PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disc

brich
11-05-2005, 06:13 PM
This is one of those oddball things to post, and I am not sure if anyone can relate, but what the hell.

Anyway, I was just curious if anybody else has had to deal with herniated disc/sciatica issues. I have two herniated discs. One is mild, and the other one is absolutely torturing me. I have what is knowns as a sequestered fragment, where a piece of the disc breaks off, and it is doing the moonwalk on my sciatic nerve. The pain is basically unbearable. It shoots from my lower back down to back of my right knee, and it feels like a blow torch. Vicodin helps a bit, but you have to go easy with that stuff, since it is wicked addictive. I am only taking it when I really need it.

I had an epidural steroid injection into my spine a couple of weeks ago. It has helped, but I am far from pain free. I can get two more of those within the next couple of months, and the hope is that time/physical therapy will help resolve this. 90% of people don't need surgery, but it is out there as an option.

I have received tons of advice and suggestions from others. Some things have helped, and some haven't. If anybody else has any feedback, then share the love. If not, be warned. Keep your hamstrings stretched, and be careful with posture and lifting. I figured playing footbal for 8 years would come back to bite me eventually, but not at 35.

Evan_The_Dude
11-05-2005, 06:57 PM
I had one when I was like 16 (a weird age to have it). Happened while I was playing ball. I was told to lay down flat on my back, and put my right leg (since it was on my right side of my lower back) across my body towards the left, while stretching my upper body to the right. It took a good 2 weeks, but doing this exercise consistently has rid me of having the problem resurface.

Now if I could just do something about this knee I hurt while getting out of my chair...

Kaufman
11-05-2005, 11:03 PM
See a physical therapist, and though I rarely recommend chiropractory quackery, some people find relief with that. Vicodin is one thing, but another to try is high dose ibuprofen - like maybe 600 mg orally every 8 hours. Sometimes that can touch the pain. See your doctor. (I have to say that part). Surgery is an ABSOLUTE last option. If you are in Indianapolis I can give you the name of some people but I'd avoid it at all costs. You're too young.

brich
11-05-2005, 11:36 PM
See a physical therapist, and though I rarely recommend chiropractory quackery, some people find relief with that. Vicodin is one thing, but another to try is high dose ibuprofen - like maybe 600 mg orally every 8 hours. Sometimes that can touch the pain. See your doctor. (I have to say that part). Surgery is an ABSOLUTE last option. If you are in Indianapolis I can give you the name of some people but I'd avoid it at all costs. You're too young.

I have been doing the physical therapy thing, and I have been seeing an orthopedist. I have also seen a chiropractor for most of the last year, although I haven't seen him much since my MRI confirmed the disc herniation. I live in NY right now, although I do make it back to Indy a few times a year. I am doing most of my pt in the pool, and that definitely helps. I have experimented with ibuprofen and naoprox, over the counter, but they haven't really done much for me. I will ask the orthopedist about a prescription level this week. I am going to try me best to avoid surgery. It really depends on how my body deals with this fragment.

I appreciate the advice.

Evan_The_Dude
11-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Cannibus card for you ;)

brich
11-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Cannibus card for you ;)

:lazy:

Brian
11-06-2005, 11:20 AM
I have scoliosis and degenerative disc disease.So I have awful pain everyday,Ive been on everything from Darvocet to Percocet.Ive tried PT,among ALOT of other treatments.I take 1 and a half to 2 vicodins a day.But like you said,it isnt much fun taking those with them being so addictive.But Ive never (knock on wood) had a herniated disc.

But you do wanna watch if you do decide to take the ibuprofen route of relief,because ibuprofen at that high of a dose can be very dangerous.What my doctor told me to do (and for me this does work) is when your pain gets bad is to take a half or a whole vicodin,and a half or whole ibuprofen at the same time (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR STOMACH BEFORE YOU DO SO THOUGH).So if you take a half a vicodin,take a whole ibuprofen.If you take a whole vicodin,take a half ibuprofen.

And you also may want to ask your doctor about renting a "tens unit".Its the same thing they hook up NBA/NFL players to on the sidelines if they are having back problems.Those things work very well.

brich
11-06-2005, 11:27 AM
I have scoliosis and degenerative disc disease.So I have awful pain everyday,Ive been on everything from Darvocet to Percocet.Ive tried PT,among ALOT of other treatments.I take 1 and a half to 2 vicodins a day.But like you said,it isnt much fun taking those with them being so addictive.But Ive never (knock on wood) had a herniated disc.

But you do wanna watch if you do decide to take the ibuprofen route of relief,because ibuprofen at that high of a dose can be very dangerous.What my doctor told me to do (and for me this does work) is when your pain gets bad is to take a half or a whole vicodin,and a half or whole ibuprofen at the same time (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR STOMACH BEFORE YOU DO SO THOUGH).So if you take a half a vicodin,take a whole ibuprofen.If you take a whole vicodin,take a half ibuprofen.

