laugh:

Gyron
03-29-2004, 08:57 PM
We haveDicks Sporting goods here in NC. I have found they are much cheaper than Galyan's(from when i lived in Indy). Gaylans store can be a little cooler and probably have a better selection(in terms of quantity) but I like Dicks Sporting goods much better. They have hella golf equipment sales all the time.

One other thing notice how I used Dick's Sporting Goods instead of Dicks in my post? Didn't want to be thought of as a Hick's Care Bear :laugh:

ChicagoJ
03-29-2004, 09:29 PM
www .dicks .com.

That didn't work out very well, by the way.

:rotflmao:

If it makes you feel better, my friend almost got in trouble with our High School when we were Juniors because his research topic for an English paper was the date rape drug, and he tried the address of www. daterapedrugs .com on the school PCs, and needless to say it didn't give him what he was going for. :laugh:

Good story, but Jay's_Wife@Section222 walked in while I was trying to kill all the pop-ups. I had some 'splainin' to do.

Chambizzle
03-30-2004, 03:30 PM
I'm glad that none of the guys in this post actually like Dick's

It made my day reading this post especially IndianaMan's

:applaud:

indygeezer
03-30-2004, 03:59 PM
Went to galyan's the day "Richard's" opened. My has Galyan's improved their attention to customers!! The guys in shoes took alot of time to properly fit Geezer Jr. with new soccer shoes and even went the extra mile on new walking shoes for me. BTW they found I should be wearing a 12 EE rather than the 11.5 D's I've been getting. (r u reading this GEL???)

Gave us a family pass to the rock climbing area...free for the family forever and now offer bonus dollars (accumulate 300 and get a $10 off coupon on anything) I noticed that morning that "Richard's" parking lot was overflowing...but Galyans seemed to be doing ok too.

Now let's see what Gander Mountain does to both of them...I order from either GM or Cabela's all the time, so we shall see.

Stryder
03-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Went to galyan's the day "Richard's" opened. My has Galyan's improved their attention to customers!! The guys in shoes took alot of time to properly fit Geezer Jr. with new soccer shoes and even went the extra mile on new walking shoes for me. BTW they found I should be wearing a 12 EE rather than the 11.5 D's I've been getting. (r u reading this GEL???)

Gave us a family pass to the rock climbing area...free for the family forever and now offer bonus dollars (accumulate 300 and get a $10 off coupon on anything) I noticed that morning that "Richard's" parking lot was overflowing...but Galyans seemed to be doing ok too.

Now let's see what Gander Mountain does to both of them...I order from either GM or Cabela's all the time, so we shall see.

I got ya beat. 14EEE. How tall are you? LOL. I'm only 5ft11.

ChicagoJ
03-30-2004, 04:11 PM

I got ya beat. 14EEE. How tall are you? LOL. I'm only 5ft11.

My goodness. Do you get a paddle to go with those canoes? :D