And you also may want to ask your doctor about renting a "tens unit".Its the same thing they hook up NBA/NFL players to on the sidelines if they are having back problems.Those things work very well.

Is the "tens unit" you are talking about similar to electric stimulation? The chiropractor and PT people have used that in the past, and it offers some temporary relief. I have also had some relief from deep tissue massage. I think the massage actually helps out with secondary problems. When you start walking funny or compensating for the injury in other ways, then your other muscles tend to get overused.

Brian
11-06-2005, 11:46 AM
Is the "tens unit" you are talking about similar to electric stimulation? The chiropractor and PT people have used that in the past, and it offers some temporary relief. I have also had some relief from deep tissue massage. I think the massage actually helps out with secondary problems. When you start walking funny or compensating for the injury in other ways, then your other muscles tend to get overused.

Yes it is.

Kaufman
11-06-2005, 02:06 PM
The dosing on Ibuprofen:
600 mg po TID
Yes it does tear up the stomach, so yes, its nice to have food in there. Also you'll probably need to be on something like a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for your stomach, so for that you might ask for omeprazole or pantoprazole, to protect your stomach from being torn up by the ibuprofen.

Bball
11-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I didn't see this when it was new. Any improvement?
I've had some sciatica/back issues in my day including one LONG bout. The first time I had a flare up I didn't recognize the signs and didn't realize how bad things could get so I pushed it a little too much. It started in the back of my thigh and I thought I had a hamstring problem. Then over time it kept moving around and the pain kept changing from sharp, to dull, to burning...

It started in July of whatever year and I remember I was still dealing with it in March. I don't remember when it finally subsided but I know I went from sleeping in my bed to sleeping on the floor with just one of those foam rubber mattress pads to soften it a little for six months. That seemed to help when I started doing that and stuck to it. But it could've been a coincidence too.

Ouch...

-Bball

brich
11-30-2005, 08:13 AM
I didn't see this when it was new. Any improvement?
I've had some sciatica/back issues in my day including one LONG bout. The first time I had a flare up I didn't recognize the signs and didn't realize how bad things could get so I pushed it a little too much. It started in the back of my thigh and I thought I had a hamstring problem. Then over time it kept moving around and the pain kept changing from sharp, to dull, to burning...

It started in July of whatever year and I remember I was still dealing with it in March. I don't remember when it finally subsided but I know I went from sleeping in my bed to sleeping on the floor with just one of those foam rubber mattress pads to soften it a little for six months. That seemed to help when I started doing that and stuck to it. But it could've been a coincidence too.

Ouch...

-Bball

I am actually doing much better...thanks for asking.

I have had two epidural steroid (cortisone cocktail) injections during the last month and 1/2. The first one gave me 20% relief after a 5 days, which was dissapointing, because that shot hurt badly going in. A couple of weeks later I was 70% better, and then 90%. I had the second one, even though I wasn't sure if I needed it or not, based on the advice of my orthopedist.

Throughout this whole event I have been doing physcial therapy in the pool, and I have worked hard to stretch my hamstrings and piriformis muscles. The difference has been dramatic.

Now I can drive in a car (which I do a lot in my job), and I have virtually no pain. I haven't taken Vicodin for over a month, and I am not taking any anti-inflammatories either.

I am not out of the woods yet, because the shot will wear off, but the orthopedist and pain management people think that won't be an issue.

The other thing I am going to have to do is to be careful about reinjuring myself. Impact sports won't be a good idea for me for awhile, and it may never be a good idea. If I drop some weight, then I am optimistic that I can return to jogging at least a little bit, but only time will tell.

I am just very thankful that the pain has gone away, and I have more sympathy for people who suffer with chronic pain.

Thanks for everybodys advice and help.

RWB
11-30-2005, 12:53 PM
I have flare ups once in awhile. The only thing that worked for me is Orudis.

Kaufman
12-01-2005, 11:31 PM
Happy to hear about your recovery. Take it easy on your spine. You've got only one.

H_Saur
12-02-2005, 05:21 PM
My dad had this, surgery was the only thing that helped him in the end.

Bball
12-03-2005, 04:22 AM
I find I seem to have success with the Dyna Step shoe inserts. Or maybe it only seems that way. In any case, I swear by them now.

I'm not going to "mess with success".

-Bball

Kaufman
12-06-2005, 12:26 AM
BBall, I don't use a lot of orthotics in my practice - these dynastep inserts - are they custom fitted or basically like Dr. Scholls type inserts? Tell me about your experience, if you don't mind. Maybe I can integrate it in. Chiropractors tend to swear by inserts, though I dare say I'm not a big chiropractic supporter at all. But I am curious about your experience.